PDA

View Full Version : New French President Under Fire for Jogging.

Olorin
5th July 07, 10:36 PM
Critics sock it to Sarkozy for jogging

Charles Bremner, Paris
July 05, 2007

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/_42938235_jog_body_afp.jpgFRENCH President Nicolas Sarkozy has fallen foul of intellectuals and critics who see his passion for jogging as un-French, right-wing and even a ploy to brainwash his citizens.

Attacks on Mr Sarkozy's pastime, which he has made a symbol of his presidency, began on the internet as soon as he bounded up the steps of the Elysee Palace in shorts when he took office in May. That has become the icon of his hyper-energetic administration. The grumbling has now moved to television and the press.

"Is jogging right-wing?" wondered Liberation, the left-wing newspaper.

Alain Finkelkraut, a celebrated philosopher, begged Mr Sarkozy on France 2, the main state television channel, to abandon his "undignified" pursuit. He should take up walking, like Socrates, the poet Arthur Rimbaud and other great men, Mr Finkelkraut said:

"Western civilisation, in its best sense, was born with the promenade. Walking is a sensitive, spiritual act. Jogging is management of the body. The jogger says I am in control. It has nothing to do with meditation."

Until "Speedy Sarko" won office, French heads of state shunned physical exercise in public. The late Francois Mitterrand was privately partial to golf, but the reflective stroll was his public trademark.

Jogging caught on in France, as elsewhere, in the 1980s and eight million claim to indulge. But Mr Sarkozy has rekindled a French suspicion that the habit is for self-centered individualists such as the Americans who popularized it.

"Jogging is, of course, about performance and individualism, values that are traditionally ascribed to the Right," Odile Baudrier, editor of V02 magazine, a sports publication, told Liberation. Sports sociologist Patrick Mignon noted that French intellectuals had always held sport in contempt, while totalitarian regimes cultivated physical fitness.

Beyond the self-promotion, some commentators see something sinister in the media fascination with le jogging de Supersarko. The "hypnotic" daily images of presidential running are not innocent, said Daniel Schneidermann, a media critic.

He said Mr Sarkozy used the video images of his jogging as "a major weapon of media manipulation". And some experts have questioned Mr Sarkozy's running style and say that he is not helped by being overweight.

The Times (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,22019818-2703,00.html)

I wonder what they would say of Putin’s pastime? http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/1.jpg

Yiktin Voxbane
5th July 07, 10:44 PM
Mind-bogglingly whacko .

PizDoff
5th July 07, 11:10 PM
People are quite bored in France nowadays?

WarPhalange
5th July 07, 11:44 PM
What they need is to bring back the guillotine. But they'll never be able to catch those damn joggers with their running. =/

ThaiBoxerShorts
6th July 07, 12:06 AM
Wow. I didn't know jogging had a political affiliation.

I jog. Does that mean I'm a closet right-winger?

Olorin
6th July 07, 12:36 AM
Does that mean I'm a closet right-winger?

Well...ya.

Dam fascist.

WarPhalange
6th July 07, 12:49 AM
Wow. I didn't know jogging had a political affiliation.

I jog. Does that mean I'm a closet right-winger?

I see people biking around the school campus. I can tell that they are leftist yuppies. God damn them.

ThaiBoxerShorts
6th July 07, 12:53 AM
Well...ya.

Dam fascist.
...but I'm not a "jogging enthusiast." In fact, I pretty much hate it. I consider it a necessary evil.

Besides, sometimes when I jog, I wear t-shirts advertizing radical Leftist organizations like Planned Parenthood, the Democratic National Committee, and CNN. So I think it balances out.

Olorin
6th July 07, 01:44 AM
...but I'm not a "jogging enthusiast." In fact, I pretty much hate it. I consider it a necessary evil.

I have to admit, jogging totally sucks. I would rather roll five, five minute rounds than jog one mile. Who the fuck are these people who run for fun? What kind of fun is that?

I like this quote:

“Jogging is, of course, about performance and individualism, values that are traditionally ascribed to the Right," Odile Baudrier”

and

“ploy to brainwash his citizens.”

WTF?

Stick
6th July 07, 01:54 AM
That story is absolutly absurd. I can't believe people who consider themselves intelligent are seriously calling the French president's choice of exercise a frightening sign of his obvious right wing (I'm sure someone will say fascist soon) tendancies.

Particularly love the part about how jogging is something only done by selfish Americans.

ThaiBoxerShorts
6th July 07, 01:59 AM
Particularly love the part about how jogging is something only done by selfish Americans.
Which is particularly absurd, because everybody knows Americans are too fat to jog.

Olorin
6th July 07, 02:02 AM
Which is particularly absurd, because everybody knows Americans are too fat to jog.

And the fact that Africans win all the Marathons

ThaiBoxerShorts
6th July 07, 02:07 AM
Who the fuck are these people who run for fun? What kind of fun is that?
My dad (who, by the way, is also a left-wing moonbat -- it's no great mystery where I got it from) used to run marathons. And apparently enjoyed it.

He still power-walks a few miles almost every day, which isn't bad for a guy who's almost 70.

ThaiBoxerShorts
6th July 07, 02:09 AM
And the fact that Africans win all the Marathons
I could make a comment about carrots on sticks here, but that would be culturally insensitive of me.

Olorin
6th July 07, 02:19 AM
My dad (who, by the way, is also a left-wing moonbat -- it's no great mystery where I got it from) used to run marathons. And apparently enjoyed it.

I would rather be punched in face with four once gloves, I would rather endure knee on belly from Phil Elmore, I would rather spend all day reverse punching from Horse Stance, I would rather finish watching this crappy movie (Iron Monkey).

BTW you should show you dad this article, and see what he thinks.

ThaiBoxerShorts
6th July 07, 02:23 AM
I just re-read the article, and I've decided there's no reason to take someone named "Mr. Finkelkraut" seriously.

I mean, what's he gonna do about it, blow up the planet with a giant "laser?"

ThaiBoxerShorts
6th July 07, 02:32 AM
BTW you should show you dad this article, and see what he thinks.
He's American, and therefore self-centered and individualistic. Thus, such behavior is expected of him, regardless his political inclinations.

(Seriously though, he'd probably get a chuckle out of it. I'll email it off to him.)

Steve
6th July 07, 02:53 AM

We're the fattest country in the world for a reason, AMIRITE?

Truculent Sheep
6th July 07, 06:59 AM
Floppy haired blonde politician-type person Boris Johnson wrote a good retort to the fops:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/07/05/do0501.xml

...In the cafés of the Left Bank, they have fastened on what they regard as the single most objectionable and Right-wing aspect of the Sarkozy agenda - and what do you think it is? Do they object to his views on immigration? Are they worried about his plans to make French universities more competitive?

Quite possibly; but their feelings on these questions are anaemic next to their central charge against the new regime. The most appalling thing about the Sarkozy presidency, says Professor Alain Finkelkraut, a leading French philosopher and veteran of the 1968 manifestations, is an event that takes place every morning. The President of France goes jogging! Choc horreur! He exposes the presidential knees to the entire world, says Finkelkraut, and it is extremely undignified...

...The Sarkozy jog, say his critics, is a sad imitation of the habits of American presidents, and a capitulation to the défi Américain as bad as the influx of Hollywood movies, and if you doubt the seriousness of their attack, you should have a look at the Left-wing newspaper Libération, and the French political blogs; and that is why it is now time for all jogging politicians to come to Sarkozy's aid.

I speak as one who rises every morning and makes the pavement echo to the slap of my tread, and I have no doubt that, on purely aesthetic grounds, I would face the strictures of Prof Finkelkraut. It was not long ago that one of my friends and colleagues told me that he was quite put off his breakfast by the sight of me going round the local park at the speed, he claimed, of an elderly hippopotamus.

But I am not deterred by such jibes, nor by the accusation that jogging is Right-wing. Of course it is Right-wing, in the sense that the facts of life are generally Right-wing. The very act of forcing yourself to go for a run, every morning, is a highly conservative business.

There is the mental effort needed to overcome your laziness. There is the pain in the calves and the ache in the lungs, and the keen sense that everyone is looking at you and sniggering.

And then slowly the endorphins start to flood into your brain, and the effort gives way to reward, and the deferred pleasure arrives, and you come back home feeling you could bite a tiger - and, above all, that nothing else you do that day can be quite as painful and exhausting.

FUN FACT: 'Shagger' Johnson had his way (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006150721,,00.html) with a rather ugly class-mates of mine at University. All that jogging must keep his primal urges postively aflame...

billy sol hurok
6th July 07, 07:32 AM
FUN FACT: 'Shagger' Johnson had his way (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006150721,,00.html) with a rather ugly class-mates of mine at University. All that jogging must keep his primal urges postively aflame...
Yowza! A cross between Donald Chump and Al-Gore III, plus a "pearl necklace" joke? Plus gratuitous "wad blowing" inset? Jackpot.

I presume your friend was the Bridgit Jones-looking one?

Truculent Sheep
6th July 07, 08:25 AM
Yowza! A cross between Donald Chump and Al-Gore III, plus a "pearl necklace" joke? Plus gratuitous "wad blowing" inset? Jackpot.

I presume your friend was the Bridgit Jones-looking one?

You mean Anna Fazackerley? If so, yes. She's not a very nice person though, and I can't say any more for legal reasons. And no, I've never fancied her: there were cuter girls on that course...

mrblackmagic
6th July 07, 08:38 AM
I call shenanigans.

emboesso
6th July 07, 09:07 AM
Le Gran Lolzuz.

Someone tell me again why we're supposed to care what the French think about our Middle East policies?

WarPhalange
6th July 07, 09:13 AM
You're saying that as if all of France stands united against jogging.

But fine, I'll answer you:

The same reason other countries should care what we think of them, even though we renamed french fries to freedom fries.

emboesso
6th July 07, 09:26 AM
Pfft. "Freedom Fries" were an American "in your face" joke.

This is typical left-wing pseudo-intellectual hysteria:

French intellectuals had always held sport in contempt, while totalitarian regimes cultivated physical fitness.

Beyond the self-promotion, some commentators see something sinister in the media fascination with le jogging de Supersarko. The "hypnotic" daily images of presidential running are not innocent, said Daniel Schneidermann, a media critic.

He said Mr Sarkozy used the video images of his jogging as "a major weapon of media manipulation".

ROFLMFAO!!!!

WarPhalange
6th July 07, 09:28 AM
Pfft. "Freedom Fries" were an American "in your face" joke.

The joke was on us.

This is typical left-wing pseudo-intellectual hysteria:

ROFLMFAO!!!!

Europe's left-wing is different than our left-wing. Theirs is actually on the left.

emboesso
6th July 07, 09:39 AM
I'd put "The president jogs to manipulate all of us into a right-wing totalitarian regime" in the same category as "The president started a war to make his buddies rich".

Lulzerz.

Oh yeah, that Ann Coulter is WAAAAY over the top.

Shawarma
6th July 07, 10:34 AM
Heh, Frogs play political hardball.

Shawarma
6th July 07, 10:40 AM
Translated, this means: "He has not done anything really worth bitching about yet, so we'll just bitch about this to pass the time until his first fuckup."

WarPhalange
6th July 07, 11:44 AM
I'd put "The president jogs to manipulate all of us into a right-wing totalitarian regime" in the same category as "The president started a war to make his buddies rich".

Lulzerz.

I'd put you in the same category as a pile of shit.

Zendetta
6th July 07, 04:22 PM

Goddam it.

Suggesting that jogging is right wing propaganda is ludicrous, even by the typical standards of left-wing alarmism.

The president's friends were already rich - thats how this incompetent douchebag rose to the 'most powerful' office in the world.

The VICE president started this war at least in part to appease the Saudis and western oil interests by keeping the price of oil high. Its a large part of why he won't reveal the details on his energy plan - it was among other things a plan for middle east oil imperialism calling for 'regime change' long before 9/11.

BTW, Exxon and others just posted record profits, and Iraqi oil rights were given to foreign (non-iraqi) petroleum companies for the next thirty years.

Stick
6th July 07, 04:59 PM
I wonder what they would say of Putin’s pastime? http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/1.jpg

This got me thinking:

Left wing, French television news anchor is interviewing Sarkozy

Le Geraldo Riviera: So, (nibbles cheese) let's talk about your jogging "problem". Why iz eet zat you feel compelled to make a fool of yourself and your office ev'ary morning by running about in your shorts? Why must you engage in such a positivly self centered, un-French, and patently...... American past-time as zat of jogging?

Sarkozy: Well, you see-

(Russian President Vladimir Putin kicks down the studio door wearing his judo gi and black belt)

Putin: SARKOZY! I've been looking for you!

Sarkozy: Wait- what?

Putin: I am making my annual "beat up other world leaders" tour! It is much fun, da? Good for public opinion polls that Pravda can report how I beat up other presidents!

Sarkozy: Now, hold on just a minute! I-

Putin: Come now, tovarich, Merkel took her sankakujime like a man! Face me!

Sarkozy: Fuck that! (Sarkozy jogs off the set, out of the studio, and is quickly lost amongst the crowded Paris streets)

Riviera: 'oly marde! That was perhaps the most singularly patriotic action I've ever seen on the part of a French president! I 'ave never been more proud of our government..... nev'ar!

Putin: ... keeska... Hey, you! (advances on journalist) You'll do!

Riviera: I- I surrender?

Putin: Not yet you don't! (camera fades out)

emboesso
6th July 07, 05:14 PM
BTW, Exxon and others just posted record profits,

The rest is too silly, but this....

Oil company profits are based on a percentage surcharge on the price of a barrel of oil. Ergo, record oil prices, percentage of that = record profits.

Pretty simple math.

WarPhalange
6th July 07, 05:18 PM
So if "someone" ramps up the surcharge for oil, and the companies make $200 Billion a year, you'd be fine with that?

After all, it's just a percentage, right?

Zendetta
6th July 07, 05:33 PM
The rest is too silly, but this....

Oil company profits are based on a percentage surcharge on the price of a barrel of oil. Ergo, record oil prices, percentage of that = record profits.

No shit. Maybe you should re-read my post.

Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe you lack the guts to see what's going on.

Exxon isn't the only party to benefit from high oil prices. The Saudis/OPEC like that stuff too. Saddam was threatening to bring (much) more Iraqi oil to the market, and thus had to go.

Or perhaps you thought this really was about bringing freedom and democracy and trickle-down economics to the benighted people of Iraq?

Regardless, your silence regarding Iraq's oil rights speak volumes.

Pretty simple math.

I think so too. You would benefit from dropping your partisan ideology and "adding it up" yourself.

If you havn't already, I recommend reading Mark Palast and John Perkins ASAP.

(I held back on the obligatory "and turn off Fox News" dig)

emboesso
6th July 07, 05:45 PM
So if "someone" ramps up the surcharge for oil, and the companies make $200 Billion a year, you'd be fine with that?

After all, it's just a percentage, right?

They don't. The percentages have been consistent for years. Its just that in the 90s, when oil prices were at lows, no one noticed. No one called them in front of congress and congratulated them for accepting plunging profits and not ramping up the percentage surcharges.

WarPhalange
6th July 07, 05:57 PM
Plunging profits? Are you serious?

AAAhmed46
6th July 07, 06:14 PM
I jog.

Oh fuck, i must be a libertarian.

emboesso
6th July 07, 07:08 PM
Plunging profits? Are you serious?

You are aware of the problems the oil companies experienced in the late 1980s through the 1990s, aren't you? Oil prices dropping below $20 a barrel, etc.?

When the price of a barrel drops, if your profit is based on percentages, guess what? Profits drop.

WarPhalange
6th July 07, 08:27 PM
You are aware of the problems the oil companies experienced in the late 1980s through the 1990s, aren't you? Oil prices dropping below $20 a barrel, etc.?

When the price of a barrel drops, if your profit is based on percentages, guess what? Profits drop.

Did it drop so low they were losing money?

Olorin
7th July 07, 02:17 AM
What happened to my thread about jogging?

Ip1lnGbvOSM

And what is up with this guy slapping the guy in the Sarkozy mask and then running off? What a bitch!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th July 07, 02:21 AM
I'll never understand why people like Emboesso will defend the rights of oil companies to fuck them in the ass to satisfy their Ayn Randesque dreams of 19th century capitalism.

Olorin
7th July 07, 02:27 AM
19th century capitalism.

mmm...the good ol days!

Olorin puffs a cigar before sipping his scotch.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th July 07, 02:30 AM
I'd smoke cigars if I had a source of income. That's not capitalism, just awesome.

ThaiBoxerShorts
7th July 07, 02:36 AM
I'll never understand why people like Emboesso will defend the rights of oil companies to fuck them in the ass to satisfy their Ayn Randesque dreams of 19th century capitalism.
I suspect it's because he dreams of fucking people in the ass someday, and he doesn't want ass-fucking outlawed before he's achieved the power and status to do it.

emboesso
7th July 07, 07:33 AM
Very funny.

Here's a disturbing fact about the oil industry they've probably never told you on NPR. The government makes more money on every gallon of gasoline sold than "Big Oil" does. Just like they make more money on a pack of cigarettes than "Big Tobacco".

Like I said about "Big Pharma," read the investment pages to learn what really goes on instead of the editorial pages. Find out what really moves the big money in different industries.

WarPhalange
7th July 07, 09:51 AM
Very funny.

Here's a disturbing fact about the oil industry they've probably never told you on NPR. The government makes more money on every gallon of gasoline sold than "Big Oil" does. Just like they make more money on a pack of cigarettes than "Big Tobacco".

Like I said about "Big Pharma," read the investment pages to learn what really goes on instead of the editorial pages. Find out what really moves the big money in different industries.

Yes, but I've never seen "Big Oil" build me a road, or give me social security benefits once I retire, give me a student aid for school, or any of the other stuff government does.

emboesso
7th July 07, 09:59 AM
http://www.exposetheleft.net/video/durbin-cavuto.wmv

Good link, Cavuto pwns Dick Durbin. My favorite line from Durbin: "There is no correlation between the increase in the price of crude and what we pay at the pump."

WTBF? It is demagoguery playing to the education demographics we saw in the Gallup election results from 2000 and 2004. Can anyone with a brain believe that?

By all means, if you want to pay more taxes there's nothing stopping you. How about nationalizing the oil industry in the USA? If the government is as efficient at running everything as you imply, it should be a homerun for the nation.

If the government is making 50 cents profit per gallon on gas, and the oil companies are averaging 9 cents per gallon, who is doing the gouging?

WarPhalange
7th July 07, 10:01 AM
By all means, if you want to pay more taxes there's nothing stopping you. How about nationalizing the oil industry in the USA? If the government is as efficient at running everything as you imply, it should be a homerun for the nation.

I'm sorry, where did I imply that the government was efficient at all?

All I said is that they get a cut of the profits and give it back to the people. Nobody in a government position earns a million dollars per year or more.

emboesso
7th July 07, 10:25 AM

All I said is that they get a cut of the profits and give it back to the people. Nobody in a government position earns a million dollars per year or more.

And that's my point. The government can do all the the things you've identified without such a high tax burden. You can justify ANY tax by pointing out the good things government does. I could propose an annual ownership tax on fretless bass guitars, and justify it by saying all the money will go to the good of the "chilllllldrennnnn." Damn, that sounds good.

Besides, I've never seen "Big Bass Guitar" build me a road, or give me social security benefits once I retire, give me a student aid for school, or any of the other stuff government does.

Ignoring the pork barrel projects, earmarks, etc., where so much of the tax revenue is being wasted, is being remiss.

And yes, both parties are grossly guilty of this. Government should address its own wasteful spending before attacking private industries, who HAVE to trim waste and be efficient, or else answer to shareholders.

To answer Durbin's remarks about CEO's making so much money, its something I covered in the Greenspan thread. It is a bookkeeping necessity. Corporations generally have to "zero out" profits at the end of the year, or else be hit with the "retained earnings tax". Some of it goes to shareholder dividends, which is not tax deductable. Giving it as bonuses to staff is tax deductable as an operating expense. That's why most of the earnings go to bonuses.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th July 07, 01:51 PM
I get it, you really just wish the government would stop building public roads, school, and hospitals so the private sector could take over.

frumpleswift
7th July 07, 01:55 PM

Sure they are. Water and mercury are both in the same category too, they are both liquids at room temperature.

"I think [women] should be armed but should not vote...women have no capacity to understand how money is earned. They have a lot of ideas on how to spend it...it's always more money on education, more money on child care, more money on day care."

"It would be a much better country if women did not vote. That is simply a fact. In fact, in every presidential election since 1950 - except Goldwater in '64 - the Republican would have won, if only the men had voted."

"I would like evolution to join the roster of other discredited religions, like the Cargo Cult of the South Pacific. Practitioners of Cargo Cult believed that manufactured products were created by ancestral spirits, and if they imitated what they had seen the white man do, they could cause airplanes to appear out of the sky, bringing valuable cargo like radios and TVs. So they constructed “airport towers” out of bamboo and “headphones” out of coconuts and waited for the airplanes to come with the cargo. It may sound silly, but in defense of the Cargo Cult, they did not wait as long for evidence supporting their theory as the Darwinists have waited for evidence supporting theirs."

nope...she's not over the top at all, she's a rational well informed person with poignant views.

frumpleswift
7th July 07, 02:06 PM

Well...not directly paid by the government. Dick Cheney has certainly mad a lot of money in the last 7 years.

Excellent question, then again the people who idolize 19th century robber barons tend to have a poorer understanding of U.S. history than they do economics, and that is saying quite a bit.

frumpleswift
7th July 07, 02:21 PM
Ignoring the pork barrel projects, earmarks, etc., where so much of the tax revenue is being wasted, is being remiss.

How can you talk fixing pork and earmarks out of one side of your mouth, and praise bush out the other?

This administration has been all about the pork, the earmarks, the no-bid guaranteed profit contracts, and any other number of type of largess to big business. The Iraq war wasn't started to profit Bush's cronies, but he sure didn't hold back when it came to making it easy for them to profit.

Then look at the clusterfuck that was Katrina, or Bush's secret energy meetings, his tax reform...

And yes, both parties are grossly guilty of this. Government should address its own wasteful spending before attacking private industries, who HAVE to trim waste and be efficient, or else answer to shareholders.

Yes government needs to attack its wasteful spending, but the vast majority of that wasted spending ends up in the hands of corporations that profit from it. Corporations like Halliburton feed off of government waste like scarabs feed on shit, and they have little incentive to trim waste when the government just drives fucking dump trucks of money to their corporate offices.

And other big businesses have been sucking at the teat of government for ages...all of the telecom industry, the airline industry, the steel industry, the medical industry. They shouldn't be able to take government hand outs, turn around and expect a completely free hand in the way they do business.

If you really want to reform government spending and waste, start with biggest source of waste, the contract process, Haliburton and its ilk...not welfare or social security.

emboesso
7th July 07, 04:44 PM
How can you talk fixing pork and earmarks out of one side of your mouth, and praise bush out the other?

Didja miss the part where I said both parties are guilty of it? Thought so. Thanks.

emboesso
7th July 07, 04:46 PM
nope...she's not over the top at all, she's a rational well informed person with poignant views.

If you've ever stumbled beyond ear-range of NPR, and actually seen Coulter, you'd know she's heavy into sarcasm.

Quotes of hers written down, without any context, are well... pointless.

Thanks for trying.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th July 07, 04:47 PM
then how can you praise either party?

emboesso
7th July 07, 04:52 PM
I get it, you really just wish the government would stop building public roads, school, and hospitals so the private sector could take over.

You do realize there's a lot of space into between the positions of "there is wasteful spending in government" and "the government should do absolutely nothing at any time", dontcha? Thought so. Thanks.

Sincerely,
The 19th Century Robber Baron

emboesso
7th July 07, 04:54 PM
then how can you praise either party?

There is more than one issue on which to judge political parties. Shit, there's a bunch of 'em.

frumpleswift
7th July 07, 05:08 PM
Didja miss the part where I said both parties are guilty of it? Thought so. Thanks.

Didn't miss it, I just fail to see how you can practically shoot a load in your pants in praise of the Bush administration when the Bush/Cheney team make 19th century pork look like the New Deal.

If you've ever stumbled beyond ear-range of NPR, and actually seen Coulter, you'd know she's heavy into sarcasm.

Don't listen to NPR...but thanks for playing our game.

Edit: And if you ever stumbled beyond ear-range of Faux News you may realize that Bush & Co. have been fucking this country in the ass for the last 7 years, while a bunch of pandering asshole in congress let them get away with it.

There is more than one issue on which to judge political parties. Shit, there's a bunch of 'em.

If they aren't the party of fiscal responsibility, what are the Republicans good for? That was the only platform they had that made any amount of sense.

Actually, that isn't fair. I don't really think there is that much different between Democrats and Republicans, and the extremists on both sides are psychotic assholes. Unfortunately Bush & Co. are not republicans. I am not sure what they are (other than graft loving, nepotistic, incompetent, greedy egomanics) but they are not cut from the same rug as the Pat Buchanans of the world.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th July 07, 05:40 PM
Actually, that isn't fair. I don't really think there is that much different between Democrats and Republicans, and the extremists on both sides are psychotic assholes.

The Democrats are fundamentally a good party. I'm more left than the party as a whole but most Democratic presidents since FDR have been agreeable. The Republican party, on the other hand, is for people who wish they could still own slaves and gullible hillbillies who think that abortion and prayer in schools are the most important things for this country.

Unfortunately Bush & Co. are not republicans. I am not sure what they are (other than graft loving, nepotistic, incompetent, greedy egomanics)

The entire compassionate conservative platform isn't really conservative so much as regressionist - turning society back to 17th century Puritanism to satisfy their voting base while they spend and spend instead of tax and spend.

but they are not cut from the same rug as the Pat Buchanans of the world.

No, I'm sure they hate Jews too.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th July 07, 05:44 PM
You do realize there's a lot of space into between the positions of "there is wasteful spending in government" and "the government should do absolutely nothing at any time", dontcha? Thought so. Thanks.

Sincerely,
The 19th Century Robber Baron

Do you go out of your way to use toll roads so as to support capitalism?

What do you like about the Republican party? It can't be their frugal spending, since they just send money to corporations instead of schools and hospitals. It can't be their silly social platforms like no abortion, no gay marriage, and guns for everybody, since they never actually do anything about those issues (and never will so long as they can continue to milk votes from them).

frumpleswift
7th July 07, 05:50 PM
The entire compassionate conservative platform isn't really conservative so much as regressionist - turning society back to 17th century Puritanism to satisfy their voting base while they spend and spend instead of tax and spend.

Very true...but regardless of party name political parties usually fall into one of two categories conservative or progressive.

And it isn't even spend and spend, it is cut taxes and spend

No, I'm sure they hate Jews too.

Who doesn't? But seriously a good chunk of the neo-conservative movement was started by conservative Jewish defects from the Democratic party who supported a stronger stance in the Middle East and unwavering support for Israel.

WarPhalange
7th July 07, 08:25 PM
And that's my point. The government can do all the the things you've identified without such a high tax burden. You can justify ANY tax by pointing out the good things government does. I could propose an annual ownership tax on fretless bass guitars, and justify it by saying all the money will go to the good of the "chilllllldrennnnn." Damn, that sounds good.

Besides, I've never seen "Big Bass Guitar" build me a road, or give me social security benefits once I retire, give me a student aid for school, or any of the other stuff government does.

Wow, are you really that stupid? Nobody is forcing you to buy a bass guitar; it's not essential for life. Moreover, most guitar/bass companies are pretty small. In fact, a lot of them come from luthiers. About as small as you can get.

We do need oil and people know it. What if food prices skyrocketed by 50%? Would that still be alright? No, at that point there would be riots.

emboesso
7th July 07, 10:22 PM
We do need oil and people know it.

We do????

Shit, you better tell Dick Durbin. He's under the impression we need caribou.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th July 07, 10:39 PM
Yeah, because soot-covered houses and lung disease are the greatest assests of an industrialized society.

frumpleswift
7th July 07, 10:43 PM
Yeah, because soot-covered houses and lung disease are the greatest assests of an industrialized society.

No, those are pretty good, but child labor is the best aspect. I mean how else do you grease the machinery? They have such perfect hands, small, delicate, and severable.

Kein Haar
8th July 07, 06:33 AM
So that's why MJS usually trolls.

(S)he must know (s)he's otherwise fucking retarded.

Sun Wukong
8th July 07, 08:23 AM

Quotes of hers written down, without any context, are well... pointless.

Thanks for trying.
Sarcasm? that's ridiculous spin and you know it. It's not sarcasm when you say it about something you actually support.

It's only HYPERBOLE and sarcasm when you don't really support the thing that you're being sarcastic about. She's doing the opposite. She's saying outlandish things about the things she does support. which doesn't make her less right wing, it makes her more right wing. If not facist, she certainly verbally espouses their dogma.

Sun Wukong
8th July 07, 08:33 AM
So that's why MJS usually trolls.

(S)he must know (s)he's otherwise fucking retarded.

How was that retarded again? MJS some impressive concepts for a mentally retarded person just there.

Sun Wukong
8th July 07, 08:40 AM
as humorous as this thread was and how the french are such fruit cakes with their right-bashing. this french news paper also had a pretty good piece about the south being full of right wing uber-christians who opened a creationist museum in kentucky.

jogging may not be right wing, but opening an anti-museum sure as hell is.

emboesso
8th July 07, 09:37 AM
Sarcasm? that's ridiculous spin and you know it. It's not sarcasm when you say it about something you actually support.

eh, what?

It's only HYPERBOLE and sarcasm when you don't really support the thing that you're being sarcastic about. She's doing the opposite. She's saying outlandish things about the things she does support. which doesn't make her less right wing, it makes her more right wing. If not facist, she certainly verbally espouses their dogma.

"Fascist." Very reasonable discourse. Lemme get this straight; you're trying to make a point about how over-the-top Ann Coulter's rhetoric is by calling her a fascist? Gotcha.

Sort of like when someone says "Gee, I think there's a lot of wasteful spending in government," comparing that person to a 19th century robber baron.

Lolz...

Keep 'em coming. This stuff is priceless.

billy sol hurok
8th July 07, 10:05 AM
Back on-topic for a moment:

The ignorance of French society gives one a rough sense of the infinite. --Joseph Renan

Okay, let the poo-flinging continue.

Kein Haar
8th July 07, 03:13 PM
Clichés as tired as rented mules are impressive concepts?

While not testifying to the morality of any matter....

It can't be their frugal spending, since they just send money to corporations instead of schools and hospitals.

As much as liberals literally cut checks to...I dunno....The Grateful dead.

Impressive concept!

It can't be their silly social platforms like no abortion, no gay marriage, and guns for everybody, since they never actually do anything about those issues(and never will so long as they can continue to milk votes from them).

What do you mean "never do anything about them"? That status quo is often the point. However, vast inroads have been made into things like concealed carry. That, on the other hand, is not "never doing anything about something".

Impressive concept!

Stick
8th July 07, 03:34 PM
Weren't we supposed to be talking about the French?

frumpleswift
8th July 07, 03:37 PM
Weren't we supposed to be talking about the French?

Name one sociocide thread that doesn't get derailed within 30 posts...except the rottie thread, which gets derailed, but brought back into focus at predictable intervals.

Edit: Also, we all agree that the French suck...so there isn't really anything there to talk about.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th July 07, 10:52 PM
As much as liberals literally cut checks to...I dunno....The Grateful dead.

What the fuck are you talking about?

What do you mean "never do anything about them"? That status quo is often the point. However, vast inroads have been made into things like concealed carry. That, on the other hand, is not "never doing anything about something".

Impressive concept!

That has less to do with Republicans and more to do with gun control becoming a less divisive issue - the only gun control people care about now is that retards and crazy people don't have them, so the Democrats don't care anymore. Meanwhile, the Republican party has cut funding to schools, asylums, hospitals, welfare, and programs to combat illiteracy and crime, and pumped them into corporate welfare and dicking around in Iraq.

jvjim
15th September 07, 01:22 AM
Only in France can a President who purposfully has children out of wedlock be more patriotic than one who goes jogging (PACSing doesn't count btw, at least not to Jesus.)

Cullion
15th September 07, 06:27 AM
Boris Johnson is one of the sanest, most intelligent and honest politicians in the UK.

Take that as you will.