PDA

View Full Version : Cop chokes/wrestles skateboarders: caught on tape

Steve
27th June 07, 12:20 AM
Video Shows Hot Springs Officer Choking, Wrestling Skateboarders

Hot Springs (AP) - Video from the popular internet web site YouTube that was posted by one of six people arrested for skateboarding in downtown hot springs is causing quiet a stir.

Hot Springs police say the skateboarders were in violation of a city ordinance. Now three minors and three adults are facing charges, and the officer who arrested them is on administrative leave.

The video--which was shot by one of the skateboarders, and captured almost the entire incident--was posted on YouTube Monday, and has already gotten more than 30,000 hits.

The kids who were arrested say they were just celebrating National Go Skateboarding Day last Thursday, but police say they were breaking the law.

(Matt McCormack, Arrested for Skateboarding) "He grabbed a kid from around his back by the neck and took him to the ground and choked him."

(Skylar Nalls, Arrested for Skateboarding) "The kid didn't know that he was coming after him. He kind of just grabbed him from behind and took him to the ground and started choking him."

Skylar Nalls first ran toward his friend, snapping still photos, before the 19-year-old Nalls is seen on the video running away from the officer.

(Nalls) "He looked up at me and pointed and he said, 'hey you, come here." And then out of instinct, I just ran."

Officer Joseph Williams gave up on chasing Nalls, but held on to the 13-year old.

Now that so many people have seen the incident on YouTube, the Hot Springs Police Department is being forced to take a strong look at one of their own.

(Officer McCrary Means, Hot Springs Police Dept.) "There is a flood of phone calls and emails...right now there is an investigation of the officer involved in the incident."

Two of the juveniles are under house arrest because it's their second time skateboarding on city sidewalks.

-----------------------------------

Link.

YouTube vid:
EH6AYVn2yw4

D00DZ, IT'S ONLY SKATEBOARDING!

Teh El Macho
27th June 07, 10:43 AM
Stupid kids. They resisted, ran and interefered. What could have been just a warning or citation ended up being what it was because of their stupidity.

WhiteShark
27th June 07, 11:06 AM
I didn't know it was actually a crime to just skate down the street. That is pretty screwed up.

Nice Miranda there too...

WarPhalange
27th June 07, 11:24 AM
Stupid kids. They resisted, ran and interefered. What could have been just a warning or citation ended up being what it was because of their stupidity.

So choking a 13-year old is okay?

Fearless Ukemi
27th June 07, 11:36 AM
Skateboarding is a crime now?

WarPhalange
27th June 07, 11:37 AM
http://www.concepttshirts.co.uk/skate-boarding/skateboarding-not-crime.gif

In some places, yes. Just like you can't drive a car on the sidewalk, there are some places that are too crowded and riding a bike/rollerblades/skateboard creates a hazard.

Neildo
27th June 07, 11:44 AM
what did i just hear?

"i told you to stop, and you didn't that's fleeing. and disorderly conduct."

those kids still don't get it. i think the cop explained himself prety well.

here's a Security guy working for a company i used to work for at a building just down the street from me harassing some beligerent skateboarders. we should get tasers for this shit.
ilhcNXfN6vc

Fuck skateboarders anyway. BMX rules, bitches!

Yiktin Voxbane
27th June 07, 11:57 AM

In public it's probably more preferrable to an arm-bar or a Vulgar Boatman .

emboesso
27th June 07, 07:31 PM
Nice Miranda there too...

didn't watch the vid, on dial up at the moment.

Cops don't have to read Miranda for every arrest. That's a big of an urban TV drama myth.

They only have to read Miranda after the arrest and before interrogation.

Dagon Akujin
28th June 07, 01:03 AM
I got that video yesterday and was invited to complain about the police there:

Hot Springs Arkansas Police Department
Phone: (501) 321-6789
Fax: (501) 321-6708
Chief of Police, Bobby Southard
Email: [email protected]
641 Malvern Avenue Hot Springs, Arkansas 71901

I've seen cops do some pretty insane shit. It always amazes me when a 250 lbs. man has to manhandle a kid who isn't even old enough to drive and weighs half as much. I could tell a bunch of stupid cop stories, but I am le tired.

Fire ze missiles.

Dagon

Sun Wukong
28th June 07, 03:54 AM
I didn't think cops were allowed to choke suspects at all.

DAYoung
28th June 07, 04:20 AM
He did the right thing.

If he hadn't choked that spindly little kid, he might've...you know...skateboarded some more.

PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKES ARE NECESSARY.

Sun Wukong
28th June 07, 05:07 AM
Good point.

Being a cop is hard work, and I for one sure wouldn't want to do it, but you've gotta know where temperance in law enforcement needs to be observed.

He was double head-locking a little girl and a little kid at one point. They weren't even particularly combatative.

danno
28th June 07, 09:51 AM
i've had to remove skateboarders as a security guard. i'm just about as understanding and non-confrontational as security guards get. i ALWAYS talk first. but kids on skateboards, bikes, whatever have really pissed me off in the past. i have seen shopkeepers physically shaking and on the verge of tears because of the behaviour of these kids. they send you nuts, you just want to grab them and throw them out. they try to intimidate you, then when they feel they have no power they act the victim. really, it drives you insane.

they seem to have it in their heads that people just hate skating, see it as a crime, hate them for no reason. it's nothing to do with that.

i like to train in MMA. i don't go do it in the doorway of a shop or the steps of a library and send everyone crazy, then keep doing it when they ask me not to over and over. and if i were to do that, i shouldn't be surprised when people get pissed off.

about the cops use of force... it was unreasonable, but you'll notive he didn't hurt anyone. they were laughing by the end of the video.

Neildo
28th June 07, 10:50 AM
I didn't think cops were allowed to choke suspects at all.

we'll hang out on hastings street sometime. within 20 minutes I'll bet you'll get to watch a cop chokeslam a crackhead against a wall so he doesn't swallow the evidence.

it's hilarious.

Stick
28th June 07, 11:45 AM
That's pretty pathetic, and while I normally side with cops in this sort of situation (bunch of whiny kids going "OMG brutality" and a lot of internet dick waving about pigs and nazis) this time I'd like to see that guy if not fired then suspended for 6 months without pay and fucking demoted.

Danno, I don't give a shit about skateboarding kids, if anyone ever lets skateboarding bother them that fucking much they should just get it over with and have a fucking corinary right then and there- we'll be better off without people that high strung.

Seriously, a 200lbs+ cop shucking children around by their necks, fuck him and the bike he rode in on.

Dagon Akujin
28th June 07, 02:08 PM
These are some run-ins I've had or witnessed myself. None of these are second-hand stories.

Royal Oak, MI.

#1: After the Piston's won the championship a few years ago the streets were full of people. One of the cops I've had problems with before was running around with a taser screaming "You want some of this!" and sticking it in people's faces while it was on. There were cops from other cities helping that night. One of them tackled the Royal Oak cop when he saw what he was doing and drug him away with the help of some others.

#2: That same night a group of Royal Oak cops grabbed a guy who was drunk and tackled him in the street. When the guy was flopping around they cuffed him. They then took him behind a building and punched him in the stomach, kneed him in the stomach, and then stepped on his head when he hit the ground (while handcuffed). A small group of people started yelling at the cops to stop beating the man. One woman ran up to them and they knocked her over (easy to do to a woman in high-heels and a skirt).

#3: One night two cops were standing by a trash can that had a beer bottle on the rim of it. Two guys walked up to the trash, put some trash in, and pushed the bottle in. They said hello to the cops as they did this. The cops ticketed both men for open consumption of alcohol because they "touched" the open bottles.

#4: Two cops were standing by a corner where a bunch of teens typically hang out. A 15 year old skater-kid bumped into a heavy metal trash-can. One of the cops put his leg behind the kid and the other cop pushed the kid over the cop's leg. They both smiled with huge grins as they did this. They arrested him for destruction of public property (for bumping into an industrial trash-can). They kept the kid in the police car until after curfew, then let the kid out. Then they ticketed him for a curfew violation (a favorite tactic among the Royal Oak PD that I've seen used many, many times).

#5: I had a cop once tell me at 2 a.m. that I needed to leave the city. When I asked if I could wait a little because of drunk drivers on the road he told me that he'd rather that I get killed by one.

#6: I've once saw a cop car drive onto the sidewalk, nearly hitting about a dozen people, and then start yelling at everyone to get off of the sidewalk and benches or be ticketed for obstructing pedestrian traffic. They then ticketed a bunch of people for sitting, standing, and even for not wearing shoes. They said that each of these were "obstructing pedestrian traffic", while somehow their car parked on the sidewalk wasn't.

#7: One night a cop got off his bike so I waved to him and said hello. He dashed at me, drew his Maglight, and lifted it over his head like he was going to smash it down on me. He was breathing really hard and had a crazy look in his eyes. I cowered and covered my head. He then calmed down and started checking everyone's IDs to make sure they were old enough to be out.

#8: I have filed police reports there for various other times I've been harassed. I was once told by the cop taking the report that nobody cared about me and that nobody would read it so I shouldn't waste my time filing it. Reason I made a report? Three cops told me I was loitering by sitting on a bench. One of them unclipped her gun and threatened to use it on me if I didn't leave.

Birmingham, MI.

#9: I was skating with a friend and we saw a cop drive by. We got off our boards and sat down. The cop spun his car around like you see in the movies, and accelerated right toward us (sitting down). He got out of the car and the first thing he said was "We don't want your kind in our city!" He kept saying that he hated us and wanted us to find somewhere else to destroy. We were ticketed for skateboarding. I later fought the ticket on grounds that the "skateboarding" law in the area was illegally posted. The officer looked like his head was going to explode as I explained to the judge that I was on the Dean's list at my university and didn't understand why the cop didn't want "my kind" in his city. I also explained to the judge that the cop was very insulting. She found in my favor and told me I should become a lawyer.

Dearborn Heights, MI.

#10: On a snowy Michigan day I cleared off the windshield of my little gold Mazda Miata. I did not clear off the back window, and my car looked funny because it looked like more snow than car. When I got pulled over the first words from the cop were something along the lines of "Just how stooooopid are you?" After everything he said he added something like that. "Licence and registration? God, you are a complete idiot!" When I explained that I worked about 50 yards away at a school he said, "They let morons like you teach kids?! What's wrong with people!? They really let someone as dumb as you be in charge of kids?!" He made me clean off my back window and gave me a ticket for obstructed view and wreckless driving. When I went to court the ticket was dropped because there is nothing illegal about not being able to see out of your back window! STOOOOPID!

More bad cop stories pleez thanx!

Dagon

Neildo
28th June 07, 02:42 PM
Try not being long-haired hippy scum.

Dagon Akujin
28th June 07, 02:48 PM
Try not being long-haired hippy scum.

Would a hippie really drive this piece of shit? Come on now.

http://a334.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/89/l_a657f0fb1e5687ab981198b2c801eaa5.jpg

Dagon Akujin
28th June 07, 02:52 PM
I try not to be too hippi-ish, but the long hair just does me in. I don't even like the outdoors, nature, or the sun. Fuck sunburns, bug-bites, and dirt.

Steve
28th June 07, 03:33 PM
What romance novel were you posing to be on the cover of in that first pic?

Oh wait, are they going to photochop in some pointy ears? Because it might work for the cover of some modern fantasy book as well...

*bitterly regrets not having any image editing software on work computer...*

danno
28th June 07, 10:34 PM
Danno, I don't give a shit about skateboarding kids, if anyone ever lets skateboarding bother them that fucking much they should just get it over with and have a fucking corinary right then and there- we'll be better off without people that high strung.

i was called up to this little shopping centre to keep kids off their skateboards and bikes one time. i got there and what i saw were footpaths thick with pedestrians, many little shops and a big supermarket. there were tyre skidmarks everywhere, chips in paint obviously from bikes being leaned up against the walls, tyre marks on walls... and this whole place had only been built about 4 months ago. kids were sitting in groups of roughly 15 or so near doorways. an old woman with her walking frame had to navigate her way through the kids who didn't even notice her. they'd ride at speed through crowds and through the parking lot, causing cars to slam on brakes and beep their horns. they left their bikes in piles in the disabled parking area. they dropped rubbish everywhere. they swore aloud, shouted things at people driving by for no apparent reason.

whenever someone asked them to get off their bikes/skateboards in the shopping centre, they'd just tell them to get fucked. there was one guy in particular from the bakery who they called a homo every time he walked past. they were threatening people and threatening to damage their property.

people who not only worked there but shopped there regularly told me their stories, and EVERYONE was SO angry. they were sick to death of it, it had been going on for months. the first day i was there i had to stop this guy who ran out and just started kicking their bikes. this is the chap i mentioned before who was on the verge of tears. i thought he was just crazy, but after a couple of weeks there i decided that many people would react the same way. these kids were masters at pissing people off. they'd say everything under the sun because they knew they couldn't be touched.

at first i just stopped the kids from riding on the footpath. i started talking to them, getting to know them. i explained to them how people were feeling. i stopped them from shouting shit and insulting people. like all humans do they'd push the rules as far as possible, like scooting along on one pedal as if it weren't riding. everthing i asked, they would test like this. but overall it seemed to be working ok. at the very least, things were better than before.

then i got a call from my boss saying that i wasn't hard enough on them. i had to do more. they wanted the kids out of there altogether. i didn't feel there was much else i could do legally, so i continued the way i was, and someone else was eventually given the job.

now whenever i see a 14 year old skating i feel slightly pissed off for no good reason.

Stick
28th June 07, 11:30 PM
Your experience with skating and biking kids is completely different from mine, I've never seen anything like that.

Frankly, even when I've been harassed by them, well.... they're like 14, I mean I'm not a big guy, but honestly I can't do anything but laugh at some suburban lump of smegma that just figured out conjugated cursing like "cocksucker" and "shitfucker". Ah well, suppose I'm not an old lady either.

danno
29th June 07, 12:56 AM
yes, i had the exact same attitude. i was on the side of the sakteboarders really. but even name calling can wear you down after a while. imagine them just doing that in the front of your shop every day? you just end up going bananas.

Sun Wukong
29th June 07, 07:45 AM
skater's don't piss me off, but i do get a little irritated every time i see some dumb bastard "busting a sag" or whatever the hell that's supposed to be.

I've never in my life figured out what the hell that was supposed to be in the way of fashion statments.

Fearless Ukemi
29th June 07, 02:11 PM
It's mimicking urban kids wearing hand-me-downs that were too big for them.

Sun Wukong
29th June 07, 08:18 PM

Jesus, finally! It's like I've been brought out of the tunnel into the light.

billy sol hurok
29th June 07, 08:56 PM

Who, in turn, are mimicking jailbirds.

missilepenguin
13th July 07, 03:41 PM
Who, in turn, are mimicking jailbirds.

not just plain-old poor?

Shawarma
13th July 07, 08:27 PM
The reason skater kids wear baggy pants is, allegedly, because the hardcore gangstas would get thrown in prison and have their belts confiscated. Then when they got out, they'd become uncomfortable wearing belts and just let their pants sag, and the neighbourhood kids would look at them and say "Whoah, there goes that hardcore gangsta, I want my pants to sag just like his!"

Kein Haar
14th July 07, 09:54 AM
There's a lot of things poor people can't afford.

Belts aren't one of them. Neither are cigarettes or booze.

Houses and new cars, yes.

WarPhalange
14th July 07, 05:47 PM
And good laywers.

Sun Wukong
14th July 07, 06:24 PM
And good laywers.

Zing!

Shu2jack
20th July 07, 08:58 PM
Saggy pants is actually a smart thing. Think about it. Americans are a bunch of fat fuckers getting fatter. By buying oversized pants you can eat all the shit you want and not have to worry about going back to buy bigger pants.

OZZ
21st July 07, 07:36 AM
Regarding the video..cops hate chasing people. If you make a cop run, and you are caught, prepare to get beat.
End of story.

Gezere
21st July 07, 02:58 PM
Yes, if he deserves it.

Gezere
21st July 07, 03:06 PM
The reason skater kids wear baggy pants is, allegedly, because the hardcore gangstas would get thrown in prison and have their belts confiscated. Then when they got out, they'd become uncomfortable wearing belts and just let their pants sag, and the neighbourhood kids would look at them and say "Whoah, there goes that hardcore gangsta, I want my pants to sag just like his!"
Listen up white pple.

Shawarma is pretty much right on the money.

"Sagging" came from the prison system becuase the clothes they got issued didn't always fit right or they didn't have the right size, etc. Belts aren't allowed because yo might hang yourself or someone else. When they got out they it caught on and was seen as a badge of serving time. It blew up and now you have everyone doing it.

I personally never liked the style and my parents wouldn't let me anyways. My dad would always complain about kids trying to act like they were jailbirds.

Equipoise
21st July 07, 09:17 PM
Regarding the video..cops hate chasing people. If you make a cop run, and you are caught, prepare to get beat.
End of story.

Haha.

Gumby
25th July 07, 04:25 AM
I personally prefer people who attempt to dress like "thugs" or "gangstas"

Reminds me of high school when all the seniors had off for a week while the rest of the school did testing. We would basically either go to the cafeteria or gym. While playing baseball outside, we had a gangsta for a left fielder. Watching him trying to catch a fly ball and hold his pants up at the same time was priceless.

In short, lots of extra clothing for you to grab =)