PDA

View Full Version : Racial Quotas & NYC Schools

emboesso
26th June 07, 07:46 AM
So what's the best old adage for this?

"We've come full circle...." or "The chickens have come home to roost," "what's good for the goose etc," or maybe just an old fashioned "I told ya so."

A minority student is complaining that a white student is taking up her seat at an elite NYC public school because a federally mandated quota system allowed white students with lower grades in ahead of her.

The minority student's lawyer is calling the rejection "unconstitutional."

I can only assume that our two New York State members of the US Senate are glad that the newest members of the US Supreme Court did indeed get approved and can overturn this fiasco.

Or maybe racial quotas are constitutional in some places but not in others, depending upon whose ox is being gored. But then again, that wouldn't quite fall in line with old "equal protection under the law" thingee.

http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=483764

Race quota comes between Indian girl and elite NY school

New York, June 26 (PTI) An 11-year old Indian-American girl was denied admission to an elite public school here because of a race-based quota system that was established in 1974 following a federal court order.

Nikita Rau's Indian descent came in the way of her entry into the Mark Twain School in Coney Island, an institution that attracts gifted students, as being a "minority" student meant attaining a higher cut-off mark in the admission test.

"I feel bad because I would have gotten in if I were white," Nikita said. The education officials agreed that it was unfair but said they had no choice but to follow the court order until it is overturned.

The quota system was originally meant to boost the enrolment of minorities. The judge had allocated 60 per cent seats to the whites and 40 per cent to the minority students.

The racial quota was established to achieve desegregation but Nikita's father Anjan Rau, a Brooklyn resident who came to the US from India in 1982, said the situation has changed much since then.

"The country believes in racial equality and we should not face this in America," he told the New York Post.

The family said it received a shock when they found that the school had denied admission to Nikita who scored a 79 in the admission test, when white students with lower scores were admitted and they were considering a possible legal remedy. Nikita as also her parents are US citizens.

She was classified as minority and needed a score of 84.4 to be accepted but white students with score of 77 were admitted.

Nikita's mother Kanchan Rau told the Post that when she discussed the disparate treatment with school's Regional Enrolment Director Paul Helfman, he said, "I agree with you: It's not right, it's not fair - but there's nothing I can do."

Rau said her daughter reacted with "surprise and shock" after being told her skin tone was keeping her out of the school.

Education Department spokesman Andrew Jacob said, "Although we strive to make our enrolment process as equitable as possible, we must comply with the federal court order."

The city school system has only one other school, in Queens, that operates under a court-mandated desegregation order that takes an applicant's race into account for admissions.

The Raus' lawyer, Rosemarie Arnold, last week wrote to school officials, urging them to reconsider their rejection of Nikita, calling Mark Twain's quota system "antiquated," and saying, "The unconstitutional rejection of my client constitutes discrimination."

She noted that the US Supreme Court currently is considering a case that could end racial quotas in schools nationwide, including Mark Twain.

Meanwhile, Schools Chancellor Joel Klein said here that the Education Department would end the racial quota system if the Supreme Court approves it.

Yiktin Voxbane
26th June 07, 08:04 AM
This'll be an interesting one to keep tabs on .

Quite the pickle and an absolute minefield on the Legal front .

TM
26th June 07, 09:27 AM
Quotas are stupid. This has never worked.

Question!
26th June 07, 01:54 PM
I agree. Racial quotas are dumb.

WarPhalange
26th June 07, 01:55 PM
You know who else thought so? Hitler.

Sun Wukong
26th June 07, 06:41 PM
She noted that the US Supreme Court currently is considering a case that could end racial quotas in schools nationwide, including Mark Twain.

Probably not a bad idea, but as soon as they do there are going to be a fresh round of discrimination lawsuits.

Question!
26th June 07, 07:05 PM
On what basis do you think they will be able to file discrimination lawsuits if the quotas are removed?

Truculent Sheep
26th June 07, 07:18 PM
Quotas are a kind of charity, and nothing degrades more than charity.

Quikfeet509
26th June 07, 07:22 PM
The quotas obviously need to be in place to protect whites students, who may not have the strict upbringing that focuses on academic achievement, from being pushed out by Indian-American children. Whites obviously are disadvantaged in terms of their upbringing, since they are allowed to date, play sports, and smile, all of which are known causes of academic distraction. While some conservatives would love to erroneously blame white kids' parents for not raising them with an academic focus, these problems are obviously endemic to the system and require quotas to even out the playing field.

ironlurker
26th June 07, 09:28 PM
The quotas obviously need to be in place to protect whites students, who may not have the strict upbringing that focuses on academic achievement, from being pushed out by Indian-American children.
100 years ago it was Jews instead of Indian-Americans. Many Ivy League schools set official or unofficial maximum limits for Jewish enrollment even halfway through the last century.

It's not surprising that you see this effect with waves of immigrants, especially those who have come from the Middle East/South and Southeast Asia over the past decades. It's the other end of "brain drain." Young professionals, academics, and ambitious business people are frustrated by corruption and patronage networks in their old countries so they come to the US. I'd say in many ways that it's a matter of self-selection rather than any cultural over-achiever mold.

If it's any consolation to the Indian students, in a few generations they'll be Americanized enough to either fail properly like everyone else or not care.

Ragnarok2006
28th June 07, 05:15 PM
Nobody cares if an Indian is discriminated against.
It only matters if they are black.

Quikfeet509
30th June 07, 08:29 AM
If it's any consolation to the Indian students, in a few generations they'll be Americanized enough to either fail properly like everyone else or not care.

Sometimes it doesn't take multiple generations. My in-laws fled Vietnam in 1975, came to America and immediately started working BS jobs while getting their associate's degree at a community college at night. Two years after they came to the US they had their degree. My father-in-law doesn't really keep track of his age so that he can avoid retirement. After Katrina, he spent one day in a shelter in Baton Rouge before he went out and found a job - he couldn't stand to just sit there and talk to people all day. He literally had a new job two days after Katrina while everyone else was still recovering from the shock.

My wife, on the other hand, is less than motivated to build up her acupuncture practice. I'll call her to see how her day is going and she'll say "I don't have any patients for the rest of the day so I'm at the mall at the new Puma store".

One generation is all it takes sometimes.

Truculent Sheep
30th June 07, 10:03 AM
My wife, on the other hand, is less than motivated to build up her acupuncture practice. I'll call her to see how her day is going and she'll say "I don't have any patients for the rest of the day so I'm at the mall at the new Puma store".

One generation is all it takes sometimes.

Why does she want a Puma? Ocelots are much better value!

Speaking seriously, though, I wish I had your Father-In-Law's motivation. What's his secret?

Shawarma
30th June 07, 10:24 AM
He credits his kettlebell training.

Quikfeet509
30th June 07, 10:26 AM
Why does she want a Puma? Ocelots are much better value!

Speaking seriously, though, I wish I had your Father-In-Law's motivation. What's his secret?

I think it was part of his upbringing to work until you die or too debilitated to work. The guy's average work week is about 50 hours and he only takes vacation to see my son.