PDA

View Full Version : The Console Wars Continue: Nintendo Has Finally Surpassed Sony in Sheer Market Value

Stick
26th June 07, 02:37 AM
This just in, nerds; Sony has been overcome by the unstoppable gaming juggernaut that is Nintendo. Proving once and for all that this GIF was right all along

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/itprintsmoney.gif

Nintendo surpasses Rival Sony in market value

by Bithika Khargarhia - June 25, 2007 (http://www.themoneytimes.com/articles/20070625/nintendo_surpasses_rival_sony_in_market_value-id-105311.html)

Nintendo Co. currently enjoying the sweet taste of success in the gaming industry, has entered the top ten of Japan's most valuable companies for the first time with a value of 6.54 trillion yen ($53 billion), surpassing its chief rival Sony Corp. in market value.

Kyoto, western Japan-based Nintendo now joins such globally renowned names as Toyota Motor, Honda Motor and Canon on the list of the 10 most valuable Japanese companies.

"Nintendo is a market leader in everything it does now, which is basically the handheld as well as console gaming market," observed Hiroshi Kamide, an analyst at KBC. "We haven't seen Nintendo being a market leader in both products for over a decade."

Shares of Nintendo jumped to a record 46,350 yen, valuing the company at 6.57 trillion yen ($53 billion), and surpassing Sony's 6.48 trillion yen capitalization in trading on Monday, as per reported by business site Bloomberg.

According to game magazine publisher Enterbrain and research firm NPD, Nintendo's Wii game console has outsold Sony's PlayStation 3 by three to one in Japan and by more than two to one in the United States so far this year.

Nintendo’s recent rise has been driven by the surging demand for its DS handheld game players and the popular Wii video game devices.

Among the trio of next generation gaming consoles, Nintendo has emerged as the numero uno in May for the fifth consecutive month after selling 338,000 units of the popular Wii video game devices in the United States, repeatedly outshining both its rivals Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Sony’s PlayStation 3 in the US video game consoles market.

The more-powerful systems, Sony’s PlayStation 3 and Microsoft’s Xbox 360, in May, again lagged behind in the fierce battle for dominance in the booming gaming consoles market by moving 81,600 and 154,900 units, respectively, as per the fresh sales results provided by a market research firm, NPD Group Inc.

"It is becoming quite clear that Nintendo is taking back its market share from Sony in the console market while well defending its stronghold of portable games," said Takeshi Koyama, an analyst at Mizuho Securities.

In the hand-held category, Nintendo DS remained the most popular game system of any kind in April, with impressive sales of 471,000 units, ahead of PlayStation Portable, or PSP, with 183,000 units. Nintendo DS is a portable game player that is still selling briskly more than two years after its introduction.

Launched in November last year, Nintendo’s Wii console retails for $US250, while PS2 costs only $129. The PS3 and Xbox 360 start at $499 and $299 , respectively, while their high-end versions are priced at $US599 and $US399(Xbox 360 Premium System) and $US479 (Xbox 360 Elite System), respectively.

Besides Nintendo console's U.S. price, which is just half the cost of the least-expensive version of PS3, its motion-sensitive controller that has been popular with mainstream gamers as well as new audiences like senior citizens and very young children has helped build buzz for the machine, and made it more appealing to some consumers.

Sony, which has dominated the $30 billion game industry over the past decade with its PlayStation and last-generation PlayStation 2, has suffered production delays and slow sales of PS3 gaming players.

Launched late last year, PS3 is Sony Computer Entertainment's third video game console and the successor to the 7-year-old PlayStation 2 which lagged behind its chief rival Wii due to its high prices and lack of attractive software titles.

The world's biggest maker of video-game consoles, Sony is also a leading manufacturer of electronics, video, communications and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets.

So, apparently, there's something to be said for designing, producing, and selling an innovative gaming system (DS and Wii) that actually turns a profit on every unit sold.....

Huh, go figure.

Sirc
26th June 07, 02:40 AM
I love my Wii. I love it more than most of the people I come in contact with on a daily basis. It is seriously one of the most entertaining things I've ever owned.

Steve
26th June 07, 02:41 AM
I gots a Wii, no DS.

But then I just bought an XBOX 360 elite.

I guess I can't talk.

Stick
26th June 07, 02:43 AM
I have a DS and an XBox360.

Steve
26th June 07, 03:11 AM
Then we both win?

jedikv
26th June 07, 05:14 AM
I have a DS and an XBox360. Me too with plans to get the Wii at some point.

Neildo
26th June 07, 11:36 AM
I like my PSP, But mostly because it's haxxored and i rip off Sony on a daily basis.

I'm getting a Wii and a 360. Fuck the PS3.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 07, 03:49 PM
All three systems are boring as shit.

WarPhalange
26th June 07, 06:02 PM
Go outside.

Halfrican
26th June 07, 06:48 PM
I have a Wii and a XBox 360 Elite! LOL OWN! Also my PC IS FASTER than yours. And so is my car.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 07, 08:46 PM
The 360 Elite is the biggest fucking sham in the industry. People have no right to bitch about the PS3 when that monstrosity is storming around the marketplace.

Halfrican
26th June 07, 09:04 PM
What the hell are you talking about? I sold my Premium to get a Elite, HUGE difference on my TV between component and HDMI. Also the 20gb hard drive is way too fucking small.

So for $80 I get a hard drive 6x the size of the original, and a much better picture quality.

My TV has a resolution of 1366x768 and running the 360 on 720p makes the TV up convert 720 lines of resolution into 768 lines of resolution which slightly degrades the picture.
Using 1080i causes the TV to convert the picture to 768 non-progressive for a slightly degraded picture.
Using 1080p causes the TV to downconvert to 768p giving you a near flawless image on a 768 vertical resolution LCD TV, everything is sharp and the colors are actually much more vibrant.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 07, 09:12 PM
What you're paying for is a larger HD because Microsoft sucks too much to let you easily put your own HD in the system, and a dated specification of HDMI. Congratulations on your brilliant purchase dipshit.

Mas
26th June 07, 09:54 PM
I have a PS3 and a Wii, I enjoy both, but the Wii is sometimes a little too gimmicky for me.

But then again my PS3 gathers dust when it comes to games. I use it to watch movies and stuff from a server, and in that regard its at least useful.

Maybe not $600 useful, but I have to tell myself something so I can sleep at night.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 07, 09:57 PM
The real problem with the PS3 is only for people who already bought one. There's a lot of cool shit that's always just around the corner, but by then the price will drop, fucking current owners in the ass.

Mas
26th June 07, 10:09 PM
The real problem with the PS3 is only for people who already bought one. There's a lot of cool shit that's always just around the corner, but by then the price will drop, fucking current owners in the ass.
On the button.

All those hopes we had of the Promised Land on a hill; and all we really got was a dirt clod in New Jersey.

But hey, we still have MGS4.

Neildo
26th June 07, 10:17 PM
All i know is Ace Combat 6 is gonna be 360 exclusive so i have to get one.

Neildo
26th June 07, 10:18 PM
oh and GTA4.

Steve
26th June 07, 11:06 PM
Yeah and I did get my elite at 20% off. With WA sales tax (8.9%!!) I got it and two games for ~$542.

I'm happy with it.

Mas
26th June 07, 11:43 PM
All i know is Ace Combat 6 is gonna be 360 exclusive so i have to get one.

oh and GTA4.

Ace Combat is exclusive to 360, but only for a limited time.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/timed-exclusive/

And GTA4 isn't either, but I bet you know that.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 07, 11:56 PM
GTA4's episodic content is supposedly going to be 360 exlcusive, but I doubt it will last. I'm also not keen on paying for new material in a goddamn GTA game. fuck more storyline missions.

Steve
27th June 07, 12:05 AM
GTA4's episodic content is supposedly going to be 360 exlcusive, but I doubt it will last. I'm also not keen on paying for new material in a goddamn GTA game. fuck more storyline missions.

I'll buy a new GTA game for the sake of it only loading once, never wait for load time again. And if you haven't been following the GTA4 thread, there is supposed to be a lot more freedom in what you do, ie not so much worrying about storyline stuff.

If only more games were like that.

Mas
27th June 07, 12:17 AM

Oh right forgot about that. I hate episodic bullshit, I'm waiting until all of Half Life's episodic stuff all comes out in the same package.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th June 07, 12:38 AM
I'll buy a new GTA game for the sake of it only loading once, never wait for load time again. And if you haven't been following the GTA4 thread, there is supposed to be a lot more freedom in what you do, ie not so much worrying about storyline stuff.

If only more games were like that.

I thought the 360 version was going to have load times or multiple discs or some shit due to the limits of its format.

Steve
27th June 07, 12:46 AM
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1231269&postcount=41

Halfrican
27th June 07, 12:53 PM
What you're paying for is a larger HD because Microsoft sucks too much to let you easily put your own HD in the system, and a dated specification of HDMI. Congratulations on your brilliant purchase dipshit.

Dated HDMI looks amazing, and I don't care how you look at it, $80 for HDMI and a much larger hard drive is an amazing deal. Don't be sore because you don't have one fagg0t