PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who watch Pro wrestling: Chris Benoit found dead with family

Steve
25th June 07, 09:37 PM
Wrestling Champ Chris Benoit Found Dead with Family
Death Comes a Day After Wrestler Canceled Pay-Per-View Appearance
June 25, 2007

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/chris.gifWrestling star Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son Daniel were found dead in their suburban Atlanta home Monday. Authorities are investigating the deaths as homicides.

Benoit, 40, was scheduled to spar against C.M. Punk in a pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston for the Extreme Champion Wrestling title. But Benoit canceled before the event, citing personal reasons.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department told ABC News that Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, leading concerned parties to ask police to do a "welfare check."

When sheriffs arrived at the Benoit home, they found the wrestler, his wife, and their son dead.

There was no sign of gunshot wounds or stabbing, according to Pope. But they are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation, or strangulation. Pope noted he was not confirming any of these causes — just not ruling them out at this time.

An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. However, it could be weeks before there is a result.

A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Benoit was known in the ring as the "Canadian Crippler."

Following the announcement of the discovery, World Wrestling Entertainment issued a statement: "Chris was beloved among his fellow superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss. WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy."

WWE announced that it would drop its planned line-up on the USA Network to air a three-hour tribute to Benoit.

In a sport known for bravado and bullying, Benoit was very much beloved and respected by his peers. He was passionate about his profession and served as a mentor to many younger, up-and-coming performers. As an indication of how much the fans enjoyed him, when the crowd in Houston's Toyota Center learned Sunday night that he wouldn't be there, they chanted, "We want Benoit!"

Benoit's wife was also in the wrestling business as a valet and manager. She was known as "Woman." The two met while they both worked for the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling, which was owned by Ted Turner until Vince McMahon's WWE bought it out.

---------------------------------------------------

Link. (http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/chris.gif)

I gave up on pro wrestling LONG ago but I hear that this guy was pretty famous so I thought I'd put this story up for anyone who might be interested.

RIP, Chris.

WarPhalange
25th June 07, 09:47 PM
I've definately heard the name before, so he must be famous.

Steve
25th June 07, 09:54 PM
Him and his family, it's really a shame. I hope they catch the fuckers that did it.

PizDoff
25th June 07, 09:59 PM
RIP, I liked watching the guy

Steve
25th June 07, 10:03 PM
A couple tributes to Chris, before he passed on:

okXRB3qnue0

G8ulMi9OTfw

McUvirb9XGY

Yiktin Voxbane
25th June 07, 10:04 PM
I'd be questioning Hulk Hogan and the NWO .

Seriously a sad loss .

Sun Wukong
26th June 07, 12:07 AM
FAYETTEVILLE, Ga. (AP) -- WWE wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife, and son were found dead Monday and police said they were investigating the deaths as a murder-suicide.

Detective Bo Turner told television station WAGA that the case was being treated as a murder-suicide, but said that couldn't be confirmed until evidence was examined by a crime lab.

The station said that investigators believe the 40-year-old Benoit killed his wife, Nancy, and 7-year-old son, Daniel, over the weekend, then himself on Monday. A neighbor called police, and the bodies were found in three rooms.

Lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff's Department, told The Associated Press the deaths were being investigated as homicide, and that the causes of death awaited autopsy results on Tuesday. Pope said the bodies were discovered about 2:30 p.m., but refused to release details.

The house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and a double-iron gate. On Monday night, the house was dark except for a few outside lights. There was a police car in front, along with two uniformed officers.

Benoit was a former world heavyweight and Intercontinental champion. He also held several tag-team titles during his career.

"WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family's relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy," the federation said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the "Vengeance" pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called "personal reasons."

The native of Canada maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The WWE canceled its live Monday Night RAW card in Corpus Christi, Texas, and USA Network aired a three-hour tribute to Benoit in place of the scheduled wrestling telecast.

"My relationship with Chris has extended many years and I consider him a great friend," Carl DeMarco, the president of WWE Canada, said in a statement. "Chris was always first-class -- warm, friendly, caring and professional one of the best in our business."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/06/25/wrestler.dead.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

__________________________________________________ _____

According to a police press statement, this looks like it could have been a murder suicide.

Also, I suspect Steroids as the primary culprit here.

Olorin
26th June 07, 12:11 AM
Chris Benoit was a great technical wrestler. His matches with Kirt Angle were outstanding in that they did not rely on stupid stunts but on athleticism.

It will be interesting to hear the final police report.

Dagon Akujin
26th June 07, 12:01 PM
Fox News just reported that Benoit strangled his wife and kid and then hung himself.

:*(

WarPhalange
26th June 07, 12:19 PM
So far it's only Fox News reporting it.

Steve
26th June 07, 12:56 PM
More than fox, now.

SI.com's story on the killings. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/06/25/wrestler.dead.ap/index.html?cnn=yes)

Fearless Ukemi
26th June 07, 03:44 PM
This is both shocking and tragic. He was one of my favorites when I used to watch wrestling every week. My thoughts go out to his other two children.

Odacon
26th June 07, 04:38 PM
As a former wrestling fan (It's gone rubbish now) this is a a sad day for wrestling, another of my favourites gone (eddie guerrero R.I.P.). The disturbing revelations that he was responsible make it even worse.

Sun Wukong
26th June 07, 06:33 PM
I'm not gonna shed any tears for the bastard. He killed his own child. Fuck 'em, the lousy cunt.

Question!
26th June 07, 07:42 PM
As usual, Encyclopedia Dramatica is right on the scene.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Chris_Benoit

SpringHeeledJack
26th June 07, 08:45 PM
Those guys don't skip a beat.

kick
26th June 07, 09:07 PM
That is very sad. The wife in a rage, but then the kid the next day. Wrong wrong wrong.

Roid rage??

ironlurker
26th June 07, 09:59 PM
That is very sad. The wife in a rage, but then the kid the next day. Wrong wrong wrong.

Roid rage??
Most definitely a part of it.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - A professional wrestler who killed himself and his family was a former customer of a company implicated in an upstate New York investigation of illegal steroid sales.
That's according to the Albany County District Attorney's Office, which is conducting the investigation here.
Authorities in Fayetteville, Georgia, say today that Chris Benoit strangled his wife, suffocated his 7-year-old son before hanging himself over the weekend.
Investigators found anabolic steroids in the house and want to know whether the muscular man was unhinged by the bodybuilding drugs, which can cause paranoia, depression and explosive outbursts known as "roid rage."
In Albany, the DA's office confirms the 40-year-old Benoit was a customer as recently as last year of the south Florida company MedXLife.
2 of its co-owners pleaded guilty to drug charges in Albany County in April, admitting they helped get prescriptions drugs in 2006 for customers in upstate New York who had no medical need for them. The pair testified Signature Pharmacy of Orlando filled the orders.
MedXLife, no longer taking orders, attracted customers through its Web site.
http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=6714550&nav=2aKD

I heard on the radio today that "extremely high amounts" of steroids were found in his body during the autopsy. Doesn't excuse it, doesn't explain it, but there's no way being juiced 24/7 for decades can be good for you.

Also, I found out that many pro-wrestlers can't get health insurance- it's not in their contracts and many get denied or super high premiums. Therefore, unlike a BArry Bonds who has fifteen doctors and laboratories working with him, these guys are winging it without even proper mainstream medical care.

Quikfeet509
26th June 07, 11:28 PM
Roid rage is a bullshit defense. Researchers have shown [find it yourself, I'm not looking it up right now] that the rate of juice users that go bat-shit crazy and beat the piss out of someone is about the same rate seen in the general public.

If you are an asshole with steriods, you will be one with steriods. Reminds me of the PMS defense...

kick
26th June 07, 11:35 PM
Roid rage is a bullshit defense. Researchers have shown [find it yourself, I'm not looking it up right now] that the rate of juice users that go bat-shit crazy and beat the piss out of someone is about the same rate seen in the general public.

If you are an asshole with steriods, you will be one with steriods. Reminds me of the PMS defense...

Didn't know that.

I don't think it should be any sort of a defense, you chose to use the roids you need to be reponsible for your actions.

But I would have thought that it would have been a contributory factor,

Aaranar
26th June 07, 11:35 PM
If you are an asshole with steriods, you will be one with steriods.

You don't say?

Sarcasm aside, I'll wait for the actual circumstances to come out. Something about it just doesn't seem right. A damm shame though.

Quikfeet509
27th June 07, 06:35 AM
Anyone that murders their own kid should be revived by all possible means, tried, and executed. During their trial, any time they try to explain why they did it, they get an electric shock.

"We don't care why. What you did is beyond why."

Shawarma
27th June 07, 10:03 AM
Rep to Quikfeet for adding common sense to the "Steroids made me did it!" bullshit.

Maybe he killed his family and himself because he was a juicer. Oooor maybe he just did it because his life was entirely fucked up and the media jump on the convenient STEROIDS BAD! bandwagon before anthing has been proven.

ironlurker
27th June 07, 12:39 PM
I don't think the steroids are a defense, but certainly they may have been a contributing factor. Pre-existing issues and conditions can be heightened under the influence of many drugs- it's not "Jekyll and Hyde" and it's not an excuse, but it happens. Obviously no one who is a total asshole while drunk didn't have a bit of asshole in them to begin with, rather the alchohol ratcheted it up.

I think even within the context of this case different motives (or lack therof) were at play. They said the wife was strangled after a violent struggle. The kid was smothered with the Good Book placed beside him, after Benoit text messaged his friends. Sounds to me like the wife was a spur of the moment thing, and the kid obviously was premeditated.

Plus, screwing with your hormone levels is clearly going to affect how your brain works. Again, unlike Barry Bonds & Co., these guys do not have the medical/scientific support system behind them to monitor them and watch out for problems. They also don't have gauranteed contracts- if they don't work, they don't get paid. The supervision is non-existent and the pressure is higher, whoich makes for an unhealthy situation.

This is from a study on a link between steroid use and domestic violence:

"This case illustrates the potential for domestic violence and the serious potential consequences of behavioral changes secondary to anabolic steroid use. Although complications of steroid use, both medical and psychiatric, are increasingly reported in the literature, the general public's impressions and underground propaganda perpetuate the view that physicians concerns regarding these complications are exaggerated."

Schulte HM, Hail M, Boyer M. Domestic violence associated with anabolic steroid abuse. Am J Psychiatry 1993This study . . .

Pope HG, Katz DL. Affective and psychotic symptoms associated with anabolic steroids use. Am J Psychiatry 1988pointed out that the actual secondary psychiatric and social consequences of steroid abuse were underreported

It's not simply "roid rage" either. Guys who come off a cycle improperly can go into a severe depression that is very real and very biochemical in nature.

The MJA has an article, "Anabolic Steroids and the Mind" that points out another interesting fact. I knew people who would do a cycle or two before or in football season to bulk up, but they'd only do one or two cycles a year. A guy like Benoit or any other pro-wrestler is on them 24/7 for decades- they need to be for the recovery effects alone. The MJA article points out not only do the psychiatric effects of steroid use become more intense with dosage levels, but they become more unpredictable over the duration of use. So, in other words, there's folks who walk around using gear that will never show any behavior for years and then have an acute schizophrenic episode.

It didn't make him kill them but it could have been a contributing factor.

emboesso
27th June 07, 07:35 PM
Speaking of wrestling, I would have thought after all these years they would have gotten to the bottom of what happened to the Von Erich family.

Ole Fritz had 5 sons who all went into pro wrestling and 4 of them killed themselves (I think David may have been officially classified an overdose).

There had to be something serious going on in that household.

Stick
27th June 07, 10:34 PM
Wow, that is one warped fucking story.

AAAhmed46
28th June 07, 12:14 AM
I don't think it was roid rage. Roid rage doesn't last for 48 hours, and doesn't explain placing bibles next to his wife and kid's body when he wasn't religious in the least. There are a lot of reports saying he's developed paranoia in the last year

His son may have been legally prescribed HGH though, if he had Fragile X Syndrome like I've read in a lot of sources. Fragile X would possibly lead to the kid having abnormally low muscle tone.

Steve
28th June 07, 12:26 AM
His son may have been legally prescribed HGH though, if he had Fragile X Syndrome like I've read in a lot of sources. Fragile X would possibly lead to the kid having abnormally low muscle tone.

And your point is.....?

AAAhmed46
28th June 07, 12:27 AM
That was half sarcastic, i should have used a smiley.

Te(V)plar
28th June 07, 03:51 AM
http://www.upstandingfuckingcitizens.com/benoit_flyingheadbutt.gif

Steve
28th June 07, 06:26 AM
That's the best one you could find?

2/10

Question!
28th June 07, 06:58 PM
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/images/2/29/Immakillinmahfamily.jpg

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/images/e/ef/Touchedbyanhero.jpg

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/images/a/a1/Chris_benoit_martial_status.jpg

Knave
28th June 07, 09:05 PM
Greetings.

On a less humorous note, it will be hilarious to watch reporters turn this into a crusade against steroids rather than looking at the possibly preventable psychological reasons behind it.

kick
28th June 07, 09:11 PM
Chris Benoit killing reported first on Wikipedia

By Mark Schliebs
June 29, 2007 11:55am

Article from: http://www.news.com.au/images/sources/news_sourcelogo.gif</IMG> (http://www.news.com.au/?from=ni_story)
Font size: + (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21988443-2,00.html#) - (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21988443-2,00.html#)
Send this article: Print (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21988443-2,00.html#) Email (http://www.news.com.au/email/popup/0,23605,21988443-2,00.html)

Murder of wrestler's wife reported before body found
Wikipedia removed entry, alerted authorities
THE death of wrestler Chris Benoit’s wife was revealed on a Wikipedia article 14 hours before police discovered the bodies of the family.

The Wikipedia entry on the WWE wrestler was updated at 4am local time from a computer apparently in Connecticut. The user said Benoit had missed a fight due to his wife’s death.

But the investigating officer, Fayette County Sheriff deputy Lieutenant Tommy Pope, said that police found the family at 6.30pm local time.

“Chris Benoit was replaced by Johnny Nitro for the ECW Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy,” the entry said.

Wikipedia said it was not known if police were investigating the entry.

“Wikinews has learned through an investigation that anonymous edits on the Wikipedia article Chris Benoit were added about the death of his wife Nancy Benoit 14 hours before police entered the Benoit home to find the former professional World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) Canadian wrestler and his family dead,” Wikiepedia said in a statement.

Volunteer coordinator for the Wikimedia Foundation Cary Bass said it was thought that the edit was “unreliable” at the time, but it wasn’t until police found the bodies that it was discovered that the information was true.

"It didn't become apparent until someone put the pieces together and realized that the comment was made by someone who apparently knew about the murders," Bass said.

Benoit, 40, strangled his wife, smothered his seven-year-old son and then hanged himself from his gym equipment, police have said. Their bodies were found inside their mansion in Fayetteville, Georgia, an Atlanta suburb.

Sun Wukong
28th June 07, 09:23 PM
Holy shit. Now this is fucking creepy as hell.

AAAhmed46
28th June 07, 09:57 PM
This is weird.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2919341

SpringHeeledJack
29th June 07, 09:34 PM
I just found this one on ED.
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x72/SpringHeeledJack_bucket/BENOITDIDWTC.jpg

Olorin
30th June 07, 03:35 AM
Vince McMahon interview on Today Show

AYrAu0cYCYw

Sun Wukong
30th June 07, 03:50 AM
wow, watch vince duck and cover on this one. I think he's worried about his little franchise.

He could have been a bit more polished or prepared in his answers, but at the same time, this reporter isn't wearing any kit gloves. She really tore vince a new one here.

Olorin
30th June 07, 06:11 PM
wow, watch vince duck and cover on this one. I think he's worried about his little franchise.

He is definitely trying to cover his ass.

Sun Wukong
1st July 07, 02:06 AM
Could be worried about a wrongful death suit if it can be proven in court that WWE tacitly forces wrestlers to juice.

Shawarma
1st July 07, 02:23 AM
Isn't it a more a case of the job forcing the wrestlers to juice to recover from the gruesome levels of abuse they have to put up with rather than the org itself?

Steve
1st July 07, 04:28 AM
LOL, no.

They are acrobats on a springy stage for all to see, the shows are the least of their worries.

Scripting, false bad/good guy stuff, etc....

Maybe that is a bit rough.

Quikfeet509
2nd July 07, 01:08 PM
Greetings.

On a less humorous note, it will be hilarious to watch reporters turn this into a crusade against steroids rather than looking at the possibly preventable psychological reasons behind it.

Fuck I hate the browser errors I get with Safari - typing reply part II.

Just saw on the news that there is breaking reports that Benoit's personal physician is being charged with 7 counts of illegally dispensing a controlled substance...from three years ago. Nothing to do with the current case, but connect the dots...oh, and they found steroids in Benoit's home.

Here's the problem. The DEA can come in to a physican's practice and say they are being too loose with their schedule II drugs...without evaluating the patient's actual need. I saw a patient on Friday that was receiving 2800 oral morphine eqivalents for the excrucating pain from sickle cell crisis. That is enough to kill a horse, but it was the amount she needed to control her pain.

Guess who also tend to have high levels of pain - professional atheletes. And what happens if a professional wrestler is on opioids long-term for chronic pain? TOLERANCE, so their dose has to go up. But hey, if the DEA comes in and says the dose is higher than normal, then you can go to jail for properly treating your patient.

How about steriods? Is there any legitimate reason why a professional athlete could legitimately be prescribed testosterone? Hmm...what if they had used testosterone in past for an extended period of time and now require injections just to keep their testosterone levels WNL?

Yes this is all worthless conjecture, but at least I'm not clogging the news channels with it, which really pisses me off. The news channels need to quit with all the BS conjecture and focus back on what they really need to focus on - the iPhone and gas prices.