PDA

View Full Version : Movie About Plot to Kill Hitler Denied Right to Film at Historic Site; "why" is great

Stick
25th June 07, 03:27 PM
The first link to this story that I saw simply said "Germany has barred the makers of a movie about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler from filming at German military sites", and naturally I was like "huh, now why would they do that?" So, curious, I clicked the link and everything was made gloriously, hilariously clear to me.

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany has barred the makers of a movie about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler from filming at German military sites because its star Tom Cruise is a Scientologist, the Defense Ministry said on Monday.

Cruise, also one of the film's producers, is a member of the Church of Scientology which the German government does not recognize as a church. Berlin says it masquerades as a religion to make money, a charge Scientology leaders reject.

The U.S. actor has been cast as Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, leader of the unsuccessful attempt to assassinate the Nazi dictator in July 1944 with a bomb hidden in a briefcase.

Defense Ministry spokesman Harald Kammerbauer said the film makers "will not be allowed to film at German military sites if Count Stauffenberg is played by Tom Cruise, who has publicly professed to being a member of the Scientology cult".

"In general, the Bundeswehr (German military) has a special interest in the serious and authentic portrayal of the events of July 20, 1944 and Stauffenberg's person," Kammerbauer said.

Cruise's publicists could not be reached for comment.

Stauffenberg had been deeply opposed to the Nazis' treatment of the Jews and planted a briefcase bomb under a table near Hitler in his "Wolf's Lair" headquarters on July 20, 1944. The bomb went off but only wounded the Fuehrer.

The film, slated for a 2008 release and to be directed by Bryan Singer and co-starring Kenneth Branagh, is called "Valkyrie" after Operation Valkyrie, the plot's codename.

The main site of interest would be the "Bendlerblock" memorial inside the Defense Ministry complex in Berlin. This is where Stauffenberg and his co-conspirators hatched the plot and where he and his closest comrades were executed when it failed.

Kammerbauer said the ministry had not yet received official filming requests from the producers of "Valkyrie".

link (http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSL253889920070625?feedType=RSS&rpc=22&sp=true)

This pleases me greatly.

WarPhalange
25th June 07, 03:30 PM
Good. At least someone can stand up to the Scientologists.

frumpleswift
25th June 07, 03:40 PM
Germany is fucking awesome...and this isn't their first stand against Scientlogists and other religious fruitcakes (ie Christian Scientists). They are barred from being teachers or holding office.

Steve
25th June 07, 03:43 PM
Hmmmm, this is kinda interesting (http://www.holysmoke.org/sdhok/critics.htm).

Seems like another good reason why Germany doesn't like Scientology.

ironlurker
25th June 07, 03:46 PM
word

Mas
25th June 07, 04:03 PM
"In general, the Bundeswehr (German military) has a special interest in the serious and authentic portrayal of the events of July 20, 1944 and Stauffenberg's person..."

I think that's the most important part of why they won't let it happen. Stauffenberg in some respects in a national hero, and I would be pissed if a foreigner played an American hero.

Jean Reno for Thomas Jefferson? I think not.

WarPhalange
25th June 07, 04:05 PM
What's more American than a foreigner?

Mas
25th June 07, 04:13 PM
What's more American than a foreigner?

An Indian?

Question!
25th June 07, 06:01 PM
Actually I think that barring them from filming a movie there just because Cruise is a Scientology is discriminatory. I mean, sure, they are a personality cult who preys on the stupid, but so what?

WarPhalange
25th June 07, 06:41 PM
So good for Germany for not taking their bullshit. Discrimination my ass. If you choose to believe in stupid shit, you should not have the same rights as everybody else.

frumpleswift
25th June 07, 06:48 PM
Actually I think that barring them from filming a movie there just because Cruise is a Scientology is discriminatory. I mean, sure, they are a personality cult who preys on the stupid, but so what?

German (and EU) discrimination laws are very different from those in the U.S. They classify the $cientologists as a harmful cult (which it is) therefore it is outlawed. Also, the German concept of freedom of religion is different than the U.S. one, even if they classified $cientology as a church, which they don't.

And in all honestly some of the German and EU laws concerning freedom of speech, religion, etc. make more sense than ours.

In Germany if a family tries to deny needed medical attention to a child the government will intervene and save the child's life. In the U.S. we tolerate Christian Scientists.

frumpleswift
25th June 07, 06:51 PM
So good for Germany for not taking their bullshit. Discrimination my ass. If you choose to believe in stupid shit, you should not have the same rights as everybody else.

Spoken like a true Dictator to be.

Why not make it simpler...rather than actually having to believe in stupid shit, why not just strip all rights away from anyone with an IQ less than 120? (not that there are not geniuses who believe in stupid shit)

Question!
25th June 07, 07:00 PM
Well, you could argue it's not anymore stupid than many religions out there. Lots of people believe in stupid shit.

Question!
25th June 07, 07:03 PM
frumpleswift, can you clarify on the difference between US and German/EU freedom of religion laws?

Kiko
25th June 07, 08:33 PM
Aside from Cruise being a jerk, typecast and all the rest (I really can't believe I used to appreciate his.. er.. acting) Germany has every right to allow or deny filming on its military sites. Simple as that.

The rest... scientology/nazi etc... is delicious irony!

Besides, all this sounds like Mission Impossible .. what would it be... 4?

frumpleswift
25th June 07, 08:44 PM
frumpleswift, can you clarify on the difference between US and German/EU freedom of religion laws?

Basically German and EU laws allow greater latitude in curbing free speech that is deemed to be inherently harmul/dangerous etc. For example displaying the Swastika is illegal under most circumstances in Germany and most of Europe.

$cientology is not considered a religion by the German government, it is considered a very shady for profit business and a dangerous cult, and membership in $cientology is treated in a similar manner as membership in the Communist party during the cold war.

I consider this a very sound policy as $cientology is not a religion. IT is a corporation that uses religion to shuck money from idiots...and before we get into the debate arguing that all religions are designed to do the same...no they are not.

$cientology was founded by a paranoid schizophrenic for motives purely a-religious in nature. Most religions, however misguided they may or may not be, are founded for altruistic purposes, not self-agrandizing profit-centered egomaniacal goals.

Question!
25th June 07, 11:10 PM
OK, thanks for that. But I still think that barring the filming is stupid unless it is for the purpose of preserving the integrity of von Stauffenberg's potrayal.

Kein Haar
25th June 07, 11:12 PM
Cruise was great in Magnolia.

TheMightyMcClaw
25th June 07, 11:14 PM
God Bless Germany.

Er wait, that's not right.

Lord Xenu Bless Germany.
I think people can get away with a lot of stupid shit in America under the guise of religion. Or because of religion. Just look at all this intelligent design nonsense....

Sun Wukong
25th June 07, 11:15 PM
It's not so much that $cientology tries to make money from dupes, they are also apparently consumed with lust for power and prestige. They will abuse whatever system of government they are interacting with any way to get those things and will do whatever it takes to silence their critics.

A member representing such a devicive organization without scruples in any seat of political power or government control could be an entirely dangerous thing... and Germany has had quit enough of that to last them a life time.

I wish we had a similarly minded government here.

Stick
25th June 07, 11:17 PM
OK, thanks for that. But I still think that barring the filming is stupid unless it is for the purpose of preserving the integrity of von Stauffenberg's potrayal.

And that's exactly what the German government has in mind.

Really, who can deny that in the last few years Cruise's scientology has overshadowed his career? Between MI3, crazed Katie Holmes love on Oprah, interviews about psychology, and certain South Park episodes it has become abundantly clear that Cruise and Scientology are a package deal; I can't fault the German military for wanting to avoid associating one of the few redeeming elements of its history in WWII with that particular media circus.

Sun Wukong
25th June 07, 11:32 PM
Not to mention $cientology's habit of saying that Psychiatrists were the power behind the holocaust and the Nazi party.

Question!
26th June 07, 12:30 AM
Good points.

P.S. Cruise was great in Collateral.

Yiktin Voxbane
26th June 07, 01:08 AM
Last Samurai too , now back to the trash-talking .

Mas
26th June 07, 01:19 AM
Last Samurai too , now back to the trash-talking .
I found his performance a little forced in that role.

And oh yeah Scientology is $toopid.

Stick
26th June 07, 01:39 AM
I honestly felt kind of stupid seeing that movie in theaters in Japan as one of like 2 foreigners in the theater.

It wass based on actual events, a real rebellion, led by a real man; it's the sort of stuff that a really good movie can come from. That they felt compelled to randomly insert an American into these historical events is just well and truly beyond me.

It made the whole movie feel silly, forced, and like little more than a cliched jaunt into the classic genre of oriental adventureism.

Steve
26th June 07, 01:46 AM
I liked it just for that. It made me feel stupid for being an American.

Iscariot
26th June 07, 08:47 AM
Why not make it simpler...rather than actually having to believe in stupid shit, why not just strip all rights away from anyone with an IQ less than 120? (not that there are not geniuses who believe in stupid shit)
I've been advocating this for years.

And The Last Samurai was great for the method acting that Cruise was forced to use in that scene where he was heelhooked.

Sun Wukong
26th June 07, 09:22 AM
I loathed that movie. Also, the japanese would have summarily executed Cruise's character had he existed in real life under those circumstances.

frumpleswift
26th June 07, 05:21 PM
I've been advocating this for years.

But do you think 120 is too generous?

Iscariot
26th June 07, 05:25 PM
But do you think 120 is too generous?
Yes.

Kiko
18th July 07, 08:20 AM
BERLIN (Reuters) - Vintage World War Two aircraft bearing swastikas and other Nazi symbols flew low over the German village of Loepten near Berlin Sunday, but local residents had been warned in advance -- it was for a film.
The planes were being used to film a segment of Hollywood thriller "Valkyrie," starring Tom Cruise. He plays German army Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, who was executed after a failed attempt to assassinate Hitler in 1944.
Pictures taken by locals of the planes flying at low altitude over the village were published in Bild newspaper on Monday. "The residents were warned about possible noise," it quoted Mayor Friedrich Schoenfeld as saying.
It is illegal to display Nazi symbols in public in Germany, although filmmakers and theatrical companies are exempted.

Die Verbindung (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070717/od_nm/germany_cruise_dc;_ylt=A9G_RoCdEJ5GumkADibMWM0F)

Guess someone got their way...

Stick
18th July 07, 06:11 PM
Filming in the nation of Germany is no where near the same as filming in the actual historic sites Singer and Cruise wanted to besmirch.