PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Silver Surfer Review

mrblackmagic
17th June 07, 10:20 AM
Since we last left them, The team is on easy street because fantastic industries took off. Sue and Reed are on their fourth wedding attempt due to sudden castrophies and excessive publicity. Aside from that, all is well until a mysterious meteor appears in the sky, giant craters open up, and natural disasters happen all over the earth(this is the part where you say," the surfer"). The army ask Reed to help locate the enigma, which brings the surfer into their backyard. After a two failed attempt at stopping the surfer, the army ask the returning Dr. Doom to help. Of course, he's has plans of his own.

The Good

It's an entertaining film that doesn't take itself too seriously. That problem plagues many Hollywood these days. I hate sitting down for two hours and watching a wooden hero easily outclass the bad guys with only a few hiccups otherwise known as conflicts (Ghost Rider and Superman). The Four operate as a family and it is fun to watch their interactions between the action scenes.

Special effects are still top notch. There's a scene at the London Eye that for a few seconds made me forget I was watching a movie. Also, The Galactus scenes are impressive especially during the first reveal when he's flying over Saturn. I don't want to spoil, but he's no longer a pastel clad titan.

The surfer. Forget the computer effects, Doug Jones' performance brought one of my favorite marvel characters to life. He's cold, he's economic, he's kind of creepy, and some what simpathetic. If only Lawrence Fishburnes voice acting could have synched up better.

The Bad.

In the midst of the apocalypse, the human drama didn't have the desired impact. It's not a believability factor. It is a movie. It just didn't seem to matter. The whole time Johnny and Ben are fuming over the potential split of the group and Johnny's introspecting over how empty the fast life makes him feel. I'm thinking f***ing Galactus is going to eat the planet. Stop mopping and find the surfer.

The Ugly.

Predictability. Dr. Doom is back. What do you think he's going to try? The Silver Surfer sees the good in mankind. What do you think he's going to do?

For fun and not totally mindnumbing entertainment 7/10

Iscariot
17th June 07, 03:04 PM
Thank fuck you wrote this review so I didn't have to.

Let's see:
MBM is correct about the family atmosphere demonstrated by the team, making a marked departure from other solo superheroes.

I disagree on the London scenes, I think they were awful, coupled with the enormous error that because there's a hole in the ground the Thames stops flowing, made that sequence one of the worst in the film.

Jones does very well as the Surfer, he brings home the alien nature of an entity that leads a planet destroying force. Unfortunately Fishburne's vocals ruined the portrayal for me, especially in the second half, it seemed to me to be the left-overs from his role as Morpheus rather than a new characterisation.

Doom, and McMahon are wasted. Brought back by some seemingly fluke reasoning and then given an arc with no depth and seemingly no motivation. OK, he's a villain, stealing the Surfer's powers is fine, but what's his plan for when Galactus shows up? Let him destroy the world and then fuck off somewhere else? Complete rubbish, anyone could have taken that arc.

And finally the ending:
Sue being stabbed and then healed was far too convienient and easily solved to create any sort of suspense.

And the whole manner of the Surfer defeating Galactus was awful. The movie is The Fantastic Four, they should at least have some input rather than the Surfer being this inconsistent DXM.

The Galactus portrayal was well done, mainly due to the fact they didn't waste screentime fucking about explaining it and they left him as a cross between Gal Lak Tus and a Shadow Death Cloud. That leaked image of him in a helmet was propaganda and does not appear in the film.

In all this is the best superhero film of the year, surpassing Spiderman 3 and Ghost Rider. I believe it also beats its predecessor, which I wasn't particularly impressed with.

It's a popcorn movie, only Pirates has managed to beat it this summer.

Neildo
17th June 07, 03:27 PM
wow guys, you almost make me want to pay for this. i just might.

mrblackmagic
18th June 07, 08:07 AM
Thank fuck you wrote this review so I didn't have to.

Let's see:
MBM is correct about the family atmosphere demonstrated by the team, making a marked departure from other solo superheroes.

I disagree on the London scenes, I think they were awful, coupled with the enormous error that because there's a hole in the ground the Thames stops flowing, made that sequence one of the worst in the film.

Jones does very well as the Surfer, he brings home the alien nature of an entity that leads a planet destroying force. Unfortunately Fishburne's vocals ruined the portrayal for me, especially in the second half, it seemed to me to be the left-overs from his role as Morpheus rather than a new characterisation.

Doom, and McMahon are wasted. Brought back by some seemingly fluke reasoning and then given an arc with no depth and seemingly no motivation. OK, he's a villain, stealing the Surfer's powers is fine, but what's his plan for when Galactus shows up? Let him destroy the world and then fuck off somewhere else? Complete rubbish, anyone could have taken that arc.

And finally the ending:
Sue being stabbed and then healed was far too convienient and easily solved to create any sort of suspense.

And the whole manner of the Surfer defeating Galactus was awful. The movie is The Fantastic Four, they should at least have some input rather than the Surfer being this inconsistent DXM.

The Galactus portrayal was well done, mainly due to the fact they didn't waste screentime fucking about explaining it and they left him as a cross between Gal Lak Tus and a Shadow Death Cloud. That leaked image of him in a helmet was propaganda and does not appear in the film.

In all this is the best superhero film of the year, surpassing Spiderman 3 and Ghost Rider. I believe it also beats its predecessor, which I wasn't particularly impressed with.

It's a popcorn movie, only Pirates has managed to beat it this summer.

You really don't like spoiler-free reviews?

Iscariot
18th June 07, 08:34 AM
You really don't like spoiler-free reviews?
The purpose of a review is to evaluate the piece for someone who hasn't seen it, not to give any plot points that do or do not alter the publicised plot.

EuropIan
18th June 07, 12:16 PM
I expected more vitriol out of these two reviewers. This made me feel very disappointed as I left the thread. I'm hoping their following reviews are more caustic.

Neildo
18th June 07, 01:20 PM
It's already on my psp ROFL

edit:

halfway done. i'd have to say, it's better than the first one, easily. the only things that i don't like are Jessica Alba and Doctor doom.

http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/01264/images/InvisibleWoman.jpg

versus

http://www.popstarsplus.com/images/JessicaAlbaPicture.jpg

So, what. They couldn't find a real blonde? Srsly? wtf.

Also, isn't Doctor Doom, the King of Latveria (hence eastern european accent) and isn't one of the reasons he wears the mask and armour is because his shit is so fully ruined?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Doom

Fuck Hollywood.

mrblackmagic
19th June 07, 07:26 AM
I expected more vitriol out of these two reviewers. This made me feel very disappointed as I left the thread. I'm hoping their following reviews are more caustic.

You're kidding, right?

EuropIan
19th June 07, 08:00 AM
Kinda, I'm just more used to both you and Iscariot hating with more passion. Especially when it comes to comic book movie adaptations.

mrblackmagic
19th June 07, 11:11 AM
Oh. I thought you meant something else. Anyway. An entertaining movie is an entertaining movie. For some reason, that's really hard to do these days.