PDA

View Full Version : Britain to trial chemical castration on paedophiles

Iscariot
13th June 07, 02:34 PM
LONDON (AFP) - The government is to run a pilot scheme giving convicted paedophiles drugs to suppress their libido, or so-called "chemical castration, " Home Secretary John Reid said Wednesday.

The use of hormonal drugs was among a raft of proposed measures, which would also allow parents to know if people dealing with their children -- such as new partners, new family members or carers -- have child sex convictions.

The proposals do not amount to a British version of the United States' "Meagan's Law", under which a community is automatically notified when a convicted paedophile moves into the area.

The measures will be piloted in three areas once the legislation is passed, which could be by April 2008.

Reid told parliament that the aim was to strengthen the rights of families and victims rather than offenders.

"We will therefore update the law to give police and other local agencies a duty to consider in every case whether a member of the public needs to know about an offender's history in order to protect a child or children," he said.

Ninety percent of child abuse is carried out by someone known to the child, such as as family member or close acquaintance, Reid said.

"We will target paedophiles who deliberately ingratiate themselves into families," he announced.

Parents who are worried about someone who has unsupervised access to their children will be able to contact the police, who will let them know if that person is a convicted paedophile if the child is considered at risk.

Drug treatments would be used alongside existing psychological treatments. "Antiandrogen drugs and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors -- anti-depressants -- have been shown to be effective in reducing sexual drive, and reducing offending, sometimes significantly," Reid said, stressing that they would be used on a voluntary basis.

"This is not a substitute for punishment or prison," he insisted, adding that Britain already had "probably the most robust regime in Europe on this." He also outlined planes to pilot the use of compulsory lie detector tests on convicted paedophiles and to track their Internet activity.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070613/tuk-britain-paedophilia-a7ad41d.html

Now, before everyone jumps into the whole "think of the children" debate, this gives me major concerns, what we have here is a government in a developed country chemically altering the psyche of people deemed criminals.

I'm not defending the paedophiles in this, I'm highlighting the precedent of a government using medical means to alter people they term undesirable. Will this ultimately lead to a situation present (in an extreme form) in Equilibrium? And where could it stop? Chemicals? Gene therapy? Cybernetic implants?

Could this be the beginning of an effort by governments to control populations through chemical or genetic means? Has propaganda run its course, and are we now, as a race, left with only direct physical influence to alter thought processes?

Thoughts please.

WarPhalange
13th June 07, 02:37 PM
What's chemical castration? They burn your pen0r off with acid?

In any case, if they pass this law then they would have to pass a law requiring thieves to have their hands cut off, and politicians to have their tongues cut off (for lying).

Iscariot
13th June 07, 02:46 PM
What's chemical castration? They burn your pen0r off with acid?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_castration

Kiko
13th June 07, 02:47 PM
"Drug treatments would be used alongside existing psychological treatments. "Antiandrogen drugs and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors -- anti-depressants -- have been shown to be effective in reducing sexual drive, and reducing offending, sometimes significantly," Reid said, stressing that they would be used on a voluntary basis."

That's what chemical castration is, PL. Not TL;dr?

Not only do such meds affect desire, they can affect performance in both genders. Nasty stuff for depressed folk, if you think about it.

Voluntary basis? I say it's worth a try.

TM
13th June 07, 08:38 PM
A Clockwork Orange rules!

bob
13th June 07, 11:55 PM
I'd be interested to see their research that says reducing the sexual urges works in reducing reoffending. I read somewhere else that it doesn't because the urge is not primarily a sexual one.

On a side note: my cousin paid his way through university by volunteering for medical experiments. He's now a doctor, ironically. One day he signed up for a 'weekend retreat' where a group of young men were secluded for a couple of days and given chemical castration drugs.

They were given at pretty small doses, obviously at a level that they wouldn't (hopefully) do any permanent damage. After administration, they all had to *ahem* fill a cup and had their 'levels' analysed. Paid him about a grand for it I think. Still hasn't had any kids yet so the juries out on that one.

WarPhalange
14th June 07, 12:25 AM
I take anti-depressants and I'm as horny as ever. Actually, it wouldn't be so bad if they did work.

Sun Wukong
14th June 07, 05:33 AM
Anti depressants totally keep me from getting timber when I took 'em. Same for anxiety meds.

Thinkchair
14th June 07, 06:25 AM
LONDON (AFP) - The government is to run a pilot scheme giving convicted paedophiles drugs to suppress their libido, or so-called "chemical castration, " Home Secretary John Reid said Wednesday.

The use of hormonal drugs was among a raft of proposed measures, which would also allow parents to know if people dealing with their children -- such as new partners, new family members or carers -- have child sex convictions.

The proposals do not amount to a British version of the United States' "Meagan's Law", under which a community is automatically notified when a convicted paedophile moves into the area.

The measures will be piloted in three areas once the legislation is passed, which could be by April 2008.

Reid told parliament that the aim was to strengthen the rights of families and victims rather than offenders.

"We will therefore update the law to give police and other local agencies a duty to consider in every case whether a member of the public needs to know about an offender's history in order to protect a child or children," he said.

Ninety percent of child abuse is carried out by someone known to the child, such as as family member or close acquaintance, Reid said.

"We will target paedophiles who deliberately ingratiate themselves into families," he announced.

Parents who are worried about someone who has unsupervised access to their children will be able to contact the police, who will let them know if that person is a convicted paedophile if the child is considered at risk.

Drug treatments would be used alongside existing psychological treatments. "Antiandrogen drugs and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors -- anti-depressants -- have been shown to be effective in reducing sexual drive, and reducing offending, sometimes significantly," Reid said, stressing that they would be used on a voluntary basis.

"This is not a substitute for punishment or prison," he insisted, adding that Britain already had "probably the most robust regime in Europe on this." He also outlined planes to pilot the use of compulsory lie detector tests on convicted paedophiles and to track their Internet activity.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20070613/tuk-britain-paedophilia-a7ad41d.html

Now, before everyone jumps into the whole "think of the children" debate, this gives me major concerns, what we have here is a government in a developed country chemically altering the psyche of people deemed criminals.

I'm not defending the paedophiles in this, I'm highlighting the precedent of a government using medical means to alter people they term undesirable. Will this ultimately lead to a situation present (in an extreme form) in Equilibrium? And where could it stop? Chemicals? Gene therapy? Cybernetic implants?

Could this be the beginning of an effort by governments to control populations through chemical or genetic means? Has propaganda run its course, and are we now, as a race, left with only direct physical influence to alter thought processes?

Thoughts please.

I am okay with it in this situation. However, I share your concern that such techniques may become a way of removing undesirables. However in this case it makes alot of sense.

Thinkchair
14th June 07, 06:28 AM
I'd be interested to see their research that says reducing the sexual urges works in reducing reoffending. I read somewhere else that it doesn't because the urge is not primarily a sexual one.

I think this comes out of feminist theories which argue that rape and molestation are crimes of violence, not sex. However, it seems odd that the sex drive would not be invovled in a sexual offense.

billy sol hurok
14th June 07, 08:34 AM

Thoughts please.
Propaganda doesn't seem to have "cured" any pedophiles . . . but I take your larger point.

In any case, if they pass this law then they would have to pass a law requiring thieves to have their hands cut off, and politicians to have their tongues cut off (for lying).
You're just going to LOVE sharia!

I am okay with it in this situation. However, I share your concern that such techniques may become a way of removing undesirables. However in this case it makes alot of sense.
There's "removing" and then there's removing.

Let's assume for the sake of argument that pedophilia can't be "cured" through aversion therapy/talking cure/etc.

Lots of people now advocate that pedophiles be kept in prison beyond their sentences due to the risk of them reoffending. Taken to a logical conclusion, that could mean life sentences.

Would super-saltpeter be preferable? More humane? Would it even work?

Actually, I seem to recall this being used on an experimental basis in the USA, as a condition of probation. EDIT: Duh, it's discussed (briefly) in the wiki that Iscariot linked.

Neildo
14th June 07, 10:30 AM
I prefer PL's idea of burning things off with acid.

Truculent Sheep
14th June 07, 05:32 PM
Some thoughts:

i. As ever, the debate is skewed by virtue of 'the kiddiez' being involved. A shame no one gives a flying fuck about the hundreds of children being run over and killed in the UK, but then, the drivers involved probably didn't get erections when they did it, so it's OK. Also, 'Child Dies After Road Accident' doesn't sell so many newspapers as 'Child Molested, Killed And Dismembered By Pervert'.

ii. It's possible in rare cases for paedophiles to repent and reform. But the vast majority of the 'predatory' paedophiles can't or won't be rehabilitated. The answer, surely, is to see paedophilia as a harmful mental illness and treat 'sufferers' as dangerous psychiatric patients: in other words, keep them locked up in secure institutions unless their 'issues' can be resolved.

iii. Seroxat kills your libido stone-fucking dead. It also has dreadful withdrawal symptoms.

iv. I always find it hilarious when people scream for paedos to be tortured, castrated, slowly killed and mutilated, usually on the grounds that the 'Kiddie Fiddlers' are sickos and deserve it.

v. Children are incredibly stupid; they smell; they have no conversational skills and you can't even take one to a restaurant. Unless it's McDonald's. How the hell can anyone find these dim, disease-ridden, asexual dwarfs attractive? Say what you like about normal sexual behaviour, but at least you're guaranteed a decent pair of tits and someone to go to the pub with.

ironlurker
18th June 07, 03:16 PM
LONDON (AP) - British police, with aid from U.S. investigators, have shattered a global Internet pedophile ring, rescuing 31 children and rounding up more than 700 suspects worldwide, authorities said Monday. Some 200 suspects are based in Britain, said the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Center. Authorities would not break down where other suspects came from.
The ring was traced to an Internet chat room called "Kids the Light of Our Lives" that featured images of children being subjected to horrific sexual abuse—including streaming live videos.
Police rescued 31 children, some of them only a few months old. More than 15 of the children were in the United Kingdom, the child protection center said, refusing to elaborate. Authorities would not say where the other children were from.
Officials did say the United States, Canada and Australia were Britain's main partners in the investigation, which involved agencies from 35 countries and lasted more than 10 months.
A call to a U.S. contact provided for the investigation, a spokesman for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, was not immediately returned.
Authorities said they used surveillance tactics normally used against terrorism suspects and drug traffickers to infiltrate the pedophile ring at its highest level.
The host of the chat room, Timothy David Martyn Cox, 27, of Buxhall, who used the online identity "Son of God," admitted to nine counts of possessing and distributing indecent images, authorities said. Cox was given an indeterminate jail sentence Monday at a court in eastern England. That means he will remain in prison until authorities determine he is no longer a threat to children.
"Today's verdict serves as a powerful warning to those using the Internet to facilitate the sexual exploitation of children," said Jim Gamble, the child protection center's chief executive.
Cox was identified after intelligence linking the chat room to Britain was passed on to the center by Canadian authorities in August 2006.
After his arrest on Sept. 28, 2006, British, Canadian and Australian authorities were able to infiltrate the chat room and collect evidence on the other members. Officers posed as contributors and even pretended to be Cox, running the chat room for 10 days.
At no point did officers distribute illegal images.
Forensic teams examining Cox's computer found 75,960 indecent and explicit images in addition to evidence that he had supplied 11,491 images to other site users.
A man described as Cox's lieutenant, Gordon Mackintosh, tried to resurrect the chat room in January. Authorities in Britain, Canada, Australia and the U.S. again infiltrated the operation.
Upon his arrest in January, they assumed Mackintosh's identity online and ran the chat room for three days while collecting information on offenders who traded images.
Mackintosh, 33, has pleaded guilty to 27 charges of making, possessing and distributing indecent images and videos. He is awaiting sentencing.
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PR9N3O0&show_article=1

Police Smash UK-Based Paedophile Ring

Updated: 18:14, Monday June 18, 2007
Police have smashed a global internet paedophile ring run by a 28-year-old British man who was today sent to jail indefinitely.

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1548968.gif Martin Cox

Officers involved in the 10-month operation rescued 31 children who were being abused.
Some of the vile sex attacks were shown live online.
Around 700 suspects - 200 from the UK - were identified in 35 countries during the operation. Some are still being pursued.
Offenders used a web chatroom called Kids The Light Of Our Lives to swap photos and videos of horrific abuse.
It was hosted by brewer Timothy Cox, who admitted nine offences of possessing and distributing tens of thousands of indecent images of children.
A judge at Ipswich Crown Court told him: "These are shocking images which involve very young children.
"In the worst cases (they are) being subjected to sadistic, painful abuse which you, for some distorted reason, appear to take enjoyment from."
Judge Peter Thompson said Cox posed "significant risks" and had to be imprisoned for "for public protection".
The court heard he lived with his parents and sister in their large farmhouse in Buxhall, Suffiolk, and worked at the family's micro-brewery.
He operated the website from his bedroom using the pseudonym "Son of God", a reference to another online child sex pervert.
The prosecution said Cox spotted a "gap in the market" after a similar American website was closed down by police.

Images were swapped online

He possessed more than 75,000 indecent images, including more than 1,000 films, which amounted to two weeks of continuous viewing.
Cox was arrested last September after an undercover Canadian policeman found the chatroom during an investigation into paedophile websites.
After his arrest, undercover officers spent 10 days infiltrating the chatroom, assuming his identity to collect evidence about other users.
Sky's Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said it could well be the biggest internet paedophile operation ever mounted in the UK.
It was led by the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre.
Its CEO, Jim Gamble, said: "As predators become increasing sophisticated in their use of the Internet for exploiting young people, so too do the techniques we use to detect them."
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1271057,00.html

ANALYSIS: Dr. John St. John Swallowbone, Professor of Politics at Oxford, New College, stated: "It is a quite distinct possibility that ongoing demographic shift may lead to a 'pedo/al-Qaeda' division of MP's replacing the 'Conservative/Labour' scheme so familiar to Britons today"

WarPhalange
18th June 07, 03:34 PM
lol Cox

Fearless Ukemi
18th June 07, 05:20 PM
^ beat me to it

Iscariot
18th June 07, 05:36 PM
I saw something about this on TV while I was waiting for the report on Gatecrasher burning down.

sochin101
20th June 07, 04:04 PM
I think assuming all kid-fiddlers are driven purely by libido is really dangerous. It's like assuming all shoplifters steal to feed and clothe themselves.
I'm pretty sure there's more than just a weird sexual desire/need that drives some paedos.
Assuming chemical castration is the answer is a little bit cavalier (on the part of the clown proposing this course of action).

Also, it would have to be voluntary... WTF?
Also, how long until someone gets CC'd and then sues the government for infringing their human rights?
And, for the record, paedos need shooting in the gut with a harpoon attached to a chain and then dragged behind a monster truck over rough ground until there's no flesh left on their bones.

Truculent Sheep
20th June 07, 07:03 PM
http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1548968.gifhttp://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2005/06/29/cameron256.jpg

Seperated at birth?

WarPhalange
20th June 07, 08:47 PM
Uhhh... nowhere near?

Truculent Sheep
21st June 07, 08:34 AM
Put your glasses on.

WarPhalange
21st June 07, 12:50 PM
Different noses, different chin, different lips, even looks like different cheek bone structure.

Steve
21st June 07, 01:14 PM
Their hair is a nice touch, tho.

Truculent Sheep
21st June 07, 01:18 PM
Different noses, different chin, different lips, even looks like different cheek bone structure.

My, we are a jocular soul today, aren't we?

WarPhalange
21st June 07, 01:22 PM
Probably different teeth, too.

Truculent Sheep
21st June 07, 01:30 PM
Not if the pedo stole Dave Cameron's teeth and was wearing them when he got arrested.

That's a big problem in the UK: kiddie fiddlers stealing politicians' teeth. Tony Blair should be careful.

ironlurker
21st June 07, 02:21 PM
That's a big problem in the UK: kiddie fiddlers stealing politicians' teeth. Tony Blair should be careful.
The politicians best not leave them out on the nightstand