PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Most Badass Sci-Fi hero ever!

Sun Wukong
10th June 07, 04:22 AM
Bare in mind, comic book heroes don't count! No Comic book heroes in this one.

anarki13
10th June 07, 06:16 AM
:viking:CONAN FTFW!
no way you can compare any of the others to the Cimmerian

bob
10th June 07, 07:16 AM
Ripley.

Conan isn't sci-fi btw. And the thread title says 'hero' whereas the poll says 'character'. Big difference.

bob
10th June 07, 07:22 AM
WHY MUST YOU MOCK THE SANCTITY OF THIS FORUM!

frumpleswift
10th June 07, 10:36 AM
Other: Lazarus Long.

As for forum sanctity:

http://www.philipblaiklock.com/blog/uploaded_images/vader_helloKitty-730656.jpg

Shawarma
10th June 07, 10:43 AM
Half of those aren't sci-fi.

Most badass sci-fi character is Paul Atreides.

frumpleswift
10th June 07, 10:47 AM

Quoted for Truth.

WarPhalange
10th June 07, 11:28 AM
I would have voted Vader if you hadn't put Anakin next to him. Fuck that.

Kiko
10th June 07, 11:41 AM
Badass? Who cares.
Interesting, Complex, something that matters in Sci-Fi, sure. Look over a more complete list of Sci-Fi classics and call me later. Points for including a few fantasy, but... Badass? that sounds so Marvel.

Naszir
10th June 07, 01:21 PM

Kwisatz HaDerach for the win.

anarki13
10th June 07, 02:06 PM
Oh i don't care if this was a Miss World 2019 poll, any list with the word Badass automatically goes to Conan:

“Know, oh prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars – Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.”

Jagged
10th June 07, 03:09 PM
I had to pick Raistlain even though he was Fantasy. The only decent character from any of those books. He was the only reason I kept reading them. Sickly, weak body, he was basicly just pure will and intelligence. Could have gone on to upsurp a god thus becoming a god. He then could have killed all the other gods.

Sun Wukong
10th June 07, 03:53 PM

Yeah yeah yeah, so I wrote this poll at like ass:30 a.m.

Edit: actually, i just re-read my list, and yeah, all of those guys are science fiction.

Yeah, fantasy is still considered science fiction so these guys are covered: Raistlin, Gandolf, Conan.

Post Apocalypse is also science fiction so Mad Max is covered.

Space Opera isn't the only kind of science fiction out there.

P.S. Just in case you missed it during elementary education:

science fiction
n. A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific (or psuedo scientific) discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Sun Wukong
10th June 07, 03:57 PM
Also, I totally cut Paul Atreides from the list on purpose... sorry... in retrospect I guess I should have cut someone else.

Question!
10th June 07, 04:31 PM
Conan because he was played by Arnold Schwarzenegger.

frumpleswift
10th June 07, 04:35 PM
science fiction
n. A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific (or psuedo scientific) discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Gandalf and Conan are NOT sci-fi. Mad Max is. Fantasy in this definition is being used as a synonym of fiction. It is a fantasy based on speculative science.

Iscariot
10th June 07, 04:57 PM
This poll sucks, it can't even make up its own mind what it is? Is it heroes? Or characters?

If it's heroes then Solo, Max, Skywalker, Kurgan and Conan don't belong.

If it's characters then Kurgen, Conan, Raistlin and Gandalf don't belong because they aren't Sci-Fi.

P.S. Just in case you missed it during elementary education: Gandalf doesn't have an 'o' in it
Fixed.

Yeah, fantasy is still considered science fiction so these guys are covered: Raistlin, Gandolf, Conan.
No it isn't, also you missed Kurgen from your list, Highlander has its roots in the supernatural, not the scientific.

Post Apocalypse is also science fiction so Mad Max is covered.
Yes it is, it's a subgenre, well done.

Space Opera isn't the only kind of science fiction out there.
Really? Phew, thanks!

science fiction
You are reading the definition wrong, fantasy in this form refers to the fictional construct of the narrative, not dragons and sorcery.

Everyone who said that Muad'Dib was the most badass should go to their shelves, pick up their Dune books and give them away as they are far too stupid to own them. His son is way more badass in everysense of the word, he is stronger, both physically and mentally, more learned and, as is the defining point of the 'hero', sacrifices more for others. God Emperor is not just a cool nickname.

frumpleswift
10th June 07, 05:22 PM
Everyone who said that Muad'Dib was the most badass should go to their shelves, pick up their Dune books and give them away as they are far too stupid to own them. His son is way more badass in everysense of the word, he is stronger, both physically and mentally, more learned and, as is the defining point of the 'hero', sacrifices more for others. God Emperor is not just a cool nickname.

You have a point. Where should I mail my copy of Dune? Leto II was pretty damned badass.

anarki13
10th June 07, 05:30 PM

AMEN. AEY-MEN!
Paul was good, but he became a bit too annoying with all that "oh no, all is fated, so don't bother trying to have a life" stuff in the second book..
sigh. such potential.
Feyd-Rautha (sic) only died because the author was on Muad'dib's side.

Sun Wukong
10th June 07, 05:47 PM
Leave it to the English to defy my understanding of English... elitist bastards.

Just kidding.

Iscariot
10th June 07, 06:13 PM
You have a point. Where should I mail my copy of Dune? Leto II was pretty damned badass.
To DAYoung, he should really read it. If he has then just bundle it off to:
Iscariot's Campaign for Good Sci-Fi for Firefly Flans
c/o Sociocide
The usual address.

AMEN. AEY-MEN!
Paul was good, but he became a bit too annoying with all that "oh no, all is fated, so don't bother trying to have a life" stuff in the second book..
sigh. such potential.
Actually I think Dune Messiah was the best piece of character development that Herbert did with Muad'Dib, it turned him from the expositional protagonist into a clear and complete figure of tragedy in the classical sense, with a aura of resigned despair that I haven't seen elsewhere in Sci-Fi. I didn't get it in my first read of the saga in my early teens, I did during one of my later re-readings.

Feyd-Rautha (sic) only died because the author was on Muad'dib's side.
Which again is why I think Dune Messiah is such an important book as it turns Muad'Dib from the hero in service to the plot archetype into a definite character.

Regardless, your obvious taste earns you rep!

Jagged
10th June 07, 07:13 PM
Leto II was greater than his father but I always had a soft spot for Duncan Idaho.

frumpleswift
10th June 07, 09:06 PM
Leto II was greater than his father but I always had a hard on for Duncan Idaho.

fixed

emboesso
10th June 07, 09:11 PM
Roddy Piper as Sam Hell in "Hell Comes To Frogtown".

Stick
11th June 07, 12:53 AM
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/picardscamwhore.gif

AAAhmed46
11th June 07, 12:59 AM
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/picardscamwhore.gif

Make it so!!!!!!!!:XXbunny:

Steve
11th June 07, 01:01 AM
The definition of BADASS:

Dmitri "Raven" Ravinoff.

An Aleut native who works as a mercenary. His preferred weapons are glass knives — undetectable by security systems and reputed to be molecule-thin at the edges — and glass-tipped throwing spears. He travels on a motorcycle whose sidecar has been replaced with a hydrogen bomb that will automatically detonate if his brain ceases to emit electrical impulses. Raven has the phrase "POOR IMPULSE CONTROL" tattooed on his forehead, a sign of being arrested for some violent crime at least once in his life. His stated goal in life is to "nuke America." The combination of his fighting ability, conscienceless killing, and personal nuclear umbrella prompt Stephenson to refer to Raven in his introduction (and Hiro to observe later on) as "the baddest motherfucker in the world."

AAAhmed46
11th June 07, 01:08 AM
I had to pick Raistlain even though he was Fantasy. The only decent character from any of those books. He was the only reason I kept reading them. Sickly, weak body, he was basicly just pure will and intelligence. Could have gone on to upsurp a god thus becoming a god. He then could have killed all the other gods.

YEah, i love the bastard for that.

Also, Margret Weiss almost always leads us to believe that Caramon is also intellegent, the only reason Raistlin is so much smarter is because he's forced to truly have his traits manifest because of everything rallied against him.

Naszir
11th June 07, 08:13 AM

Dmitri "Raven" Ravinoff.

That passage is a great part of a great book. Very good point, sir.

anarki13
11th June 07, 09:20 AM
Actually I think Dune Messiah was the best piece of character development that Herbert did with Muad'Dib, it turned him from the expositional protagonist into a clear and complete figure of tragedy in the classical sense, with a aura of resigned despair that I haven't seen elsewhere in Sci-Fi. I didn't get it in my first read of the saga in my early teens, I did during one of my later re-readings.
Messiah is indeed all you said, development, a lot of fascinating details: Muad'dib, the people around him, their inner voices, you get the point..
well, it IS mean to be a tragedy, so i guess that IS why Paul just accepted the things to come. oh well..

Regardless, your obvious taste earns you rep! thank you! let me see if i can return it :)

Dark Helmet
11th June 07, 09:46 PM
3 words

Marvin the Martian

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7845/marvinpadrj6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

JimmyTheHutt
11th June 07, 11:55 PM
Molly Millions.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Zendetta
12th June 07, 12:01 AM

Dmitri "Raven" Ravinoff.

Remember, Raven gets totally MafiosOwned by Uncle Enzo. Since Enzo ruins the shit of the Baddest Mofo, then, by elimination...

... Uncle Enzo is the Baddest Mofo..

He coulda tapped YT too, so you know he's a player despite being old.

Steve
12th June 07, 12:16 AM
Srsly, you can't be serious.

A name like Uncle Enzo automatically negates all badass qualities.

Is he powerful? Yes. Badass? No.

Stick
12th June 07, 12:47 AM
Uncle Enzo is totally badass.

Molly Millions.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Wrong thread. (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47053)

Zendetta
12th June 07, 01:58 AM
He's sufficiently badass to not need a name like "Raven".

Its plainly stated that Raven is the Baddest of the Badasses. Enzo serves him up. End of story. Fugeddaboutit. Enzo is Most Badass.

Enzo is soooo badazz that he is called "Uncle" just to take the edge off, an avuncular charm to offset the fact that, well, you know...

But Raven is pretty fucking bad, even without the nuke.

Steve
12th June 07, 02:10 AM
Point taken, but I still stand behind my man.

Sun Wukong
12th June 07, 05:31 AM
I voted for George Taylor from the planet of the apes. He may be the head of the NRA but he's also the man who raised his arms and bitterly cried: "You bastards! You finally did it! Damn you! Damn you all to HELL!"

Which, in my opinion is one of the best scenes to ever hit the screen. Hell of an actor.

romba_one
2nd October 07, 07:59 PM
Vader. He was killing things when he was 8 years old.

Lu Tze
2nd October 07, 08:33 PM
Who the fuck's Gandolf?

Marrt
2nd October 07, 10:21 PM
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Two for the price of one.

For Sci Fi

The Stainless Steel Rat - James Bolivar diGriz.

DAYoung
2nd October 07, 10:50 PM
Me.

Marrt
2nd October 07, 11:29 PM
Me.

Science Fiction? dude, you're Science Reality.

DAYoung
3rd October 07, 01:16 AM
Science Fiction? dude, you're Science Reality.

Umm. Compliment?

kick
3rd October 07, 02:57 AM
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser

Two for the price of one.

For Sci Fi

The Stainless Steel Rat - James Bolivar diGriz.

Man I was just totally going to say, that. Good taste my man + rep for you.

Marrt
3rd October 07, 09:18 AM
Umm. Compliment?

of course, just suggesting your badass-ery was not fictional...

Shawarma
3rd October 07, 10:47 AM
I'd like to add the write-in vote of Judge Dredd. A 22nd century lawman, he IS the law. Has absolutely no idea of the concept of leniency, sentencing people to hard jail time for littering or possessing suger, is utterly uninterested in any pleasure whatsoever and does in general have balls of titanium.

Case in point: When faced with the gruesome visage of Fear incarnated
http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticgallery/JD1.jpeg

This is his response:
http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticgallery/JD2.jpeg

Judge Dredd is badass, and his cartoon is strangely hilarious too.

DAYoung
3rd October 07, 03:58 PM
It's so sick.

So vulgar.

So obscenely violent.

AND YET I LOVE IT.

All my sophistication, my aspirations of civilisation....and this little cartoon is enough to reveal the savage inside of me.

Judah Maccabee
3rd October 07, 05:24 PM
Ben Sisko.

DAYoung
3rd October 07, 05:30 PM
You shut your mouth.

Truculent Sheep
3rd October 07, 07:33 PM
Not wanting to be a total sad case, but both Honsou and Uriel Ventris from Graham McNeil's Warhammer 40,000 novels deserve a mention for general bad-assery...

Judah Maccabee
3rd October 07, 10:38 PM
You shut your mouth.

Go cry into Capt. Janeway's bosom.

DAYoung
3rd October 07, 10:54 PM

Yes ma'am.

AAAhmed46
3rd October 07, 11:46 PM
Kai from lexx.

He's pretty badass.

"The dead to not have motivation'

"the Dead do not think"

" The dead do not poo"

bad credit
4th October 07, 04:39 AM
I do not see Ash, Druss, Drizzt, Wolverine, Richard Eagle, Guy Gardner, Jack T. Chance, Grimjack, Anarky, the Punisher, Captain America, Aubrey Knight or the Man Who Never Missed on there.

Truculent Sheep
4th October 07, 04:55 AM

You'd be amazed at how many little girls see that dogmatic, hypocritical and petty old bag as a role model...

Liffguard
5th October 07, 10:33 AM
Lots of good picks, but clearly the most badass sci-fi character (not hero) is Saul Motherfracking Tigh.

http://www.audiv8.cz/obrazky/galactica/tigh.jpg

DAYoung
5th October 07, 03:16 PM
Lots of good picks, but clearly the most badass sci-fi character (not hero) is Saul Motherfracking Tigh.

http://www.audiv8.cz/obrazky/galactica/tigh.jpg

Poor facsimile of Picard.

http://www.armd.org.uk/Picard1.jpg

Liffguard
5th October 07, 05:30 PM
The fact that they look vaguely similar does nothing to invalidate the fact that Saul Motherfracking Tigh would kick Picard's arse so hard he'd actually break through the borders of fiction and end up somewhere in the Teletubbies universe.

DAYoung
5th October 07, 05:39 PM
While I think that's a brilliant reply, and you deserve a big biscuit, you've unfortunately demonstrated truth's capacity to elude even the most perspicacious minds.

Saul Walkingframe Tigh wouldn't wheeze his way through one round of tag with Jean-Luc, let alone a mano a mano rumble.

When you add to this Picard's looks, intelligence and cultivation, Tigh's looking less like a hero, and more like a chav in an ill-fitting dinner jacket, looking like he's constipated from too many fried chips and batter.

Cullion
5th October 07, 06:31 PM
Picard is not particularly good looking or cultivated. He's intelligent in a geeky, self-conscious french-canadian inferiority complex way, but that's it. Classic over-compensating north american over-achiever trying to make his roots seem grander than they are. And he uses the services of a therapist. Therefore JL Picard = fag0t.

Trust me, I'm European.

The man you're all looking for is Dr. Who

Curtain close, lights dim, applause, polite at first, then swelling to a crescendo as Tom Baker's face gradually appears projected on the curtain

anarki13
5th October 07, 08:23 PM
Who?

and Tigh: bah! Cylons Schmylons: let him go against the Borg, let alone come back, and then we'll see how tough he is!

DAYoung
5th October 07, 09:00 PM
Cullion is not particularly good looking or cultivated. He's intelligent in a geeky, self-conscious middle-class English inferiority complex way, but that's it. Classic over-compensating bourgeois over-achiever trying to make his roots seem grander than they are. And he uses the services of a proctologist.

Picard gives you sympathy.

From a distance.

NSLightsOut
5th October 07, 09:14 PM
Bun-bun of Sluggy Freelance - Scourge of Telemarketers, holiday icons, and all that is good and holy in this world

AAAhmed46
6th October 07, 12:26 AM
Picard is the king.

Cullion
6th October 07, 04:54 AM
Picard gives you sympathy.

From a distance.

http://thebadplus.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/08/baker.jpg

Cullion
6th October 07, 04:55 AM
P.S. how did you know about the proctology?

DAYoung
6th October 07, 05:35 AM
P.S. how did you know about the proctology?

Alimentary, my dear Cullion.

Sun Wukong
7th October 07, 12:10 AM
Tigh > Picard.