PDA

View Full Version : I am Legend.

Steve
8th June 07, 12:35 AM
Well, this is the first I've heard of this:

I Am Legend is an upcoming 2007 post-apocalyptic science fiction film directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Will Smith. I Am Legend is based on Richard Matheson's novel of the same name, but the film will be closer to The Omega Man, the second film adaptation of the novel. I Am Legend is set to be released on December 14, 2007.

Premis

In 2006, the KV virus is developed in a laboratory, but the virus mutates out of control, changing the world's population into bloodthirsty creatures. Three years later, former military scientist Robert Neville (Will Smith) is working in Manhattan, since quarantined, to develop a cure for the pandemic. Neville finds himself to be the only uninfected human on the island, if not the world.

Development

In 1994, Warner Bros. Pictures began developing the film project, having owned the rights to Richard Matheson's 1954 novel I Am Legend since 1970. In June 1997, director Ridley Scott and actor Arnold Schwarzenegger entered talks with Warner Bros. for I Am Legend, based on a script by Mark Protosevich. Actors Tom Cruise and Michael Douglas were previously considered to star in the film. The following July, Scott and Schwarzenegger finalized negotiations with the studio. Production slated to begin the coming September, with Houston as a stand-in for the film's setting of Los Angeles. In December 1997, the project was called into question when the projected budget escalated to $108 million due to media and shareholder scrutiny of the studio in financing a big-budget film. Scott rewrote the script in an attempt to reduce the film's budget by $20 million, but in March 1998, the studio canceled the project due to continued budgetary concerns. In August 1998, director Rob Bowman was attached to I Am Legend, but he moved on to direct Reign of Fire.

In March 2002, Schwarzenegger became the producer for I Am Legend, commencing negotiations with Michael Bay to direct and Will Smith to star in the film. Bay and Smith were attracted to the project based on a redraft that would reduce its budget. However, the project was shelved due to Warner Bros. president Alan Horn's dislike of the script. In September 2005, Warner Bros. hired director Francis Lawrence to helm the project, with production slated to begin in 2006. Screenwriter Akiva Goldsman revised the script, with the story being moved from California to New York to take advantage of locations that would more easily show emptiness. The story was also written to be closer to The Omega Man, the second film adaptation of the novel. In April 2006, Will Smith signed back onto the project, with production to begin in 2007 in New York.

Link to Wiki. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_%28film%29)

The Apple Trailers site link with the new trailer for the film. (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/)

I'll post a YouTube vid of the trailer when it is up (tho there are tons of vids about the film on YouTube already). In the mean time I will just say that this film intrigues me greatly. Always been a fan of Will Smith, prolly cause of my loving of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Edit: Okay, now I'm very excited about this film!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend

Yiktin Voxbane
8th June 07, 01:15 AM
100% Garuntee Chuck Heston did it better .

I also like Messer Smith from his show FPOBA , but with a few exceptions, his movies have quite frankly, sucked goat foreskin .

:EDIT: no J in frankly :END EDIT:

Steve
8th June 07, 01:24 AM
I haven't heard or seen anything about this film before (even tho it's a remake of film that's based on a book). I first thought that it was based on a comic (was relived when I found out it wasn't).

Regarding Will Smith, at least he's not a Scientologist. (http://www.hollywood.com/news/Smith_Turns_Down_Cruises_Scientology_Bid/3591886)

emboesso
8th June 07, 07:03 AM
In 2006, the KV virus is developed in a laboratory, but the virus mutates out of control, changing the world's population into bloodthirsty creatures. Three years later, former military scientist Robert Neville (Will Smith) is working in Manhattan, since quarantined, to develop a cure for the pandemic. Neville finds himself to be the only uninfected human on the island, if not the world.

Can a virus be cured? I'm under the impression they can only be vaccinated against.

If he's the only one on the planet not infected he can either:

1. Vaccinate himself and live his life alone trying to survive among the bloodthirsty creatures.

2. Get himself infected and join the party.

WarPhalange
8th June 07, 11:29 AM
Dude, it's the future.

elipson
10th June 07, 05:40 PM
Wow. Big marks for a creative plot. This sounds like a dead rip off of 28 days/weeks later.

elipson
10th June 07, 05:42 PM
Actually on further reading this sounds familiar. I think I once saw a bit of the Omega man, but never found out what it was called.

frumpleswift
10th June 07, 05:45 PM
100% Garuntee Chuck Heston did it better .

I also like Messer Smith from his show FPOBA , but with a few exceptions, his movies have quite frankly, sucked goat foreskin .

:EDIT: no J in frankly :END EDIT:

What are you talking about? Wild Wild West was not only the best movie ever, but the highlight of Kenneth Bragnagh's career.