PDA

View Full Version : The Bachelor Chef: Episode 2, Marinara Sauce

Olorin
31st May 07, 12:24 AM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/DSCF0617.jpg
When most of us reach for a bottle of spaghetti sauce to pore over a little pasta this is what we find lurking in the cupboard. This is the crap that I grew up with…and crap it is. Little flavor, and even less freshness, this shit is why I grew up hating spaghetti night.

For too many years, we have been subjected to bad sauce and overcooked pasta, well no longer! I refuse to eat this crap anymore. Especially considering it is not all that hard to make a tasty and cost effective Marinara sauce at home.

So what are you going to need and how long will it take? From start to finish, it takes about an hour to make the sauce. As for what you will need? Well, you will need this stuff…

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/DSCF0614.jpg
-Two tablespoons olive oil
-Two to three cloves of garlic (minced)
-One 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
-Three oz of tomato paste
-Two tablespoons sun dried tomatoes (chopped)
-One teaspoon dried basil
-Half a medium sized white onion
-Salt and pepper

-One pound of spaghetti
-Parmesan cheese

All of this is pretty cheap to pick up. The only expensive thing on the list is the Sun Dried Tomatoes but they keep a long time so you can use then next time you make the sauce.

So lets get started. I like to get all the ingredients prepared before I start cooking. This keeps me from burning the garlic because I was busy chopping sun dried tomatoes.

But before you do anything else put a big ass pot on the stovetop add one gallon of water and start heating that bitch up. It takes forever to heat this much water to get it started early.

Next, chop your sun-dried tomatoes, mince the garlic, and chop the onion. I even measure out the tomato paste and basil just to have it handy.

Ok you should have everything ready to start the sauce. First, in a pan heat the olive oil and gently sauté the garlic and onion. Heat it gently until the onion turns limp and semi translucent. DO NOT BURN IT!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/DSCF0622.jpg
Then you just dump in the rest of the ingredients, tomato past, diced tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, and basil. Put this over medium to low heat for about thirty minutes. Do not leave it alone for long; you need to stir it frequently.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/DSCF0619.jpg
So do what I do and poor yourself a drink. Since DAYoung called me a nancy-boy for taking my bourbon “on the rocks” this time I enjoyed it neat.

When you have about ten minutes left, start your spaghetti. Make sure you bring the water up to a rolling boil before you add the spaghetti and cook according to package instruction. I also like to liberally salt the pasta water.

When the pasta is done, so is the sauce. Serve and enjoy! This sauce is also great on other things like fish, shrimp, or chicken.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/DSCF0628.jpg

(Alternates)

If cost and prep time is no object to you, then you can substitute the dried basil for five good size leaves of fresh basil. However, with fresh basil you tear the leaves up into small pieces and add it just before the sauce is done.

Also you can use 2.5 pounds of fresh tomatoes instead of the canned diced tomatoes. If you plan to use fresh tomatoes then put them in a pot of boiling water for about 10 seconds until the skin can be easily peeled off. Discard skin, dice tomatoes, and add just as you would the canned tomatoes. I have made the sauce with fresh basil and fresh tomatoes and it is better, but it costs more and takes more time to make.

Steve
31st May 07, 12:34 AM
Awesome!

Neildo
31st May 07, 10:26 AM
do an alfredo next!

Zendetta
31st May 07, 11:18 AM
Nice,and classy choice on the whisky.

Olorin
31st May 07, 11:47 PM
do an alfredo next!

I have never made alfredo but I went over the Food Network website and checked out a few recipes on how to make it.

I think this one would be good.

Fettucine Alfredo

1 pound dried fettucine
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fresh parsley, for garnish, optional

Cook the fettucine in a pot of rapidly boiling salted water until al dente. Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid.

While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender. Add heavy cream and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Return the pasta to the pot it was cooked in, set over medium-high heat along with the reserved cooking liquid. Add the butter-cream mixture and half of the Parmesan and toss to combine thoroughly.

Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.

Chef
Emeril Lagasse
The Essence of Emeril

Steve
31st May 07, 11:53 PM
You forgot the:

BAM!

I hear it's essential for his recipes.

Olorin
1st June 07, 12:31 AM
You forgot the:

BAM!

I hear it's essential for his recipes.

Well now, I have to go on a rant about him!

Emeril had a really good show called the Essence of Emeril. It was a straightforward cooking show. It was just him behind a counter teaching people how to cook. You could see why he was considered a good chef, it was not about showmanship or BAM, or that fucking stupid audience at his Emeril Live show.

God I hate his audience! They have that same cult like look in their eyes that you see on the Oprah show. The applaud salt, fucking salt! BAM!

Also that show will teach you nothing about cooking, its about watching Emeril cook, like cooking as sport. What the fuck is that! BAM!!

This is old school Emeril, he was first introduced to the world by Julia Child on her show.

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/meet/lagasse.html#

Holy shit! He is actually teaching me how to make the fucking dish. BAM!!!

Zendetta
1st June 07, 12:56 AM
Alfredo is soooo easy, and strangely, excellent with avocado.

I know, I know... I would'nt have thought so either, but I had it at this old classy Eyetalian joint and it was awesome.

Olorin
1st June 07, 02:10 AM
Alfredo is soooo easy

Care to share? I have never made it before and could use some help.

Stick
1st June 07, 02:14 AM
I need to do one of these now that I've learned how to cook, well learned how to cook more than I did before.

Dad got it into my head how to do sauces, the pantry here is never shy of canned tomatoes.

Olorin
1st June 07, 03:26 AM
I need to do one of these now that I've learned how to cook, well learned how to cook more than I did before.

Dad got it into my head how to do sauces, the pantry here is never shy of canned tomatoes.

I started cooking about the same time I quit smoking. I quit smoking last September and lo and behold I could taste food again! And I realized how shitty all that fast food and crap really tastes.

On a side note, my better half might land a teaching position in Toms River, New Jersey. So I might be coming to the East Coast.

Stick
1st June 07, 05:26 AM
Well that wouldn't make you the first of my old Stillwater crew to follow me out here!

Where I go.... one or two people ocassionally happen to more or less follow but not quite end up in the same spot.

Kiko
1st June 07, 05:35 AM
Guys who can cook are wonderful!

Sauces from scratch are super, but don't think that everything from an envelope is crap. Knorr and similar makers' mixes make a fine Alfredo. Doctoring with extra parmesan and herbs helps too. Keep a jar of minced garlic so it's always there. Fresh garlic is wonderful, but if you don't use it right away, it'll dry up.

Don't forget to grab some Hollandaise (goes great on asparagus or eggs benedict) and some Bernaise to put on steak or whatever. Extra tarragon in that and it really wakes up.

If you REALLY want pasta sauce... what you want to do is simmer the above in a crock pot. Make extra.. Brown some beef short ribs and throw 'em in. They fall apart and now you have a heartier sauce. Ditch the spaghetti and go for some wild curly shapes for the sauce to cling to.

Neildo
1st June 07, 12:22 PM
My alfredo sauce comes out of a jar. yes, I know i'm lazy, no need to go there.

Zendetta
1st June 07, 05:53 PM
Care to share? I have never made it before and could use some help.

emeril's recipe looks great. I keep the temperature low-ish to keep the oils in the cream from separating. And you need fettucine noodles, but you probably already knew that too. Optional: serve with sliced avocado, as mentioned previously.

THe greengrocer down the street sells bunches of organic basil dirt cheep, so fresh pesto is my summer staple.

On the Italian/Medi/provincial trip: one of my favorite appetizers: marinate some portabello mushrooms in balsamic vinegar (leftover red wine works too) and toss onto the grill with sliced zuchini, red bell peppers, and Italian sausage. Grill to perfection and serve with crusty bread and olive oil & balsamic for dipping. Prego!

Again, good choice on the bourbon. i spent memorial day weekend backpacking thru Yosemite Nat'l Park with a hip flask full of Maker's. Warms the soul!