PDA

View Full Version : The "I <3 Takeshi Kitano" Thread

Neildo
21st May 07, 03:51 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001429/

I'm watching Zatoichi right now. It's so awesome.

Every movie I've ever seen that this guy has been associated with has been mind-blowingly awesome. Hollywood cannot compare, they can't even come close.

Discuss.

Stick
21st May 07, 04:01 PM
Hollywood can compare, just not a lot of it.

I own Brother, keep meaning to pick up Zatichi- personal inspiration and all- but I never get around to it. I've seen it, hell I saw it on release weekend in Japan, just haven't bought it yet.

Neildo
21st May 07, 04:10 PM
I have Brother ( i guess that technically classifies as hollywood.....damn) a TV dub of Fireworks, and Sonatine. Recently downloaded Battle Royale and Zatoichi, but i'd like to get actual DVD's eventually. Saw Violent cop on TV once.

Even his part in Johnny Mnemonic was cool. Him and Rollins are the only reasons that movie is worth watching. Okay, Dolph gets honorable mention because he's badass, but his character was lame.

Anyways, Zatoichi is awesome. I'm freaking out over the awesomeness. Wah! So cool!!

Zendetta
21st May 07, 06:23 PM
Yeah, blonde Zatoichi is sweet. i love when he takes that guy's hand off for cheating him. The musical numbers are strangely awesome as well.

I still need to see Battle Royale. His work on MXC is also noteworthy.

Neildo
21st May 07, 09:10 PM
Oh fuck, how could I forget to mention MXC. I love that show.

Harpy
21st May 07, 09:26 PM
LOVE his work and his vision.

Steve
21st May 07, 09:43 PM
Oh fuck, how could I forget to Mention MXC. I love that show.

Me too.

dpGw45FyvaU

Zendetta
21st May 07, 10:03 PM
Oh sweet jeebus thats awesome.

Steve
21st May 07, 11:19 PM
I wish they would just subtitle the show. I'm dying to know how much the commentary is changed (or if all of it is) through the dub.

Neildo
22nd May 07, 12:03 AM
I think all of it is.

Steve
22nd May 07, 02:36 AM
Yeah, that would make sense. They have fantastic writers at least.

Question!
22nd May 07, 02:55 AM
I've watched the original Japanese version, it's NOTHING like the dubbed version. Wiki it for more info.

ojgsxr6
23rd May 07, 10:33 AM
I know I'm going to be the unrefined odd man, but I like the Shintaro Katsu verision of Zatoichi alot better that the new movie. The CGI sword really bothered me, then the big twist at the end where "GASP, he really can see!!!" Not the the older ones weren't predictably formulaic. With him cheating at the Japanese version of Yahtzee, or some girl that likes him gets put into a Geisha house, or of course the malevolent Yakuza boss.

Shawarma
23rd May 07, 11:31 AM
Takeshi Kitano is a throwback to that great era of Japanese actors when all they had to do was to scowl, look badass, snarl the occasional sexist comment and chop people up fine. Mifune would be proud.

Neildo
23rd May 07, 11:38 AM
I know I'm going to be the unrefined odd man, but I like the Shintaro Katsu verision of Zatoichi alot better that the new movie. The CGI sword really bothered me, then the big twist at the end where "GASP, he really can see!!!" Not the the older ones weren't predictably formulaic. With him cheating at the Japanese version of Yahtzee, or some girl that likes him gets put into a Geisha house, or of course the malevolent Yakuza boss.

That's actually the version I was hoping for, but was instead treated to some Beat Kitano goodness. I don't mind.

Takeshi Kitano is a throwback to that great era of Japanese actors when all they had to do was to scowl, look badass, snarl the occasional sexist comment and chop people up fine. Mifune would be proud.

I love his twitchy scowl. It's awesome.

ojgsxr6
23rd May 07, 12:12 PM
I thought Mifune was awesome, always playing the same character (like Vince Vaughn), Sanjuro, the body guard one, the Zatoichi episode. Then I saw him in Seven Samurai, and the one where he's a Samurai/Official under the Shogun and the Shogun wants his wife from his son. Then I knew he was awesome.

Neildo
23rd May 07, 02:20 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001536/

Holy Jesus.

I have 'Yojimbo' in B&W on a betamax tape. woot!

I need more Akira Kurosawa movies. I have a few, but obviously that's not even a drop in the bucket.

Zendetta
23rd May 07, 03:25 PM
Yojimbo is one of my favorite movies, as is A Fistfull of Dollars.

"stranger comes to town" is one of the all time great archetypal plot devices.

New Blonde Zatoichi is still blind, though: at the end he says" even with my eyes open, all I can see is darkness"

Shawarma
23rd May 07, 03:48 PM
That was metaphorical, I believe.

JohnnyCache
25th May 07, 09:56 PM
I think it's kind of beautiful as a voluntary thing.

Also BT was the bomb in robocop 3

Neildo
26th May 07, 03:36 AM
OH YEAH.

I only saw R3 once.

sochin101
26th May 07, 09:06 AM
Takeshi's Castle is shown in the UK... the commentary is done by Craig Charles (Lister from Red Dwarf).
I have never seen Takeshi in it.
I am writing in the colourless momotone because of the grey Sociocide post window.
It has deadened my soul and stolen the sun from my very being.
There must be a lolcat for how I'm feeling.

mrblackmagic
27th May 07, 01:34 PM
I hate that man. He is the only director to make me cry in a movie.

Neildo
27th May 07, 08:08 PM
http://neildato.googlepages.com/kitty11-emo.jpg

j/k srsly, what movie?

mrblackmagic
29th May 07, 09:31 AM
Hana-Bi. I'm not sure why.

Neildo
29th May 07, 11:34 AM
ooh i have that one. It's because Takeshi is awesome. He gets right into your head and slaps your brain while scowling.

mrblackmagic
30th May 07, 09:36 AM
It's crazy to think he's a comedian.

Neildo
7th December 07, 07:28 AM
4dqP84VUVDY

Commodore Pipes
7th December 07, 02:07 PM
Yeah, when he shoots that guy right in the kisser at the end of Violent Cop it's the most cathartic face blast ever. Battle Royal is also awesome. He has the best comic timing.

socratic
18th December 07, 11:23 PM
The 'new' Zatoichi was awesome, and has a bunch of references to Yojimbo and probably other Kurosawa films.

EuropIan
19th December 07, 07:39 AM
Saw this movie last month

QnI1XCxDy-Y

What the hell was it about?

Neildo
19th December 07, 01:29 PM
that's some masterpiece cinema right there baby.

Shawarma
19th December 07, 02:25 PM
I liked Brother. That was one hard-ass film.

"Hello, Japanese yakuza person, welcome to America! Now please give me your money AUGH, MY EYE, YOU GOUGED OUT MY EEEYE!"