PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Phil Spector is a murderer?

Sun Wukong
19th May 07, 02:09 AM
Got a few questions for you, please humor me here. Please explain your answer.

Question 1: Do you believe Phil Spector is guilty of murdering Lana Clarkson?

Question 2: Do you think he will be convicted?

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A jury of nine men and three women was sworn in Thursday to decide whether music producer Phil Spector murdered actress Lana Clarkson four years ago.

The panel of 12 -- many appearing startled when they realized they were the jury -- stood, raised their hands and were sworn in to serve on the case.

A panel of six alternates remained to be selected. Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler ordered that process to continue on Monday, followed by opening statements on Wednesday.

Spector, famous for his 1960s "Wall of Sound" recording technique, is accused of the fatal shooting of Clarkson, who was found dead in the foyer of his suburban Alhambra home on Feb. 3, 2003, after he picked her up from a nightclub where she was working as a hostess.

The jury includes several county employees, including two engineers, as well as a man who is a network TV producer and has covered high-profile criminal cases.

All of the panelists said they would weigh the evidence carefully and would be fair to both sides. None of them expressed any preconceived opinions on whether Spector was guilty or innocent.

The panel was chosen from among about 100 prospects who filled out questionnaires in advance and then came to court at the start of the week for questioning by attorneys.

Several of the prospects who were dismissed during the process had expressed strong opinions that Spector killed Clarkson or was responsible for her death because it occurred at his home.

One of the last prospects excused for cause was a woman who said she believed he was guilty and could not change that opinion.

"I understand the rules, I just don't think I can," she said when asked if she could put her opinions aside and judge the case fairly.

The judge told the jury that the trial would last about two or three months.
The jury was formed in a process in which prospects were dismissed for cause or through what are called peremptory challenges, those for which neither side has to state a reason.

As the challenges began to shape the potential jury, Spector's prosecutors
several times accepted the panel as it was constituted, but when the defense continued to remove certain prospects and replace them with others, the prosecution resumed using their challenges.

Spector was elected to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989. His most notable achievements were in the 1960s and '70s. His career tailed off in the 1980s.

Clarkson was best known as the star of Roger Corman's 1980s cult film "Barbarian Queen."

Steve
19th May 07, 02:31 AM
Back story in OP, pls.

frumpleswift
19th May 07, 04:55 PM
Convicting a famous person in California is much like convicting a white man for lynching a black man in the south.

Maybe if Spector had filmed himself shooting the girl, with a notary on hand to seal the body with his/her stamp, while presenting two forms of government id and a genetic sample to a waiting police officer, maybe, just maybe, he could get convicted.

emboesso
19th May 07, 08:32 PM
Convicting a famous person in California is much like convicting a white man for lynching a black man in the south.

Maybe if Spector had filmed himself shooting the girl, with a notary on hand to seal the body with his/her stamp, while presenting two forms of government id and a genetic sample to a waiting police officer, maybe, just maybe, he could get convicted.

Sounds like the evidence required by Dave Chappelle to believe that R. Kelly pissed on a chick.

I think you're being a tad unfair. Just look at the air-tight alibi Robert Blake had:

"I couldn't have shot my wife. I had left my gun in the restaurant and went back inside to get it." Case dimissed.

Spector has a long history of threatening people with guns, and he beat the shit out of Ronnie on a constant basis. He's on a lot more than fresh air.

Brian Wilson was always convinced Spector was stalking him and trying to kill him. Of course I always assumed that was because Wilson was on a paranoid trip stemming from insane drug abuse. But maybe he was right.

I think this time the famous person goes down for it.

frumpleswift
20th May 07, 12:40 AM
Sounds like the evidence required by Dave Chappelle to believe that R. Kelly pissed on a chick.

Call it an homage.

Shawarma
20th May 07, 02:03 AM
That was pretty funny. "That's my Robert, always peeing on people."

Zendetta
20th May 07, 11:36 AM
If bad hair was a crime, and when I'm elected it will be, the Spector should GET THE CHAIR.

Tough Justice for Tough Times.

The Nappy Laws would certainly snare Don Imus too.

frumpleswift
20th May 07, 12:45 PM
but...but...but...Villain says that only black people can have nappy hair.

Sun Wukong
22nd May 07, 03:45 AM
Personally, I think Phil's going down in this one. The limo driver heard the gunshot, testified that he heard Phil say, "I think I shot someone", saw Phil still holding the pistol, and saw the recently deceased body right after the incident.

I think he killed that woman, and I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison.

Sun Wukong
25th May 07, 02:17 AM
Judge in Spector case decides that an expert witness for the defense removed evidence from the crime scene.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The judge in Phil Spector's murder trial ruled Wednesday that a renowned forensic expert removed and hid a tiny but potentially important piece of evidence from the prosecution but will not be held in contempt.

Superior Court Judge Larry Paul Fidler rejected a prosecution bid to instruct jurors that Henry Lee is not a credible witness, saying he would allow them to make that decision themselves.

But he said the prosecution would be allowed to present all evidence on the issue, including that presented outside the presence of the jury, to impeach Lee's credibility if he testifies for the defense.

The prosecution contends the item was a piece of fingernail with the trace of a passing bullet that would show actress Lana Clarkson was resisting having a gun placed in her mouth. Her right thumb was missing a piece of acrylic fingernail after her death. The defense claims she shot herself.

Lee denied taking any such thing from the crime scene when he testified earlier.

The judge said that of all the witnesses who testified over several weeks in hearings on the issue, the only one that he found completely credible was attorney Sara Caplan. Caplan said she saw Lee pick up a white object with a rough edge and place it in a vial during a defense search of the foyer of Spector's mansion after police were through.

Said Fidler: "If Dr. Lee has this object, he's to produce it forthwith."
But the judge said he had little confidence that would happen, adding, "I'm not going to hold Dr. Lee in contempt."

Telephone messages seeking comment from Lee after the ruling were not immediately returned. An associate said he was traveling in Italy.

Outside court, defense attorneys vouched for Lee's credibility and said they will call him as a witness. They said an inquiry into the hidden evidence issue in front of the jury could extend the trial by a week.

"Bring it on," said attorney Linda Kenney-Baden. "He will testify."

The ruling came weeks into the prosecution's case against Spector, 67, the producer whose "Wall of Sound" recording style transformed popular music in the 1960s and '70s. He's accused of shooting Clarkson through the mouth at his mansion on February 3, 2003.

Clarkson, best known for the 1985 cult film "Barbarian Queen," had gone home with Spector from her job as a nightclub hostess.

Lee, former director of the Connecticut State Forensics Science Laboratory, has worked for prosecutors and defense attorneys in the high-profile cases of O.J. Simpson, William Kennedy Smith, Kobe Bryant, JonBenet Ramsey and others.

The judge acknowledged that Lee has "a large reputation."
"Dr. Lee has a lot to lose here," Fidler said in a hearing without the jury present.

In the Spector case, Lee has said his only findings at the scene were some white threads and a piece of bloodstained carpet.

Deputy District Attorney Alan Jackson displayed a picture taken inside Spector's home showing something white on a wooden floor that Lee said was a gouge in the floor.

"It's clearly a white object sitting atop the wooden floor," said Jackson. "He said it was a gouge. Is he lying or is he incompetent? That is not a gouge."
Deputy District Attorney Pat Dixon said the prosecution thinks it was Clarkson's fingernail. He suggested it would have proved that "her hand was in her mouth trying to push the gun away when Phil Spector pulled the trigger."

The object would have been helpful to the prosecution, "but we will never know because of Henry Lee, who in my opinion pocketed this item," Dixon said.

Before court recessed until next week, jurors returned and saw gruesome pictures of Clarkson's bloody face and chest as paramedic David Riggs told of examining her and declaring her dead.

Was it Blackie Lawless that sang the phrase, "You're going DOWN-DOWN-DOWN!" ???

TM
2nd June 07, 11:38 AM
That cretin is so obviously guilty it's ridiculas. World class punk asshole. BTW Phil the wall of sound is shit. Lesh is more.