PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Tech - The Computer Game

DAYoung
16th May 07, 05:21 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/05/16/vtyyy_wideweb__470x304,0.jpgOUTRAGE OVER VIRGINIA TECH VIDEO GAME

Stephen Hutcheon
May 16, 2007 - 1:33PM

A Sydney youth who created an uproar with an online game based on the Virginia Tech massacre, says he will remove the game if he receives $US2000 in "donations".

Add another $US1000 and he promises to apologise.

The game, called V-Tech Rampage, offers "three levels of stealth and murder" and is set on a facsimile of the Virginia Tech campus.

It is modelled on the exploits of South Korean-born Cho Seung-hui who last month shot dead 32 fellow students at the Virginia Tech campus in the worst such massacre in US history.

The game features a gun-toting character based on Cho, the dormitory where the killing spree started, the post office where he sent his manifesto to a TV network and Norris Hall, the building where most of the murders took place.

The game first came to light after it was uploaded to a site called newgrounds.com which hosts a large number of basic, mainly home made , computer games. Game makers upload their creations on to the site much in the same way as people upload videos to YouTube.

V-Tech Rampage is the work of 21-year-old Ryan Lambourn from western Sydney who goes by the screen name, Master PiGPEN.

"I've done offensive things before but they're not usually this popular," Lamourn said, adding that he made the game "because it's funny".

Lambourn, who grew up in the US, said his friends suggested putting up the ransom demand which he thought was "a hilarious idea".

He posted the demand on his website saying: "Attention angry people: I will take this game down from newgrounds [the games website] if the donation amount reaches $1000 US. I'll take it down from here [his website] if it reaches $2000 US, and i will apologise if it reaches $3000 US."

He described the exercise as "a joke". "They were so adamant about me taking my game down ... I gave them a way," he said.

"The donation thing was just to pull a few more strings and make more people angry. It's worked."

Lambourn said that while he felt remorse for those who had lost friends and relatives in the massacre, he also had sympathy for the gunman.

"No one listens to you unless you've got something sensational to do." he said. "And that's why I feel sympathy for Cho Seung-hui. He had to go that far."

The game requires players to move the pixellated South Park-like Cho character around the campus, shooting other characters.

Once shots are fired, the other characters start running around with their hands in the air screaming. A song, Shine by the band Collective Soul, is played on a loop in the background.

Lambourn chose the song for the game because it was one of the gunman's favourites.

The game starts with the gunman in his room. The text on the screen says: "Locked and loaded, it's party time. I just gotta make sure no one sees me or lives to tell the tale."

In another frame, the following words appear: "The pawns are all in place, the time has come that I may finally send my message to the world."

The game text also refers to "Emily". Emily Jane Hilscher, 18, was Cho's first victim. The subject of his infatuation, she was shot in a dormitory.

"Emily stayed overnight with her boyfriend, Karl, again last night. He'll be dropping her off at school as always ...," the game text reads.

Players who fail to shoot the characters get the following message at the conclusion: "Mediocrity. You let Emily get away! Are you always full of shit, McBeef? Try again, this time don't be such a wuss."

"McBeef" is a reference to a play Cho wrote called Richard McBeef. The disturbing play features a 13-year-old boy who accuses his stepfather of being a pedophile and of murdering his father.

The play ends with the man striking down and killing the teen.

The game and its creator have been roundly condemned on blogs and forums on the internet.

"People like this need to be publicly beaten," reads one blog comment. "This asshole is possible the worst little piece festering of pond scum in years."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/games/outrage-over-massacre-game/2007/05/16/1178995212668.html

==================================================

This kid's so terribly, stupidly, painfully confused. It's difficult to imagine just how immature you'd need to be to display this level of petty egocentrism and insensitivity.

OH WAIT NOES, ITZ ART - HE'S HOLDIN A MIRRAR UP TOO SOCIETY.

So very sad and pathetic.

frumpleswift
16th May 07, 05:26 PM
I'll give him the $3,000...he just has to come to my place to pick it up.

---

Note: $25 admission to this guys suprise "party"

Dagon Akujin
16th May 07, 05:31 PM
This is genious. Can you offend people enough that they will pay you money to stop, without going so far that they won't kick your teeth out through your cheeks?

Of course, as an optomist, I'm hoping for the latter, and hoping that the video gets uploaded somewhere (like to every girl who ever thinks fondly of him... unless he pays $5000).

Dagon

DAYoung
16th May 07, 05:52 PM
I'll give him the $3,000...he just has to come to my place to pick it up.

---

Note: $25 admission to this guys suprise "party"

This seems to be the general consensus.

SEE? JOX BEETIN UP ON PC NERD - THE CYCEL OF VILENCE CONTINUE.

frumpleswift
16th May 07, 05:55 PM
This seems to be the general consensus.

SEE? JOX BEETIN UP ON PC NERD - THE CYCEL OF VILENCE CONTINUE.

Wow...how did I go from nerd to jock?

DAYoung
16th May 07, 05:58 PM
Wow...how did I go from nerd to jock?

Cuz u iz bully, pikkin on artist-d00d.

billy sol hurok
16th May 07, 07:13 PM
C'mon, you can do better than that.

He's a NEO-CON CRYPTOFASCIST OPPRESSOR. Idem est, 'murican.

What's the going rate to get someone kneecapped in Sydney these days, anyway? I'm sure we can outsource this cheaper . . .

Also, I won't interrupt this sketch for a pound.

DAYoung
16th May 07, 07:24 PM
C'mon, you can do better than that.

I prefer 'North American Bad Man'.

What's the going rate to get someone kneecapped in Sydney these days, anyway? I'm sure we can outsource this cheaper . . .

He'll need his knees to beg for forgiveness.

frumpleswift
16th May 07, 07:28 PM

You make me laugh.

I prefer 'North American Bad Man'.

See if I ever offer to share my scotch with you again. And here i was thinking I needed a "new" bottle of the 18 year-old variety.

DAYoung
16th May 07, 07:36 PM
See if I ever offer to share my scotch with you again. And here i was thinking I needed a "new" bottle of the 18 year-old variety.

It's fine, really. 'Cause the Scotch is Scots - it's one of the authentic oppressed nations.

You can send it to me, if you like.

bob
16th May 07, 07:48 PM

For you Billy, $1490. Per knee. Can't say fairer than that an' I'll throw in a broken nose for a hundred extra.

MaverickZ
16th May 07, 08:23 PM
And people wonder why I have violent outbursts.

billy sol hurok
16th May 07, 09:14 PM
You make me laugh.
Then my work here is done!

It's fine, really. 'Cause the Scotch is Scots - it's one of the authentic oppressed nations.

You can send it to me, if you like.
A fine example of the Sharpton Shakedown -- you've been studying his old tapes, eh?

For you Billy, $1490. Per knee. Can't say fairer than that an' I'll throw in a broken nose for a hundred extra.
You are a gentleman and a scholar.

However, using a gentleman and a scholar for this task would appear to be overkill; not looking for Level Three tech support. Aintcha got sum them Indons around, or sumpin? Ya know, ones we could oppress by givin em YER JEOBS?!?

I don't.

Knave
17th May 07, 01:40 AM
Greetings.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/378086

That's the link to play the game in case anyone was curious.

Offensiveness aside, it's actually a relatively well made game and has decent replay value. Underneath the simplistic gameplay lies quite a large number of easter eggs in the text. The last stage has a time limit, so it can take a few plays if you want to talk to everyone and see them all.

THIS IS ISRAAAEEEELLLLL

Am I a bad person for enjoying it? =(

Steve
17th May 07, 01:54 AM
You're a bad person for posting it (I won't go into how you enjoy it). Anyone who wanted to play it could have found it easily enough.

I won't delete your post but if you question if people will think of you as a bad person for posting something so insensitive, you might want to reconsider posting.

DAYoung
17th May 07, 03:13 AM
That's two, Knave.

One more and you've got a hat trick.

MaverickZ
17th May 07, 07:20 AM
Greetings.

Offensiveness aside, it's actually a relatively well made game and has decent replay value. Underneath the simplistic gameplay lies quite a large number of easter eggs in the text. The last stage has a time limit, so it can take a few plays if you want to talk to everyone and see them all.

THIS IS ISRAAAEEEELLLLL

This reminds me of a discussion about a rape scene.

DAYoung
17th May 07, 07:22 AM
I had the same thought.

Uncanny.

CannibalCrowley
17th May 07, 07:50 AM
You're a bad person for posting it (I won't go into how you enjoy it). Anyone who wanted to play it could have found it easily enough.

I won't delete your post but if you question if people will think of you as a bad person for posting something so insensitive, you might want to reconsider posting.

If this is supposed to be the sister site of Bullshido, then it must be the weak little baby sister.

MaverickZ
17th May 07, 08:09 AM
By George, you're right. The opinions of 5 people DO exactly represent the opinions of the other 35,377 members of bullshido. Welcome to America.

edit: haha, only serious.

Matsufubu
17th May 07, 09:35 AM
Greetings.

THIS IS ISRAAAEEEELLLLL

That game sucked, and I'm not saying that to jump on the bandwagon. It really sucked.

Stick
17th May 07, 12:29 PM
1. The game itself is in piss poor taste.

2. The game itself is a talentless, unimaginatie, low-tech throw together of sprites that would've been cutting edge maybe on the old Magnavox console.

3. The ransom idea.... yeah, that's just fucking brilliant right there. Is this twit even aware that his name is now forever tied to this? Does he understand that for the rest of his life people will be able to google him up and see "oh, what a fucking prick" and thus not hire him, deny him service, or generally treat him like the douchebag he is? Seriously, if he was hoping for some sort of noteriety, fame, exposure, he's got it and it's all bad; he made a shitty flash game in incredibly poor taste and then had the absence of mind to try and "ransom" it, this isn't going to impress a potential employer.

Fucking twit.

Shawarma
17th May 07, 12:32 PM
Pretty good game for Newgrounds stuff, really. In rather poor taste, though. The sound bytes with the game developer saying things like "Awesome kill Cho!" made me a bit annoyed. It's apparent that he went for max shock value.

Steve
17th May 07, 12:48 PM
If this is supposed to be the sister site of Bullshido, then it must be the weak little baby sister.

Fuck off.

I'm assuming that's what you wanted to hear, right?

AAAhmed46
17th May 07, 01:02 PM
Funny in a sad sad way.

MaverickZ
18th May 07, 10:58 AM
http://www.banksy.co.uk/indoors/images/media.jpg
http://www.banksy.co.uk

DerAuslander108
21st May 07, 03:32 PM

We have to get it down so you and I do that at the same time.

MaverickZ
21st May 07, 09:44 PM
I'm not sure the planet, the galaxy, nay the whole of existence could handle that sort of team up.

Osiris
22nd May 07, 09:37 AM

Could you be lamer please?

MaverickZ
22nd May 07, 09:43 AM
What are you 15? Grow the fuck up already.

Steve
22nd May 07, 02:03 PM

Sure, next time I'll just delete the post.

What are you 15? Grow the fuck up already.

Osiris
22nd May 07, 03:08 PM
Steve, see Maverick's post. Take notes. Grow the fuck up > You are a bad person.

Steve
22nd May 07, 03:19 PM
Steve, see Maverick's post. Take notes. Grow the fuck up > You are a bad person.

What are you talking about? I don't think that I've ever said that you were a bad person.

I was echoing Maverick's post, didn't mean to come off as anything else.

MaverickZ
22nd May 07, 03:35 PM
WWWWHHHOOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHH

Osiris
22nd May 07, 03:36 PM
I'd explain what I meant, but really, I'm just trolling, so its unimportant.

MaverickZ
22nd May 07, 03:39 PM
I'd explain what I meant, but really, I'm just trolling, so its unimportant.
That's ok, that's what we came to expect from the site's membership these days. So you going to fight JFS or what?

Steve
22nd May 07, 03:50 PM
Oh, I get it. Maverick was saying that you are a bad person but just saying "you're a bad person" doesn't sound as cool as "grow the fuck up."

Amirite?

Osiris
22nd May 07, 07:07 PM
Trying to Mav, but the location is horrible for me.

Stick
22nd May 07, 08:19 PM
Better.

Reverend Phelps is happy about the massacre and says America had it coming, not for enabling fags but for persecuting Phelps and his righteous church.

pzCQkH44zBM

DerAuslander108
22nd May 07, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure the planet, the galaxy, nay the whole of existence could handle that sort of team up.

To quote the bard;

"We can kill....everybody!"

Shawarma
23rd May 07, 07:19 AM
That does at least clear up one thing for me - Although God seems to hate just about everybody, he digs Phelps and his church. I was wondering if Phelps included himself in his "God Hates U!" tirades.