PDA

View Full Version : Hamas and Fatah ceasefire lasts..oh about 4 hours

MaverickZ
14th May 07, 12:21 PM
Hamas-Fatah cease-fire collapses; top official resigns

(CNN) -- An Egyptian-brokered truce ended within hours early Monday when shooting resumed between rival Hamas and Fatah militias, leaving two gunmen dead and 10 others wounded, Palestinian security sources said. Violence between the factions left four dead on Sunday.

According to the sources, the gunbattle broke out near the Fatah intelligence headquarters in northern Gaza City. The dead were the bodyguards of a local Fatah leader.

In protest of the ongoing violence in Gaza, Palestinian Interior Minister Hani al-Qawasmi resigned Monday, one of his assistants told CNN. According to the assistant, Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh accepted al-Qawasmi's resignation.

Al-Qawasmi's resignation is a significant blow to the Palestinian unity government, formed earlier this year in an effort to end the deadly factional fighting concentrated in Gaza.

Two major sticking points in forming the Fatah-Hamas government were the portfolio of the interior minister and choosing who would fill the key position.

The interior minister has control of Palestinian security forces.

Amid frustrations over the inability to enact a Gaza security plan, al-Qawasmi had tendered his resignation to Haniya a few weeks ago, but the prime minister did not accept it.
Cease-fire broken before daybreak

Hamas and Fatah officials had told reporters shortly after midnight Monday that they would begin observing a cease-fire at 1 a.m. (6 p.m. Sunday ET), but the truce never made it to daybreak.

Under the agreement, all checkpoints were required to be dismantled, gunmen from both sides were required to be withdrawn from the streets and any hostages held by either side were to be released.

"In order to maintain national unity and preserve Palestinian blood, Hamas and Fatah leaders met and agreed to end the fighting and remove the checkpoints," Ayman Taha, a Hamas official, said.

Earlier Sunday, violence between the Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah raged in Gaza, leaving four militants dead and several other people wounded, Palestinian sources said.

Two Hamas militants were killed in a firefight with Fatah militants outside a mosque in Gaza City, Palestinian security sources said.

Nine other Palestinians -- four Hamas militants and five bystanders -- were wounded in the fighting, the sources said.

Separately, a commander of the Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades -- Fatah's armed wing -- and his assistant were shot and killed in northern Gaza by an unknown gunman, Palestinian security sources said.

Fighting then broke out at the commander's funeral in Jabalya in northern Gaza, but there were no reports of casualties.

Palestinian security sources also reported that Fatah militants kidnapped Ali Sharif, a professor at the Islamic University of Gaza who has ties to Hamas.

Hamas claimed in a leaflet that it has kidnapped 70 Fatah members, Hamas sources said. Fatah did not immediately confirm the claim.

Last year, Hamas ended decades of Fatah rule by winning Palestinian elections.

After months of deadly clashes, the two sides met recently to build a new government aimed at ending the fighting.

CNN's Kevin Flower, Shira Medding and Waffa Munayyer contributed to this story.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/05/14/palestinians.cease.fire/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

In another attempt at this whole "government" thing, the warring factions Hamas and Fatah declared a cease fire set to start at 1 am on May 14th. The cease fire was promptly broken before day break on the same night. One wonders whether they just really like shooting each other. To add to the hilarity the Palestinian Interior Minister decided to "take his ball and go home", i.e. resigned in protest of the idiocy. For my part, I'm glad they're killing each other and not Jewish school kids. I'm sure someone wil find a way to blame Israel for inciting the two sides to kill each other though.

Shawarma
14th May 07, 12:24 PM
Good news. For as long as they're busy infighting, they won't have the energy to spare to fight Israelis.

Stick
14th May 07, 12:29 PM
Wow, so is that like a record for time between cease fire and, uh, re-fire?

Seriously, it's like they don't want to die of natural causes.

Shawarma
14th May 07, 12:41 PM
One thing is what the top people of both parties say. Another is what the rank-and-file think, and when your rank-and-file are uniformly armed hotheads, this outcome is less than surprising.

mrblackmagic
14th May 07, 06:00 PM
4 hours? Did somebody take a leak on the wrong side of the street?

ironlurker
14th May 07, 07:06 PM
http://www.israelnewsagency.com/mickeymousehamasterrorism.jpg

The character, named "Farfour," or "butterfly," but unmistakably a copy of the Disney character, preached for the destruction of the US and Israel each Friday on the show called "Tomorrow's Pioneers."
"Farfour" and his co-host, a young girl, talk about global Islam ruling the world as well as the need to annihilate the Jews and be victorious over America. An Israel watchdog group, Palestinian Media Watch, monitored and reported on the program.
In another April episode, captured by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), the child host and Mickey Mouse-like character speak to an off-screen child caller named "Sanabel."
"How will you sacrifice your soul for the sake of Al-Aqsa?" the girl is asked, according to the MEMRI translation.
"I will shoot," the girl answers. "We want to fight."
"We are defending Al-Aqsa with our souls and our blood, aren't we, Sanabel?" the host asks the caller, who replies, "I will commit martyrdom."
"You and I are laying the foundation for a world led by Islamists," Farfour squeaked on a recent episode. "We will return the Islamic community to its former greatness, and liberate Jerusalem, God willing, liberate Iraq, God willing, and liberate all the countries of the Muslims invaded by the murderers."
Children called in to the show, many singing Hamas anthems about fighting Israel.
A spokeswoman for Burbank, Calif.-based Walt Disney Co. did not return phone calls seeking comment, and the Gaza TV station had no comment. Although the Walt Disney Company has not made any public comment on the use of a Mickey Mouse look-alike to spread Hamas propaganda, Walt Disney's daughter is calling Hamas "pure evil" for "indoctrinating children like this."
Diane Disney Miller, 73, told the New York Daily News that the children's program on Hamas television is teaching children to be evil.
The program was opposed by the Palestinian Broadcasting Corp., which is controlled by the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, a Hamas rival that shares power with the terrorists in the Palestinian government . . .
The station's manager, Hazem al-Sharawi, said the show called "Tomorrow's Pioneers" has an educational message and refused to cancel it. In previous shows, Farfur called for Israel to be vanquished and Islam to "lead the world".
Al-Aqsa Television is part of Hamas's media campaign for political dominance over Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas's secular Fatah faction.
Fathi Hammad, chairman of Al-Aqsa Television, defended the show: "It does not violate any moral or professional standard," he told a Hamas Web site, adding it would not be withdrawn, nor will its content be modified . . .
But 10-year-old fan Hanin, said the show was mostly educational. "The show teaches us to recite the Quran, to pray and to speak in formal Arabic. We want the show to continue."
As documented by PMW, the four-year-old daughter of female suicide bomber Reem Riyashi sings to her dead mother and vows to follow in her footsteps. The video clip ends as the little girl picks up sticks of explosives from her mother's drawer.
The Al Aqsa TV children's program shows a child actress playing the daughter, watching Riyashi preparing the bomb and asking her mother, "Mommy, what are you carrying in your arms instead of me? A toy or a present for me?" She later sees a TV news story about her mother's suicide mission and death, and realizes her mother had been carrying a bomb.
"Only now, I know what was more precious than us..." she sings of the bomb.

http://www.israelnewsagency.com/mickeymousehamaspalestineterrorismrachelcorrieisra eladl48130507.html

Hamas Terror Mouse Blames the Jews for his Cheating

by Itamar Marcus and Barbara Crook
The Mickey Mouse clone named Farfur who's been preaching hatred and Islamic domination to Palestinian kids was back on the air and blaming the Jews for his woes on Friday, despite public statements by Palestinian Authority Minister of Information Mustafa Barghouti that the show would be taken off the Hamas TV network until it could be reviewed.
Farfur, star of the Al Aqsa TV children's show Tomorrow's Pioneers, was joined on the broadcast by his regular co-host, a little girl named Saraa. The program also featured an adult, Hazim, who delivered most of the show's messages about Islamic supremacy.
Palestinian Media Watch reported last week that the Hamas Mickey Mouse character was teaching world Islamic domination, violence and hatred. The ensuing worldwide outrage over the use of this character, dubbed "Terror Mouse" by the New York Daily News and described by Walt Disney's daughter as "pure evil," prompted the PA to announce that it was suspending the program until further review.
But the show is still on the air, with no change in content except for a somewhat smaller role for the squeaky-voiced Mickey Mouse knockoff. The more inflammatory comments are delivered by the soft-spoken adult character.
It appears from the latest broadcast that the Hamas or PA officials who oversaw the show were concerned only with neutralizing Farfur's dialogue, and not with moderating the show's content. It is as if they decided that the show's messages, which also promote hatred of Israel and the US, are completely acceptable - as long as the more controversial comments are not coming from a corrupted version of Disney's beloved mouse.
Even though Farfur's role in Friday's program was minimized, however, it was definitely not benign. When chastised for cheating by copying another student's work, he blamed "the Jews" for destroying his home, which prevented him from finding his own notebook.
Meanwhile, the adult Hazim told the child viewers that Islam will spread all over the world, including Spain, and that the spread of Islam is for the world's benefit. He said the "massacres" in Iraq, Lebanon, and Palestine will be replaced by "love and justice" under Islamic rule.
In a debate with PMW director Itamar Marcus on FOX TV today, Barghouti again acknowledged that children shouldn't be exposed to this type of television. He said that the program would be taken off, or have its content changed, by next week.

http://newsblaze.com/story/20070513215305nnnn.nb/newsblaze/TOPSTORY/Top-Stories.html

Walt Disney is spinning in his cryogenic chamber lol

billy sol hurok
14th May 07, 09:13 PM
http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/07.05.14.HamasKinder-X.gif

Zendetta
14th May 07, 09:16 PM
Walt Disney is spinning in his cryogenic chamber lol

LOL. Hardly. Ol' Walt's anti-semitism and support for the Nazis is pretty well known, or at least long-alleged. Maybe Hamas got teh r34l Mickey.

AAAhmed46
14th May 07, 10:57 PM
HAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!

Holy shit! I had no idea they would use such a wierd ass concept!!!!

Funny funny insane fucks!

ironlurker
15th May 07, 10:12 AM
LOL. Hardly. Ol' Walt's anti-semitism and support for the Nazis is pretty well known, or at least long-alleged. Maybe Hamas got teh r34l Mickey.
True, but I figured it was over the copyright infringement lol. Disney's had special loopholes given to them by congress for timeframes on intellectual material, if I remember correctly. Plus they've been allowed to argue that they own names like "Snow White" "Sleeping Beauty" "Cinderella" which are centuries old.

This site always has good stuff on Disney today, maybe they deserve to have a Hamas knock-off.

Some of the accidents that led to death or maiming were caused by the stupidity of the "guest" harmed; they didn't use safety equipment on the rides or did something asinine to endanger themselves, for instance. Some of the deaths and accidents were the fault of Disney, who according to OSHA, has violations heaped upon it at every OSHA inspection. However, the fines incurred are pocket change for Disney, who also find it cheaper to risk a possible injury or death down the line than lose money by shutting down a ride and spending the money to correct the violations.
In October 1999 Pat Shenck and her 8 year old son went on 'water sprite' jet skis on one of the park lagoons. One of their jet skis got stuck on the water when the shift wouldn't move out of neutral. A 23-year old inexperienced "captain' of the ferryboat "Kingdom Queen" hit them. Going against all park and safety regulations, he put the ferry into reverse, sucking Mrs. Shenck under the blades and boat, killing her. Before Disney called the "real" police and ambulance, they had divers in the water collecting evidence, looking for her body and pulling the bits of clothing and body from under the ferry. When they finally did find the body they tethered it to a buoy and left it in the lagoon for hours, refusing to let it be moved or let anyone to go out and attend to it until after nightfall when the visitors wouldn't see it and the ride wouldn't have to be shut down. Mind you -- her 8 year old son is there this whole time. I can't imagine anything so sick, and cruel.
On December 24, 1998, a piece of metal tore away from a dock as a Tall Ship was being tied to it, hitting visitors Luan Dawson and his wife Lieu Vuong. Luan died two days later in the hospital of a brain hemorrhage and skull fracture. His wife was in critical condition with facial disfigurements. Also injured was employee Christine Carpenter who underwent surgery on a badly lacerated foot and other leg injuries. Witnesses said the ship was going too fast and pulled the metal out of the dock as it was being tied, ricocheting it around and hitting the people. Which would be "neglect", except that Disney staff cleaned up all the blood and evidence fast as can be and the real police didn't even come out for three hours. Investigators in several cities with major amusement parks said the Anaheim police violated basic standards of police work when they didn't bother to go out to Disneyland immediately and look at the scene, long after park employees had cleaned things up and carted away the evidence. "You need to have an independent investigation that would be uninfluenced by Disney," said Santa Clara Sgt. Anton Morec Morec. "Maybe the worker was under the influence, maybe the maintenance records indicate this cleat was due for maintenance two weeks earlier. You treat it as a crime scene until you know otherwise."
Anaheim Police Chief Randall W. Gaston supported the actions of his detectives saying it is "usually counterproductive to
rush directly to the scene."
Marcelo Torres, 22, was killed on Sept. 5, 2003 while riding the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Ten other people were injured. The accident was caused when the locomotive derailed and disconnected from the rest of the train, which contains the passenger cars. Exactly what happened to Mr. Torres is unknown; he was hit in the chest with a blunt object that fractured his ribs, leading to the laceration of his lungs which caused "severe blood loss," according to an Orange County coroner's statement. He died at the scene.
In 1997 a girl lost a finger at It's A Small World when it got caught between the boat and the railing. Disney Claims people were there trying to get her mother to sign papers releasing them of responsibility before she was allowed to go to the ambulance.
In 1992, employee Dorian Weiss' hand was crushed by four hundred pounds of pressure when a gate closed on her.
When she became vocal about the serious safety problems at the park, Disney said it was just "union carping".
A man who got claustrophobic at Space ship Earth and could find no one to stop the ride jumped off and got ground up in a motor. Before Disney called an ambulance, they blocked the view and sent Disney 'hosts' into the crowd to question witnesses to find out just how much they did see, taking names and personal information of those who might later turn up in any lawsuit testimony.
Dolly Regene Young, 48, was killed on the Matterhorn when she was thrown from her seat and pinned under an oncoming car. Her seatbelt was found to be unfastened, but no one knew if she had unlocked it or a ride operator just forgot to check to make sure she was buckled in.On July 8, 1974, 18 year old Deborah Gail Stone was working at her job greeting each new audience as they came into America Sings and settled into their seats. She would stand on the stage, and the outer ring would rotate and take the audience to the first scene of the carousel. Stone got too close to the area between the rotating and nonmoving walls and was crushed to death between them. Ride operators were notified only when a visitor who was in the next theater heard her screaming..

http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disney.html

MaverickZ
15th May 07, 10:16 AM
It has come to my attention that 90% of the content in 90% of ironlurker's posts is copied and pasted. Cut that shit out!

ironlurker
15th May 07, 11:26 AM
It has come to my attention that 90% of the content in 90% of ironlurker's posts is copied and pasted. Cut that shit out!

Yes professor :emo:

AAAhmed46
16th May 07, 12:56 AM
Izzy and some guy named Jordon are talking more friendly relations.

At least it looks like some good is coming out of this...i think.

Steve
16th May 07, 01:13 AM

That's 10% that I still enjoy.

You redundantly clever bunny.

Sun Wukong
16th May 07, 02:55 PM
I'm surprised this didn't get more news coverage. This shit is damn close to boiling over, but Hamas is showing it's true colors very clearly here to the locals. They won't be able to put a benevolent spin on this shit.

AAAhmed46
16th May 07, 06:53 PM
Well they had better wake the fuck up.

Sun Wukong
17th May 07, 02:41 AM
The inside scoop from a local reporter who lives in the neighborhood where Fatah and Hamas are fighting it out.

GAZA CITY (AP) -- With gunbattles raging outside my building and my windows blown out by bullets, I sat in the dark hallway outside my apartment with my wife and baby.

It was dangerous inside and out.

On Wednesday, I saw several people shot in front of my building, I heard the screams of terrified women and children in a burning building, and I argued with gunmen who tried to take over my home. (Watch gunmen take to the streets in Gaza City (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/world/2007/05/16/vo.west.bank.fatah.protest.reut','2009/05/15');) http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.5/main/icon_video.gif (javascript:cnnVideo('play','javascript:cnnVideo(' play','/video/world/2007/05/16/vo.west.bank.fatah.protest.reut','2009/05/15');','2007/05/16');))

I have seen a lot in my years as a journalist in Gaza, but this is the worst it's been.

Much of the fighting is taking place right here in my neighborhood. I went outside a few times to report, just around the house.

I saw a building on fire after Hamas gunmen attacked, and I heard the screams of people who could not get out because of the gunbattles. (Read the Fatah, Hamas fourth attempt at a cease-fire (http://us.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/05/16/gaza.violence/index.html))

I saw Hamas gunmen going in and out of the building, and they were exchanging fire with Fatah forces. And there has been another battle going on all day at a nearby 12-story building.

My building is across from a Palestinian government complex, and both sides are fighting for control of the area.

Gunmen are taking over rooftops. My apartment is on the top floor of a five-story building and some Fatah fighters tried to force their way in Wednesday morning so they could shoot from my windows, overlooking the government compound. I had an argument with them, and they left.

There have been street battles between Hamas and Fatah before, but there are dangerous new elements this time. Now they are arresting or even shooting people for the way they look.

If you have a beard, you might be arrested by Fatah security for looking Islamic. If you have a chain around your neck or on your arm, Hamas gunmen might shoot you because you look secular.

As gunfire and explosions echo across the city, people who consider themselves the elite, the politicians, sit with Egyptian mediators at night and then come out announcing a truce. In the morning, fighting resumes and it's clear to us that these people don't control anything. (Watch people flee from gunfire on Monday (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/world/2007/05/14/vo.gaza.gunfire.affl','2009/05/13');) http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.5/main/icon_video.gif (javascript:cnnVideo('play','javascript:cnnVideo(' play','/video/world/2007/05/14/vo.gaza.gunfire.affl','2009/05/13');','2007/05/16');))

On Wednesday, three neighbor couples sat with us on the hall floor. It was dark because the electricity was out. We chatted, trying to calm ourselves despite the sounds of heavy gunfire and explosions that had not let up since 2 a.m.
Each of us has a baby. My son, Hikmet, is 9 months old. In the morning he was scared by the noise and he cried and called "mama," which is his first word.

Then he fell asleep for three hours.

After he woke up, he astonished me by staying calm despite all the shooting.

Neildo
17th May 07, 10:40 AM
Wow. Good find Chris.