PDA

View Full Version : 28 Weeks later.

elipson
12th May 07, 01:19 PM
Saw this movie last night. Not bad.

This movie is the sequal to 28 days later, one of the best zombie movies in a long time. For those who haven't seen it, the plot is that a zombie disease called rage has overwhelmed the British isle, leaving it a wasteland where survivors try to stay alive. The disease is transmitted through saliva and blood, and overtakes the victim in mere seconds, turning them into more zombie types. But, unlike old zombies, these ones are FAST. REALLY fast. The movie ends with britain being quarantined.

Flash forward 28 weeks after the initial infection, the zombies have all starved to death, and a NATO/US force retakes london. Repopulation begins after sufficient time. I'm sure you can pretty much guess what happens after that.

What did I thinkof the movie? It lived up well to its predecessor. To be honest there wasn't a whole lot of script. The characters spend more time RUNNING than they do talking. This isn't really a bad thing though. The movie has lots of jumpy parts, when the music gets quiet and you know something bad is about the happen.

The Zombies themselves are truely scary shit. Moving fast, smashing through shit, puking and biting everything. The chase scenes definetely get your blood going, and zombies keep appearing everywhere! Most of the movie is spent with the protagonists running from either the zombies or the army, (who has decided to kill everything they see, understandable really). There is a LOT of running in this movie.

Some of the scenes are typical stupid horror movie scenes, like running into a dark subway tunnel with no light. Kind of stupid. Some of the military stuff is a little retarded as well. You will be shaking your head at a few parts saying "why the fuck didn't they do this?"

These parts don't really hurt the movie though, as its main goal is to scare the shit out of people, and it does that fairly well.

The ending leads into another movie, so hopefully we will see a trilogy. Both this movie and the first one are clearly British films and have a certain un-american style about them, although the second one clearly has a more hollywood influence with pyro technics and lots of shooting, and american actors.

Overall it is one of the much better zombie movies, and would be a good movie to take a girl to if you both like scary movies. If you don't like scary movies, its still a good movie, but maybe a renter.

WarPhalange
12th May 07, 01:23 PM
They're not zombies. They're just really angry people.

Iscariot
12th May 07, 01:46 PM
Both this movie and the first one are clearly British films and have a certain un-american style about them, although the second one clearly has a more hollywood influence with pyro technics and lots of shooting, and american actors.

If I go and see this and it turns out to be a Yank film with a washed out palette (which I suspect it is) you and me are going to have words.

A British cast and a London setting does not a British film make.

elipson
12th May 07, 03:04 PM
Well like I said, this second one is a little more hollywood style. There is a lot more action in the second movie than over the original. The first had an eerie quietness about most of the movie, this one doesn't.

MaverickZ
12th May 07, 03:10 PM
They're not zombies. They're just really angry track stars.
Ficksed.

If I go and see this and it turns out to be a Yank film with a washed out palette (which I suspect it is) you and me are going to have words.

A British cast and a London setting does not a British film make.
Indeed, we'd need to have really obscure references to 60s British comedy shows.

Shawarma
12th May 07, 03:55 PM
Agreed. Maybe a couple of dead parrots would make it more British. Dead, ultrafast ZOMBIE PARROTS!

Matsufubu
12th May 07, 04:30 PM
I'll definitely go to see it. I'm sure it'll be reasonably enjoyable, but if it's about Yanks saving our asses then I'm gonna THROW SOME POPCORN AT A MUTHAFUCKA.

Also: I read somewhere that it's an allegory for the occupation of Afghanistan/Iraq. Would you agree?

elipson
12th May 07, 05:11 PM
I read somewhere that it's an allegory for the occupation of Afghanistan/Iraq. Would you agree?
Um.... if you REALLY wanted to you could say that, but not really...

They do have a "green zone" in this movie, like in Iraq. There is the idea of a safe zone and a wasteland, which could draw some parallels with those wars.

You also have american troops occupying a land that is not their own, and then slaughtering the infected (native population) indiscriminately when things go bad, so you could make a connection like that (but making this connection would require a very bad opinion of what american troops are doing in these two countries, not something i would agree with).

Question!
12th May 07, 05:57 PM
It was an awesome movie, with one ok two exceptions: THE STUPID RETARDED KID AND HIS DUMB SISTER!

Once again another annoying kid whose sole purpose is to fuck everything up for everyone. I kept waiting for him to get his head blown off by a sniper or burnt to death but alas, no such luck.

P.S. I don't regard this a major spoiler because everybody knows the kid always survives, well except for Grindhouse of course.

Edit: don't be a jerk ok?

Shawarma
13th May 07, 11:04 AM
Go watch "Assault on Pecinct 13" or whatever it was called, the one from the seventies. Features small girl getting shot at point-blank range.

I miss the movies of the seventies. Kids could still get killed in those, whereas they've seemed to have built up immunity to death in later movies.

AAAhmed46
13th May 07, 02:59 PM
Go watch "Assault on Pecinct 13" or whatever it was called, the one from the seventies. Features small girl getting shot at point-blank range.

I miss the movies of the seventies. Kids could still get killed in those, whereas they've seemed to have built up immunity to death in later movies.f

Yeah. I agree.

Matsufubu
13th May 07, 03:23 PM

I miss the movies of the seventies. Kids could still get killed in those, whereas they've seemed to have built up immunity to death in later movies.

Have you seen the original, unedited Dawn of the Dead? There's a scene they cut out where two zombie children attack Peter (the black dude), and he throws them onto a sofa and fills them full of lead.

Stuff like that is sorely missing nowadays. No wonder the little bastards won't behave.

Question!
13th May 07, 03:40 PM
In 28 days later, I believe they killed an Infected kid.

Yiktin Voxbane
13th May 07, 03:54 PM

Shot in the face whilst getting icecream no less ... quaint lil scene that stays with ya (and I saw it on Betamax) ...

Shawarma
13th May 07, 04:02 PM
Not in the face, I just realized. In the chest. Here is the scene:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t9VqlvPT640

Damn cold-blooded. Not likely to see that in a modern movie.

Morale: YOU BETTER BE HAPPY WITH THE FUCKING FLAVOUR OF ICECREAM YOU GET, YOU LITTLE BRAT!

AAAhmed46
13th May 07, 04:10 PM
Mouthy kids!

Shawarma
13th May 07, 04:12 PM
Another great child-pwning scene I can think of would be the one in the beginning of Once Upon A Time In The West where Henry Fonda ambushes the Irish settler family and blows them all away, 5 kids and all. Don't remember it as being as graphic as the video I posted above, though.

Iscariot
13th May 07, 04:23 PM
Man Bites Dog and Leon.

And yes, they did kill an infected kid in 28 Days Later, Jim beat it to death in the service station cafe.

Shawarma
13th May 07, 04:26 PM
You don't actually see the kid getting blasted in Leon, as far as I remember. Plenty of movies have kids getting killed, but the in-your-face, nihilistic portrayal of it is something that the seventies and early eighties had a lot of.

Another great scene that couldn't be done today is the start scene of The Hidden. Bad guy robs bank, shooting several guards in the process, then gets into his getaway car and drives through a park where he hits a nurse pushing a cripple in a wheelchair. Nurse dodges, cripple gets thrown hiiiigh in the sky, wheelchair and all. Awesome film!

Sun Wukong
13th May 07, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry, I guess I'm among the number of people that get really uncomfortable watching little kids get wasted on screen. For one, it's too easy of a ploy and for another, it's usually just in poor taste. definitely not my cup of tea.

Shawarma
13th May 07, 04:42 PM
I personally miss the darkness and nihilism of seventies and eighties movies. The icecream scene is a fine example of it - Girl had no reason to die, but got shot for no apparent reason. Not even a plot device with anyone swearing revenge, she just got blown away because it's a dark, gritty and nasty film. Beats all these happy-happy films that may have tons of bloodshed and dismemberment but also morals and flash that they make these days.

Matsufubu
13th May 07, 05:32 PM
I wonder if there is a correlation between young people getting killed in films and youth crime? I mean, if the little bastards don't think they'll ever be killed then they behave like shits. I think a random culling is in order.

Question!
13th May 07, 09:14 PM
Yes! A study should be done on this! Too bad there are too few films that fit this criteria.

Steve
14th May 07, 03:12 AM
Movies have just moved on to more real-life death for children.

Watch Kids.

Osiris
14th May 07, 06:59 AM
Can we get a damn climax? The movie just kinda tapered off. lame

mrblackmagic
14th May 07, 06:38 PM
It wasn't bad. I saw Intacto another movie by the director, Juan Carlos Fresnilla, along time ago. He doesn't do ending very well.

CannibalCrowley
16th May 07, 09:06 AM
We need to tell our troops to throw away their gas masks and MOPP suits because you only need a t-shirt to protect yourself from nerve gas.

Sun Wukong
16th May 07, 02:59 PM
Did they seriously have people protecting themselves from nerve gas by covering their mouths with a T-Shirt? fucking retarded.

Question!
16th May 07, 05:18 PM
It was temporary, it wasn't retarded.

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

Neildo
16th May 07, 05:45 PM
I will, on my PSP!

hahahollywood, pspwned.

PizDoff
16th May 07, 10:21 PM
Good movie overall. Would recommend for those who had seen the first one. For those that didn't see 28 Days Later, go see that first.

I was really a fan of the first one, characters you built an identity with, with proper lead up. This sequel seemed to be made for those who had already seen the first one, with very little information at the start to remind viewers what lovely events had transpired.

It may have been the tacos I ate which gave me quite a stomach ache but I found it hard to identity as deeply with the characters as the first movie. The first movie had pretty much the same two characters throughout the movie, while the second focused on the dad a bit initially.

I liked how they lead into finding their mother, something I didn't see coming. That Tammy girl kinda looked like Denise Richards. Small goofs I noticed was the plane coming into a REALLY small landing strip, some army guy saying it can't be spread between species though in the first movie it come from infected monkies. Insert joke about army intel.

The ending leads into another movie, so hopefully we will see a trilogy.

I really don't think we need another one. More military blowing up zombies and some people running?

Neildo
16th May 07, 10:31 PM
Yes. Zombie movies are awesome.

elipson
16th May 07, 10:50 PM
I noticed the monkey part too. Strange. And the T-shirtpart was pretty stupid. Makes me wonder what kind of gas it was, and it killed the zombies fast.

Piz hit it dead on with the characters. The first had much better characters, while this one was more action driven.

Question!
16th May 07, 11:52 PM
I doubt anyone knew the virus came from the animal testing lab. They probably surmised it couldn't cross species because other animals such as dogs, horses etc, were not affected. But since monkeys are so close biology wise to us it was possible for it to make the jump.

As for the gas thing, I guess since they were all RAGE infected they were breathing super heavily and shit and thus succumbed quickly.

elipson
17th May 07, 12:09 AM
As for the gas thing, I guess since they were all RAGE infected they were breathing super heavily and shit and thus succumbed quickly.
Na, the movie just fucked up in that part.

Man. Ever since I saw that movie I keep thinking how I would react in that situation. Looking for places to barracade, places to hide or climb, places i could defend. That's funny.

Question!
17th May 07, 12:27 AM
You mean haven't thought up of a zombie/rage infection survival plan? For shame!

Steve
17th May 07, 01:02 AM
The plan has been made up for us: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47041

elipson
17th May 07, 06:36 PM
You mean haven't thought up of a zombie/rage infection survival plan? For shame!

Dude, you have no idea how much time at work I've spent thinking about this.

I've already come up with a comprehensive plan for defending my town, including how to organize police/military responses, thinking of ways to draft citizens into the military reserve in this town, starting with those having recent military experience, then those with long ago experience, and then those with none but some firearms training, the later who will comprise block watches for individual neighbourhoods; releasing a video advising ppl how to protect thermselves, such as biulding safe rooms with supplies and weapons and communications, procedures for containing an initial outbreak, fall back points for military personal, what locations should be turned into hard points for defensive purposes, theorizing how fast an outbreak would reach my city from say, Vancouver, or how long it would take to hit Prince George in the north (my fall back points), what vehicles should be used (raised pickups), how I could defend my own apartment (barracade the doors, if they make it inside the halls, barracade my own door and coordinate with others by climbing the railings to other rooms that are safe).

If given enough time I would also outfit every house with a red light on the top activated by a button inside the house, to warn when an infected had been spotted and to help direct containment efforts.

Seriously, I've been obsessed with thinking about this for the past week.

PizDoff
19th May 07, 12:47 AM
Zombie invasions are part of why I believe in private gun ownership.

Wonder if that car had bulletproof glass, in other scenes zombies were smashing through reendorced glass and wood.

Neildo
24th May 07, 01:11 PM
I'm about halfway through this. A bit surprised at the twist of how the infection spreads. I'm liking this, too bad my copy is such a rough cam. Didn't the DVD already come out in the UK?

PizDoff
24th May 07, 04:11 PM
Don't know. It was probably one of us Canadians pirating it anyways.

Neildo
24th May 07, 05:14 PM
Hm, possibly. It has french subtitles (which pissed me off a bit LOL)

elipson
26th May 07, 11:33 PM
Stop being cheap. Its a movie that is better seen in theater.

Question!
27th May 07, 12:25 AM
I agree.

JimmyTheHutt
28th May 07, 02:15 AM
I just wanted those two stupid fucking kids to DIE.

Seriously.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Shawarma
28th May 07, 02:18 AM
That really should be the part all children play in horror movies. I was cheering for the facehugger in Alien 2.

Equipoise
29th May 07, 05:27 PM
Problems:

1. Apparently they're going to give a BRITISH civilian who was a survivor access to everything including a containment area for the infected.

2. Uhh would you honestly kiss your wife knowing that she was around the infected and probably bitten?

3. Also, there are apparently no guards anywhere near the containment area for his infected wife. NONE. No cameras either. Also, those doors lock from the inside. How the hell did he manage to get out without being let out?

4. Apparently the soldiers near the containment area have crap for training, radio communication and tactical skills.

5. Code Red involves locking everyone in a basement and cutting the power...?

6. Leaving the green zone should = sniper rounds. Kids or not, letting anyone out jeopardized and ultimately Snafu'd the whole area.

7. Apparently the zombies developed nightvision and are able to navigate a PITCH BLACK train tunnel.

8. You have a night vision scope...You see an infected and just stand there? Shoot his ass. If you get your primary gun taken away, use the pistol on your thigh and shoot...

9. Teach your stupid kids how to shoot.

10. Why did they firebomb the city? Why not wait another 28 weeks and then clean it up again with revised plans..

This movies is yet another reason I'm not having kids...

elipson
29th May 07, 07:17 PM
Like I said, there were some military "what-the-fucks?", but what were you expecting? It's not a military documentary.

elipson
29th May 07, 07:18 PM
And dude, learn to use the spoiler tags!

Equipoise
29th May 07, 08:34 PM
Enough people have seen enough action movies, etc. to know what's a good idea and what's not. Apparently in the alternate universe of 28WL, everyone reverts to stupidity.

My girlfriend added number 11

11. Why didn't they use the stupid gas first instead of blowing up the city?

Neildo
29th May 07, 11:48 PM
all good points. i got a better version but i can't bring myself to watch it.

viator
31st May 07, 01:27 PM
Haven't seen 28 weeks, but the military thing is usually what annoys me most in any zombie flick. Especialy Land of the Dead, that movie annoys me on so many levels.

KhorneliusPraxx
10th October 07, 11:21 AM
I worried about that too...but I think this one is handled pretty well. I took issue with a couple of points. (Sniper sniping a fellow sniper instead of getting on the radio and saying, "Hey fucker I'm down here. Don't shoot my ass." and the retarded Helicopter dice-o-matic.) Over all though it was handled pretty well.

I don't get the fact that some people are saying that the American forces are the bad guys in the film. What the hell do they expect them to do? My plan would have been to evacuate a military and nuke the entire city.

KhorneliusPraxx
10th October 07, 11:29 AM
Problems:

1. Apparently they're going to give a BRITISH civilian who was a survivor access to everything including a containment area for the infected.

2. Uhh would you honestly kiss your wife knowing that she was around the infected and probably bitten?

3. Also, there are apparently no guards anywhere near the containment area for his infected wife. NONE. No cameras either. Also, those doors lock from the inside. How the hell did he manage to get out without being let out?

4. Apparently the soldiers near the containment area have crap for training, radio communication and tactical skills.

5. Code Red involves locking everyone in a basement and cutting the power...?

6. Leaving the green zone should = sniper rounds. Kids or not, letting anyone out jeopardized and ultimately Snafu'd the whole area.

7. Apparently the zombies developed nightvision and are able to navigate a PITCH BLACK train tunnel.

8. You have a night vision scope...You see an infected and just stand there? Shoot his ass. If you get your primary gun taken away, use the pistol on your thigh and shoot...

9. Teach your stupid kids how to shoot.

10. Why did they firebomb the city? Why not wait another 28 weeks and then clean it up again with revised plans..

This movies is yet another reason I'm not having kids...

all good points but if everything was done perfectly, there wouldn't have been much of a movie.
I would have just edited out the Helicopter slice and dice. (That was some Hollywood bullshit.)

KhorneliusPraxx
10th October 07, 11:32 AM
another thing I found strange, which has nothing to do with the movie, was the daughter. How could one person be so absolutely stunningly beautiful straight on and at the same time have such an absolutely repulsive profile?

Cullion
10th October 07, 01:01 PM
I know how she feels.