PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is sport ...

Yiktin Voxbane
11th May 07, 11:19 AM
Just like the title suggests, What criteria does an activity have to match in order to qualify as a sport, to you .

EG : Some say Boxing is the sport of kings , others would say you play a sport, you don't play boxing ...

So, lets hear it you horrid miscreants.

Kiko
11th May 07, 02:10 PM
Posting on intarweb forums R teh finest sport evar!

Steve
11th May 07, 02:23 PM
Most of the things I post on teh intarwebs are posted in sport. It's just that sometimes people take me srsly. :(

Also, poking fun at someone can be a pretty fun sport. Esp in this digital playground.

PizDoff
11th May 07, 02:49 PM
If they have not the wit to respond, would that be sporting?

Mr. Jones
11th May 07, 02:52 PM
Pwning perverts on "to catch a predator"

downinit
11th May 07, 03:59 PM
The concept of sports lacks any defining features. Sports are typically the same as games in general, with the exception that they're played repeatedly with measured scores in order to gauge skill level and establish winners and losers, and often require more physical engagement. Of course, the concept of games itself isn't definitive either. In order to fully define sports, we might look at a particular sport--say soccer--as the sport prototype and subsequently define other activities as sports based on how well they match this prototype. Additonally, we can also develop essentialist theories about the underlying realities of sports that allow us to bypass more concrete features, e.g. considering figure skating a sport, but not ballroom dancing.

Jacklenut
12th May 07, 01:07 PM
go back on AIM you cock sucker

WarPhalange
12th May 07, 01:16 PM
Physics is the ultimate sport.

Kiko
12th May 07, 02:08 PM
I'd have to say it's in the top ten. (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45343)

Yiktin Voxbane
13th May 07, 05:51 AM
Wow a Jacklenut sighting .

Kiko
13th May 07, 07:04 AM
They're not endangered. Fire away!

OZZ
14th May 07, 04:11 PM
It bothers me to see Poker on a sports network. That is not a sport..neither is Darts. That is a recreational activity, not a sport. I like darts though, lots of fun.
Is Auto Racing a sport? If not, what is it?

mrblackmagic
14th May 07, 06:12 PM
A sport is any competitive activity preparing someone for war/combat.

In modern terms: it is any competitive activity that a person can play reasonably well while drunk. So swimming, gymnastics, and duck hunting are not sports.

Pie of Hate
18th April 13, 09:04 AM
A sport is any competitive activity preparing someone for war/combat.

In modern terms: it is any competitive activity that a person can play reasonably well while drunk. So swimming, gymnastics, and duck hunting are not sports.

I concur.

NoBowie
18th April 13, 09:15 AM
Not golf.

Pie of Hate
18th April 13, 09:17 AM
Or curling.

AAAAAA
18th April 13, 09:25 AM
Leisure done seriously.

Pie of Hate
18th April 13, 09:40 AM

Spade: The Real Snake
18th April 13, 11:22 AM
I fake cancer on reddit to get free sports video games like Madden 2005.

OZZ
18th April 13, 10:11 PM
I sometimes have difficulty defining sport, as it were.
I think I would classify auto racing as a sport because it tests a man's manual dexterity, eye-hand co-ordination, determination and nerves as well as (to a lesser extent) endurance and pits these qualities against an opponent.
It is also subject to alteration by the elements , weather plays a factor in the outcome sometimes, just as it can in football or golf.
However, its hard for me to classify auto racers as 'athletes' in the truest sense.
The other difficulty is something like Darts - which I consider an activity not a sport, but it also tests a person's manual dexterity and eye-hand co- ordination.
People want to classify things like darts or horseshoes as sports, but I am not sure about that.
Golf has to be considered a sport, I think. Albeit a wussy one.

Neildo
19th April 13, 12:09 AM
NASCAR is definitely a contact sport. i don't know the statistics, but there must be more deaths in nascar racing than other contact sports. hell, i think competitive cheerleading is more dangerous than MMA.

19th April 13, 07:58 AM
I love Lacrosse, Canada's Official National Sport.

Üser Friendly
21st April 13, 05:27 PM
EG : Some say Boxing is the sport of kings , others would say you play a sport, you don't play boxing ...

Isn't that horse racing?

And soccer is the beautiful game

And Game of Thrones is definatly more like a sport

NoBowie
22nd April 13, 09:54 AM
Bill Gates = Sport.

QqfjiuqVrV4

Pie of Hate
22nd April 13, 10:22 AM
So thats how people get super wealthy. Bastards.

Harpy
24th April 13, 02:43 AM
Sport involves playing/competing against an opponent or multiple opponents to win (what and how one wins is another thing altogether). That is it's defining feature. I'm sure DAYoung could write a near-spiritual article about the nature of sport.

It is NOT virtual (no pretend) and involves the use of mind, body and sometimes props to attain some end.

Pie of Hate
24th April 13, 03:07 AM
So how come WWE is on the sports channels then?

24th April 13, 07:52 AM
I'm sure DAYoung could write a near-spiritual article about the nature of sport.
DAYoung would linger just a tad too long on naked Greek Olympic wrestling, as he is wont to do.

Pie of Hate
24th April 13, 08:23 AM
He only does it for the free oil check.

Harpy
24th April 13, 04:29 PM
Take that back!

Pie of Hate
24th April 13, 04:32 PM
You're bringing sexy back!

Thank you very much.

24th April 13, 04:41 PM
Take that back!
Oh yes, he *would*

Harpy
24th April 13, 05:10 PM
Sports I could definitely beat you two at:
any damn running distance
netball (why did I just imagine Cullion in a red netball skirt and a Wing Defence bib?)

24th April 13, 05:23 PM
maybe not

netball (why did I just imagine Cullion in a red netball skirt and a Wing Defence bib?)
wtf?

AAAAAA
24th April 13, 06:01 PM

What the hell is netball?

btw Snake used to play football so you got at least another serious runner here.

24th April 13, 06:59 PM
btw Snake used to play football so you got at least another serious runner here.
Center Midfield/Sweeper/Stopper depending of opposing team's line-up going strength to strength. (http://www.livestrong.com/article/400871-the-average-distance-run-in-a-soccer-game/)

Harpy
24th April 13, 07:24 PM
If he was 10 years younger then sure.

netball - you're missing out. Someone post a YouTube vid plz.
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/10/netball_narrowweb__200x311.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/728/901/7Netball_display_image.jpg?1325027835

Netball is huge in Australia and NZ.

24th April 13, 08:31 PM
I still play Rec league level soccer with guys in their early 20s
I lost that first step quickness I used to have but still have the breath

Get some!

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

OZZ
24th April 13, 09:20 PM
I miss playing soccer..I was a keeper on a couple of teams and the last time I played was my third year at uni when a few of the guys at the philosophy department decided to put together a team for the Intramural league.
Needless to say, the philosophy department wasn't exactly stocked with great athletes. There were only about four or five of us that could actually play.
I ended up doing a lot of damage-control drop kicks in those games.

resolve
24th April 13, 10:28 PM
I played soccer for 3 years on championship teams as right wing and fullback. I was an ok right wing (only scored once during my time but have uncountable assists to the sweeper/forwards) but an amazing fullback (so many returns back to my offense, so many slidetackles, so many mid-air chest catches, ah... the memories :).

I remember the hardest I have ever run was the time I played 2 championship games back to back and not only started but played the whole of both games.

Then I screwed up my knee and my ability to run. Still tried out but couldn't make the cut for the teams any more :(. Got it healed and been slowly getting back to running this past year. I suck. 13 years without running will do that.

Any of you could smoke me now I'm sure :P.

Dang, now I want to go buy a soccer ball!

Pie of Hate
25th April 13, 03:59 AM
IT'S A FOOTBALL!!!!

Feryk
25th April 13, 04:23 PM
Yes, it is. However, we in NA already HAD something called a 'Football' when the sport became popular over here, so we call it 'Soccer'.

I played Soccer, but never inflicted that shite on my kids (well, my son played it until he was six, then we switched him to Karate). Terrible sport. Boring and full of diving prima donnas.

Pie of Hate
25th April 13, 04:27 PM
Pro football is ten colours of shite but getting a couple beers in and having a kick about is good fun.

Fussball is acceptable.

Feryk
25th April 13, 04:29 PM
Pro football is ten colours of shite but getting a couple beers in and having a kick about is good fun.

Fussball is acceptable.

You have cricket, we have baseball.

You have rugby, we have football.

You have soccer, we have ANYTHING ELSE.

Don't blame us for perfecting your sports for you.

Harpy
25th April 13, 04:33 PM
My dad played football/soccer at a national level (U-19s) and stuffed up his knee. 22 men running up and down a paddock chasing one ball and yes, feigning injury, is not cool. All the Brits I worked with would always be watching the EPL first thing in the morning in the office like they were transfixed.

Pie of Hate
25th April 13, 04:36 PM
Baseball is just an expanded version of Rounders

Am Football is a softer version of Rugby

Do what you like with reall Football; it can't get any worse.

We only invented Cricket to give the Indians something to do.

Feryk
25th April 13, 04:39 PM
Am football is an evolved, far nastier form of sport than Rugby.

Don't believe me. Look at the injury statistics. And consider the armor these fucks wear.

That does not mean that AM Football PLAYERs are tougher. Rugby players are fucking tough as hell. But the game is not nearly as prone to injuries as AM Football.

Pie of Hate
25th April 13, 04:43 PM
Its because rugby players are tougher that the injuries are less. They break the ground.

Pie of Hate
25th April 13, 04:48 PM
In all seriousness. Its the evolution of the rules that has made Rugby relatively safe. Still need to be a mean motorscooter to do it though. Am. football seems to have gone the other way. Bigger impacts = greater show.

resolve
26th April 13, 01:19 AM
Honestly they wouldn't play the way they do without the armor.

It would basically be stop/start rugby... or rugby chess if you want to think of it that way. And probably tons less injuries too.

The average Am Football player gets their body to absolute physical perfection playing through high school/college/and then pro and muscle toned to hell and back (the only exception being some fat sumo-like defensive lineman)... and they last just a few years at most and a good deal retire with completely screwed up bodies afterwards.

Standing next to them they look like freaking fridges.

The same thing happens with most American Military grunts too.

Üser Friendly
26th April 13, 10:08 AM
Rugby guys make excellent judoka IMO

OZZ
26th April 13, 10:56 AM
AM football is being slowly ripped to shreds by excessive enforcement of rules, and new rules. The concussion issue that has taken hold of hockey by the throat is creeping into football as well.
I mean, a guy's head is going to get snapped back when he takes a hard tackle or an open-ice hit he doesn't see coming. That's just a fact.
But these doctors bemoan the fact that repetition of these types of collisions over the years leads to concussions and brain damage - so we need to change things.
What would these doctors like us to do ?
Non-contact hockey ?
Change the NFL game to flag-football ?
Seriously, its a contact sport and the guys get paid well to put their bodies on the line. Outlaw hits to the head or hits from behind all you want, but I get so annoyed with this issue.
Especially when I'm reading articles where doctors and pussy-parents are pushing to have minor hockey switched to non-contact.
What these people don't understand is that you cannot just put a kid on skates and teach him all the fundamentals of hockey without teaching him how to both give and take a bodycheck.
What kind of pro aspirations could a kid have if he didn't take his first body check until major junior ?
The way it sits now, bodychecking is allowed , in competitive minor leagues, in pee wee ( ages 10-11, roughly) and bantam (12-13 roughly) for non-competitive/house league.
I can remember my pals and I being so excited ( and a little apprehensive, for sure) about moving up to the age bracket where checking was allowed. We savored it..but these whiny parent- groups want us to believe that their kids are scared to death and often quit because of it.
That's bullshit.
Sorry for ranting..but I get wound up over this one. People who have little-to-no involvement in the game are already trying to get rid of fighting in hockey, and they will be going after bodychecking next. All the while using concussions as their platform.
Fucking pansies.

OZZ
26th April 13, 10:59 AM
Rugby guys make excellent judoka IMO

And wrestlers too..
But most of the hard-core rugby guys I've met spend the off-season healing up and letting their bodies recuperate a bit.

Feryk
26th April 13, 12:56 PM
Ozz, surely when we lost Probert, Boogardt, etc. the lights went on that something needed to change.

These guys are not the same after head injuries. They are not able to lead anything close to productive lives afterwards. And it isn't only the pros with this issue. Rather, they represent the literally tens of thousands of amateur players that are NOT getting paid millions of dollars to put their bodies on the line.

We are irresponsible if we do not address this issue sooner rather than later.

And no, we should NOT ban fighting in Hockey, or contact in Football. That is not the solution we need.

Üser Friendly
26th April 13, 01:00 PM
And wrestlers too..
But most of the hard-core rugby guys I've met spend the off-season healing up and letting their bodies recuperate a bit.

We have had a few at few at our club

Not intimadated by hands on, used to being manhandled, tough

If I wasn't such a pussy I might take it up

OZZ
26th April 13, 08:04 PM
Ozz, surely when we lost Probert, Boogardt, etc. the lights went on that something needed to change.

These guys are not the same after head injuries. They are not able to lead anything close to productive lives afterwards. And it isn't only the pros with this issue. Rather, they represent the literally tens of thousands of amateur players that are NOT getting paid millions of dollars to put their bodies on the line.

We are irresponsible if we do not address this issue sooner rather than later.

And no, we should NOT ban fighting in Hockey, or contact in Football. That is not the solution we need.

I think the deaths of Boogard and Probert did more to bring the rampant painkiller addiction among enforcers to light, it was the near career-ending concussion suffered by Crosby that really brought things to a head as far as the concussion issue goes.
I believe it was LaFontaine who was one of the first high-profile NHL'ers to have his career ended by concussion-related problems. But the list of bigger names has grown over the years to include Lindros (both of them, actually) , Keith Primeau, Paul Kariya, Chris Pronger..
Anyways, I know its a serious issue. But other than severely penalizing headshots and boarding incidents - what else is there to do ?
Fighting isn't the culprit. I know that plenty of fighters get concussed once or twice in their careers as a direct result of a fight, but its not that often that you hear about an enforcer being out of the lineup after a scrap due to a concussion. Its usually a torn rotator-cuff, fractured orbital bone or broken fingers that sideline these guys.
Feryk, you know the type of hits that are to blame here.
I'm just worried that the anti-contact crowd is going to try and get stupid rule changes implemented; like maybe altering the standards for charging or something.
I keep reading articles with doctors bemoaning the fact that concussions are cumulative, and basically arguing that every single bodycheck a player takes right from pee wee on up is one more notch towards a severe concussion.
This is just exaggeration and provides fuel for the anti-contact crowd. They get some clown with a couple of letters beside his name in their corner and away they go.

NoBowie
17th August 17, 03:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/g7kJsQX.gif

NoBowie
5th September 17, 07:48 PM
SiQp3UC15yI