PDA

View Full Version : Pay to Stay Prisons

bob
9th May 07, 05:37 AM
California offenders pay-to-stay in jail upgrades
By Jennifer Steinhauer
The New York Times
Published: Sunday, April 29, 2007

SANTA ANA, Calif. - Anyone convicted of a crime knows a debt to society often must be paid in jail. But a slice of Californians willing to supplement that debt with cash (no personal checks, please) are finding that the time can be almost bearable.
For offenders whose crimes are usually relatively minor (carjackers should not bother) and whose bank accounts remain lofty, a dozen or so city jails across the state offer pay-to-stay upgrades. Theirs are a clean, quiet, if not exactly sought-after alternative to the standard county jails, where the walls are bars, the fellow inmates are hardened and privileges are few.

Those in the know
''I have never run into this,'' said Ken Kerle, managing editor of the publication American Jail Association and author of two books on jails. ''But the rest of the country doesn't have Hollywood either. Most of the people who go to jail are economically disadvantaged, often mentally ill, with alcohol and drug problems and are functionally illiterate. They don't have $80 a day for jail.''

The California prison system, severely overcrowded, teeming with violence and infectious diseases and so dysfunctional that much of it is under court supervision, is one that anyone with the slightest means would most likely pay to avoid.

"The benefits are that you are isolated and you don't have to expose yourself to the traditional county system,'' said Christine Parker, a spokeswoman for CSI, a national provider of jails that runs three in Orange County with pay-to-stay programs. ''You can avoid gang issues. You are restricted in terms of the number of people you are encountering and they are a similar persuasion such as you.'' Most of the programs - which offer 10 to 30 beds - stay full enough that marketing is not necessary, though that was not always the case.

Link (http://www.registerguard.com/news/2007/04/29/a5.nat.jail.0429.p1.php?section=nation_world)

Brave new world...

mrblackmagic
9th May 07, 07:24 AM
Modern prison defeats the purpose of jail, but this some how seems a step beyond that.

DerAuslander108
9th May 07, 02:07 PM
Prison /= jail.

PizDoff
9th May 07, 03:51 PM
Marketing wasn't necessary? That's good.

Paris Hilton would like one with a jacuzzi. Oh, and decorated by Martha Stewart.

ICY
9th May 07, 07:21 PM
Equality, sweet equality.

mrblackmagic
9th May 07, 07:23 PM
Prison /= jail.

Urp?

WarPhalange
9th May 07, 08:01 PM
Modern prison defeats the purpose of jail, but this some how seems a step beyond that.

Yes, but look at who will get the opportunity to do this. If even a car jacker won't, then that leaves people who got caught with pot and probably guys who didn't pay child support or something.

Kein Haar
9th May 07, 11:16 PM
One more time...

Prison /= jail.

DerAuslander108
10th May 07, 12:36 AM
Come on guys, I learned that in fucking 6th grade.

WarPhalange
10th May 07, 12:44 AM
Well some of us have never been arrested and aren't cops, so we wouldn't know.

Dagon Akujin
10th May 07, 02:28 AM
Prison: the stuff you see in movies, with "Bubba" and soap. You only go to prison if you are being sentenced for longer than a year. You get a cell. Run by the state or feds.
http://fantasyjackpalance.com/fjp/photos/fjp-dead/misc/small/pst-girls-in-prison.jpg

Jail: For smaller offences and terms of less than a year. You are in a holding cell with a bunch of other people, probably not Bubba though, and sometimes a pay-phone. Run by the county. If you are in a room with Bubba, you have 20 other guys in there too who'll make sure he doesn't touch you when you drop the soap.
http://www.historicmonroe.org/Images/h047.jpg

Dagon

WarPhalange
10th May 07, 01:02 PM
What if they are all Bubba?

DerAuslander108
10th May 07, 01:23 PM
The key to prison life is to Bubba them before they Bubba you.

OZZ
10th May 07, 03:21 PM
In Canada you go to Prison if you are sentenced to more than two years. That is why they have the two years less a day sentence..
I was in and out of jail when I was a younger man, but never ended up in prison. Jail is tough, but not that tough. You just need to follow the inmate rules and stay out of other people's business.
I spent most of my time reading and working out. Played a lot of Risk too..
California has a really fucked up penal system from what I have seen and read.

mrblackmagic
11th May 07, 07:06 AM
Yes, but look at who will get the opportunity to do this. If even a car jacker won't, then that leaves people who got caught with pot and probably guys who didn't pay child support or something.

it'll probably be guys caught with blow, white collar stuff, and child support.