PDA

View Full Version : 18yr old arrested for "violent" essay, over-reaction due to VT shooting?

Steve
26th April 07, 04:57 PM
Please tell me that this isn't happening:

Student Arrested For Alarming School Essay
Officials: Essay Referenced A School Shooting

http://imgred.com/http://llnw.img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_116071430/lg(CBS) CARY, Ill. An 18-year-old high school student from the northwest suburbs has been arrested and is facing criminal charges for what officials called an alarming essay that made reference to a school shooting.

Allen W. Lee, a student at Cary-Grove High School in Cary, was charged with disorderly conduct stemming from an essay that was part of a "free writing" assignment in a creative writing class.

The teen was charged because his teacher became alarmed by the "violence" he described, Cary Police Chief Ron Delelio said. The essay contained no specific threats but was "disturbing and inappropriate," he said.

The paper allegedly made a vague reference to a fictional school shooting in McHenry County but didn’t specify a school or district, a law enforcement source said.

Lee admitted mentioning school shooting in the essay, but downplayed it.

"At the very last sentence, I said that this teacher's method of teaching could lead to a school shooting," Lee said Wednesday. He said he'd intended the entire essay as a joke.

Lee's father, Albert Lee, questioned the severity of the punishment.

"We think they have been too harsh," Albert Lee said Wednesday. "Every story has two sides."

The charges come less than two weeks after Virginia Tech senior Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people and then himself on the Blacksburg, Va., campus. Cho had written violence-drenched plays in his creative writing class.

"I understand what happened recently at Virginia Tech," said Albert Lee. "I understand the situation."

But he also defended his son as a straight-A student who was following instructions for the assignment.

But police said it was necessary to be extra vigilant regarding the possibility of school violence.

"We filed what we thought was the appropriate charge," Delelio said. "We need to be very vigilant today when we’re dealing with school settings."

Lee’s creative writing instructor — a first-year teacher — became so concerned when reading the essay Monday night that she called the Cary-Grove English Department chair, who then called the principal at home, said Community High School District 155 Supt. Jill Hawk.

Police were alerted, and Lee was arrested Tuesday morning. By Wednesday, Lee was in an "off-campus placement" with a tutor "while we assess just how extensively we need to be concerned," Hawk said.

Allen Lee faces disciplinary action, said Jeff Puma, a District 155 spokesman.

Police have declined to release a copy of the essay.

"It raised some flags," Puma said. "I think, in this case, the teacher chose to err on the side of caution and, I think, rightly so."

Ed Yohnka, spokesman for the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, said that without knowing all the details of the essay, "You have to wonder whether [the charges were] an overreaction, given the events at Virginia Tech."

"He turned it in to a teacher. He didn't post it online," Yohnka added. "It's not a communication between him and the broader world. This [charge] is just very puzzling."

A Cary-Grove student who knows Lee described him as quiet and smart. “He was quiet, he wasn't scary,” the student said.

On Wednesday, students at the school showed support for Lee with a petition drive to let him back into school.

Disorderly conduct can be filed if someone’s actions alarm or disturb another enough to "provoke a breach of the peace," McHenry County State’s Attorney Louis Bianchi said. "So far, we’re supportive" of the charge, he said.

Lee, who was arrested Tuesday, posted $75 bond.

He is scheduled to appear in court June 18.

The STNG Wire and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

---------------------------------------------------------

Link: http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_116064451.html

1st amendment rights out the window if you write something even remotely violent (or in this case, "disturbing and inappropriate") in class? Because that means that you're going to go on a killing spree?

You'd think that the teacher could have sorted this out the old fashioned way: by talking to her student about his assignment. I guess she just preferred to do it with the student in handcuffs...

Shawarma
26th April 07, 04:59 PM
You always get this kind of thing after such an incident. After it became public knowledge that there were numerous clues to the shooter not being quite well in the head, teachers want to look SUPER AWARE AND ON THE BALL so as not to be accused of negligence. It'll blow over in a month or so.

Steve
26th April 07, 05:04 PM
I hope so.

And you're right. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, after Columbine it was the same thing.

Neildo
26th April 07, 05:07 PM
You always get this kind of thing after such an incident. After it became public knowledge that there were numerous clues to the shooter not being quite well in the head, teachers want to look SUPER AWARE AND ON THE BALL so as not to be accused of negligence. It'll blow over in a month or so.

Rly? I somehow doubt this kind of ignorance and stupidity will ever go away.

Hey, have i mentioned how much i think people suck lately? Well, they do. In large quantities.

MaverickZ
26th April 07, 05:17 PM
You do nothing and you get crucified, you do something and you get crucified.

WarPhalange
26th April 07, 05:22 PM
What a load of shit. That's what school counselors are for.

"You are under arrest!"

"For what!?"

"Uhh... for being angry!!!"

Neildo
26th April 07, 05:39 PM
If being angry is a crime, you guys better call the cops because i am one pissed off motherfucker. srsly.

PizDoff
26th April 07, 05:49 PM
I think this is the reason!

http://imgred.com/http://llnw.img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_116071430/lg

!!!!

Steve
26th April 07, 05:52 PM
If being angry is a crime, you guys better call the cops because i am one pissed off motherfucker. srsly.

PizDoff = funny man

PizDoff ( mailto: ) has reported this post:

http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1230489#post1230489

This is part of this thread:
18yr old arrested for "violent" essay, over-reaction due to VT
shooting?
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46702

This is the reason that the user gave:
Someone call the cops!

Make you feel any better, Neildo?

Stick
26th April 07, 05:57 PM
Allen W. Lee, a student at Cary-Grove High School in Cary, was charged with disorderly conduct stemming from an essay that was part of a "free writing" assignment in a creative writing class.

Hey, Dagon, when it comes time to teach such literary devices, I do believe this qualifies as "irony".

God I hate creative writing teachers, mine in college butchered my story about a training accident fatality in MMA that turned out to be a dream dreamt as result of a training KO in MMA- it makes way more sense than it sounds like it does, and what she made me do to it was criminal.

Truculent Sheep
26th April 07, 05:59 PM
Anyone for some stable door bolting? Similar horseshit took place after Columbine, when trenchcoats were banned.

Question!
26th April 07, 06:13 PM
Irresponsible Bullshit Panic Attack!

Thaiboxerken
26th April 07, 06:19 PM
Pizdoff is right, it's because he's asian! We can't trust dem damned asian!

Thinkchair
26th April 07, 06:26 PM
You do nothing and you get crucified, you do something and you get crucified.

I understand that schools and police departments are under increased pressure to protect students, but this is clearly an overreaction. Of course people are going to be extra vigilant after something like the VT shooting, but that is not an excuse to be stupid. In my view cops are not suited to critical analysis anyways, better that they spend their time patrolling the schools than reading the kid's papers.

Thinkchair
26th April 07, 06:27 PM
Pizdoff is right, it's because he's asian! We can't trust dem damned asian!

I would say that is why they were so alarmed by his paper. Have to love over reactions.

WarPhalange
26th April 07, 06:36 PM
It's a good thing he didn't bring a Lite Bright to school. He would have been shot on sight.

Kein Haar
26th April 07, 07:19 PM
I wasn't arrested, but a first year teacher went ape shit in high school after we had the following exchange in writing:

"If you were a German, how would you feel after the Treaty of Versailles?"

"I would beat my wife."

Well???

Sun Wukong
26th April 07, 09:06 PM
Nothing more that I can really add that hasn't already been said, so I'll just say: God damn it. Arrested for writing a fucking essay...

that's all this kind of shit causes. If these dumb fuck kids only knew what the actual fallout would be, they'd just shoot themselves first and get it over with all at once. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

You just can't fix stupid people with a stupid solution.

IronRanger
26th April 07, 10:49 PM
If writing out imaginary thoughts were a crime, a very popular mass-printed author would've been lethally injected years ago. It's a sort of mass hysteria when he publishes...an author known as Stephen King.

He's a sick twist, but I'll laugh like a banshee at 3 am. Fuck the neighbors. Let 'em call the cops for violent eruptions of hysteria.

DerAuslander108
26th April 07, 11:17 PM
Cho's writings are part of an overall picture of issues that he had, and it wasn't just one statement in an essay.

This kid makes one wisecrack (definitely a stupid one after VTech, if I was his dad, I'd beat him), and they jump on him.

And yeah, I think it's cuz he's Asian.

Matsufubu
27th April 07, 06:38 AM
Shit, let's arrest every child in every school and send them to Guantanamo Bay on terrorism charges. If this kid's getting arrested for that, then most of the people I knew at school should have been locked away for life.

emboesso
27th April 07, 07:14 AM
Maybe they should look into Virginia Tech's poet in residence Nikki Giovanni, who had Cho in her poetry workshop. She tried to get him removed from her class because he was "mean," but her words of love seem to bear some resemblance to his.

http://www.boomantribune.com/?op=displaystory;sid=2007/4/18/233457/556

Nigger
Can you kill
Can you kill
Can a nigger kill
Can a nigger kill a honkie
Can a nigger kill the Man
Can you kill nigger
Huh? nigger can you
kill
Do you know how to draw blood
Can you poison
Can you stab-a-Jew
Can you kill huh? nigger
Can you kill
Can you run a protestant down with your
'68 El Dorado
(that's all they're good for anyway)
Can you kill
Can you piss on a blond head
Can you cut it off
Can you kill
A nigger can die
We ain't got to prove we can die
We got to prove we can kill

mrblackmagic
27th April 07, 08:39 AM
"At the very last sentence, I said that this teacher's method of teaching could lead to a school shooting," Lee said Wednesday. He said he'd intended the entire essay as a joke.

Yes, it's because he's asian. It's also because he's a dumbass for pulling this after VT.

Kiko
27th April 07, 08:48 AM
/\ Very valid point about the 'too soon' or even at all factor.

Since when can creative writing be 'taught' anyhow? Hell, teach them how to write and they'll create on their own.

Truculent Sheep
27th April 07, 09:34 AM
Since when can creative writing be 'taught' anyhow? Hell, teach them how to write and they'll create on their own.

CW can help refine and develop a talent, but on the other hand, it can screw it over by imposing too many conventions. It also brings unrealistic expectations: just because you've got a BA in creative writing, that doesn't make you a writer. Apparently the best way to do that is to either serve time as a journalist or work all sorts of really odd jobs.

Kiko
27th April 07, 09:37 AM
That's mostly what I meant. How many teachers are good writers, let alone able to teach others how to write creatively and then to grade such assignments?

I always froze up when given a blank canvas in school, but later on when the grades/judgements were gone, found writing rather enjoyable.

WarPhalange
27th April 07, 11:17 AM
A friend of mine took some sort of poetry class. He claimed to have poured his soul into this poem he wrote. He got a C. I guess the poem just wasn't good enough for the teacher, the Master Poet of the Universe.

Commodore Pipes
27th April 07, 11:24 AM
This kid makes one wisecrack (definitely a stupid one after VTech, if I was his dad, I'd beat him), and they jump on him.

If the kid's korean, the dad probably already does. I wonder if this will affect his grade point average. Because then he is in for a beating for sure.

And now, a dancing chewbaca:
:chewy:

DerAuslander108
27th April 07, 12:09 PM
Yes, it's because he's asian. It's also because he's a dumbass for pulling this after VT.

I hope his family has integrated into American culture enough to understand that they need to have a very American response to this situation...

AND SUE THE FUCK OUT OF EVERYBODY.

DerAuslander108
27th April 07, 12:10 PM
If the kid's korean, the dad probably already does. I wonder if this will affect his grade point average. Because then he is in for a beating for sure.

And now, a dancing chewbaca:
:chewy:

Irony of ironies...my best friend is named Albert Lee.

mrblackmagic
27th April 07, 12:12 PM
I didn't think about that before, but that would hold in court.

DerAuslander108
27th April 07, 02:19 PM
I didn't think about that before, but that would hold in court.

What will?

mrblackmagic
27th April 07, 03:14 PM
The parents suing for a blatant racism.

T3hJudoChop
27th April 07, 03:42 PM
That's mostly what I meant. How many teachers are good writers, let alone able to teach others how to write creatively and then to grade such assignments?

I always froze up when given a blank canvas in school, but later on when the grades/judgements were gone, found writing rather enjoyable.

Quite a few accomplished writers end up teaching, especially poets, because poetry pays diddly squat. Nikki Giovanni at Virginia Tech is a pretty accomplished poet in her own right. Creative writing is a craft as much as it is art and the feedback received at CW classes is a valuable tool to anyone interested in refining their skills. It really is more about teaching you how to write well...at least ideally. Some teachers like to impose their own ideas on what is and isn't good writing.

Dagon Akujin
28th April 07, 12:39 PM
Hey, Dagon, when it comes time to teach such literary devices, I do believe this qualifies as "irony".

It gets even better. This now qualifies as an Alanis Morissette song. Here is the assignment (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_117092318.html):

A copy of the assignment obtained Thursday night included the following guidelines for a “free writing” exercise:

• “Write nonstop for a set period of time.”

• “Do not make corrections as you write.”

• “Keep writing, even if you have to write something like, ‘I don’t know what to write.’ ”

• “Write whatever comes into your mind.”

• “Do not judge or censor what you are writing.”

The assignment included additional guidelines such as, “If your free writing is neat and coherent, you probably haven’t loosened up enough.”

Dagon

MaverickZ
28th April 07, 12:44 PM
I had to take a "writing intensive" class to graduate. As an engineer, my senior design project qualified. In my portion of it, the aerodynamic, I had more mathematical symbols in there than actual words and sentences. No wonder I can't fucking write to save my life.

DerAuslander108
28th April 07, 01:50 PM
Or dance.

WarPhalange
28th April 07, 02:12 PM
It gets even better. This now qualifies as an Alanis Morissette song. Here is the assignment (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/local_story_117092318.html):

Dagon

It's sounds like an exercise in schizophrenia more than anything.

ICY
28th April 07, 05:23 PM
I wrote a story about a school shooting after Columbine, but I thought about it before I ever saw it on TV. The vice-pricipal pulled me aside, asked me if I'd thought about carrying out anything like what I wrote, I said no. Then he asked about the nature of the assignment and why I wrote about that and I said I was bored and it came to mind. Then he said it probably wasn't a good idea to write stuff like that anymore for school.

That was it.

Later, I threatened to shoot a guy at school and had to talk to the cops, he had threatened to "kill me" and I said "Ok, well then I'll have to shoot you first, fuck off" and I had to just leave for a week because people were looking to stomp me. Later that year I started the gay bashing club and openly promoting Fascism at school. The adminstration hated me, just wanted me to leave, but I never DID anything, I just trolled real life, so they couldn't. I drank at every opportunity that year, what a shitty 12 months that was.

Kein Haar
30th April 07, 07:06 AM
I wrote a story...

I would love to read it!

DAYoung
30th April 07, 07:38 AM
Some teachers like to impose their own ideas on what is and isn't good writing.

And let's be thankful that they do.