PDA

View Full Version : Review: "Idiocracy"

billy sol hurok
17th April 07, 04:09 PM
Idiocracy (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/), written and directed by Mike Judge.

Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph are placed in suspended animation (chosen for their mediocrity and availability, respectively) as part of a military experiment.

They awaken hundreds of years in the future, when the dumbing-down of America has reached catastrophic proportions. Here's the setup:

fAYnc_-ddlw

Mike Judge is just the man to paint this stoopit future dystopia; he KNOWS stupid. The performances are just fine; it really doesn't matter all that much anyway, as the plot is just an excuse to present excrutiatingly funny bits. (I won't ruin any of them for you, but if this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=BSDRNc-SLos&mode=related&search=) doesn't make you laugh, then you shouldn't rent the movie.)

I have no idea why this was dumped straight to video. It had flown completely under my radar until I read that there was another Mike Judge movie floating around. It isn't Office Space -- this is much more gag-oriented, and the satire more broadly deployed. But the gags are often hilarious, and the plotline mostly stays out of the way (as it should).

Part Sleeper, part Gulliver's Travels, part Beavis & Butthead. Well worth a rental. Hell, I keep laughing so hard while rewatching the clips up on youtube, I might have to buy this fucker.

Neildo
17th April 07, 04:13 PM
Mike Judge? I'm psyched. Office Space is a classic for the ages.

edit: Whoever edited that clip cut it at the worst spot. Mid-sentance? Die plz.

Teh El Macho
17th April 07, 06:12 PM
I gotta buy this movie and add it to my movie gems collection!!!!

Airman Kai
17th April 07, 08:30 PM
A fine movie by any standard, well worth a rent or even purchase.

vinhthekid
17th April 07, 08:58 PM
yeah, i loved it. it was hilarious and sadly enough hella true in a lot of ways.

Marrt
17th April 07, 09:25 PM
yeah, i loved it. it was hilarious and sadly enough hella true in a lot of ways.

Exactly, the "ooooh, my balls" - how is that not just Jackass at its ultimate evolution point.

Steve
18th April 07, 12:38 AM
I forgot about this film (and I was looking forward to it too). Did it even make it into the theaters?

BTW: just ordered it, can't wait.

DAYoung
18th April 07, 05:06 AM
This looks like the best film ever.

YES. BETTER THAN DUMB AND DUMBER.

billy sol hurok
18th April 07, 05:39 AM
YES. BETTER THAN DUMB AND DUMBER.
I'd say so. And I laugh at much of the Farrelly Broz' stuff, despite myself. Which I suppose is the hallmark of good slapstick.

But this is satire, and like all really good satire, it remains in your head after the fact, poisoning the real-life things that it has skewered. I am now unable to see any of the Jackass crew without giggling like a moron. And the next time I go to a Costco, I'm sure to get some funny looks from the greeter.

NB -- Be sure to watch the deleted scenes. I actually woke my everlovin' wife up this morning snickering about one of them.

Neildo
18th April 07, 10:19 AM
MUST. HAVE.

Airman Kai
18th April 07, 01:21 PM
BTW: just ordered it, can't wait.

Once again, I must stress how very WORTH IT this movie is.