PDA

View Full Version : Grindhouse review

Osiris
14th April 07, 03:06 PM
Planet Terror

Rocket jumping. Enough said. 10/10

Deathproof

Deathproof is fucking awesome. Follows a duel between stunt drivers. Its very much a Tarantino film, so expect much talk of foot massages, much staring at feet and a bunch of other random shit. But man, when the action gets going, its top notch. One of the best car chases I've ever seen. Now, unfortunately, the soundtrack isn't particularly good, especially in comparison to Planet Terror, but it doesn't hurt the film. I give this one a 9/10. Him and Rodriguez should've used the same theme.

Fake trailers

The fake trailers are awesome. Machete especially. Also fun were Thanksgiving and Don't. The trailers promoted crazy ass films in the same style that I certainly wish were real. Best part of the movie really. 11/10

Iscariot
14th April 07, 03:15 PM
We don't get this for another couple of weeks, so I'm only running on what I've heard.

Do you think it would be better to watch them as intended back to back in the current release format? Or in the newly proposed individual film way? The execs have noticed that the release hasn't taken the box office by storm in the way a release with Rodriguez and Tarantino should and are considering releasing them individually. The reasoning is that the low reciepts are caused by the (US) audience 'not getting' the idea of it being two films back to back and that's what's causing the low turnout.

Comments from someone who's watched it?

Osiris
14th April 07, 03:30 PM
Back to back is great. Two movies for the price of one. Thats what I call a good deal. The shit flopped because they released a three+ hour movie called "Grindhouse" on fucking easter. Way to go. Grandma is gonna love that.

Question!
14th April 07, 03:37 PM
I heard that they may split up the movies for international release in the near future.

I didn't really enjoy Death Proof, way too much pointless dialogue and the car chase scene was not that good.

Planet Terror rocked my face off.

Steve
14th April 07, 03:41 PM
Planning to see it either today or tomorrow, hopefully for free (gots me a friend on teh inside.)

Trying to not take to many of the good reviews I've heard to heart. I've had too many movies ruined when they were blown out of proportion in my head before I saw them.

Not that I've ever seen a film by those guys that I didn't like...

Osiris
14th April 07, 03:49 PM
I didn't really enjoy Death Proof, way too much pointless dialogue and the car chase scene was not that good.

A. You knew it was Tarantino. What'd you expect?
B. Dude, the car chase fucking rocked. No CGI, real stunts? You don't get that shit nowadays.

Iscariot
14th April 07, 03:53 PM
Not that I've ever seen a film by those guys that I didn't like...
You liked Spy Kids? Or Jackie Brown for that matter?

Steve
14th April 07, 04:01 PM
You liked Spy Kids? Or Jackie Brown for that matter?

I said movies of theirs that I've seen. You watched those, lol!

Question!
14th April 07, 04:42 PM
I liked the car chase from the Bourne Supremacy a lot more.

Stick
14th April 07, 04:58 PM
Good god was this a great time at the movies.

Debating whether to make my own thread or just put it in here.

/ponders

Iscariot
14th April 07, 05:00 PM
I said movies of theirs that I've seen. You watched those, lol!
I haven't seen Spy Kids. Jackie Brown was awful though.

Osiris
14th April 07, 05:30 PM
I liked the car chase from the Bourne Supremacy a lot more.

YUCK.

billy sol hurok
14th April 07, 06:20 PM
We don't get this for another couple of weeks, so I'm only running on what I've heard.

Do you think it would be better to watch them as intended back to back in the current release format? Or in the newly proposed individual film way? The execs have noticed that the release hasn't taken the box office by storm in the way a release with Rodriguez and Tarantino should and are considering releasing them individually. The reasoning is that the low reciepts are caused by the (US) audience 'not getting' the idea of it being two films back to back and that's what's causing the low turnout.

Comments from someone who's watched it?
I'm glad I got to see the two together, for the same price. But then again, I have a longer attention span than a fucking fruitfly.

The two films don't need each other, per se (though there are a couple cross-references). Paying for either one alone, though, might leave me feeling a bit shorted.

"Planet Terror" was like a very faithful cover of a cheesy drive-in flick, only with gazillions more dollars. Those dollars were well spent. Very funny, with some state-of-the-art gore.

"Death Proof" was, as you might expect from QT, more of a remix of a Russ Meyer flick, only with gazillions more brain cells. Which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your POV. I thought the car chase was not technically up to snuff, though the stunting was quite good and the cars were gorgeous. The actresses made up for all that, in my book. Just smashing.

But then, I liked "Jackie Brown," so factor that in.

Question!
14th April 07, 07:35 PM
The issue I have with Death Proof was not the severe amount of dialogue (which if it's interesting, is well worth it) or that it was pointless (see previous) but because it was boring and uninteresting.

Steve
15th April 07, 01:53 AM
I saw it today, was good. Due to traffic I missed all of the trailers for Planet Terror (that really sucked).

I liked Planet Terror a lot more than Death Proof but like everyone's said, they are quite different films.

Maybe if they showed Death Proof first, I may have liked it more. Having the slow build up to Planet Terror would have worked better for me.

Osiris
15th April 07, 02:26 AM
I agree. Deat Proof should've come first. It was awesome, no doubt, but you may as well save the carnage for the end.

Fearless Ukemi
19th April 07, 01:32 PM
I agree with Villian. Deathproof was great. I usually groan at the sight of Kurt Russell, but he was fucking awesome in this. Best role since Jack Burton. (Fuck Snake Pliskin)

Neildo
19th April 07, 01:51 PM
You suck. Escape from NY ownz.

JimmyTheHutt
19th April 07, 02:52 PM
You suck. Escape from NY ownz.

QFT.

However, Jack Burton is a kick ass character.

Just not as cool as Snake.

Veritas Et Lux!
Jiimmy The Hutt

Zendetta
19th April 07, 07:47 PM
"Like I tell my ex-wife, its all in the reflexes."

Slydermv
23rd April 07, 03:08 PM
I liked Deathproof better actually.

Commodore Pipes
25th April 07, 10:32 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Jackie Brown is a great movie. Thank you.

mrblackmagic
25th April 07, 10:45 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Jackie Brown is a great movie. Thank you.
Why do you hate America?

I kid. The worst QT movie is still better than 99% of the shit being put out these days.

Commodore Pipes
25th April 07, 10:57 AM
Jeez, why is it bad? Because it is based on characters' relationships with each other instead of oblique cinema tricks and references?

Shawarma
25th April 07, 11:06 AM
It is bad because it is dull and suckassy without being deep or having any redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Should also be mentioned: Kill Bill part 2. Massive suck, except for the 10 minutes or so with White Eyebrows in them.

Neildo
25th April 07, 11:11 AM
DeNiro doing bong hits with whats-er-face, only to plug her dumb ass later in the parking lot, that's good stuff right there. y'all r h8rz.

Fearless Ukemi
25th April 07, 04:30 PM
Jackie Brown > Escape from NY

Yeah, I said it.

Neildo
25th April 07, 04:45 PM
Y u gotta hate. Stop drinkin the hateorade my man.

Osiris
25th April 07, 05:46 PM
Should also be mentioned: Kill Bill part 2. Massive suck, except for the 10 minutes or so with White Eyebrows in them.

Um, no. It was pretty fucking cool throughout. Much better than 1.

WarPhalange
25th April 07, 09:13 PM
The ending was horrible. "I hit you 5 times. Now you HAVE TO walk over there and die. You can't like, call 911 and live in a wheelchair for the rest of your life or anyth-- oh, you're dead? I'll just lie down next to my daughter, then."

Osiris
25th April 07, 09:58 PM
Dude, that was fucking awesome.

Commodore Pipes
26th April 07, 08:27 AM
Um, no. It was pretty fucking cool throughout. Much better than 1.

Yes.

Yiktin Voxbane
2nd May 07, 10:28 AM
The ending was horrible. "I hit you 5 times. Now you HAVE TO walk over there and die. You can't like, call 911 and live in a wheelchair for the rest of your life or anyth-- oh, you're dead? I'll just lie down next to my daughter, then."

I'd love to see some more reveiws in the same vein ......

[Picard] Make it so [/Pickard]

KhorneliusPraxx
2nd May 07, 01:26 PM
The only complaint I could come up with is that Planet Terror was a bit too long.
I guess I could also say that Rob Zombie's trailer was semi-retarded but I guess it was supposed to be. :-)

As a whole, I loved it. Death Proof was, by far, the best part!

Zendetta
2nd May 07, 03:56 PM
Grindhouse is now playing at my local grindhouse, that also has couches, beer and pizza. I'm gonna take some drugs and go see it again this weekend.

KhorneliusPraxx
2nd May 07, 08:09 PM
Grindhouse is now playing at my local grindhouse, that also has couches, beer and pizza. I'm gonna take some drugs and go see it again this weekend.
cool...try it without the drugs though.

Steve
2nd May 07, 09:37 PM
He's seen it once already, hence the "again" in his post.

But I agree that kids should stay in school.

Osiris
3rd May 07, 06:40 AM
cool...try it without the drugs though.

Drugs make movies awesome. When you've got motherfuckers shooting into the audience and what not, thats cool shit.

Zendetta
3rd May 07, 03:55 PM
Drugs make movies awesome.

The Villain has taken a customized muscle car full of zombies and crashed it headlong into teh correct.