PDA

View Full Version : Rest in peace Kurt Vonnegut Jr. 4/11/2007

Sirc
12th April 07, 02:15 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/books/11...onnegut.html?hp (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/11/books/11cnd-vonnegut.html?hp)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/10/arts/11vonnegut-600.jpg

Just a quick excerpt:

His death was reported by Morgan Entrekin, a longtime family friend, who said Mr. Vonnegut suffered brain injuries as a result of a fall several weeks ago.

Mr. Vonnegut wrote plays, essays and short fiction. But it was his novels that became classics of the American counterculture, making him a literary idol, particularly to students in the 1960s and 70s. Dog-eared paperback copies of his books could be found in the back pockets of blue jeans and in dorm rooms on campuses throughout the United States.

How freaking ironic that head trauma would be the way he'd go, what with how great of a writer he was. I was just reading Slaughter House Five the other day too. :(

This is terrible. Goodbye my Kilgore Trout.

Commodore Pipes
12th April 07, 02:47 PM
I love Kurt Vonnegut. He always had so much more class, dignity, and insight than his imitators.

Zendetta
12th April 07, 03:32 PM
Saw him speak live once. An awesome man.

Neildo
12th April 07, 04:39 PM
Dang. I guess i better read slaughterhouse now, considering how long it's been in my bookshelf.

frumpleswift
12th April 07, 05:03 PM
All of my favorite authors are dead or dying. I'm down to Clarke, Martin, and Stephenson. Clarke is about 3,000 years old, and Martin weighs that much. At least Stephenson is hale and hardy.

Vonnegut was awesome. I think I need to reread Galagapos in his memory.

Sirc
12th April 07, 08:33 PM
Gonna reread The Cat's Cradle starting tonight in his memory.

WarPhalange
12th April 07, 08:46 PM
Slaughterhouse Five was the only book that I was forced to read in highschool that I actually enjoyed. Quite a lot, too.

T3hJudoChop
12th April 07, 08:56 PM
R.I.P.

frumpleswift
12th April 07, 09:02 PM
Slaughterhouse Five was the only book that I was forced to read in highschool that I actually enjoyed. Quite a lot, too.

Hate me for this, but I actually enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea.

I never had to read Slaughterhouse 5, and I didn't read it until after reading many other Vonnegut books. I think Bluebeard is actually my favorite.

Shawarma
13th April 07, 04:02 AM
I have no idea who the fuck this man was. Perhaps not well-known outside of Yankland.

DAYoung
13th April 07, 05:38 AM
Shawarma, you're making the bricks bleed.

That's like saying: "Hemingway...Hemingway...hmmm...nope, not ringing any bells. Was he a local American writer?"

I read Vonnegut's essays recently - insightful, vivid, and bloody funny.

nastyned
13th April 07, 06:17 AM
Kurt Vonnegut dead...so it goes :-(

Shawarma
13th April 07, 07:28 AM
Wasn't he the guy that wrote the script for "Friends?"

mrblackmagic
13th April 07, 07:41 AM
Sorry to hear that. I guess we'll never know if he was the voice of "everyone's free to wear sunblock."

Commodore Pipes
13th April 07, 07:55 AM
Since we're naming favorites, Mother Night blew my freaking gourd.

nastyned
13th April 07, 08:42 AM
Sorry to hear that. I guess we'll never know if he was the voice of "everyone's free to wear sunblock."

It wasn't him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_sunscreen

Scrapper
13th April 07, 09:31 AM
I have always been a "Welcome to the Monkey House" guy.

Harrison Bergeron remains one of my favorite yarns.

T3hJudoChop
13th April 07, 09:42 AM
I have always been a "Welcome to the Monkey House" guy.

Harrison Bergeron remains one of my favorite yarns.

The TV movie of HB is probably my favorite Vonnegut story to movie I've seen. Mother Night is a close second though.

WarPhalange
13th April 07, 01:07 PM
Someone neg rep shawarma twice. I accidentally gave him + rep. :(

Steve
13th April 07, 01:45 PM
Dang. I guess i better read slaughterhouse now, considering how long it's been in my bookshelf.

Yeah, I should do that too.

The movie is one of my favorite films of all time.

Sirc
13th April 07, 02:13 PM
I have no idea who the fuck this man was. Perhaps not well-known outside of Yankland.

Holy fuck, end yourself now.

Sirc
13th April 07, 02:15 PM
Someone neg rep shawarma twice. I accidentally gave him + rep. :(

I just -repped him once.