PDA

View Full Version : Defrag in safe mode?

polishillusion
9th April 07, 08:59 PM
A good friend of mine is telling me that defragging and running spyware catchers is better in safe mode, but my lap top craps out every time i try doing it in safe mode. should i be concerned about it?

WarPhalange
9th April 07, 10:55 PM
I've found that things run slower in safe mode. So maybe it's not crapping out, just taking a really long time to do it. I remember it took me a few hours to run spybot and an anti-virus once. I didn't even try defragging.

Neildo
10th April 07, 12:02 AM
define: craps out

WarPhalange
10th April 07, 12:30 AM
It's the polar opposite of craps in.

Cormoran
10th April 07, 07:37 AM
I once had to install world of warcraft in safemode, 1 day install. Damn i gotta get a new computer...

I dunno about better, spyware and antivirus probably because it might catch all the stuff that might otherwise be difficult to get rid of because of how it embeds itself into your startup.

Defrag usually because when its not in safe mode windows defrag keeps fucking restarting again and again and again, if it doesn't do that then no real need to defrag in safemode.

PizDoff
11th April 07, 12:12 PM
I've found that things run slower in safe mode. So maybe it's not crapping out, just taking a really long time to do it. I remember it took me a few hours to run spybot and an anti-virus once. I didn't even try defragging.

I hope you didn't run them at the same time. Two programs trying to scan your hard drive will take much more computer resources and slow both operations.

I normally disk cleanup, scan with Ad-Aware, Spybot (will be switching away from that glitchy program soon) then defrag.

WarPhalange
11th April 07, 12:25 PM
I hope you didn't run them at the same time. Two programs trying to scan your hard drive will take much more computer resources and slow both operations.

Duh.