PDA

View Full Version : Connecting wirelessly with my Wii: WiFiMAX

Steve
2nd April 07, 05:20 PM
So as some of you might know, my birthday was last month and I decided to break down and buy myself a Wii. I couldn't find it anywhere of course, so I went to good old eBay to hunt for a good deal.

I'm considering myself lucky in that I found a Wii that's auction was just ending up, it was for an brand new Wii and a brand new copy of Red Steel (a game that I've been wanting to play for ages). I ended up paying $410 for the whole package (but didn't have to pay WA state's ungodly sales tax of 8.8%) so it came down to me paying around $80 bucks more than if I had bought it here (if I included the sales tax).

http://imgred.com/http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8148/8148471_sa.jpg (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8148471&st=WiFi&type=product&id=1161732977818)Alright, enough back story. I picked up the WiFiMAX at Best Buy ($39.99) the weekend before my Wii arrived. I don't have a wireless connection at home so I thought that this would be an easy way for me to get my Wii online. It came with an installation disk and the WiFiMAX just plugs into a USB port to create an access point.

Well, I spent about 4 days trying to get my Wii to access the web with NO result. After I had messed around with all the different settings that I could think of all I would get for my work is that the Wii could tell that their was an access point but it wouldn't connect no matter how hard it tried. I kept at it tho, and continued to get more and more frustrated...

By Thursday night of last week I had decided to give up. Hell, I had spent more time trying to get the damn thing set up than I had played my Wii! I decided to uninstall all the WiFiMAX software and do a system restore to get rid of any residual things that were stuck on my computer (even with the software uninstalled my computer wouldn't even access the net at this point, it some how got locked into thinking that it was on a wireless network, even tho I had everything set up like I used to have. Wired).

Now I've used the restore program a few times before when I've had problems with bugs getting in and other random crap, so I didn't have any worries clicking the 'OK' button to start the restore...

The screen went blank. I wait a few minutes, nothing. I turn off my computer manually and restart. Nothing, again. I tried it a few more times... nothing.

Turns out my motherboard got fried and now my computer is dead!!! :( Fortunately, I've got my old PII still. I'll still be able to get online when I'm at home but I can't even view YouTube vids, IT'S SO FRIGGIN SLOW!!! *cries*

Needless to say, I AM VERY UNSATISFIED WITH THIS PRODUCT. I'm taking it back to Best Buy today, stupid piece of crap.

I give this product 0 out of 5, absolute shit. Anyone else try one of these things?

polishillusion
2nd April 07, 05:41 PM
It is not a official Nintendo product. Wii goes online directly, doesn't it? The wireless is built in, methinks. You can steal a neighbors for FREE :)

Also, it works on phone and cable wire, so you should be all good.

ojgsxr6
2nd April 07, 05:46 PM
For about $10 more you could have gotten a Wireless access point for you non wireless router or a wireless router.

Steve
2nd April 07, 05:51 PM
It is not a official Nintendo product. Wii goes online directly, doesn't it? The wireless is built in, methinks. You can steal a neighbors for FREE :)

The Wii is wireless but I don't have a wireless network. It's not at all about whether the Wii could sense a connection, it just couldn't access the net through my access point. I also saw that WiFiMAX isn't a licensed product from Nintendo but I considered myself lucky when I was in Best Buy and that was literally THE ONLY Wii accessory there (and only one left at that, no wiimotes or anything else to be found).

And yes, it would see others connections in the building but they are all locked and I don't want to steal someone's internet when I have my own.

Also, it works on phone and cable wire, so you should be all good.

Yet again, you need to buy a separate adapter (like the Wii Lan (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=5QNZE23QICGIVKC4D3HFAGI?sku Id=8193466&st=Wii+Lan&type=product&id=1164157285316), for instance) to connect with a wired connection. And they're all sold out right now, sucks.

Steve
2nd April 07, 05:53 PM
For about $10 more you could have gotten a Wireless access point for you non wireless router or a wireless router.

A friend of mine actually gave me a wireless router to try out but didn't have any of the software to go with it. I tried resetting it and updating the hardware, no luck.

I'm considering exchanging the WiFiMAX for a new wireless router (with installation software, of course) when I go in to Best Buy today.

Steve
2nd April 07, 09:17 PM
Okay, I broke down and ordered the Wii Lan so I can connect directly.

It'd better work...

Neildo
2nd April 07, 10:38 PM
I can totally empathise with your useage of shitty computer situation.

edit: i'm not sure i follow. you had a wireless router conected to your network when you started this, right? i'm assuming you need one to make this work.
please note: i'm really stoned right now. i'm also playing a game on my GC so i'm distracted.

Steve
2nd April 07, 10:51 PM
I can totally empathise with your useage of shitty computer situation.

edit: i'm not sure i follow. you had a wireless router conected to your network when you started this, right? i'm assuming you need one to make this work.

Yeah, I knew you'd know what I was going through! :)

Naw, my friend gave me a wireless router with no software (he said he would give it to me before I got the WiFiMAX) once he found out I was getting a Wii. It was my second option for getting online but it wouldn't reset properly so I couldn't update it for use. It's a paper weight I don't need at this point.

The Wii Lan has my hopes up again.

Seriously, tho. Thursday night, I wished I had some weed. I WAS SO FUCKING PISSED THAT MY COMPUTER DIED. Now I'm looking at the situation as a chance to upgrade my computer.

Neildo
2nd April 07, 11:06 PM
oh okay i get it now. that thing is like a pseudo-router, with a 'wireless' transmitter and then the thing you plug into the wii, yeah? i can see why some third party thing like that wouldn't work.

straight LAN cable is a much better idea.

Steve
2nd April 07, 11:13 PM
oh okay i get it now. that thing is like a pseudo-router, with a 'wireless' transmitter and then the thing you plug into the wii, yeah? i can see why some third party thing like that wouldn't work.

Not quite, the WiFiMAX makes my wired computer 'wireless' since the Wii is automatically wireless (it's like how the Wiimotes work, follows the same wireless system). So there is no plugging into the Wii with that shit product.

straight LAN cable is a much better idea.

Yup! *crosses fingers*

kobudo
5th April 07, 06:57 AM
Nintendo makes a similar product. My brother bought one and had similar results. Those things are all crap. Just get the wireless router. I'm partial to DLink's routers, myself.

Neildo
5th April 07, 10:52 AM
I have a linksys g-router. works good.

Steve
5th April 07, 02:08 PM
I'm looking forward to my LAN, it should get here tomorrow.

Since it will be wired directly, should be a bit faster downloading as well.

While I wait, I'll be playing Wario Ware and Trauma Center (TC rocks!). Also, bought the last nunchuck at EB last night, pure luck on that one!!

Trauma Center video (I did this mission last night, not my video tho. It's from the first chapter of the game):

XIBcmOVhf2M

Steve
6th April 07, 08:35 PM
The Wii LAN worked!!

I'm making this post via my Wii. It will more than likely be my last post from it too. Pretty tedious work...

But hot damn, I'm online!