PDA

View Full Version : Black Donnellys

MacWombat
1st April 07, 10:58 PM
Is anybody watching this show? I think it's fucking terrific especially for network TV. But there is buzz about it getting canceled. If anybody else is watching it out there here's a petition to save it http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/Donnellys . If you're not watching it, all the episodes are free on NBC.com and I'd recommend it. Other shows I watch/ have watched (so you don't think I'm a Grey's Anatomy fan) are LOST, 24, OZ, Deadwood, The Shield, and Rescue Me.

Thanks.

Stick
2nd April 07, 01:13 AM
Really, there's already talk of it being canceled?

Well shit.

Yeah, I second the wombat, it's a good show. Hop on over to NBC and give it a shot.

OZZ
2nd April 07, 10:43 AM
I watched one episode and thought it was pretty good. Any series that comes out which deals with organized crime families wil inevitably be compared with The Sopranos..
I would like to see it stay on the air.

JimmyTheHutt
2nd April 07, 11:14 AM
Fuck that show. It bumped Studio 60 off the air.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

DJR
2nd April 07, 09:24 PM
I like some of the same shows as the OP, but I've been kind of disappointed with this one. Could be that it was overhyped, and I was expecting something 'Sopranos'-level in terms of scriptwriting. It doesn't seem to have that kind of depth and originality.

KickinKenny
6th April 07, 12:41 PM
I think it's unfortunate that it is being compared to The Sopranos cause it's really about a different subject. I think BD is more about the coming of age of one of the brothers and how his basic issues will force him into the role of the unlikely boss.

It's one of the better shows on tv but I think it might be hurt by the fact that everything around it is a rerun. If Heroes were still giving it a lead in I doubt that there would be very much in the way of cancellation rumors.

Osiris
6th April 07, 11:30 PM
Two hour deal or no deal is the shittiest lead in ever.

mrblackmagic
7th April 07, 08:56 AM
Fuck that show. It bumped Studio 60 off the air.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Wasn't there season over any way?

Stick
9th April 07, 07:47 PM
Studio 60 lost nothing, it's season was over, and from what I've heard they're coming back next season, The Black Donnelly's however will not be back. (http://tv.ign.com/articles/777/777924p1.html)

NBC is pulling their new family/crime drama The Black Donnellys after April 16th, at which point it will have aired 8 of its initial 13 episodes. The series will be replaced in the post-Heroes Monday night, 10:00 pm (ET/PT) timeslot by the new reality series The Real Wedding Crashers, which begins April 23rd.

Way to go NBC, replacing a great scripted rama with more craptacular reality tv tripe! I knew you would let me down.

JimmyTheHutt
11th April 07, 02:28 PM
Studio 60 lost nothing, it's season was over, and from what I've heard they're coming back next season, The Black Donnelly's however will not be back. (http://tv.ign.com/articles/777/777924p1.html)

Way to go NBC, replacing a great scripted rama with more craptacular reality tv tripe! I knew you would let me down.

From what I understand, Studio 60 was pulled before the end of its season to make room for The Black Donnelys. There are more episodes left to show. I doubt we will get to see them, except when the DVD set comes out.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

mrblackmagic
12th April 07, 08:59 AM
From what I understand, Studio 60 was pulled before the end of its season to make room for The Black Donnelys. There are more episodes left to show. I doubt we will get to see them, except when the DVD set comes out.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

I could see that. The Donnelys came hot on the heels of The Departed's Oscar hype. NBC was trying to snatch some of it.

KickinKenny
18th April 07, 01:20 PM
I hate that network tv won't leave their shows alone long enough for them to develope. It seems like if a show doesn't get phenominal ratings in the first week it gets taken off the air.

JimmyTheHutt
18th April 07, 01:59 PM
I hate that network tv won't leave their shows alone long enough for them to develope. It seems like if a show doesn't get phenominal ratings in the first week it gets taken off the air.

The problem is that the current business model for Network TV is a losing proposition. The revenue stream from program advertising is easily bypassed by viewers via several methods. The result is that it becomes highly important to extract as much revenue per show in as short a time as possible. Therefore, there is considerable pressure on shows to generate as much hype and draw as much advertising as fast as possible. Networks no longer have the luxury of allowing shows to develop.

This means that Aaron Sorkin and Joss Whedon are doomed unless they move to other media.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Sirc
19th April 07, 05:27 AM
Studio 60 sucked balls.

I love the Black Donnellys.

JimmyTheHutt
19th April 07, 10:35 AM
Studio 60 sucked balls.

I love the Black Donnellys.

I guess neither of us get what we want.

Veritas et Lux!