PDA

View Full Version : 300 versus Troy

Iscariot
27th March 07, 01:47 PM
This came up in my review of 300. Which is better? Therefore I've decided to put it to the test with comparative scoring, to finally decide which is the better film.

Round 1: Historical Accuracy
Failure on both counts, and acknowledged by both films.
300: 0, Troy: 0

Round 2: Directors
Snyder made Bud commercials, Petersen made Das Boot.
300: 0, Troy: 1

Round 3: Eye Candy
300 has Lena Headey and Kelly Craig, Troy has Diane Kruger and Rose Byrne. 300 wins, but only because Troy drops the ball in a big way, Kruger just doesn't look attractive enough to have launched a thousand ships and Byrne spends most of the film looking like she's been dragged through a hedge.
300: 1, Troy: 1

Round 4: Storytellers
As the second LOTR film proved, The Bean beats Wenham on every level, not that it's anything to be ashamed of, The Bean is unstoppable. Troy has The Bean.
300: 1, Troy: 2

Round 5: Sex
Yes, the reason all you colonials go to the cinema. In the end this round's pointless, both films had sex scenes that caused laughter from the audiences when I went to see them. No score draw. (300 had more laughs, albeit unintentionally)
300: 1, Troy: 2

Round 6: Comedy
Yes they're both historical wannabe epics but some comedy is present in both. 300's pathetic offering is "Well, you did say we'd fight in the shade." - Fail. Troy has loads, mainly from The Bean "The men believed we were coming here for Menelaus' wife....won't be needing her anymore."
300: 1, Troy: 3

Round 7: Depth
Easy win. 300 has none, Troy offers some. Leonidas is an idealist, anyone who disagrees with him is evil and ends up doing something bad. Achilles and Hector are both rounded individuals who question themselves as well as their opponents.
300: 1, Troy: 4

Round 8: Visual Effects
300 has lot, more than The Matrix. Troy has few. 300 has better effects, however it overuses them. Variable speed fights get very boring after the fourth one.... However I must still award the point to 300 due to it's more realistic kill scenes, something I appreciate in film.
300: 2, Troy: 4

Round 9: Acting
300 has some excellent actors, but they are restrained by the script. Troy has better actors who are allowed to form their characters.
300: 2, Troy: 5

Round 10: The Antagonists
The foil to our hero, someone he can engage with on all his levels. 300 just doesn't have one. Xerxes is no match for Leonidas and apart from two brief exchanges they do not interact. This leaves Leonidas woefully lacking in anything to test himself against onscreen. Achilles has Hector. Hector is presented as a rounded character with a viable reason to oppose Achilles and he opposes him directly and fully.
300: 2, Troy: 6

Round 11: The Protagonists
The final round. Leonidas versus Achilles in an Ultimate Showdown (of Ultimate Destiny). Leonidas should win, however his portrayal is so restricted by the script that Achilles manages to force a draw through the depth of his character, his speeches and musings. Leonidas doesn't help himself by only having two manners of speech, growling or bellowing. Score draw.
300: 3, Troy: 7

Final Victory: Troy

Any further posts had better be something more constructive than "I liked 300 and Troy was teh suxor!!ELEVEN!!"

MaverickZ
27th March 07, 01:52 PM
It's generally not considered a contest when the outcome is already decided. A better title might have been "Why Iscariot likes Troy more than 300".

Iscariot
27th March 07, 01:58 PM
It's generally not considered a contest when the outcome is already decided. A better title might have been "Why Iscariot likes Troy more than 300".
It was a contest.....

I might have had an epiphany halfway through writing it.

I did, Troy won.

Liffguard
27th March 07, 04:25 PM
I know I'm gonna get flack, but I honestly don't see why Troy gets so much hate. Sure, it was deeply flawed but it wasn't a bad film per se. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

As for 300, I don't disagree with Iscariot on any particular point, yet I still prefer it to Troy. Looking at it objectively I do think that Troy is the better film but there's just an indefinable something about 300 that makes me enjoy it more.

Teh El Macho
27th March 07, 05:12 PM
I haven't watched 300 yet, but even if I do, it's very likely I will like Troy better. I just can't get past the idea of the great Xerces being portrayed as an androgynous, nose-and-tit pierced goth-like male bitch.

AAAhmed46
27th March 07, 05:17 PM
300 kicks Troys ass in many many ways.

Troy was pretentious and took it self way to seriously, Brad Pitt's charecter, Achielles was supposedly honorable, yet did things that made no damn sense.

300 knew what it was set out for and delivered: Style, Violence, Boobies.

Question!
27th March 07, 05:34 PM
Don't forget that the soundtrack for 300 > soundtrack for Troy. ELECTRIC GUITARS!!!

ICY
27th March 07, 06:10 PM
Style, Violence, Boobies.

Violence, granted...and nothing more. Style was pathetic.

AAAhmed46
27th March 07, 06:14 PM
I may disagree with 300, but it was better then Troy.

Iscariot
27th March 07, 06:22 PM
Violence, granted...and nothing more. Style was pathetic.
ICY has dined in Hell on the correct.

300 has no idea of style whatsoever, I invite intelligent rebuttals.

polishillusion
27th March 07, 06:42 PM
300 = Maddox somehow not in pirate form. Actually, its a little off because you see a man eating fruit at one point, but its about as close as you get without losing an eye.

Iscariot
27th March 07, 06:55 PM
300 = Maddox somehow not in pirate form. Actually, its a little off because you see a man eating fruit at one point, but its about as close as you get without losing an eye.
Translation please.

ICY
27th March 07, 06:58 PM
He's a fucking faggot who should cut his own throat.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/razor2.gif

Osiris
28th March 07, 06:57 AM
Translation please.

You don't know about Maddox? No wonder you're gay for Achilles.

polishillusion
28th March 07, 07:17 AM
translation =

maddox.xmission.com

Ze German
28th March 07, 08:37 AM
So why are you comparing the two probably worst movies evar?

mrblackmagic
28th March 07, 08:49 AM
Since we're compairing mayonnaise to vanilla ice cream. I felt like everything in 300 was under utilized. Somebody came out, did their thing, died, talk, somebody else came out, did their thing, died, talk etc. etc. for two hours. I wasn't able to engage with anything in the movie.

Shawarma
28th March 07, 08:50 AM
Troy is based on an epic story that has lasted thousands of years and is still awesome.

300 is based on a comic book by a ratfaced dweeb with an unhealthy fascination with people's groins (and the removal of them by force.)

Easy pick, if you ask me.

Antifa
28th March 07, 09:27 AM
Getting to the actual violence in both movies, and having bother to watch "making of" on the troy DVD, I felt like the makers of 300 had no idea how a bronze sword would work....

I liked the fighting styles in Troy because there was at least an attempt to reconstruct style to fit how a weapon of that age would work.

MaverickZ
28th March 07, 09:51 AM
I liked the fighting styles in Troy because there was at least an attempt to reconstruct style to fit how a weapon of that age would work.
You mean like Brad's vogueing and strike-a-pose style?

Antifa
28th March 07, 10:03 AM
You mean like Brad's vogueing and strike-a-pose style?

at least it acknowledge that brozne swords are
blunt as fuck and heavy as hell

DAYoung
29th March 07, 02:31 AM
I'm surprised by the claim that 300 tried to hard - perhaps its publicists did, but not the director. It was plainly and straightforwardly an action romp, with some very compelling themes.

Troy, on the other hand, struck me as incredibly pretentious - perhaps because the director was a good one, hampered by a studio and its team of producers (I don't know - this is speculation).

Also, while 300 evoked precisely the enduring themes of Thermopylae, Troy evoked...er...the tenderness of a demi-god for his slave...or something...

ICY
29th March 07, 02:50 AM
Themes of Thermopylae were "Let's kill some nigger faggots" and "Let's FUCKING SLAUGHTER SOME MOTHERFUCKING NIGGER FAGGOTS!!!"

DAYoung
29th March 07, 03:00 AM
Actually, I'm surprised you didn't take to 300. The themes were physical male intimacy and romantic self-annihilation.

Question!
29th March 07, 03:28 AM
According to the official website, the fighting style for 300 had a heavy FMA influence, the lead choreographer is an instructor at the Inosanto Academy.

ICY
29th March 07, 03:28 AM
It was OK, but I didn't see it in the theatre, so the special effects were not that impressive.

mrblackmagic
29th March 07, 09:44 AM
According to the official website, the fighting style for 300 had a heavy FMA influence, the lead choreographer is an instructor at the Inosanto Academy.

I'll bet it was Billy Bud who choreographed it too.

Kein Haar
29th March 07, 12:46 PM
300! Aw hellz jeah!

Stick
29th March 07, 12:51 PM
Troy is based on an epic story that has lasted thousands of years and is still awesome.

300 is based on a comic book by a ratfaced dweeb with an unhealthy fascination with people's groins (and the removal of them by force.)

Easy pick, if you ask me.

Thermopylae isn't ancient and epic enough for you? Yeah it got butchered in the movie, but Troy did the same fucking thing.

Go fall on your sword.

Neildo
29th March 07, 12:52 PM
...but I didn't see it in the theatre....

YOU HAVE BEEN REPORTED TO THE MPAA, LAWBREAKER!!!

Shawarma
29th March 07, 01:03 PM
Thermopylae isn't ancient and epic enough for you? Yeah it got butchered in the movie, but Troy did the same fucking thing.

Go fall on your sword.
300 is based on Miller's less-than-ultra-historically-correct interpretation of the battle at Thermopylae. Troy was based on ancient works.

MaverickZ
29th March 07, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know how long it was between the battle of Troy and when Homer wrote The Iliad?

Wikipedia says 450 years.

Anyway, interesting read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_the_Iliad