PDA

View Full Version : A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin, book four of A Song of Ice and Fire

Stick
22nd March 07, 07:20 PM
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/0553801503.jpgI think I kind of hate George R.R. Martin.

You heard me, I hate him.

He's too good at this, this writing shit! He continues to vex me terribly; I'm terribly vexed!

So with this the fourth edition of A Song of Ice and Fire, Martin continues to weave his epic tale of flawed knights and murderous children and whorish queens caught up in tumultuous events in a troubled land. As with A Game of Thrones (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46256), A Clash of Kings (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46273), and A Storm of Swords (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46463) before it, A Feast for Crows pulls no punches and spares no sensibilities as life and death- especially death- hurry along at their swift, unyielding pace.

It should be noted that Martin ends this book with a little letter to the reader, a note that tries to explain to us why half of the major characters were not heard from in the 976 pages of this tome. Jon Snow, Dany, Tyrion, Stannis, and the Onion Knight are ignored in favor of events in King’s Landing, Dorne, and Braavos. Martin intended this book to have all the major characters, and then he realized it was just way too long. So rather than give us half of everyone’s story he decided to give us all of half of the characters’ stories- that should make sense.

So in AFfC we get to spend our time with Brienne of Tarth, Cersei & Jaime Lannister, Samwell Tarly, Arya Stark, the men and women of Dorne, and the irascible Ironmen of the north. Honestly, I can’t shake the feeling that we’re getting the JV squad here. Don’t get me wrong though, Martin’s second-string is still head and shoulders above the best of the rest in the world of modern fiction and fantasy in particular- I wouldn’t be surprised if Martin crapped better characters than those that fill the pages of, say, Dragonlance.

I miss Tyrion, Dany, and Jon, but Martin makes up for it; Brienne and Arya are great and even Jaime has begun to grow on me- I still don't forgive him for throwing an 8 year old out of a tower window-, and it's always fun to think about how best to kill Cersei, that bitch.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/cersei_if_text.jpgIn the wake of Tywin Lannister's death at his own son's hand (yeah, I assume you've read the other three books), Cersei assumes the regency of the Seven Kingdoms on behalf of her son Tommen, the 7 year old king. She's about as pleased with herself as any person can possibly be, she's also increasingly paranoid- Tyrion's in the walls, bitch!- and hell bent on being as stern and unyielding a ruler as her father was. Cersei's parade of catastrophically poor decisions marches through the book and culminates in a nice little scene that left me cheering. Cersei is defiantly one of those characters I love to hate, not only hate but plot the painful and humiliating death of.

Yes, that's not crazy.

Jaime continues to grow as a character and apart from his sister. He still has his pure dick moments, but for the most part he's come a long way. By the end of the book I'm actually pleased with his course of action.

As for Brienne, well I can't honestly say much other than that she's great. The thing is I just yesterday finished the book and certain events still weigh heavy on me- well as heavy as events in a fantasy book can weigh on me- and I'm not really sure what I can or should say. Let's say things are left in a painful cliff-hanger and leave it at that.

Plenty of other characters are given their shot in the spotlight, and of them I have to say I want more of Asha Greyjoy. The Craken's Daughter is an awesome character. Her up-hill battle to lead the Ironmen is something I wanted a lot more of than I got, hopefully she will crop up in the next book.

Ugh, listen to me, by the time I get done with A Dance for Dragons my review will be down to "FUCKING AWESOME, GIVE ME MORE! LOL!"

Right, well, I am tempted to score this less than the other 3, it isn't as good as the other 3, but it's still a really, really good book: 5 ritualistically drowned and resuscitated men out of 5.

AAAhmed46
22nd March 07, 08:03 PM
You summed up my thoughts nicely!

Liffguard
23rd March 07, 11:45 AM
Die, have you read The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword yet? If not, do so. They'll tide you over till ADWD is released. They're two short stories as part of a prequal series to ASOIAF, set about a hundred years earlier. The first is in Legends and is also in graphic novel form. The second is in Legends II and the graphic novel has just been started.

AAAhmed46
25th March 07, 01:20 AM
I cant find ''A hedge knight'' and ''sworn sword'' anywhere seperately.

JimmyTheHutt
25th March 07, 04:11 AM
They made a graphic novel of The Hedge Knight and one is forthcoming for The Sworn Sword.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Liffguard
25th March 07, 01:03 PM
"The Hedge Knight" can be found in the original "Legends" compilation (if you can find it). Otherwise it's also in "Dreamsongs: A Rretrospective" which should be on amazon. The graphic novel is pretty easy to find online. "The Sworn Sword" is in the "Legends II" compilation, again fairly easy to find.

frumpleswift
25th March 07, 10:23 PM
Do you think the many references to Cersei gaining weight are an indication that she is taking on some of Robert's finer traits, or that she got her ass knocked up?

And you like Brienne, but Jaime is only growing on you? The more I read of Jaime the more I feel sorry for him. He's been hopelessly manipulated by his father and sister his whole life.

AAAhmed46
26th March 07, 12:54 AM
I feel sorry for him as well.

He seems smart.

But still lacks Tyrion's intelligence, and it shows, albeit you have to look carefully.

Liffguard
26th March 07, 09:50 AM
I feel more empathy for Jaime but let's be honest, he's still a complete dick. He threw Bran out of a window and killed Jory and Ned's guard in cold blood. He's not the moustache twirling villain we were originally led to believe but he's sure as hell not a good guy.

AAAhmed46
26th March 07, 11:40 AM
True.

But he seems to look at himself differently now, he expressed some (albeit minimal) regret for bran, and said how he ''became the smiling knight''

Though he showed none, if not little regret for other stuff he pulled.

JimmyTheHutt
26th March 07, 12:31 PM
The important point to this series is that there are no good guys. The only one of those we had got himself executed, and even he was willing to lie when it suited his purposes.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

AAAhmed46
30th March 07, 10:20 PM
I have to disagree a bit. I think we have good people who end up doing bad things and really really feel bad about it.

Or...they start off good and become fucked up(i can see this happening to Breinne)

Hell look at samwell Tarly, what will he be forced to do?

JimmyTheHutt
31st March 07, 12:06 AM
I have to disagree a bit. I think we have good people who end up doing bad things and really really feel bad about it.

Or...they start off good and become fucked up(i can see this happening to Breinne)

Hell look at samwell Tarly, what will he be forced to do?

I think that is more of the humanity of the characters. Rather than being easily classified, the depth of the characters reveal they all have flaws and other things that don't make them identifiable good or evil.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Stick
31st March 07, 01:45 AM
Yeah, for example, my opinion of Catelyn Stark plummeted somewhere around the end of this book.

AAAhmed46
31st March 07, 02:30 AM
Can she even be called Catelyn anymore? Not the same person anymore.

JimmyTheHutt
31st March 07, 03:05 AM
Yeah, for example, my opinion of Catelyn Stark plummeted somewhere around the end of this book.

Even before she became.... whatever she is, she had her faults. Her treatment of Jon for one thing. Her release of Jaime Lannister for another.

Still, the end of Feast kinda torqued me off at her as well.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

AAAhmed46
2nd April 07, 02:13 AM
That bitch.

kobudo
9th April 07, 08:45 PM
I read Feast for Crows weeks after it came out... It takes far too long for the story to be written. After seeing this, I need to go back and re-read it, I've forgotten and misremembered way too much -- I thought the zealots had killed Cersei at the end of the book? Maybe they just insinuated that?

Jeez, it's been too long.

Any news of a release date for book five? EDIT: A quick glance at Amazon shows April 2008. I'm a moron for not looking.

Artful Dentures
27th July 07, 12:29 PM
OK I finally reread the series

It's interesting to review a series on a reread.

My biggest critique is getting past dead story lines. George spends a lot of time on some characters who bite the dust, while it makes it poignant the first time you read it it becomes tedious on the second go through.

It would be like if Tolkien spent chapters on Borimir prior to him joining the fellowship.

Same thing with some characters in the series.

Anything with Jon, Tyrion, Daenerys, Sam and Arya is good.

Catelyn, Sansa is ok

Ned, Theon and Rob, who cares

Bran looks like it could be good

And Jamie and Brienne is excellent stuff in A Storm of Swords

Anyways my point is knowing what happens some stuff drags on the reread.

But still a great series.

Jagged
29th July 07, 08:47 PM
I read Feast for Crows weeks after it came out... It takes far too long for the story to be written. After seeing this, I need to go back and re-read it, I've forgotten and misremembered way too much -- I thought the zealots had killed Cersei at the end of the book? Maybe they just insinuated that?

Jeez, it's been too long.

Any news of a release date for book five? EDIT: A quick glance at Amazon shows April 2008. I'm a moron for not looking.

Don't give that Amazon date any weight. They are full of shit and will just put up a guess to have something down. Trust me they had a date up for Feast and when people asked George about it he said Wow, I'm glad they know when it's coming out because I haven't finished it and I don't konw. Not the exact words but close.

I'll come here and give you a heads up when he announces that he has finished it.

fes_fsa
30th July 07, 12:06 PM
it took a long time to get into the 4th installment.

that being said, it was a great book.

and good luck on giving us the announcement Jagged. Martin pretty much said he wasn't going to keep us updated on his progress anymore--that he'll announce on his site when the book is done. he gets too many annoying emails.

Jagged
30th July 07, 07:58 PM
it took a long time to get into the 4th installment.

that being said, it was a great book.

and good luck on giving us the announcement Jagged. Martin pretty much said he wasn't going to keep us updated on his progress anymore--that he'll announce on his site when the book is done. he gets too many annoying emails.

Oh yes I know. But it will be on the ASOIF board within mins of it hitting his blog if not before that.

NSFW, NSFW
http://www.ftvgirlshardcore.com/ftv-girl-trisha/movie3.mpg

Stick
30th July 07, 08:17 PM
NSFW, NSFW
http://www.ftvgirlshardcore.com/ftv-girl-trisha/movie3.mpg

O_o

That's one of the most random things ever.

AAAhmed46
4th August 07, 01:17 AM
I wonder if she really was reading that book.

Steve
4th August 07, 01:19 AM
She copied my outfit for reading the books so I'm guessing that she really is reading the book.

frumpleswift
4th August 07, 09:39 AM
She copied my outfit for reading the books so I'm guessing that she really is reading the book.

You wear a floofy blue skirt while reading? Why can't you be a man like DAYoung and read in your birthday suit?

Steve
4th August 07, 09:59 AM
He's a philosopher by trade! He was born to read neked. Me, on the other hand....

Baby steps, my friend. Baby steps.

frumpleswift
4th August 07, 10:23 AM
He's a philosopher by trade! He was born to read neked. Me, on the other hand....

Baby steps, my friend. Baby steps.

So now you wear diapers while reading? That must be a damned good book if you can't stop long enough to take a shit.

Did I mention that I met George R. R. Martin at a con? He threatened to have my entrails roasted over an open fire. He also said I was a horrible person.

The threat was at the beginning of the ASOIAF Q&A. He opened by threatening to kill anyone who asked when the next book was ocming out...so I asked when the book after the next was due.

He said was a horrible person after asking which character he enjoyed killing the most, and suggesting it might be Lisa Arryn.

All in all the Q&A was very funny, and filled with random tangents about gnosticism and diatribes against the Bush administration. My wife and I got to ask many questions because no one else was, and he answered most of our questions, but refused to say whether Sorrella Sand's hobbies included crossdressing, archery and making metal neckware.

Steve
4th August 07, 10:32 AM
I see....

EDIT:......................................
.................................................. ................

and so forth.

Jagged
6th August 07, 09:50 PM
I just meet him at a Con this last weekend and he was really cool and laid back. Some dude asked him if we will ever hear more about Syrio and if he gave a good accounting for himself against that Kingsguard Knight. He said

"He took out 5 armed men with a STICK! The last one was in full plate. I say thats a pretty good Fucking Accounting for himself!"

AAAhmed46
6th August 07, 11:42 PM
SHit, i hope he comes back to edmonton.

He showed up when FEAST first came out.

But i wasn't able to make it.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

AAAhmed46
6th August 07, 11:54 PM
Anyone got his e-mail?

frumpleswift
7th August 07, 04:34 PM
"He took out 5 armed men with a STICK! The last one was in full plate. I say thats a pretty good Fucking Accounting for himself!"

I forgot to mention that G.R.R. Martin swears like a sailor.

Jagged
7th August 07, 06:47 PM
I forgot to mention that G.R.R. Martin swears like a sailor.

QFT

Anyone got his e-mail?

Not on me but I imagin it woudn't be hard to find. I don't e-mail him because I know he gets lots and I want him writting not reading e-mail. :)

AAAhmed46
8th August 07, 02:05 PM
I just want to ask if he'll ever show up again in edmonton.