PDA

View Full Version : Mad Max 4? Without Mel?

bob
14th March 07, 04:23 AM
Mad Max back, but no Mel

MAD Max could be coming back, but don't expect Mel Gibson to reprise his role in the classic Australian movie, says director George Miller.
Miller made his name with the post-apocalyptic vision of Mad Max, made in 1979, and its sequels, Mad Max 2 and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Now, fresh from winning an Oscar for his animated feature Happy Feet, Miller is planning a fourth instalment of Mad Max, with its murderous bikie gangs and bandits roaming the Australian outback.
Miller believes the star of the trilogy, Mel Gibson, is now too old and focused on his own films to want to again portray the lead character of "Mad" Max Rockatansky.
Instead, Miller hopes to secure a rising young star for the role.
The fourth Mad Max movie was in development before Miller took on directing Happy Feet, and now he's turning back to the project.
"I have a few projects in the pipeline including an animation ... but I do want to make another Mad Max movie and get stuck back into that," the 62-year-old said in Sydney today.
"It (the lead) won't be Mel. He was 21 when he made the first one, now he's a lot older and his passion is for film making and directing.
"I don't think he is into acting and I don't think he would be interested in being involved at all."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21380750-952,00.html

Mad Max without Mad Mel? Could it be? Brave but correct decision IMO. They just need to find someone with the requisite charisma to carry it off.

Iscariot
14th March 07, 04:45 AM
They should leave the franchise alone. Go find an original idea and do that instead of dragging out the greats to ruin them again.

Osiris
14th March 07, 05:03 AM
Mad Max will be just fine without Mel. He's not nearly so iconic as Schwarzenegger or someone so he can be replaced.

mrblackmagic
14th March 07, 07:06 AM
"Just walk away!"

Neildo
14th March 07, 10:30 AM
I dunno. If it's gonna be made, Mel should play max again. An even more gizzled old embittered max.

AAAhmed46
14th March 07, 10:44 AM
I agree with Neildo.

Shawarma
14th March 07, 10:45 AM
It should star Bruce Campbell.

Neildo
14th March 07, 10:54 AM
Only if it's directed by Sam Raimi.

Yiktin Voxbane
14th March 07, 11:01 AM
Ash Vs. Mad Max .... Now that'd be an Awesome pic .

Teh El Macho
14th March 07, 11:24 AM
I dunno. If it's gonna be made, Mel should play max again. An even more gizzled old embittered max.

I feel exactly the same way. Gibson may not be as iconic as the Gubernator, BUT, he was iconic in the role of Max. The last "Mad Max" movie ended up with a glimpse of hope, that people were beginning to rediscover civilization hoping for the rest out there (remember Max fading in the background) to join them someday.

Thus I feel some continuity, reference or connection to that state of things (whether it succeeded or not) must be preserved in any new sequel. It needs to be really original and connected in an interesting, novel way to the story of Mad Max for it to be good.

If an old, cranky Max is not in the sequel, it has to have a good plot, not just wild dudes in cars fueled with pig shit.

Otherwise it's going to be like T-4 or "Chronicles of Riddick." :(

Neildo
14th March 07, 11:27 AM
I actually saw chronicles of riddick on tv the other day. i liked how it ended.

I vaguley remember the ending to 'beyond thunderdome'. I say they make it to the new place, and get eaten by zombies or some weird shit, and max gets to go on doing what he does best. wander wastelands and kick ass.

Commodore Pipes
14th March 07, 11:34 AM
I remember when Miller talked about making the lead to Mad Max 4 play Mel's son. Dude, that wouldn't work! Max has no son. He has no wife. They DIED. That's the whole point of the character. There isn't a love interest in Road Warrior or Thunderdome, and all of a sudden they're going to have his son? That's ridiculous.

I say Mel, alone like he has been in every sequel to Mad Max, kicking ass. Or don't do it at all.

SpringHeeledJack
14th March 07, 12:12 PM
Iscariot's answer was the only one which was correct. They should just leave it alone. This kind of thing never turns out well, and I always end up disappointed.

AAAhmed46
14th March 07, 01:02 PM
Good post.

bob
14th March 07, 06:31 PM
Actually, in terms of Australian cinema, Max is the iconic action character, though I acknowledge that that probably doesn't translate so well overseas.

In terms of should it be done, I'd say Miller is a far more important figure than Gibson.

Zendetta
14th March 07, 06:34 PM
No Mel = No Way.

This is a Zionist conspiracy. Speaking of which, where is that no good Yid KungFuJew? Killing Arab babies for the Mossad, or what?

Iscariot
14th March 07, 07:02 PM
Iscariot's answer was the only one which was correct.
There needs to be more recognition of this fact in every thread I post in.

Zendetta
14th March 07, 07:05 PM
don't pull a muscle patting your own back, but I'm busy agreeing with you on another thread.

bad credit
15th March 07, 01:26 PM
At one point, it was considered to have Heath Ledger play Mad Max's son. I don't know now.

"Just walk away."
"I wish I knew how to quit you."

Cormoran
16th March 07, 09:08 PM
we've already seen a few too many mad max sequals in mels real life i think.

DAYoung
16th March 07, 09:18 PM
Iscariot wins a biscuit.

http://imgred.com/http://druh.com/rc/rc_tt_timtam.jpg

AAAhmed46
16th March 07, 09:38 PM
At one point, it was considered to have Heath Ledger play Mad Max's son. I don't know now.

"Just walk away."
"I wish I knew how to quit you."

WHAT KIND OF WOMAN WOULD MAD MAX FUCK!!!!!!!

bad credit
18th March 07, 04:27 AM
The dead chick all in white with the crossbow bolt in her who later showed up blue and bald and alien vegetable priestess in that Aussie sci fi show with the Jim Henson farting muppet martian king.

Shawarma
18th March 07, 04:58 AM
Max sure has specialized tastes when it comes to women.

DAYoung
18th March 07, 05:06 AM
The dead chick all in white with the crossbow bolt in her who later showed up blue and bald and alien vegetable priestess in that Aussie sci fi show with the Jim Henson farting muppet martian king.

?

http://www.andybudd.com/dcontruct05/images/what.jpg

ICY
18th March 07, 11:47 AM
FRAT

I don't care who plays the lead, post-apocalyptic movies are my favourite, mainly because I can't wait for humanity to get knocked down a peg or 6,000,000,000.

danno
19th March 07, 12:36 PM
i'm going to take this opportunity to remind you all that when mad max was originally released in america they dubbed it with american accents.

mel later re-dubbed his own accent in real life anyways i guess.

AAAhmed46
20th March 07, 02:57 PM
Fucking Mad max...what a guy.

JimmyTheHutt
20th March 07, 03:41 PM
?

http://www.andybudd.com/dcontruct05/images/what.jpg

Virginia Hey.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

DAYoung
21st March 07, 04:41 AM
I remember her nude, for some reason.

JimmyTheHutt
31st March 07, 03:07 AM
I remember her nude, for some reason.
Not in that film, but she has appeared that way in other pieces, including Farscape.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt