PDA

View Full Version : The "Marvel has killed off Captain America" mourning thread.

Scrapper
9th March 07, 09:45 AM
First they get rid of Thor, and now Cap.

Why God? WHY?!?!

Cap gets shot twice walking into a courtroom for his Civil War trial. Seriously...no epic battle, so selfless sacrifice, just a Lee Harvey Oswald.

Marvel says they did it becase fans were split on whether Cap should be smacking around terorists or lobbying Bush to stop the war. Since they hate to be political, they just killed him off.

Is it a gimmick? Marvel says it's not, but Superman was only dead for a year, and that wasn't a gimmick according to DC.

The real question is, will they put someone else in the costume (Falcon maybe? Everybody bitched that Rogers was too "Aryan" for a long time)? Will they just let the charcter go away?

They also brought Bucky back this year, so maybe he will wear the suit. Who knows. I'm just pissed, Cuz Cap rocks.

And yes...he can whup Batman.

WarPhalange
9th March 07, 09:50 AM
Marvel says they did it becase fans were split on whether Cap should be smacking around terorists or lobbying Bush to stop the war. Since they hate to be political, they just killed him off.

LOL that's awesome.

Osiris
9th March 07, 09:55 AM
Punisher.

As far as Cap being too political goes, thats BULLSHIT. They're fascists and it shows.

WarPhalange
9th March 07, 09:58 AM
Isn't God canon in Marvel? Can't he just bring him back to life for Amerka?

Scrapper
9th March 07, 10:04 AM
They did that with the Thing, when he "died."

But that's becasue they wrote Thing's death to coincide withthe death of his creator, Jack Kirby. When they found "God" it was Kirby, who brought The Thing back to life.

Joe Simon, creator of Cap...is still alive and rather pised that they are killing off his creation.

Omega
9th March 07, 11:07 AM
Thor's back, they just haven't shown his face. Rumor has it will be October this year. They didn't kill cap until they have a better dramatic ending. We at Team Omega call bullshit.

MartialArtN00b
9th March 07, 11:12 AM
Hmm,

marvel has been cleaning up its rosters of superheros alot lately.

But if it pisses off people alot, its just a gimmick to get things going.

As an example, some people at marvel tried having another serie on alpha flight, and never got the approval. Until one of their friends went and said : "hey bud, i just killed off alpha flight, the doors way open for you now."

When Jubilee lost her powers, fans went 'huh, you cant do that to fricken jubilee'. Now shes getting her own comic serie.

Cap death seems in line to be about the same thing. Theyre probably going to do like a DC flash thing "The real flash is dead, who will take the mantle?".

Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
9th March 07, 12:23 PM
The feeling I always get from this type of thing is that some PR genius behind the scenes thinks a smattering of mainstream media attention will translate to increased sales. I suppose it doesn't hurt to raise the profile of a Captain America or what-have-you from time to time, just to remind Joe Average Cocksucker that he exists, but does it ever really translate to increased sales? I don't have any data to back this up, but my gut tells me it never really results in more than a modest one-time spike. In wrasslin parlance, it's a cheap pop, and it strikes me as thee sort of thing that could turn off the real fans, the ones already buying the books, who are also probably a better marketing resource than CNN's "here's your wacky news" story of the day, since most of the comics I ever ended up digging hard were because I picked one up on the shitter at a buddy's house or something and got hooked.

Also, I knew Thor wasn't really dead, because he lives forever, strong and handsome and true, in the hearts of warriors and people with enormous collections of awesome metal CDs.

Phrost
9th March 07, 12:35 PM
It was mentioned on the Colbert Report last night. They did a short segment about having Alberto Gonzales as his replacement.

Bluto Blutarsky
9th March 07, 01:17 PM
I hope frank castle becomes the next captain america.

OZZ
9th March 07, 05:50 PM
Marketing, marketing ,marketing..they are warming up for a Cap movie in the near future.
Shitty way for an icon to go. But I don't care that much because he has never been one of my favorites.
I called one of the local comic shops almost as soon as I heard the news and asked them to put away a copy for me, but they were all sold out.

Osiris
9th March 07, 06:14 PM
Cap went out like the biggest pussy in comics. When Superman died, did he surrender to Doomsday and cry about how he wrecked Metropolis during the fight and was now just fighting for freedom and survival instead of the principle of the matter? No. Did he then get shot, handcuffed and almost helpless like a politician or something? No. He fucking killed Doomsday and died of his wounds in the battle. And I don't even LIKE superman. Cap aint a favorite either, but he got the worse comic death I've ever seen. Superheroes are supposed to die hard, not like pussies.

WarPhalange
9th March 07, 06:29 PM
So... a bullet? Wow. It's a good thing that Super Villians (no affiliation with The Villian(s)) don't know that costumes don't make good bullet protection.

Gezere
9th March 07, 08:22 PM
Marvel is on notice. They fucked up. First they made one of the most die hard characters in Marvel go out a a lil bitch. He faced off to some of the most powerful pple in Marvel and didn't back down. He's had a hell of alot of collateral damage but fought for what he believed in. Then they kill him off like it was nothing. Come on if it was that easy then why didn't the Skull do it years ago.

This is twice that marvel has fucked up my beloved heros. I still haven't forgiven them for the Clone Thor BS (they toyed with my emotions! BAD IDEA!) and not Cap!

Omega Flight better kick ass or I will.........continue to make harsh posts on the internet and rant in comic book stores!!!! That will show them!!!!

ICY
9th March 07, 08:30 PM
Muahahaha, Muahahaha, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA-*cough*-HA-*gag*-HACKRRRM-PTHOO!!!

Osiris
9th March 07, 08:38 PM
I still haven't forgiven them for the Clone Thor BS

No fucking kidding. What the fuck were they thinking?

Iscariot
9th March 07, 09:08 PM
Now I haven't (and don't ever) read the issue in question, nut it sounds to me like they've taken the high ground in taking a 'superhero' out through such 'mudane' methods.

I await my backlash from the comicbook nerds, but as a writer one of the hardest things to do is to kill a character, especially your hero. By doing this Marvel is (hopefully) signalling and end to a majority of the 'comicbook gimmicks' that surround the death of a character. None of this aligning the 12 stones of power when three people come from various points in the future and help your long dead uncle vanquish the soul of your arch villain's sidekick while you sacrifice yourself shit. Marvel have in effect humanised their character, what can kill the reader can kill the character.

Correct me if I'm wrong (having not read this or any Captain America comic) but in the circumstances of his death did he have the abiliy to dodge a bullet? To block it with his 'stuper powerz'? Or was he a normal bloke who had surrendered and was killed by an 'extremist'?

Marvel have turned what could have been yet another comic book death into a statement on intent. politics and honour. You lot seem to have lost that point because of who it is that has died.

WarPhalange
9th March 07, 09:13 PM
In other news, Spiderman slipped in the shower and busted his head open. DOA.

Omega
9th March 07, 09:15 PM
Marvel is on notice. They fucked up. First they made one of the most die hard characters in Marvel go out a a lil bitch. He faced off to some of the most powerful pple in Marvel and didn't back down. He's had a hell of alot of collateral damage but fought for what he believed in. Then they kill him off like it was nothing. Come on if it was that easy then why didn't the Skull do it years ago.

This is twice that marvel has fucked up my beloved heros. I still haven't forgiven them for the Clone Thor BS (they toyed with my emotions! BAD IDEA!) and not Cap!

Omega Flight better kick ass or I will.........continue to make harsh posts on the internet and rant in comic book stores!!!! That will show them!!!!

Of course Omega Flight is going to kick ass. With the name Omega attatched to it how could it not?

Beta Ray Bill
Sasquatch
Guardian
Talisman
US Agent
Spiderwoman (Carpenter)
The Collective

Only thing they're missing is....me....bwahahahahaahahahahha

Question!
9th March 07, 09:31 PM
Spiderman's Spidey sense and his lightning quick reflexes would ensure that never happens.

WarPhalange
9th March 07, 09:59 PM
Well he was really depressed that day because he ummm.... killed a spider.

Osiris
9th March 07, 10:07 PM
Spiderman's death was pretty stupid. How in the fuck does an avenger get beat down alone in the middle of the street?

Question!
9th March 07, 10:09 PM
So..... he did actually die in the Civil War?

Question!
9th March 07, 10:10 PM
And yes...he can whup Batman.

I just read that line....... it makes me VERY angry!!

You know that after the first fight Batman will just come out with some sort of Anti-America device.

Neildo
9th March 07, 10:11 PM
I just read the Road to Civil War. I'm just starting the whole series now, thanks to you guys.

Parker is alive but 'legally' dead, and works for Tony Stark. Also, the new spidey suit is fucking awesomesauce.

WarPhalange
9th March 07, 10:12 PM
And then he hit his head when he slipped on the shower. He was masturbating to his own suit.

Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD
9th March 07, 10:22 PM
Wait wait wait - clone Thor? What the fuck? Seriously, it took me like two hours of slacking at work and reading fucking Wikipedia to get a handle on that fag grey-Hulk-that-talked business and now there's a clone Thor... Fuck this shit man.

Osiris
9th March 07, 10:23 PM
Spiderman died right BEFORE civil war.

now there's a clone Thor...

He's dead too, thank god.

Question!
9th March 07, 11:23 PM
I thought the Gray Hulk has been around for ages, now.

Neildo
9th March 07, 11:35 PM
There was big green mean and dumb hulk, then something happened and he became less strong but smart enough (a.k.a. Joe Fixit) and then Doc Sampson did something to him and bruce, big greenie, and joe fixit became big super strong and smart hulk. then all this ultimate shit happened and i don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

Question!
10th March 07, 12:06 AM
The only thing I remember is from watching the animated series years ago and the Gray and Green Hulk were always fighting for control.

DAYoung
10th March 07, 12:48 AM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/DAYoung_2006/Cap.jpg

AAAhmed46
10th March 07, 01:20 AM
Well, this will only shine more light on the complex Ultimate Captain america

Osiris
10th March 07, 03:26 AM
then all this ultimate shit happened and i don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

Ultimate hulk is unrelated, as all the ultimate characters are. In the ultimate Universe, Hulk changes colors with no real explanation. Just does it sometimes.

AAAhmed46
10th March 07, 03:30 AM
Coolest hulk ever.

"HULK WANT FREDDY PRINCE JR!!!!! RAWRRRRRRRR!!"

Osiris
10th March 07, 03:56 AM
HULK NO SISSY. HULK STRAIGHT!!!!!!!

AAAhmed46
10th March 07, 04:21 AM
"BANNER NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?"

Kiko
10th March 07, 08:19 AM
No one who's posted in this thread can ever insult CTC vets or gamers.. EVAR!

WarPhalange
10th March 07, 01:14 PM
I can. I've only been making fun of comics in all my posts.

Kiko
10th March 07, 02:45 PM
And you're always right about everything. I've noticed that.

WarPhalange
10th March 07, 02:57 PM
I know, isn't that awesome?

Kiko
10th March 07, 02:58 PM
For you, it must be quite special. For the rest of us, a whole other sort of special.

WarPhalange
10th March 07, 03:02 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/elitism.jpg

Kiko
10th March 07, 03:23 PM
http://www.caughtatwork.net/demotivations/images/infallibility.jpg

WarPhalange
10th March 07, 05:23 PM
In that case I'm even better than I had previously thought.

AAAhmed46
10th March 07, 05:32 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/elitism.jpg

Where do you guys find these?

WarPhalange
10th March 07, 05:38 PM
www.despair.com

AAAhmed46
10th March 07, 06:34 PM
Cant find any free samples.

SpringHeeledJack
10th March 07, 06:40 PM
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/failure.jpg

Kiko
10th March 07, 07:46 PM
I google for mine and look for just the right ones... PL, I really must thank you, some of them are quite amusing..
and others are perfect..
http://www.caughtatwork.net/demotivations/images/validation.jpg

AAAhmed46
11th March 07, 12:56 AM
you guys are awsome.

Gezere
11th March 07, 11:33 AM
No one who's posted in this thread can ever insult CTC vets or gamers.. EVAR!
You mean CTC as in COAST TO COAST guys I've had to pleasure of chainsawing and frag tagging in Gears of War?

If you caught that, Yes I am that Geekish!

Kiko
11th March 07, 11:39 AM
CTC was Cazic-Thule Corner. An EQ server community that eventually shifted to general stuff when we exhausted all the game related crap we could post about and or simply got tired of playing it, but not of amusing/annoying one another.

WarPhalange
11th March 07, 01:27 PM
Essentially, you married each other over the internet.

Kiko
11th March 07, 02:02 PM
Only very rarely..
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m136/YakOfDarkness/Alliances.jpg

JimmyTheHutt
12th March 07, 11:42 AM
Of course Omega Flight is going to kick ass. With the name Omega attatched to it how could it not?

Beta Ray Bill
Sasquatch
Guardian
Talisman
US Agent
Spiderwoman (Carpenter)
The Collective

Only thing they're missing is....me....bwahahahahaahahahahha

I believe The Collective is actually Guardian. They whacked both James and Heather Hudson. Walter Langowski just slapped the Collective with a suit to control his powers that looks like the original Guardian suit.

But yeah, I am pushing for this book to become an ongoing.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Scrapper
12th March 07, 12:45 PM
Beta Ray Bill is going terrestrial?

How lame. He is a great character, though. God Bless Walt Simonson.

Kiko
12th March 07, 05:37 PM
http://www.xecu.net/slickpuppy/Sup.jpg

Dagon Akujin
12th March 07, 11:46 PM
There was big green mean and dumb hulk, then something happened and he became less strong but smart enough (a.k.a. Joe Fixit) and then Doc Sampson did something to him and bruce, big greenie, and joe fixit became big super strong and smart hulk. then all this ultimate shit happened and i don't know what the fuck is going on anymore.

I have some of those autographed by Dale Keown.

http://www.randyscomics.com/hulk377.JPG

Stick
13th March 07, 08:53 AM
Who will be the new Captain America?

Problem solved.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/captaincolbert.jpg

WarPhalange
13th March 07, 12:06 PM
They should totally make a spin-off comic of Colbert (in character) becoming the new Capt. America. It would be awesome.

Question!
13th March 07, 12:56 PM
I fully support this new Captain!

MaverickZ
13th March 07, 02:57 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4779/superherocaptainamericasi0.jpg

WarPhalange
13th March 07, 03:26 PM
I wonder how much she got payed to do that.

OZZ
13th March 07, 03:51 PM
Hey, I lucked out today and snagged a copy of Cap 25. Dealer found a couple extra in the back room he had forgotten about. Otherwise, the city is dry ..
Most shops say they are getting more though..

DAYoung
13th March 07, 05:01 PM
"payed"

?

Loops, I'm going to save my money, fly to the United States, train with Omega for six months, and then KILL YOU FOR THE THREAT YOU POSE TO THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

I know, I know - it's grammatically correct, but it's not how I spell it.

AND NOT DOING THINGS MY WAY IS TERRORISM.

WarPhalange
13th March 07, 05:13 PM
In my defense: I have the sniffles. :(

DAYoung
13th March 07, 05:21 PM
Well, okay.

Freedom stops for the common cold.

Kiko
13th March 07, 05:23 PM
http://www.minutiaesoftware.com/images/paid_stamp.jpg
DAY is right.
Just because you're a SCIENTIST doesn't mean you can neglect things like ENGLISH or HISTORY the way you do!

Neildo
13th March 07, 05:37 PM
These people type: 'layed' too. I empathise, D.

Kiko
13th March 07, 05:40 PM
Past tense.. pah..

http://www.tams.unt.edu/dynamic/store/images/lays-orig-large.gif

DAYoung
13th March 07, 06:03 PM
Kiko, as a conservative and a Christian, I think you should:

STOP BEING SMUTTY RIGHT NOW.

WarPhalange
13th March 07, 06:07 PM
DAY is right.
Just because you're a SCIENTIST doesn't mean you can neglect things like ENGLISH or HISTORY the way you do!
I can completely ignore English. Math is the only language I need.

Also, history is hard. There are numbers and stuff. :(

EDIT: By the way, what's wrong with my history?

Kiko
13th March 07, 06:08 PM
You don't like potato chips, DAY?

They say 'No one can eat just one' ;)

Kiko
13th March 07, 06:09 PM
I can completely ignore English. Math is the only language I need.

Also, history is hard. There are numbers and stuff. :(

EDIT: By the way, what's wrong with my history?

Numbers? Like dates and years?
I thought it was all the people and interactions, doing the same stupid things over and over that you didn't like...

DAYoung
13th March 07, 06:12 PM
You don't like potato chips, DAY?

They say 'No one can eat just one' ;)

God just said 'tsk tsk' at you.

Kiko
13th March 07, 06:13 PM
That's oke, God has a terrific sense of humor.

DAYoung
13th March 07, 06:14 PM
If he exists, he would have to.

NSFW (http://www.saatchi-gallery.co.uk/imgs/artists/altfest_ellen/ellen_altfest_penis.jpg)

Kiko
13th March 07, 06:17 PM
So IF you question God's existence, then it's possible you're hearing someone else 'tsk tsk'-ing me?

*backs away*

WarPhalange
13th March 07, 06:21 PM
Great, now you're going to give him a mental breakdown.

AAAhmed46
13th March 07, 06:30 PM
Who will be the new Captain America?

Problem solved.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/captaincolbert.jpg

+ rep

Kiko
13th March 07, 06:36 PM
With chips and dip!
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/wsimgs/rk/images/rcp-images/Recipe/BlueCheeseDip.jpg

DAYoung
13th March 07, 08:21 PM
Zeus.

MaverickZ
13th March 07, 09:36 PM
I wonder how much she got payed to do that.
$300 + $100 for anal

DAYoung
14th March 07, 03:27 AM
Waist not, want not.

Neildo
14th March 07, 03:01 PM
OKay, i just did some marathon comic-book reading. I just finished Civil War: Frontline #4. This is probably the best comic book storyline ever. Even though I know how it ends (RIP: CAP) I must...read....them...ALL.

Screw you guys. This is totally your fault.

Osiris
14th March 07, 07:04 PM
Dude, what? Its a fucking disaster.

Neildo
14th March 07, 08:10 PM
no way. it's cool. :P

Stick
14th March 07, 08:38 PM
Uh-oh, there's dissent in the ranks!

/still haven't read it, will give it a fair shake in TPB

Bukow
15th March 07, 12:46 AM
You know that after the first fight Batman will just come out with some sort of Anti-America device.

Isn't that called the UN?

Shawarma
15th March 07, 10:48 AM
He will invent the LIBERALIZER!

OZZ
15th March 07, 10:54 AM

God is dead..you should know that DA

Neildo
15th March 07, 10:59 AM
Okay i have just....let me say acquired most of, if not all of the books in the series. anybody got a chronology/order list? I've been looking, but sociocide is really the nerdiest forum i can stand. gamefaqs drives me crazy. i found one on...borkweb? or something, but people who responded in the forum mentioned that it's not correctly arranged, incomplete, etc.

c'mon, you haters. i want to hate marvel as much as you guys. help me out here!

edit: nevermind, i got a good one. if anybody wants it, i'll upload it. Just let me know.
edit2: I'll take that as a no.

I have read over 40 comics while at work in the last 3 days. My job is fucking awesome.

Stick
15th March 07, 06:05 PM
So, shortly before his death, Cap got interviewed by Ben Urich and this snotty, little, registration loving bitch named Sally Floyd and it went a little something like this

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/capgetslectured.jpg

And the horrid fucking writer responsible for this travesty had Cap sit there and take it.

Here's what Cap should've said (I wish I'd written this, some guy on livejounral call mightygodking (http://mightygodking.livejournal.com))

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/whatcapshouldvesaid.jpg

JimmyTheHutt
15th March 07, 07:21 PM
I reiterate that Frontline 11 was the biggest piece of crap ever produced. Paul Jenkins, a writer I normally enjoy, was sucking on a big ol' piece of stupid the day he cranked out that script.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Osiris
16th March 07, 06:25 PM
No fucking kidding. Seriously, I hope that was satire.

JimmyTheHutt
16th March 07, 06:55 PM
No fucking kidding. Seriously, I hope that was satire.

That issue was not satire. That makes it even worse.

This is the problem with Brits trying to write Cap. They just do NOT get it.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

DAYoung
16th March 07, 07:11 PM
Captain America is hilarious. He's...wait wait...*wipes tears of laughter*...he's a nationalistic comic hero.

I mean, seriously...

CAPTAIN SERBIA

http://www.nndb.com/people/357/000024285/slobodan-milosevic-1.jpg

CAPTAIN ITALY

http://www.nndb.com/people/468/000045333/benito.gif

It's like Johann Gottfried Herder, George Washington and Stan Lee had a ménage à trois, and Mr. Stars, Stripes and Lycra was the lovechild.

Shawarma
16th March 07, 07:43 PM
Captain A, like James Bond, should of retired when he ran out of nazis and commies to fight.

DAYoung
16th March 07, 07:50 PM
CAPTAIN FRANCE

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/ingres/napoleon-throne.jpg

Zendetta
16th March 07, 10:03 PM
Do you know the character's history, DAYoung? Its a rousing tale of wartime propaganda - its no accident that he's blond and blue-eyed.

There's a Captian Britain too, you know. I think his superpowers include making tea and buggery.

Stick
16th March 07, 10:32 PM
Actually, Captain Britain would fucking crush you in a heartbeat, him and the rest of the EU super-squad are good friends of Cap and the gang.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/EUcap.jpg

DAYoung
16th March 07, 10:42 PM
Wow. I was right, and I didn't know it.

Yay for me.

Condolences for the comic world.

Iscariot
17th March 07, 12:55 AM
Captain A, like James Bond, should of retired when he ran out of nazis and commies to fight.James Bond is still making kick ass movies, Captain America made one, and it was shit.

JimmyTheHutt
17th March 07, 01:48 AM
James Bond is still making kick ass movies, Captain America made one, and it was shit.

Several, actually. And they were all shit.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Sun Wukong
17th March 07, 07:57 AM
Captain America is the shit.

The Youtube and Nascar line...? WTF was that stupid shit about?

Stick
17th March 07, 11:04 PM
That's what happens when an Englishman is allowed to write Captain America, he gets corrupted and soiled by stiffer upper lips, tweed, and scones.

Fucking Brits ruined Captain America.

DAYoung
17th March 07, 11:06 PM
Yes, but they improved America.

By leaving.

Stick
19th March 07, 01:58 AM
Can't believe I hadn't put this up.

11sdMfLakpg

Neildo
19th March 07, 10:44 AM
Can't believe I hadn't put this up.

11sdMfLakpg

Lucky fuck.

Stick
19th March 07, 12:46 PM
No, it's still there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sdMfLakpg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Esociocide%2Ecom%2Fforums%2 Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D46435%26page%3D3

Neildo
19th March 07, 12:51 PM
Oh yeah. I had a problem with my java or flash player or something. fixed now.