PDA

View Full Version : Sitcoms, so easy a caveman could do them?

Stick
2nd March 07, 10:36 AM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/geico-caveman.jpgI was going to start this off with a little, "sitcoms all suck and now there's just gonna be one more sucky sitcom", but the more I think about it the more this idea amuses me.

According to Variety, ABC TV is developing a single camera sitcom pilot based upon Geico's caveman ads.

Yes, you read that right; they're making a TV show about politically correct cavemen in 21st century America upset about how they're portrayed in the media.

Honestly, this pilot idea intrigues me more than any commercial-to-sitcom transition has a right to. I can't help it, I'm amused.

The full article.

Winner for most unusual piece of development this pilot season goes to ABC, which has turned a series of quirky Geico commercials into an actual half-hour comedy project.

"Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice as they attempt to live as normal thirtysomethings in modern Atlanta.

Project, from ABC TV Studio, is penned by Joe Lawson, an advertising copywriter who was behind the "Caveman" ads -- as well as other Geico commercials (think the cockney-speaking Geico gecko, and the reality TV spoof "Tiny House").

Daniel Rappaport, Guymon Cassady, Will Speck and Josh Gordon are exec producers. Speck and Gordon, commercial directors who recently helmed the Will Farrell feature "Blades of Glory," are on board to also direct.

The single-camera laffer pilot is based on the Geico ads that promote the insurance company's Web site as so user-friendly that even "a caveman could do it." The spots follow cavemen in modern settings, reacting with offense to the derogatory slogan. In one, a Geico spokesman apologizes and takes the Neanderthals out to dinner.

Other blurbs include the sensitive, modern cavemen peeved at the offending slogan while encountering Geico ads in everyday life, including the airport.

The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.

Few TV shows have come out of the commercial sphere; more frequently, TV characters live on in 30-second spots long after their shows are canceled (think "ALF").
But it's not without precedence: The 2002 CBS comedy "Baby Bob" revolved around a talking baby character that was first seen in a series of dot.com ads. After the Eye canceled "Baby Bob," the character returned to its commercial roots, spending time as a pitchman (pitchbaby?) for Quizno's Subs.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer.jpgThanks, Variety.com. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960384.html?categoryid=14&cs=1)

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer) refused to comment on the news.

I hope they get the same guys to play it. It just wouldn't be the same otherwise.

As to this being single camera, that means audience comedy like Friends or Cheers, right? I would much rather see something like this done in the style of The Office, Ally McBeal, or Weeds, but I guess my input doesn't exactly count for much in this. It's just I think the way the commercials are shot and portrayed work rather well, and they just don't look like they'd work under the conditions of sound stage + live audience. There's a lot to be said for being able to shoot in a therapists office over looking the city, on a busy street with big billboards, or in an airport on the little automatic walkway thingy; I think putting the cavemen on constructed, cut-out sets in front of a laughing audience is really going to kill the feeling of a species out of time and place. Also, one must consider the caveman make-up, it may not be so good in the whole long-take singele camera setting.

I can't really believe I'm putting this much thought into the news that a series of commercials is going to be made into a sitcom. I really need a life, stat. Seriously, this is just fucking sad.

Oh well.

Observe, funny caveman commercial.

J2Z9zlGauK4

Steve
2nd March 07, 02:19 PM
The caveman commercials that Geico has put our are much better than most of the other ads they've had. I would definitely check out a sit com based on the characters.

The simplicity of the airport ad has made it my favorite:

H02iwWCrXew

If one can have a favorite insurance ad....?

Seriously, that vid has been favorited over 500 times on YouTube. There is a market out there for a full on TV show.

mrblackmagic
2nd March 07, 04:13 PM
I think we need to get a t.v. deadpool going. Yeah, we do.

WarPhalange
2nd March 07, 04:55 PM
So the entire punch line of the sit com will be that it's a caveman complaining about things instead of a woman or black person?

Or are they just comparing them to cavemen?

mrblackmagic
3rd March 07, 05:52 PM
I'd be inclined to punch you in the face if

1. I was in shape.
2. You didn't have a point.

emboesso
3rd March 07, 05:58 PM
It is, literally, preposterous.

There are not too many times you get to use that word in its literal sense, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

ICY
6th March 07, 04:27 AM
It'll allow prejudice to be explored more thoroughly and comically than it could be with a real minority group.

DAYoung
6th March 07, 06:00 AM
I vote for a Plato reference. It'll be mildly amusing to people who've read The Republic.

Heh.

Oh yeah...feel the comedic burn.

elipson
7th March 07, 07:33 PM
I second the plato reference.

Commodore Pipes
14th March 07, 11:51 AM
Single Camera is like the Office or My Name is Earl, I think.

T3hJudoChop
15th March 07, 08:25 AM
I would like this concept more if Phil Hartman was still alive to be a part of it.

Mr_Mantis
17th March 07, 06:16 PM
It's got to be better than another reality tv show.