PDA

View Full Version : Charlatanism Wins Again

DAYoung
1st March 07, 05:48 AM
Cosmic secret pays out earthly dollars for controversial guru

Jacqueline Maley
March 1, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/03/01/rhonda_byrne_inside_narrowweb__300x492,0.jpgRhonda Byrne ... the former Channel Nine producer's fortune is based on what she calls "the law of attraction".

RHONDA BYRNE believes that if you ask the universe for something, the universe will deliver - it is the philosophy on which she based her best-selling DVD and book The Secret.

So when the Melbourne-born television producer asked the universe to deliver millions of dollars to her from sales of her film, which details the self-help strategy she calls "the secret", it came up trumps. It is unclear whether she also asked the universe for the top spot on the Amazon.com bestsellers' list for the film's spin-off book, or for a two-show special on Oprah, but she got those, too.

The former Channel Nine producer's fortune is based on what she calls "the law of attraction", that if you have positive thoughts, you will attract success in life. But her success has not come without controversy.

The film, which was reportedly made on a budget of $3 million, 10 per cent of which was advanced by Channel Nine, has been remarkably successful, particularly considering it had no theatrical release and no advertising.

The Los Angeles public relations firm representing Ms Byrne said sales of the DVD, which retails for $34.95, had reached 1.5 million, and 1.7 million copies of the book had been printed and were expected to be sold.

It is now the biggest seller on Amazon.com and heads The New York Times bestseller list in the "Advice and How To" category.

But Esther Hicks, an American self-help guru who, with her husband, Jerry, has been promoting her own law of attraction philosophy for about 20 years, claims few of The Secret's fans know they are being sold a second version of the film.

Ms Hicks told The New York Times she and her husband were promised 10 per cent of DVD sales revenue from the film, but after a falling out with Ms Byrne, her voice and image were removed from the film and a new version was released. The couple were advised to sue for breach of contract, but they did not do so because suing was against their law of attraction philosophy.

The DVD and book are redolent of the same sort of imagery and conspiracy theories which made The Da Vinci Code such a huge success.

The film also features various self-help gurus who have already released books, such as Jack Canfield, the author of Chicken Soup for the Soul, and John Gray, famous for Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. The gurus say things like, "Everything that's coming into your life you are attracting into your life", and, "Become a deliberate creator of your life", and are set against a backdrop of Leonardo da Vinci's anatomical drawings.

The DVD also claims that through the centuries "they" have sought to suppress The Secret because of its awesome power. Both Ms Byrne and Paul Harrington, the Australian co-producer of The Secret, declined to comment yesterday.

The Herald asked the universe for interviews, but it didn't respond either.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/02/28/1172338710029.html

================================================

If you have positive thoughts, good things will happen to you. All true. Which is why her next project will be thinking positive for the poor, the starving, the crippled, the abused and the ill.

Of course, it might have helped that she's well-connected, relatively well-off, and attractive (in a rich and relatively free country) - but REALLY it's just positive thinking. It's just that SHE's the only one to have figure it out, whereas everyone else thinks that there are fairly well documented barriers to success, particularly for the disenfranchised and marginalised.

Fools!

Positive thinking, Africans. Positive thinking, free trade zone workers. Positive thinking, rape victims.

It'll all come to you, because the universe cares about you...

bob
1st March 07, 06:30 AM
Of course, it might have helped that she's attractive ..

Weren't you listening? Of course she's attractive - to success!

Just watch the video, OK. It will explain everything.

WarPhalange
1st March 07, 09:51 AM
It worked for me. I studied my ass off for my mathematical physics midterm yesterday and kept thinking I was going to fail, but I pretty much aced it.

Shit wait...

DAYoung
1st March 07, 04:33 PM
Am I alone in wanting her to make a public apology to...EVERYONE?

JimmyTheHutt
1st March 07, 05:02 PM
Am I alone in wanting her to make a public apology to...EVERYONE?

I think she needs to apologize for breathing. And stop.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

bob
1st March 07, 05:29 PM
I think she should apologise for Channel Nine firstly.

DAYoung
1st March 07, 06:01 PM
Bornsceptic's suggestion has priority. But Jimmy's idea appeals to my irrational longing for righteousness...

http://www.motorpasion.com/archivos/images/ghost_rider_trailer.jpg

bob
1st March 07, 06:12 PM
The Herald asked the universe for interviews, but it didn't respond either.

They're by no means fantastic, but sometimes I thank Zeus that we have Fairfax.

Iscariot
1st March 07, 08:52 PM
You're all jumping the gun.

We should test her thesis in a control situation.

I will bear this burden for the sake of Bullshido.

For the next half an hour I will think positively about the arrival of Cristina Scabbia appearing on my doorstep wearing just a raincoat and 'needng an itch scratching'.

I'll let you know how her hypothesis pans out....

DAYoung
2nd March 07, 12:59 AM
Tick, tick, tick...

WarPhalange
2nd March 07, 01:14 AM
Clearly positive thinking doesn't work because she's fucking old and ugly.

DAYoung
2nd March 07, 02:30 AM
Now you're just being mean. If you were more positive, you'd have manlier wrists.

mrblackmagic
2nd March 07, 09:14 AM
So I just ask the universe and I get whatever I want? Okay. I wish people could all be rational so new age con artist like this can't make a niche in life.........

How your wish going Iscariot?

Shawarma
2nd March 07, 09:59 AM
Obviously, she's wishing harder than you for the opposite to be true.

Iscariot
2nd March 07, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately I have not been busy with Miss Scabbia, I am therefore left to conclude that this person is lying as her theory does not work

Damn.

DAYoung
2nd March 07, 05:00 PM
I wished for a hug.

And a boat.

A hug and a boat.

And a house by the sea.

A hug, and a boat, and a house by the sea.

And world peace, without compromising the struggle necessary for artistic profundity.

A hug, and a boat, and a house by the sea, and world peace, without compromising the struggle necessary for artistic profundity.

*cries*

bob
2nd March 07, 05:09 PM
here's a hug....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/37/Bear_hug.jpg/260px-Bear_hug.jpg

JimmyTheHutt
2nd March 07, 05:11 PM
I wished for a hug.

And a boat.

A hug and a boat.

And a house by the sea.

A hug, and a boat, and a house by the sea.

And world peace, without compromising the struggle necessary for artistic profundity.

A hug, and a boat, and a house by the sea, and world peace, without compromising the struggle necessary for artistic profundity.

*cries*

Maybe we should wish for my idea as a group. I'll bet it carries more weight that way. And it might make you feel better...

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

bob
2nd March 07, 05:11 PM
and a boat...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40882000/jpg/_40882093_boat300245.jpg

bob
2nd March 07, 05:15 PM
and a house by the sea...

http://members.tripod.com/nickb8/shack.jpg

bob
2nd March 07, 05:17 PM
The rest you'll have to take care of yourself.

Iscariot
2nd March 07, 05:23 PM
Maybe we should wish for my idea as a group. I'll bet it carries more weight that way. And it might make you feel better...

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt
Pfft, my idea's better, we'll be doing mine first.

DAYoung
2nd March 07, 05:46 PM
and a house by the sea...

http://members.tripod.com/nickb8/shack.jpg

Is that one of those three-legged houses? 'Cause otherwise the sea gets in, right?

ICY
6th March 07, 04:33 AM
My mother told me she watched this video and that it was fantastic.

I told her that if she were a man, I would punch her in the face.

DAYoung
6th March 07, 05:20 AM
Tough love is good love.

bad credit
6th March 07, 12:15 PM
Well, maybe this chick is onto something. She was born rich, hot, and connected. So she expected the same the rest of her life. People born ugly, poor and alone never know any better, so things never improve for them.

I have an idea. Somebody figure out where she lives, then pay my airfare so I can go scope the place out, ninja past her security, and then jab her with an AIDS-infected needle. It'd be pretty sweet if she can find a cure for HIV with positive thinking within the week.

Beatdown Richie
6th March 07, 01:34 PM
The former Channel Nine producer's fortune is based on what she calls "the law of attraction", that if you have positive thoughts, you will attract success in life.

Isn't that the oldest trick out of the Book of Sloppy Thinking? Like, Magical Thinking 101? And if it fails, why, you didn't believe in yourself enough, obviously. Next time, turn off your brain so no doubt creeps in.

DAYoung
6th March 07, 05:23 PM
Isn't that the oldest trick out of the Book of Sloppy Thinking? Like, Magical Thinking 101? And if it fails, why, you didn't believe in yourself enough, obviously. Next time, turn off your brain so no doubt creeps in.

Yep. Infantile thinking. All the world is there for my gratification.

billy sol hurok
6th March 07, 05:30 PM
Yep. Infantile thinking. All the world is there for my gratification.
No, mine! Good, good!

oW97bDAOUSs&eur