PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Hotep

Stick
10th February 07, 03:48 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/BUBBA-AD.jpgBubba Ho-tep (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/) pretty much defines Bruce Campbell's career. It cost about half a million dollars, in Hollywood terms read "dirt cheap". It pretty much never stood a chance of seeing a wide release in theaters. Also, it's f*cking awesome!

Alright, yeah, this movie is like 5 years old. So sue me.

If you're one of the 5 people who doesn't know the premise of this film- though if you're one of those 5 I can't imagine how you're here reading this-, here's the deal; Elvis Presley didn't die. Elvis switched lives with one of his impersonators before he got fat and due to a BBQ accident lost the contract he made the impersonator sign that proved it. So Elvis grew old and now, well in 2002, lives out his remaining days having his various bed sores and the like lubed up by surly nurses in a horridly depressing nursing home.

Elvis's best friend is John F. Kennedy. Jack is a black guy who is convinced that he is JFK, that the doctors replaced a little bit of his brain with a sand bag where the bullet hit, that President Johnson is out to kill him, and that to ensure that no one would ever believe that he was Kennedy they- the evil shadow conspiracy- dyed his skin black, all over.

Now, if that's not enough to get your weird-o-meter kicking, here's the cherry; JKF and Elvis's nursing home is besieged by an evil Egyptian mummy in cowboy gear who sucks old people's souls out of their bodies through their anuses, well, any major orifice really.

The writer of this film must be applauded for his astounding ability to tap into something so absurdly, surreally, and satisfyingly American; Black-JFK and Elvis must kill the evil Egyptian cowboy mummy. Seriously, the man that wrote this probably has a tattoo of the American flag on his back the size of Texas.

Elvis's internal monologue detailing his decline into old age- how his dead room mate's hot daughter doesn't even think about bending over in front of him and giving him a view of her "love nest" because he's such a complete sexual non-entity- and his flashback tale of how he wound up where he is are pure comedy gold. At the same time, Elvis and JFK's plight in the home- nurses and doctors writing off everything they say as delusion and senility- and how everyone is undeniably there waiting to die anyway really infuses the whole movie with a sort of unshakable sadness. It's a weird mix of sad and funny that works out in the end, don't get me wrong this is no tear jerker Kleenex fest of red balloons and English patients.

That's right, there's a fucking mummy to kill!

So this mummy sustains his undead existence by sucking the souls out of the elderly. He sucks their souls out of any major orifice, but mostly out of their butts. This mummy gives a killer rim-job *rimshot*! JFK and Elvis work this out when they discover some hieroglyphics chiseled onto the stall wall of the nursing home's public shitter. What’s more, JFK translates this ancient graffiti with his handy dandy books, something like "Cleopatra puts out". The geriatric legends realize that after the mummy eats their friends' souls he digests them and shits them out like they do their prunes; there is nothing in store for a devoured soul but the city sewage system.

Elvis and JFK's quest to end the Egyptian reign of terror infuses both, though Elvis in particular, with some much needed vim and vigor. They get out of bed, they tell the nurses to go fuck themselves, and they steal all kinds of shit they need to kill off the mummy ass eater.

The budget really shows in the effects, but that's alright. This is like one of those weird indy comics you see at comicon and nowhere else, like "Robots are Cool & Zombies are Jerks", you can't help but overlook the fact that the pencil guy kind of sucks, it's ok, you still have to finish it!

I won't give away the ending. I will say that I am eagerly looking forward to the prequel: Bubba Nosferatu and the Curse of the She-Vampires (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457295/). Seriously.

In the end I give Bubba Ho-tep 4 cowboy boot wearing mummies out of 5.

Shawarma
10th February 07, 04:14 PM
I've been wanting to see this movie ever since first hearing of it. It sounds deliciously retarded. Sadly, I haven't been able to find a copy in any local stores.

Steve
10th February 07, 04:34 PM
Saw it on the big screen when it came first came out. Awesome.

But as you all know, I'm a HUGE Bruce Campbell nut rider, so he can do no wrong in my eyes...

Well, The Man With The Screaming Brain (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365478/) really taxed my love, but fortunately I can have a very selective memory when I want to.

Cassius
10th February 07, 05:08 PM
Bubba Ho-Tep is an amazing piece of film.

Yiktin Voxbane
10th February 07, 07:47 PM
Got this one in me DVD collection.

<3 B.C.

Shawarma
19th February 07, 04:33 PM
I just downloaded this.

It's awesome, yet pretty sad.

Sun Wukong
20th February 07, 12:13 AM
I liked it, but I'm still disappointed that Bruce has to keep making these low-budget films and didn't get more screen time on bigger budget films.

Commodore Pipes
20th February 07, 10:21 AM
I just downloaded this.

It's awesome, yet pretty sad.

Do you mean because age seems to rob people of their dignity? I wouldn't say that it does necessarily, but many seem think so...

Shawarma
20th February 07, 12:04 PM
Sir apparently has not spent a lot of time in an old peoples home.

Commodore Pipes
20th February 07, 05:33 PM
I work very closely with that profession, and I know how they can be. The loss of bodily or mental integrity, associated with age, itself, is not undignified. I agree wholeheartedly that the attitudes of many LTC workers are demeaning toward their charges, but the natural results of aging THEMSELVES are not undignified.

I agree with your assessment. I was just trying to pinpoint what exactly you thought was sad about it; odds are it's the same as mine, but I didn't want to assume.

Shawarma
21st February 07, 02:12 PM
I worked for about a week in an old people's home. My conclusion was that I'd start strangling the inmates out of pity for them and disgust at a society that keeps people alive for so long when they're no longer self-aware had I worked there for another week. But experiences differ, I suppose.

Commodore Pipes
21st February 07, 04:51 PM
I can say for one thing it's not a topic that'll be hashed out and cleared up over an intarweb forum. Let's say that the state of LTC in America could be improved, and that part of the movie bubba-hotep was rather poignent and sad. Agreed?

Shawarma
22nd February 07, 11:58 AM
Nope. Don't live in America, can't speak on anything related to caring for the elderly there.

Shawarma
22nd February 07, 02:40 PM
By the way, "Eat the dog dick of Anubis you ass wipe" is an insult I need to work into casual conversation more often.

Stick
26th February 07, 11:02 AM
Totally forgot to give the movie a score.

4 cowboy boot wearing mummies out of 5.

Edited that into the OP as well.

Artful Dentures
1st March 07, 10:16 AM
Great movei and there's talk of a sequel

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/preview/1808507924

Bubba Nosferatu: Curse of the She-Vampires

Hooray!!!!!

Yiktin Voxbane
2nd March 07, 12:14 AM
And talk of a sasquatch one too .... Yum .

Steve
2nd March 07, 02:07 AM
Great movei and there's talk of a sequel

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/preview/1808507924

Bubba Nosferatu: Curse of the She-Vampires

Hooray!!!!!

So the OP is telling the truth!!

That's post number 1, check it out.

Artful Dentures
2nd March 07, 08:12 AM
I got to stop speed reading :(