PDA

View Full Version : Roman decendants found in China?

jubei33
4th February 07, 11:49 PM
Residents of a remote Chinese village are hoping that DNA tests will prove one of history's most unlikely legends that they are descended from Roman legionaries lost in antiquity.

Scientists have taken blood samples from 93 people living in and around Liqian, a settlement in north-western China on the fringes of the Gobi desert, more than 200 miles from the nearest city.

They are seeking an explanation for the unusual number of local people with western characteristics green eyes, big noses, and even blonde hair mixed with traditional Chinese features.

"I really think we are descended from the Romans," said Song Guorong, 48, who with his wavy hair, six-foot frame and strikingly long, hooked nose stands out from his short, round-faced office colleagues.

=====================whole article too long to post============

The article also has pictures of a handsome dude, Cai Junnian, who has green eyes and fair complexion.

It says that they took DNA samples and its interesting to think what they'd find. At any rate even if they found european markers from Mitochondrial DNA it still wouldn't prove that they are descendants of a Legion, but on the other hand I think it would fuel more interest in the subject. Perhaps another study looking into traditional family graves would yield more concrete evidence?

On another note, I'm waiting for scientists to make a totally sweet chimera of human racial traits. They would totally rule us like overlords, because if I've learned anything from the movies its that when man messes with nature the result is a superpowered mix of species. Yes, it's Dr. Moreux time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/02/wroman02.xml

Stick
5th February 07, 12:08 AM
Rome and China were aware of one another, but their trade was mostly through third parties. All the same, I see no reason to believe that a group of legionares had to run East for one reason or another- escape decimation?- and settled down.

This isn't exactly the stuff of science fiction.

Oh, and China discovered America before the Europeans, they just didn't care.

AAAhmed46
5th February 07, 12:29 AM
Rome and China were aware of one another, but their trade was mostly through third parties. All the same, I see no reason to believe that a group of legionares had to run East for one reason or another- escape decimation?- and settled down.

This isn't exactly the stuff of science fiction.

Oh, and China discovered America before the Europeans, they just didn't care.

I hear the vikings(who were europian) also discovered america long long ago, but also did not care much.

But im sure the Chinese pre-date them too.

One thing puzzles me: Didn't the romans have dark complexions, curly hair, and often black or brown hair?

Blond and green eyed doesn't sound mediterianian to me.

Im probably wrong though. I just hope there is SOME stock in my logic.

Stick
5th February 07, 01:02 AM
No, the Chinese expedition does not pre-date the Viking missions, but unlike the vikings the Chinese had the resources and no how to actually take advantage of the discovery. It's just that in the time between that naval mission launched and returned the empire changed hands and the new empire was not in the least bit interested in venturing out side of his significant borders untill his power was secured. One of those moments people in China must look back on and say "God damnit."

Rome spanned north through Europe on up into Britain, fair hair and green eyes were by no means alien to the Roman citizenry.

jubei33
5th February 07, 01:15 AM
now so much commenting on science fiction, but rather "bizarre" mixes of races. I love to see a little variety. Take women, for example, I have a theory that the hottest women are of mixed orgins.
http://www70.homepage.villanova.edu/terence.taylor/halle_berry_17_magic.jpg

AAAhmed46
5th February 07, 01:21 AM
No, the Chinese expedition does not pre-date the Viking missions, but unlike the vikings the Chinese had the resources and no how to actually take advantage of the discovery. It's just that in the time between that naval mission launched and returned the empire changed hands and the new empire was not in the least bit interested in venturing out side of his significant borders untill his power was secured. One of those moments people in China must look back on and say "God damnit."

Rome spanned north through Europe on up into Britain, fair hair and green eyes were by no means alien to the Roman citizenry.

I see, i was taking it too literally, i was thinking ROMANS not the roman empire. My bad.

One of those moments people in China must look back on and say "God damnit."

hahahahahah

Mr. Jones
5th February 07, 03:25 AM
Isn't she black jubei? She doesn't look very mixed to me.

jubei33
5th February 07, 04:08 AM
At this point, I couldnt care, shes undeniably hot. Ms. Cleveland, I'm coming to git ya

bad credit
5th February 07, 04:26 AM
On Reno 911 they used Halle Berry as an example that there has to be a funnier black/polack joke.

She is hot, though. Hot enough that I forgive her for Catwoman.

bob
5th February 07, 06:41 AM
now so much commenting on science fiction, but rather "bizarre" mixes of races. I love to see a little variety. Take women, for example, I have a theory that the hottest women are of mixed orgins.

Believe it or not, I read a study on this recently. They surveyed a group of people and found that they were instinctively inclined to rate people of mixed racial origins more attractive than those who were 'pure blooded'. The theory is that our genes seek variety to increase the range of immunities our children will have.

Doctor X
5th February 07, 08:01 AM
Or we like the exotic.

Meanwhile, there has been a Jewish group in China for centuries.

--J.D.

Osiris
5th February 07, 09:00 AM
Isn't she black jubei? She doesn't look very mixed to me.

You know most American blacks are really mixed, right? We just don't talk about it as the politics of that are fucked beyond belief.

Truculent Sheep
5th February 07, 09:34 AM
It turns out we're all a bit diverse - even the very conservative Torygraph agrees:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/24/nrace24.xml
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/29/neander29.xml
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2006/11/05/svgenetic05.xml

Mr. Jones
5th February 07, 10:35 AM
You know most American blacks are really mixed, right? We just don't talk about it as the politics of that are fucked beyond belief.

they don't talk about it cause it's like denying the fact that you are black.

billy sol hurok
5th February 07, 11:24 AM
Take women, for example, I have a theory that the hottest women are of mixed orgins.

Please elaborate further.

Okay, I'll start.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1702/rosariodawson18ay8.jpg

Some more data points here. (http://www.mixedfolks.com/actors.htm)

Stick
5th February 07, 11:29 AM
I remember in high school all the girls of obviously mixed ethnicities- black/asian, black/white, white/asian, polynesian/viking- averaged out at way hotter than those of more homogenus roots.

Shawarma
5th February 07, 11:52 AM
Then how come the Arab/African hybrid is so mind-blowingly fugly?

Stick
5th February 07, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, point.

jubei33
5th February 07, 07:28 PM
Believe it or not, I read a study on this recently. They surveyed a group of people and found that they were instinctively inclined to rate people of mixed racial origins more attractive than those who were 'pure blooded'. The theory is that our genes seek variety to increase the range of immunities our children will have.

see science proves my fetish is healthy.

If thats the case I wonder what the whole mixed race-ism thing is all about. There seems to be alot of that going around especially in homgeneous cultures.

Zendetta
5th February 07, 07:44 PM

No shit... and not talking about it makes for some very wierd culture issues. The concept of "white" is pretty whack, for example.

You see very light skinned folks trying hard to "act black" enough to fit in with blac culture, probably because for the longest time even the slightest African features marked one as "not white" (still do I suppose).

My roommate's last regular girlfriend was british by way of the Caribbean. Her genetic stock is pretty much pure west african. Between her very dark skin (like ebony, midnight black) and her polished English accent, she really stood out amongst the sisters in oakland.

I got to see an excellent all 'black' presentation of Twain's "Puddin'Head Wilson" once. Its an awesome play that satirizes this issue brilliantly.

Zendetta
5th February 07, 07:46 PM
PS - I know a mixed race Chinese/black chick that would make the Pope kick a hole in a stained-glass window.

ChiNegro hottie FTW.

Anna Kovacs
5th February 07, 08:11 PM

I think this actually shows quite a lot.

I've known three black dudes straight from africa and they tend to have very distinctively differant features then most american blacks.

AAAhmed46
5th February 07, 08:21 PM
Im with Kat.

Mr. Jones
5th February 07, 08:24 PM
I really don't think mixed people are any hotter than most other people. Considering the extremely hot and extremely ugly mixed people I've seen I say it's about 50/50.

WarPhalange
5th February 07, 09:27 PM
I think this actually shows quite a lot.

I've known three black dudes straight from africa and they tend to have very distinctively differant features then most american blacks.

They have t3h r34l black, unlike you Uncle Toms.

Mr. Jones
5th February 07, 09:29 PM
They have t3h r34l black, unlike you Uncle Toms.

You've got it mixed up. Uncle Tom's think they're white not black.

Teh El Macho
5th February 07, 11:35 PM
Meh, these people don't need to be descendents of lost Roman legionaries to have quote-and-quote European markers in their DNA. The Tokarians, Bactrians, Scythians, Eastern Aryans (Persians) and a whole bunch of Caucasoid ethnicities (Indo-European and others) lived in that region with Turkik and what-not other ethnicities. Inter-ethnic fucking must have occurred back then. Search for articles on the Tarim Basin Culture, the Andronovo Culture, and most importantly, the Tocharians, the Pazyryk culture, and the Yuezhi.

That is, in many parts of Central Asia (including North Eastern China) these ethnicities predated what the illiterate world considers "Asian" peoples. I don't see how the heck a genetic test will determine if these people are really descendant of Roman legionaries. Not that it's impossible, but AFAIK, such tests don't allow for such fine granularity.

BTW, just for shit and giggles, this is a painting of two Buddhist monks, one of them with red hair and blue eyes... ugly mofo...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Central_Asian_Buddhist_Monks.jpeg

WarPhalange
6th February 07, 09:34 PM
His chin looks like balls.

Teh El Macho
8th February 07, 07:12 PM
Holy shit dude! You are right. You have good eyes for detecting testicles!

WarPhalange
8th February 07, 07:49 PM
Having a pair means I can see them whenever I want. They are a familiar sight. Like you and dicks.

In your mouth.

Mr. Jones
9th February 07, 12:49 AM
So this is a Chinese Muslim?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Khotan-melikawat-chicas-d02.jpg

Mr. Jones
9th February 07, 12:50 AM
Wait what the fuck are we talking about now?

WarPhalange
9th February 07, 01:03 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Khotan-melikawat-chicas-d02.jpg

No, I don't see any bombs on her.

Teh El Macho
9th February 07, 09:13 AM
Having a pair means I can see them whenever I want. They are a familiar sight. Like you and dicks.

In your mouth.and balls in your chin.

Teh El Macho
9th February 07, 09:24 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Khotan-melikawat-chicas-d02.jpgI'd hit that.

bwdillon
13th February 07, 09:20 PM
Pretty sure I've got the whole neandertal thing going on. Red body hair, short stalky, My limbs are disproportionately shorter compaired to my tourso. In fact when I was still in my mum they thought I was going to be a dwarf.

polishillusion
20th February 07, 12:04 PM

My mom has this insane idea, that the children of mutts turn into supermen/women for some reason. I guess its a Polish wives tale.