PDA

View Full Version : The Late & Lazy Sociocide Weekly Poll: Which HBO Show Wins?

Stick
3rd February 07, 09:17 AM
HBO pretty much makes the best TV there is. Bigger budgets, less restriction, and no commercial simply allows for superior TV- that's all there is to it.

In the last couple months two great tidbits of news have come to our attention; HBO will be adapting Preacher (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45778) and A Song of Ice and Fire (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46136). While we wait.... patiently for these two great stories to be adapted to the boob tube we can all march down to Best Buy and browse the many shows that HBO has brought us over the years, but for those of us on a budget pickyness is required- HBO doesn't seel their shows cheap, those bastards.

So, what HBO series would you encourage someone with only $100 to buy?

Yes, this poll is late and yes it is in no way politicall charged, at all, oh well. We'll live

Iscariot
3rd February 07, 09:30 AM
This is what you came up with?

We obviously don't get HBO, and frankly in the case of your poll, the fact that they're commercial free doesn't matter either as DVDs don't have ad breaks.

Bigger budget means shit, if it did then Titanic and Terminator 3 would be amongst the best films ever made. A slight hint: They're not.

In short I want an option for This thread fails.

Dai should also fix the typo in his signature.

Stick
3rd February 07, 09:51 AM
The DVD format may be devoid of commercials but you cannot deny that the interjection of a 2-3 minute commercial break in the hour long drama has a real effect on the way the story is told.

Iscariot
3rd February 07, 10:15 AM
True it does break up what should be a carefully designed narrative, however your poll is about which series people should spend their money on. To me this means DVD and renders the point of commercials moot, unless you pay for TV shows in America?

Stick
3rd February 07, 10:48 AM
Oh for fuck's sake- YOU SHOULD SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THE SHOW THAT IS BEST!!!!!

Which HBO show is best?

God damn fucking contrary jackassanapes.

frumpleswift
3rd February 07, 10:53 AM
Missing Option: A Song of Ice and Fire. HBO isn't worth it till it comes out.

Iscariot
3rd February 07, 11:52 AM
Oh for fuck's sake- YOU SHOULD SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THE SHOW THAT IS BEST!!!!!

Which HBO show is best?

God damn fucking contrary jackassanapes.
That's fine, but you shouldn't have put there being no commercials as a selling point of HBO being 'the best'.

To answer your question, none of the above, The Sci-Fi Channel wins for the Dune miniseries.

Steve
3rd February 07, 12:05 PM
Can't vote, already get HBO.

Shawarma
3rd February 07, 01:26 PM
I liked Oz. Never thought I'd like a show about a bunch of guys raping each other in the ass, but there you go.

Bukow
3rd February 07, 01:31 PM
I voted for CYE, because the first 4 seasons were great. At season 5 it took a dive off a cliff, though.

I would've voted for Extras if you'd included it. Ricky Gervais is consistently awesome.

Dagon Akujin
3rd February 07, 01:57 PM
Where's Big Love? That's the only one that can get the bitches thinking about polygomy.

Dagon

frumpleswift
3rd February 07, 03:56 PM
That's fine, but you shouldn't have put there being no commercials as a selling point of HBO being 'the best'.

To answer your question, none of the above, The Sci-Fi Channel wins for the Dune miniseries.

TRUTH

Too bad God Emperor wouldn't work well as a miniseries.

I have a question for you, as you seem to be a good rabid Dune fan. Were the last to Frank Herbert books good and deeply profound, or crap?

I've read them both several times, and I am still not sure.

frumpleswift
3rd February 07, 04:00 PM
Where's Big Love? That's the only one that can get the bitches thinking about polygomy.

Dagon

The show kind of sucks, except that the youngest wife is cute.

And my wife agrees that a junior wife would be rather useful.

Iscariot
3rd February 07, 04:22 PM
TRUTH

Too bad God Emperor wouldn't work well as a miniseries.

I have a question for you, as you seem to be a good rabid Dune fan. Were the last to Frank Herbert books good and deeply profound, or crap?

I've read them both several times, and I am still not sure.
A couple of years ago I looked at how I'd actually adapt GEOD, the only way I can see it done (the least departure from the source material) would be to focus on the Duncan/Siona relationship as trying to turn a lot of Leto's internal monologue into screentime would be immensely difficult.

I assume (due to typo) you mean Heretics and Chapterhouse. I tend to see the Dune saga as two distinct trilogies, the Muad'Dib cycle and the Leto II cycle. The Muad'Dib cycle comprises the first three books and charts the beginning, rule and decline of Muad'Dib and his empire as a tragic failure. The Leto II cycle is the final three books dealing with the longterm vision and planning of the God Emperor, in distinct opposition to Muad'Dib failure in foresight.

HOD and CHD are the most difficult Dune books to pick up IMO, making Dune itself seem simple in comparison. I first read them both whilst studying History, Politics and Philiosophy and still found I had to reread certain passages to understand them, something that I've rarely had to do. I don't actually see how they could be considered crap (especially when compared to the shit his son turns out that sullies the Dune name, but that's a diffferent rant), perhaps you could expand more on this.

frumpleswift
3rd February 07, 04:29 PM
HOD and CHD are the most difficult Dune books to pick up IMO, making Dune itself seem simple in comparison. I first read them both whilst studying History, Politics and Philiosophy and still found I had to reread certain passages to understand them, something that I've rarely had to do. I don't actually see how they could be considered crap (especially when compared to the shit his son turns out that sullies the Dune name, but that's a diffferent rant), perhaps you could expand more on this.

HOD and CHD both have passages that seem deeply profound, in the same vein as God Emperor, however the ending of CHD and the Honored Matres plot seems wanting, and the two super-beings described at the end are not developed enough for me to really understand what the point is.

It seems like Herbert had many profound ideas when he started the cycle, but either didn't have the time or ability to fully flesh them out.

Basically when I read the two books I feel a lot of intellectual build up, that falls flat in the end. It is like coitus interruptus for the brain.

Iscariot
3rd February 07, 04:57 PM
HOD and CHD both have passages that seem deeply profound, in the same vein as God Emperor, however the ending of CHD and the Honored Matres plot seems wanting, and the two super-beings described at the end are not developed enough for me to really understand what the point is.

It seems like Herbert had many profound ideas when he started the cycle, but either didn't have the time or ability to fully flesh them out.

Basically when I read the two books I feel a lot of intellectual build up, that falls flat in the end. It is like coitus interruptus for the brain.
I can now see what you're talking about.

After reading some of the shit that Brian's put out, I subscribe to the theory that CHD was the intended ending of the second and final Dune cycle. The notes (if any) that Brian found were Frank's personal notes to help him organise ideas and not intended for use in anything else. Also, fighting actual robots is far too fucking clumsy for me to believe that Frank would actually use it.

The ending to me pretty much follows Frank's tendencies as a writer and the aims of the cycle. The Honoured Matres were returning (as were all the major factions from The Scattering) to the old Empire for various reasons and from the HM POV they'd succeeded by destroying Rakis and effectively wiping out Melange that was giving the Bene Gesserit their edge, at this point their story angle is finished or at least dormant for a while, they have the abilty to dominate known space. The BG of course have managed to remove a worm and thus ensure the continuance of their order. With their patience and total control of melange their strikebacks in CHD could continue for hundreds of years.

The final faction is of course Duncan, the wild element that allowed the completion of Leto's Golden Path by taking Scytale, Sheeana (a Reverend Mother) and a worm containing a portion of Leto's own consciousness out away from this new crucible, enabling the continuance of the human race past the immediate conflict caused by Leto's own Scattering. Leto talked about cycles in GEOD, he began one that lasted a couple of thousand years and producd circumstances and conditions that led to better Face Dancers, non-Melange based abilities, artificial Melange, navigation machine and new abilities in the Atreides genes (Teg). At a point of stagnation, total victory for the BG or HM, the Scattering is jump-started again ensuring the future return of the descendants of Duncan's group to cause further conflict.

The two 'godlike' beings are, according to my view and others, depictions of Frank and Beverly, and in a more abstract sense, the reader themselves. The 'strands' described are the plotlines and essence of the story as written by the writer and enforced by the reader that locks the characters into a set course. By dumping the navigational data we can never know where Duncan went, we can only speculate, as a character he is now free even from his creator.

DAYoung
3rd February 07, 05:07 PM
Star Trek.

Ze German
3rd February 07, 05:20 PM
As a long time Dune enthusiast I always like to provoke Star Wars fans with this (http://www.spookybug.com/origins/dune.html) site. Might be interesting for the Dune fans here.

And by the way Six Feet Under is teh pwnz0r!

Shawarma
3rd February 07, 05:44 PM
Based on your previous posts tonight, I refuse to click that link because of suspicions it's a video of Han Solo cornholing Paul Atreides.

Odacon
3rd February 07, 05:54 PM
Very difficult and close, but I had to give the nod to Oz. Just so many well written characters, it's good enough to make you forget about the almost constant bumming going on in the background.

Stick
3rd February 07, 05:54 PM
Actually that's a really cool link.

frumpleswift
3rd February 07, 06:03 PM
Based on your previous posts tonight, I refuse to click that link because of suspicions it's a video of Han Solo cornholing Paul Atreides.

Except that Han Solo would be Paul's bitch.

DAYoung
3rd February 07, 06:21 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/f/f6/300px-Star_Trek_TNG_title_credit.jpg

AAAhmed46
3rd February 07, 06:23 PM
I like Carnival.

Ze German
3rd February 07, 06:28 PM
Whats wrong with DAYoung? Is he drunk or what?

DAYoung
3rd February 07, 06:48 PM
Whats wrong with DAYoung? Is he drunk or what?

Not drunk. Just stubborn, closed-minded and mildly obsessed.

Ze German
3rd February 07, 06:58 PM
So tell me, how does someone so smart get obsessed with Star Trek?

DAYoung
3rd February 07, 07:00 PM
I wasn't being entirely serious.

To be honest, I just like droning on about Star Trek on Die's threads.

You see, Die is a...*whispers* DS9 fan...

Ze German
3rd February 07, 07:05 PM
Well I have to admit that I sometimes do enjoy the simple truths of Star Trek myself. Plus my mother is a die hard wacko Next Generation fan, so the only time we spend together is when watching Star Trek. Kinda sad actually...

AAAhmed46
4th February 07, 12:49 AM
You know, did picard ever get into a heavy fist fight in that series like Sisko and Archer did?

I think patrick stewart is awsome though.

Carnival:

Am i the only one who felt sorry for that priest guy?

DAYoung
4th February 07, 12:52 AM
He got in plenty of scrapes. The most famous was with a Naussican (below), which ended with Picard getting stabbed in the heart.

http://z.about.com/d/scifi/1/0/v/a/naussican.jpg

DAYoung
4th February 07, 12:56 AM
Well I have to admit that I sometimes do enjoy the simple truths of Star Trek myself. Plus my mother is a die hard wacko Next Generation fan, so the only time we spend together is when watching Star Trek. Kinda sad actually...

Mein Gott - it's the end of Gemeinschaft.

WE'VE FORGOTTEN SEIN, WE'RE BLIND TO THE DESTINY OF BEING.

MITTELEUROPE IS DOOMED, IN THE GRIP OF GESTELL.

AAAhmed46
4th February 07, 01:05 AM
He got in plenty of scrapes. The most famous was with a Naussican (below), which ended with Picard getting stabbed in the heart.

I really need to rewatch the series.

Shawarma
4th February 07, 02:48 AM

Woah, it's The Predator in his KISS days!

Mr_Mantis
5th February 07, 04:49 PM
I canceled HBO because it's just not worth the cost. I'll probably get it again when the Sopranos come back (whenever that may be) then I'll promptly cancel it again.

I find myself watching the news, history channel and discovery channel. That's pretty much it.

KhorneliusPraxx
6th February 07, 04:15 PM
Where is the, "I don't even have basic cable" option?

mrblackmagic
7th February 07, 10:23 AM
Because everyone would vote for it just to be a pain in the balls. A sharp pain in the balls like one after a post coital piss.

KhorneliusPraxx
7th February 07, 10:37 AM
I really don't though...

mrblackmagic
7th February 07, 10:42 AM
seconded.

I do have Rome season one and Deadwood two and three. I recommend both shows.

Mister X
9th February 07, 09:55 PM
No one on the forum has seen The Wire?