PDA

View Full Version : The Media Respondsto the Blasphemy Challenge

Stick
3rd February 07, 07:55 AM
Xioxiou this is for you

Here's the amusing Fox RAGE!

bcbTJgeJrw0

Here's the much better piece by Nightline.

Y_n_UBK_Ex8

A VA. NBC affiliate weighs in

Uw0q-WhBsEo

A San Francisco affiliate weighs in, note how the talking head introducing the piece doesn't mention any hate or disgust while the the VA talking head did.

G08mttoqd0g

Again a local NBC report- what is it with NBC affiliates being up on youtube, are they the only network that doesn't hunt clips down?-, this time Los Angeles

YGOjUotZadI

This girl is amusing. She's got the Fox interview style down pat and she's only in high school.

_kfoKgc6Ik8

For shit's 'n giggles

YODA BLASPHEMES!

9uriIX97kzQ

WarPhalange
3rd February 07, 02:17 PM
I loved the 2nd one.

It was essentially: "And you think your 'logic' is a good way of thinking? What about all the billions of people who don't use 'logic'? How does that make them feel?"

AAAhmed46
3rd February 07, 06:42 PM
It's alright, though the whole ''tyranny of religion'' thing is kind of funny.

But thing is, why dont they even TRY to argue using logic of some sort? of any kind? even abstract arguements?

Where are non-religious deists? Where are they? Doesnt make sense.

AAAhmed46
3rd February 07, 07:29 PM
My views on it is that it will do the opposite of what they set out, if they REALLY want to get rid of religion, just be passive and make sure people dont take it seriuosly
insulting religion causes people to become polarized, group polarization. Study it? When a group of like mindeed individual stay together, the overall ''general'' opinion of the group becomes more extreme.

Thing is, without insulting, the time is to wait a little longer when people have an even MORE casual attitude toward religion it self.

Also standared of living has alot to do with it. Visit lots of poor poor countrries, and in the poorest regions, i wish you luck to find alot of die hard athiests.

If the overall standard of living is high, people have the luxury to truly question the validity of religion.

Dagon Akujin
3rd February 07, 09:03 PM
I think that a lot of people are missing the point:

God-guy: The Bible is the 100% True Word of God (TM)!
Athiest: There is no reason to think that.
God-guy: Sure there is. The Bible says it.
Athiest: Sure thing.
God-guy: And we need to base our lives, and out government on it!
Athiest: What are you talking about?
God-guy: Since I am 100% right, you need to accept God (TM) and the Bible.
Athiest: I don't want your Bible running my life or my country.
God-guy: But God loves you! And the Bible is 100% perfect! Our country is based on Christianity!
Athiest: Fuck your God. I don't believe in the whole Holy Spirit bullshit.
God-guy: But God loves you!
Athiest: Not anymore. Your God now hates me.
God-guy: But God loves everyone!
Athiest: I'm glad you don't know jack-shit about the Bible you claim is 100% perfect.
God-guy: Huh?
Athiest: Your own Bible says that God now hates me for what I just said.
God-guy: But he'll forgive you and wash your sins clean and white as snow.
Athiest: Nope. Your 100% True Word of God (TM) now says that I am lost forever and can never be forgiven.
God-guy: That sounds stupid. All you did was say a dumb little sentence.
Athiest: I'm not disagreeing with that. You really need to do your homework if you're going to try and force me into the same bullshit that you don't know why you believe. Why don't you look up some of the other 100% Truth (TM), like the stuff about racism, rape, killing, self-mutilation, and slavery. Good "Truth" you got there. Do you eat shrimp on Sundays?
God-guy: Burn in hell, infidel!

Dagon

WarPhalange
3rd February 07, 10:13 PM
Well, if there was any doubt that you were going to get fired over the Internets before, you just armbarred it.

Question!
3rd February 07, 10:37 PM
Especially when they see you can't spell 'atheist' correctly.

KidSpatula
4th February 07, 01:16 AM
OMG these mean athiests are calling religious people irrational! That's terrible! Can't they just be like good christians and tell people they'll burn in eternal hellfire?

nihilist
4th February 07, 03:10 AM
Since it has been proven that religious people are less intelligent than athiests I must protest this abuse of the retarded.

Shawarma
4th February 07, 03:17 AM
I wonder if the "Atheists are smrtar than godders!" thing would stay true if you didn't count the retarded rural hick states where everyone loves God, shotguns and their first cousins.

nihilist
4th February 07, 03:27 AM
The whole point of determining the thing is to count, not exclude the mentally deficient.

nihilist
4th February 07, 03:30 AM
(visual aid)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/373/imagesqo0.jpg

Xioxou
4th February 07, 03:49 PM
You didn't say, "most..." or, "the average..." so your statement is false. I am, after all, a Muslim and tremendously smarter than the majority of human beings, let alone theists or atheists. :)

nihilist
4th February 07, 03:55 PM
How intelligent is a person who follows the teachings of a man who's religious enlightenment was drawn from fasting in the desert until hallucinations set in?

Xioxou
4th February 07, 04:06 PM
Equally as intelligent as the same person should they choose not to. The latter simply stakes their faith earlier on the timeline.

WarPhalange
4th February 07, 04:17 PM
Equally as intelligent as the same person should they choose not to. The latter simply stakes their faith earlier on the timeline.

So you're saying someone who listens to the ramblins of a man on the verge of voluntary starvation is just as smart as someone who doesn't listen to him and instead decides to think for himself on a full stomach?

I think you just proved the whole "atheists > theists" debate.

Shawarma
4th February 07, 04:21 PM
But do YOU have THE LAWD GAWD HISSELF telling you what to do? I think not.

One-nil to theists.

nihilist
4th February 07, 04:32 PM
But do YOU have THE LAWD GAWD HISSELF telling you what to do?

Since I AM MY OWN GOD, then the answer is yes.

Xioxou
4th February 07, 04:32 PM
I'm saying both are equally unable to to arrive at certainty, and equally guilty of folly.

nihilist
4th February 07, 04:35 PM
I'm saying both are equally unable to to arrive at certainty, and equally guilty of folly.

Look up the word "equal".

Stick
4th February 07, 04:38 PM
I have to gete this out there, if God is real and anything like the Judaic religions portray him to be, I will laugh so hard in hell.

I would love to be proved wrong. You have no idea how much it would mean to me if God popped out of the clouds one day and said "hey Chris, I made you in my image and as long as you have faith in me and don't do anything truly woefully vile, you might get an eternity of awesomeness after you die here".

As it stands I have no reason to believe that there is anything beyond the veil but oblivion. Even hell would be better in my mind than simply not existing.

And so, live the one life you have as best you can; altruism, compassion, ethics, & morals are all things a rational human being can embrace in order to make the world a better place. God is in no way required to make a good, law abiding man, and I'm rally sick of people arguing that a world without religion would be lawless and chaotic and evil.

So far a world WITH god has been lawless, chaotic, and evil enough.

Blegh.

Xioxou
4th February 07, 04:39 PM
I'm mainly referring to this particular usage:
2 : regarding or affecting all objects in the same way

Though this would also apply:
3b : not showing variation in appearance, structure, or proportion

AAAhmed46
4th February 07, 04:46 PM
(visual aid)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/373/imagesqo0.jpg

Hahaha thats awsome!

Dagon Akujin
4th February 07, 04:47 PM
Especially when they see you can't spell 'atheist' correctly.

I fail at the internets. :*(

In other news, I think the point they are trying to make is two-fold:

#1: That most X-tians don't have any clue what their own Bible says.

#2: That X-tians should stop forcing their views on others (especially the young), because "atheists" can do that too. If it's "disturbing" when they do it, is it really "super-holy-praise-the-lord-hallelujah" when you do it?

Dagon "fails at spell-check" Akujin

nihilist
4th February 07, 04:50 PM
You might believe that you have a magic swimsuit area. rational people will disagree but they might want to try it, you know, just to see.

nihilist
4th February 07, 04:50 PM
It's called the scientific method.

Xioxou
4th February 07, 04:59 PM
No, that's called experimentation.

In any case, going back far enough, the scientific method cannot be applied. At some point there is no more right or wrong hypothesis and certainly no testable observation.

nihilist
4th February 07, 05:16 PM
Believing that your swimsuit area is magical because your friend told you so when he was on mushrooms VS lack of such belief is not "regarding or affecting all objects in the same way".

nihilist
4th February 07, 05:18 PM
No, that's called experimentation.

In any case, going back far enough, the scientific method cannot be applied. At some point there is no more right or wrong hypothesis and certainly no testable observation.

A magical swimsuit area is self-evident.

Xioxou
4th February 07, 05:38 PM
Fortunately my theology doesn't hinge upon the existence of a magical swimsuit area. However, your reason for supporting a purposed self-evident magical area is empirical. Your analogy doesn't apply here.

What does apply is your (or my) understanding of time. We must assume time is infinite for a myriad of reasons, but we can't be certain it is. Either before or after some time T there is another T in an atheist's understanding. I don't believe that that is necessarily always true.

"I cannot see that you have any better reason for believing the one proposition than for believing the other." - G. E. Moore (in support of infinite time)

Anna Kovacs
4th February 07, 05:45 PM
Luckily rather then things beyond comprehension such as time and the universe we're talking about things that are not above comprehension, they're just silly. I'm not paticularly familiar with the Koran but all those desert relgions are about as dumb as the next.

Xioxou
4th February 07, 05:49 PM
Levels of comprehension are relative. In your case, theism or atheism would rest somewhere between the nature of where water goes after being flushed and the fundamental truth behind fortune cookies.

See, random instults get us no where.

nihilist
4th February 07, 05:50 PM
I didn't necessarily purport the existence of a magical swimsuit area. I only used it as an example of a half-cocked belief.

If indeed the magical swimsuit area did exist, it would of course be eternal and all encompassing.

Anna Kovacs
4th February 07, 05:53 PM
Neither does pontification.

The bottom line is you believe in fairy tales and that makes you silly :)

nihilist
4th February 07, 05:55 PM
Some people know where water goes after being flushed and while it smells just like religion it differs in that it is not merely an assumption from a deluded mind.

nihilist
4th February 07, 05:57 PM
Fortune cookies on the other hand are like religion in that they should be used for entertainment purposes only.

KidSpatula
4th February 07, 05:58 PM
I believe that water goes to heaven when it's flushed :)

Anna Kovacs
4th February 07, 05:59 PM
My poopie goes with it.

nihilist
4th February 07, 06:04 PM
I believe that water goes to heaven when it's flushed :)

Kid/Kats swimsuit areas may well be angelic.

Xioxou
4th February 07, 06:06 PM
Neither does pontification.
So far, only one side of this debate is claiming a superior platform. It can, and will only be, exactly even.

Anna Kovacs
4th February 07, 06:08 PM
It just kind of hit me why I don't like having serious discussion about the validity of someones religion.

Religious people don't seem to understand that for an athiest having this debate is the equivilent of having a debate with someone about the existence of dragons and satyrs. It's just such a no brainer that it's not worth treating seriously.

Anna Kovacs
4th February 07, 06:10 PM
I can claim a superior platform with confidence because to me you're basically insane. I might as well be arguing with the fat goth girl from the psych ward I spent a week in who claimed that demons talked to her at night.

nihilist
4th February 07, 06:12 PM
It takes a greater deal of effort to defend belief in superstition than defending the lack thereof.

KidSpatula
4th February 07, 06:12 PM
It is my understanding that someone who is an adult that believes in a religion is so far gone from reason that it's not even worth debate. Many of the religious people I've talked to will come right out and say they don't believe in logic/science. That basically throws out the whole basis for any sort of debate.

nihilist
4th February 07, 06:14 PM
I can claim a superior platform with confidence because to me you're basically insane. I might as well be arguing with the fat goth girl from the psych ward I spent a week in who claimed that demons talked to her at night.

Well in a philosophical sense, you are.

Stick
4th February 07, 06:18 PM
So far, only one side of this debate is claiming a superior platform. It can, and will only be, exactly even.

And only one said tells the other that it is damned to eternal torment and suffering for not believing in the same thing.

KidSpatula
4th February 07, 06:28 PM
And only one said tells the other that it is damned to eternal torment and suffering for not believing in the same thing.

Yeah but we're calling our opposition irrational and that's just as bad!

nihilist
4th February 07, 06:28 PM
Far be it from me to suggest that believing in magical sky kings is somehow inferior.

WarPhalange
4th February 07, 06:32 PM
But scientists think something came out of nothing too!

See? I read something on science once, and that's what it said! Science is just as irrational!