PDA

View Full Version : Worth political strife?

AAAhmed46
24th January 07, 12:10 AM
Celebrity Big Brother UK update: 'racism' row spills over
Posted Jan 19th 2007 8:42AM by Martin Conaghan
Filed under: Reality, News, Programming, Big Brother (UK)

When I posted about the most recent incarnation of Celebrity Big Brother starting up here in the UK a few weeks ago, I didn't really have any intentions of watching the current series, despite commenting that it might actually be worth watching for once.

The reason for this was largely down to the rag-tag bunch of has-beens and would-bes that the Endemol producers decided would be our entertainment for this year, and having watched the first few shows, I had to resist the urge to dip my head into a vat of boiling porridge, rather than watch any more.

However, a few days ago, things started to get very interesting.

Very interesting indeed...
Now, before I start, I should say that I'm not naive enough to believe that so-called celebrities would be placed into a scenario where they are expected to provide some form of entertainment for almost a full month solid without the producers of the show having given them at least some sort of prompting or preparation on what to do, what to expect and how to react in certain situations.

More importantly, I'm well aware of some of the alleged tactics employed by television producers of reality television shows in their various (and nefarious) attempts to maintain or boost ratings.

I should point out before I go any further that the ratings for this current series of Celebrity Big Brother started off quite promising. However, like me, a substantial number of viewers dropped off the radar after the first few nights, and things were looking very bad indeed.

That is, until a "racism" row broke out in the house which has not only sparked a headline war in the tabloid newspapers here in the UK, but made the top story on BBC News Online -- and reached the upper echelons of the UK and Indian parliaments, eliciting comments from the UK's highest-ranking politicians and provoking serious consternation in India.

It all started when three other female housemates, Jo O'Mera and Danielle Lloyd, led by former ordinary Big Brother contestant (and now a bit of a national institution) Jade Goody started ganging-up on the Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty.

What started out as typical Big Brother behavior was quickly leapt upon by a bored media and somehow transformed into a racism debate -- and the ratings quickly mushroomed as a result. Complaints ensued (the figure started at 10,000 and quickly jumped to 30,000 -- in excess of the record number of complaints for a TV show in UK history).

Then, various ministers from the Indian government jumped on the bandwagon, then the Chancellor of the UK Exchequer, Gordon Brown, contributed to the debate, along with the leader of Her Majesty's Opposition, David Cameron. Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell chipped in her tuppenceworth today too.

Before long, Channel Four were forced into making a statement, and found themselves scrabbling furiously to salvage what was quickly becoming an out-of-control situation.

Today, the show's sponsor, Carphone Warehouse, suspended their advertising arrangement with the show, and the whole situation started to look pretty grim indeed.

And finally, to make matters much worse than they had already been in the past few days, Big Brother spoke directly to Shetty in the Diary Room and the public were informed that the actress does not feel she has been the victim of any kind of racist abuse.

All the while former A-Team member, Dirk Benedict, continues to wander around the house with the cool and calm approach Face Man would have employed if such a storm was wreaking havoc all around him in the early 1980s.

I might just tune in and watch some more of this show before the series is out.

Okay, the political involvement surprises me like crazy.

I think it's blown out of proportion like the Danish cartoons.

Yeah, if you search on Youtube Jade calls whats her face Paki while sitting in bed and called her ''the indian''

but why should BRITAIN apologize? Why should it be a diplomatic affair?

Seems it's just a stupid chick screwing up on T.V.

And thats a bad picture of Shetty, she actually looks hot other times.

Steve
24th January 07, 03:03 AM
Link?

AAAhmed46
24th January 07, 03:39 AM
Oh damn, it's gone.

Well this should explain it.

It got so bad, Indian ministers actually started causes a fuss as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7sqAIPR50c

Steve
24th January 07, 03:59 AM
You know how to embed YouTube clips, right?

/drunk

bob
24th January 07, 04:50 AM
All the while former A-Team member, Dirk Benedict, continues to wander around the house with the cool and calm approach Face Man would have employed if such a storm was wreaking havoc all around him in the early 1980s.

I hate Big Brother with violent passion but if Dirk Benedict were on it, I'd watch it. That's almost as good as Mr T being in the house.

Seraphim
24th January 07, 10:46 AM
I love the way the racism card gets played.

I also hate it for the same reason. There's no reason 2 large nations should give a shit if some chick lost her temper on TV.

AAAhmed46
24th January 07, 12:46 PM
I love the way the racism card gets played.

I also hate it for the same reason. There's no reason 2 large nations should give a shit if some chick lost her temper on TV.

My sentiments exactly.

Judah Maccabee
24th January 07, 09:15 PM
Shilpa Shetty is fokkin hot, dood.

AAAhmed46
25th January 07, 12:56 AM
Yeah. she sure is.

Shawarma
25th January 07, 03:06 PM
There's a woman whose last name is Shetty, and they choose to make fun of her RACE?

Shameful.

AAAhmed46
25th January 07, 05:06 PM
But she's hot.

Steve
26th January 07, 01:26 AM
And that's more reason to make fun of her??

billy sol hurok
26th January 07, 06:37 AM
It is hard to snub a beautiful woman -- they remain beautiful and the rebuke recoils. --Churchill