PDA

View Full Version : Keith Olbermann Responds to President Bush's Speech: Stunning Wrath & Eloquence

Stick
12th January 07, 11:58 PM
Keith Olbermann knows how to rant and make a hell of a point.

This is worth watching to the end, it gets fast and furious in the last few minutes- as though the first few minutes lacked any fury.

Great stuff.

4Lx_E2yzcwg

Good luck indeed.

And while I'm at it, Olbermann's rant on "sacrifice" given a few days before Bush's speech.

zk5hH95VfM4

Sun Wukong
13th January 07, 02:43 AM
Keith makes alot of good points, i'm waiting for the conservative rebuttle though which I'm sure will follow soon. Unless we dirty liberals have run them all off.

WarPhalange
13th January 07, 03:13 AM
If only Bush ever listened to anybody.

I seriously hope they hang him like they hanged Saddam. Even in the same room. Only way to stop the madness at this point.

ThaiBoxerShorts
13th January 07, 04:23 AM
Keith Olbermann is awesome. I stand in awe of his combination of humor, wit, eloquence and righteous indignation every time I watch him.

I've heard unconfirmed rumors that he has a 23-year-old girlfriend, which makes him even more awesome. Especially if she's hot. The Edward R. Murrow of our time deserves no less.

Sun Wukong
13th January 07, 06:01 AM
She's undoubtedly hot, but that's no huge accomplishment if you have your own TV show...

Dagon Akujin
13th January 07, 02:35 PM
Keith Olbermann is awesome.

Only when he's ranting though. Other than that... yawn.

WarPhalange
13th January 07, 03:31 PM
The only reason to have a 23 year old girlfriend when you are sniffing 50 is because she's hot.

The only thing I don't like about his show is the part where they show videos from the internet. He makes it seem like it's something new and wacky, but I've always seen those months ahead of time.

You can't really blame him, though, since the internet it just so much faster than a bunch of people trying to make a show by a deadline. It's always like that, whether it's teh VH1 internet clip thing, or other news stations. They just can't keep up.

Dark Helmet
13th January 07, 07:12 PM
Powerful!However he is a liberal traitor who should go back from where he came from.

Yiktin Voxbane
13th January 07, 09:27 PM
Words of truth , Three thousand dead is Three thousand dead, no matter what garnishes you may see fit to add to this distasteful meal, no matter how many rose colour lenses you may have clouding your vision, Three thousand people have died. Three thousand families are forever changed .

The point made about the detention centres and their cost was staggering, the fact that it includes restaraunts is just.... mind boggling.

Wonder how long Bush has left in office ?

WarPhalange
13th January 07, 09:29 PM
Probably another 6 years.

You know, you can't change commanders during a war and all. (i.e. they'll make an extra term for him for all you non-US people. He really has to quit at this time 2009)

At this point, I'd take President Schwarzenegger over Bush.

ThaiBoxerShorts
13th January 07, 09:37 PM
Words of truth , Three thousand dead is Three thousand dead, no matter what garnishes you may see fit to add to this distasteful meal, no matter how many rose colour lenses you may have clouding your vision, Three thousand people have died. Three thousand families are forever changed.
And that's if you're only counting Americans. Count Iraqis, and it gets worse. Much, much, much worse.

Yiktin Voxbane
13th January 07, 09:52 PM

Trust me, the rest of the world saw this one coming a long while back (Personally I think Bruce Willis would make a better Prez.)

And that's if you're only counting Americans. Count Iraqis, and it gets worse. Much, much, much worse.

You are, of course correct. When the other nationalities start posting here, I will include them .

AAAhmed46
13th January 07, 10:56 PM
Probably another 6 years.

You know, you can't change commanders during a war and all. (i.e. they'll make an extra term for him for all you non-US people. He really has to quit at this time 2009)

I bet he's even more retarded then the current one.

WarPhalange
13th January 07, 11:03 PM
Schwarzenegger at least listens to what people say to him instead of ignoring them.

Olorin
14th January 07, 05:40 AM
If it is the video I remember he lists a bunch of items “yellow cake,” “troop surges,” “Saddam’s hanging,” “Mamma’s Family Reruns,” in rapid succession without providing context to his objections.

All the while, he stares intensely into the camera with his best Edward R. Murrow impression. For God’s sake he even ends with “good night and good luck.” I half expected him to say, “This…is London.”

His crocodile tears bore me…

Sun Wukong
14th January 07, 03:00 PM
If it is the video I remember he lists a bunch of items “yellow cake,” “troop surges,” “Saddam’s hanging,” “Mamma’s Family Reruns,” in rapid succession without providing context to his objections.

All the while, he stares intensely into the camera with his best Edward R. Murrow impression. For God’s sake he even ends with “good night and good luck.” I half expected him to say, “This…is London.”

Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about him either. He has the feel to me that he's a little too scripted. "The good night.." bit kind of bugged me too. He should have at least come up with his own catch phrase, but then again he could merely be trying to pay homage to murrow. Which to me is a noble sentiment, I wish more journalists spent their time trying to be like murrow than trying to act like murrow.

It's a hard flip of the coin for me.

WarPhalange
14th January 07, 03:02 PM
He always says "Good night and good luck" at the end of his shows.

Olorin
15th January 07, 04:09 AM
He should have at least come up with his own catch phrase, but then again he could merely be trying to pay homage to Murrow. Which to me is a noble sentiment, I wish more journalists spent them time try to be like Murrow than trying to act like Murrow.

I you like Murrow, You should check out “The Murrow Boys: Pioneers on the Front Lines of Broadcast Journalism” by Stanley Cloud and Lynne Olson.

It’s a sweet book…

http://www.amazon.com/Murrow-Boys-Pioneers-Broadcast-Journalism/dp/0395877539/sr=1-1/qid=1168852104/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0829344-6957509?ie=UTF8&s=books

kungfujew
15th January 07, 02:25 PM

I'm sorry that someone in the media actually growing what could in fact be a spine is so mindnumbingly boring to some out there.
The rapid list he gives are the endless parade of exuses, catch-phrases, and pentagon marketing department bullshit that has been trotted out over the years to scare, manipulate, and lie to the populace. Oh, and here's some context for his objections:
3020 US dead
50,000+ Iraqi dead
Civil war in full swing
Ethnic death squads
Tens of thousands of maimed, many limbless US troops
The emptying of the US treasury
Colossal debt heaped up on MY and everyone else under 50's doorstep
I could go on, but I have a burrito waiting for me.

Sun Wukong
15th January 07, 02:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, I agree with Olberman's points, but I'm worried that I agree with them too much... does that make sense?

At least he's better at his job, or any job speaking publicly, than Tucker Carlson. I don't usually watch MSNBC just because of TC... reminds me too much of Hannity and O'Reilly. Anyone who'd put that fool on TV needs to be dragged through the street. Which leads me to question Olberman's motivations or at least MSNBC's motivation.

Wait a second... What the fuck is up with Irish pundits anywya?

Shawarma
15th January 07, 02:45 PM
The war in Iraq has now cost more American lives than the WTC attacks did.

I'm not making any kind of point, I just wonder why the anti-bushers haven't picked up on this fact and used it for propaganda.

Olorin
15th January 07, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry that someone in the media actually growing what could in fact be a spine is so mindnumbingly boring to some out there.

I said that his crocodile tears bore me, not the fact that he finally grew a spine.

The rapid list he gives are the endless parade of excuses, catch-phrases, and pentagon marketing department bullshit that has been trotted out over the years to scare, manipulate, and lie to the populace.

That’s what you do in wars. It’s not exactly new.

In fact this country was founded on the lie that the British were trying to economically enslave the colonies through taxes, trade restrictions, etc. In World War I, we were told that we were going to “make the world safe for democracy,” and that it would be the last war…ever!

FDR told the people that the goal of WWII was to secure the Four Freedoms.

1. Freedom of speech and expression (everywhere in the world)
2. Religious freedom (again, everywhere in the world)
3. Freedom from want.
4. And finally, freedom from fear.

Now these things sound like “catch phrases, and pentagon marketing department bullshit.” My point is that all governments try to put its best spin on its war efforts. Do you truly expect them to publicize a negative appraisal of an ongoing war effort?

I could go on.

How is your list any different than the catch phrases you seem to despise? Both are catch phrases, both are propaganda designed to sway people’s opinion. And neither try to accurately reflect reality. Is the only difference the fact that you agree with one set half-truths, while despising the other?

but I have a burrito waiting for me.

Was it any good? I cannot find a decent microwave burrito.

Stick
15th January 07, 09:56 PM
That is because no such thing exists.

The list is significant, especially when you consider that each followed the last because the last failed miserably.

Were there any ties between Saddam and 9-11? No... well shit, uh, he must have WMD! What, what do you mean there's no WMD?! Alright, fine, we did it to secure democracy for Iraqis, and mission a-fucking-ccomplished! Sectarian civil war... you have to be fucking joking! Alright, alright, alright let me think....

Also, just because propaganda, slogans, and PR are nothing new doesn't mean I have to swallow them like a bitter pill and get over it.

This "surge" is a pathetic idea, and again we- the public- are told that it only seems that way because we don't know what the insiders- intel, policy makers, military (though oddly military folks don't think this is a good idea either)- know. Seeing as this is the same line we were fed about WMD I am sure you can understand my reluctance to buy it again.

I swallowed the administration's line about WMD and the need to fight the terrorists there before they come here; absolutely nothing we've found in Iraq has lead anyone to believe that we prevented WMD production/proliferation or curbed international terrorism- fuck, we’ve made it worse by wasting valuable resources on a country not building nukes while Iran and NK have been busy little beavers, and we've given millions if not billions of people even more reason to hate us and sympathize with those who would fly planes into our buildings.

Bush is the definition of failure. History will not be kind to him.

Olorin
15th January 07, 09:59 PM
However, my point in jumping into this tread was to point out that this journalist is simply impersonating Edward Murrow. Its not that he reminds me of Murrow, its that he is actively trying to replicate Murrows delivery, speech, camera angles, and catch phrases.

I really think he is going home, watching tapes of Murrow, and practicing in a mirror.

What he said does not practically bother me, I have heard it all before, its how he said it that I find interesting.

Stick
15th January 07, 10:05 PM
I admit I found the "good night and good luck" line to be a bit much.

Olorin
15th January 07, 10:09 PM
I admit I found the "good night and good luck" line to be a bit much.

That’s what made me realize what he was doing. I watch Obb sometimes and had not noticed the Murrow impression before.