PDA

View Full Version : Afro Samurai

Steve
5th January 07, 12:07 AM
SAMUELL JACKSON
AFRO SAMURAI

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/afrosamurai.jpgJanuary 2, 2007 - Banking on an unknown creator, Takashi Okazaki, SPIKE TV has decided to take a chance and back this ambitious five-episode anime project. Although it may seem risky to back a show that costs one million dollars per episode, SPIKE has decided that Afro Samurai has what it takes to stand out from the crowd. The main reasons for their confidence in this series would be the show's hip-hop action style and of course lead voice actor and executive producer Samuel L. Jackson. Samuel L. is a large portion of the program as he not only takes care of the show from behind the scenes, but he also voices two of the show's main characters: Afro Samurai and Ninja Ninja. Other notable names attached to Afro Samurai are Kelly Hu (Okiku) and Ron Perlman (Justice) who excellently add personality to their characters. So with all the top-notch voice acting from big name actors and the show's cool action-packed style there is no doubt as to why SPIKE TV decided that Afro Samurai was worthy of their network's new motto: Get More Action.

As mentioned Afro Samurai is split into five parts, which air every Thursday night at 11:00pm ET/PT. This week we get to watch the first part of the series in "Episode 1." And while the show doesn't have original names for their episodes or a convoluted plotline (like many other anime programs out there), the show definitely fits in with the classic style of Japanese-inspired animation that we have gotten used to. In this week's episode we watch as Afro sees his father die in front of him as a child, only to end up training to become a samurai worthy of seeking revenge against the villainous Justice. Along the way Afro encounters other fighters who yearn for his title of #2 - who are willing to lay their lives on the line for this title. While this story may not be all that deep, what is there is more than enough to keep us interested, as we want to see Afro Samurai get his revenge.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/episode-1-20070101044636766.jpg
1 on 20 - and yet the odds are in Afro's favor.

If you are a fan of large complicated stories in your programming, Afro Samurai's plot may not hook you, but there is definitely enough (other than the story) to capture your attention. First off the look of the show is gorgeous - and with the estimated million dollar price tag per episode it should be! Secondly the voice actors do a great job giving the characters personality, even in the first half-hour. Thirdly the action is an adrenaline rush, as it is super-stylized and worthy of the anime form which it is animated in. And finally those cautious of the show should give it a chance for the music, which is all composed by The Wu-Tang Clan's RZA. The RZA's hip-hop styled music gives a fresh feeling to the show which makes the action seem even more dramatic - much like Cowboy Bebop did with jazz, rock and blues music in their program.

But even though we are big fans of a lot that the Afro Samurai creators brought to the show, we had a couple of problems with "Episode 1." As we mentioned earlier the storyline was a little dry for our liking, as it's really just a revenge plot with lots of action thrown in along the way. While seeking revenge is a normal plotline in anime programs and works for the series, it's still an unoriginal concept. Additionally, the character's dialogue leaves a bit to be desired. While the voice acting was very good, a lot of the lines the actors were forced to utter were not. This problem probably won't be remedied along the course of the five episodes, and that's too bad. And the last problem that we had with the episode was the cliffhanger ending. Sure, anime programs are known for stringing along an audience with unfinished storylines at the end of their episodes (Dragonball Z, we're looking at you), but we were hoping for more of an end to the first episode. We know that we will be back next week to check out the fate of Afro, but it would be nice if the show could have been sectioned off to look less like a two-hour movie that got chopped into five pieces.

With these minor problems with the series aside, we were quite fond of this new show. Hopefully Afro Samurai will garner the attention and ratings necessary to create a longer running series than the five episodes they are starting with. If not we can all enjoy the possibility of an Afro Samurai videogame, movie and other cross-promotional mediums that will make Afro a large property in the near future.

For those of you that can't wait for Thursday, check out the first episode for free over at SPIKE TV's website (http://www.spiketv.com/mods/afro/player/index.jhtml).

I'm gonna be watching (if I don't just go ahead and watch it now on Spike's website), anyone else?

Links:

http://tv.ign.com/articles/752/752802p1.html

Official Site. (http://www.afrosamurai.com/)

Prerview clip:

sJjj1XiwFPA

WarPhalange
5th January 07, 12:56 AM
Blazing Saddles Goes To Japan!

DAYoung
5th January 07, 01:00 AM
The first ep. can't be viewed in Australia.

Steve
5th January 07, 01:01 AM
LAME.

DAYoung
5th January 07, 01:08 AM
Yeah, that's where I went to. Crappy.

And to think, we joined TEH WARZ ON TERROSISME.

Steve
5th January 07, 01:10 AM
Sucker.

Er... I mean sorry.

Steve
5th January 07, 04:05 AM
Episode ended with a cliff hanger.

Haw, I'm funny.

Since Afro fell off a cliff at the end.

DAYoung
5th January 07, 04:17 AM
Stop taunting me.

By the way, when did you become staff?

Steve
5th January 07, 04:37 AM
That is the question...

Seriously, I just try and keep things on track (as the moderater I am) and fortunately Phrost approves.

He gave me the tag 2 days ago, and I can dig it.

DAYoung
5th January 07, 04:47 AM
Cool.

As if you didn't have enough to manage during the day!

Steve
5th January 07, 04:51 AM
You know it!

bad credit
5th January 07, 06:33 AM
The animation was terrible; the way the characters moved wasn't even remotely realistic. There was also so much going on with the clothes and blade sparks effects that it was almost impossible to follow with the eye what was happening. The story was juvenile, too.

What the fuck is with Japanese anime trying to be hip hop now? This shit reminds me of Samurai Champloo, only worse.

My review? Total crap.

Steve
5th January 07, 10:11 AM
You no like Samurai Champloo????

*flips the bird and walks away*

MaverickZ
5th January 07, 10:51 AM
Samurai Champloo is leaps and bounds beyond this shitheap called Afro Samurai.

Seraphim
5th January 07, 11:44 AM
I enjoyed the art style, but I don't feel it was worth 1 million damn dolllars.

Whats a black man doing in feudal Japan anyway?

Mr. Jones
5th January 07, 12:58 PM
Blazing Saddles Goes To Japan!

WRONG!

Mr. Jones
5th January 07, 12:59 PM
Samurai Champloo is leaps and bounds beyond this shitheap called Afro Samurai.

Shut up you're mean.

Mr. Jones
5th January 07, 01:00 PM
I really enjoy the show and I can't wait for the next episode.

KidSpatula
5th January 07, 01:57 PM
You're only saying that because you're black. I give this show one and a half yams.

Seraphim
5th January 07, 02:21 PM
You're only saying that because you're black. I give this show one and a half yams.

I considered saying that. However, I enjoyed the preview so by the same logic..I to am must be black.

So I though against it. :P

Steve
5th January 07, 03:12 PM
I to am must be black.

Dude, you're even starting to sound like Mr. Jones...

Sirc
5th January 07, 04:05 PM

That's harsh man.

Seraphim
5th January 07, 04:23 PM

Long day at the office.

Mr. Jones
5th January 07, 04:49 PM
I would like to see the "Hmong Swordsman" come out one day.

Mr. Jones
5th January 07, 04:51 PM
Long day at the office.

Don't worry you're a long way off from being like me. Sirc and me pretty much have the same posting style no one else comes close.

Seraphim
5th January 07, 04:53 PM
Don't worry you're a long way off from being like me. Sirc and me pretty much have the same posting style no one else comes close.

I almost feel bad about giving you all that neg rep. Especially considering how you take it all in stride.

Odacon
5th January 07, 05:15 PM
Derivative junk.

Seraphim
5th January 07, 05:28 PM
Back to my original question:

What's a brother doing in feudal Japan?

Mr. Jones
5th January 07, 08:55 PM
Back to my original question:

What's a brother doing in feudal Japan?

It's a fictional setting. So it's probably not even on earth as we know it.

Steve
5th January 07, 11:32 PM
That's harsh man.

Sometimes you just can't pull the punches.

MaverickZ
6th January 07, 12:53 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else think that the afro samurai was the boondocks kid all grown up?

Sirc
6th January 07, 01:11 PM

Um... no. We obviously don't seeing as you're a stupid shit who posts stupid shit because of the way you are (you know, being black and all) and I post stupid shit PURPOSEFULLY to get shitfucks like you to get all riled up. Not only that, my vocabulary > yours, stupid.

Seraphim
6th January 07, 01:38 PM
Um... no. We obviously don't seeing as you're a stupid shit who posts stupid shit because of the way you are (you know, being black and all) and I post stupid shit PURPOSEFULLY to get shitfucks like you to get all riled up. Not only that, my vocabulary > yours, stupid.

As much as I think you are a faggot, I agree with your post.

Shawarma
6th January 07, 01:44 PM
Is it just me or did anyone else think that the afro samurai was the boondocks kid all grown up?
Certainly needed a cameo from the Blind Nigga Samurai.

Mr. Jones
6th January 07, 02:27 PM

Keep lying to yourself Sirc. You and I are one and the same. Let us combine our powers and usher in a new age of shit threads on bullshido.

Cassius
7th January 07, 12:48 AM
My roommate and I watched this tonight. It was . . . interesting. Mostly nonsense, but I'm all for senseless violence that doesn't pretend to have a major plot.

Steve
7th January 07, 12:58 AM
My roommate and I watched this tonight. It was . . . interesting. Mostly nonsense, but I'm all for senseless violence that doesn't pretend to have a major plot.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way.

I was let down by it, but I'll still watch it. It's only 5 episodes after all.

Cassius
7th January 07, 01:29 AM
I came in with really low expectations because of this thread, and the fact that I hate Anime.

Steve
7th January 07, 01:43 AM
It's always best to start something with low expectations, IMO.

I didn't know what to expect.

bob
7th January 07, 01:44 AM

I'd rep Mr Jones for this first class troll but he seems to be working towards a different goal.

Sirc
7th January 07, 03:31 AM
Keep lying to yourself Sirc. You and I are one and the same. Let us combine our powers and usher in a new age of shit threads on bullshido.

http://www.smiliesftw.com/big/rollbarf23.gif

This is the only thing I can reply with to convey everything I feel, knee grow.

Steve
7th January 07, 04:01 AM
I'm the escaping one.

Steve
11th January 07, 10:43 PM
I guess I'll be tuning in for the second episode... Tonight at 11pm.

Cassius
13th January 07, 06:19 PM
I guess I'll be tuning in for the second episode... Tonight at 11pm.Not nearly as much killing, but still not bad. Worth watching, at least.

jubei33
13th January 07, 07:17 PM
reminds me of something I saw a while ago.... ah yes
http://ia.ec.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/18/42/26m.jpg
or maybe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/Poster_black_belt_jones.gif

But at any rate, I'll look for it.

Steve
14th January 07, 03:09 AM
Not nearly as much killing, but still not bad. Worth watching, at least.

Cool.

My girlfriend ended up getting top billing that evening so I missed it.