PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Balboa

OZZ
24th December 06, 03:59 PM
So, I am almost ashamed to admit I went to see this the other day. But, I am an old school boxing fan and hey, I did ,so what the hell..
Anyways, better than the last installment (which isn't saying much) but still a pretty lame movie. Stallone tries too hard to capture the sort of heartwrencihng moments he was able to create in the original Rocky..but to no avail. The film seems almost to be a parody of itself and the Rocky character. There are not a lot of scenes with Rocky bare chested and there is a good reason for it. But Stallone is still in tremendous shape for a man his age.
At the very least , though, this film makes a better final installment than the disaster that was Rocky5.
After all is said and done..Rocky is a lovable character and Stallone at least maintains that much in the film - if achieving nothing else.
My advice: wait for the dvd release. Or you can go to a cheap matinee like I did - which probably costs less than it will to rent the film when it becomes available.

ICY
24th December 06, 10:19 PM
I thought it was OK, not as cheesy as I expected.

ThaiBoxerShorts
24th December 06, 10:36 PM
They should've ended the series at II. Rocky didn't win the title in the first one, so we had to see him do that in II. After that, though, it was all downhill. III and IV were somewhat entertaining but a little too cartoonish. Mr. T was a bit silly, and Dolph Lundgren seemed too much like a Bond villain henchman to take seriously as a boxer. V was just plain bad. I haven't seen this one yet, but I'm planning on waiting for the DVD.

ICY
24th December 06, 11:19 PM
I've never seen any of the other ones, but I think this one stands alright on its own.

AAAhmed46
25th December 06, 12:29 AM
I liked it. But it was rushed so it was hard to really feel the passion in this movie.

I liked how paulie admitted in his drunken rage that he treated Adrian like junk.

Steve
25th December 06, 12:33 AM
spoiler and /spoiler

How do spoiler tags.

ICY
25th December 06, 12:51 AM
I have to admit, I downloaded it and basically skipped everything but the scenes that had to do with boxing. It was better that way, IMO. Somebody should do that to all the Rocky movies. Edit out everything no one cares about.

ThaiBoxerShorts
25th December 06, 01:09 AM
Rocky IV, despite being the second-worst movie in the series, arguably had the best boxing scenes.

Because they were actually real. Real enough that Stallone reportedly required medical attention after they were filmed.

Robot Jesus
25th December 06, 04:23 AM
Apparently he required med attention after this one

WarPhalange
25th December 06, 08:07 PM
Someone kicked his ass for making it? Good.

Steve
25th December 06, 09:45 PM
Someone kicked his ass for making it? Good.

lol.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Poop Loops again.

Well, I tried...

DAYoung
25th December 06, 10:11 PM
Whew. Christmas is over.

Not bad this year.

Steve
25th December 06, 10:17 PM
Yeah, my Chrismas is over too.

Back home, safe and sound. No family to muck around with either, so the actual event at my mum's place was good.

AAAhmed46
26th December 06, 01:25 AM
It wasn't so bad guys, it's better then i dont know...spider-man.

*waits for the feces*

ThaiBoxerShorts
26th December 06, 02:39 AM
Spider-Man could totally kick Rocky's ass. He has superpowers and stuff.

DAYoung
26th December 06, 03:07 AM
But Spiderman's not real.

Steve
26th December 06, 03:37 AM
And Rocky has actually fought in the ring.

None of that 'in teh st34t' crap.

DAYoung
26th December 06, 03:49 AM
Are you suggesting that Rocky Balboa was a homosexual?

And at Christmas, too.

Shame on you, Steve.

Steve
26th December 06, 04:07 AM
Sorry.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/rockyxmas.jpg

Merry Christmas, Rocky.

DAYoung
26th December 06, 04:35 AM
Yo, yo, yo.

Cormoran
2nd January 07, 06:34 AM
I thought it was ok.

The music score and direction in the last fight was awesome, made it feel really epic. Though it wasn't awesome enough to not miss the lack of busted up looking faces. after ten rounds i want a 'cut me!' scene.

This might be personal preference, but i felt let down by the lack of a KO. I'd even have been happy if rocky got KOed.

Some bits that were meant to have feeling didn't come off quite right, the last few words of rockys speech to the sports board guys who didn't let him fight made me laugh, he just sounded really dumb.

Finally not enough training scenes, just a short sports training montage right before the match at the end.

Also, i'm not familiar with boxing rules.

i noted that rocky had a draw on his fight stats, yet in the movie dixon won on points? how can rocky have a draw if it gets decided on points after the fight? or was this a rule that changed in between the rocky movies?

Artful Dentures
3rd January 07, 08:04 AM
Good movie, not great but relatively realistic - sort of

I thought how they had Dixon break his hand to make the fight competative was clever and made sense

Zendetta
3rd January 07, 08:07 PM
Because they were actually real. Real enough that Stallone reportedly required medical attention after they were filmed.

What I heard was that T was going too easy on him, and Sly wanted it to look more real so he started egging him on. I think the term he used rhymed with "trigger".

I truly do pity the fool who uses a racial slur against Mr. T.

AAAhmed46
4th January 07, 02:01 AM
Good movie, not great but relatively realistic - sort of

I thought how they had Dixon break his hand to make the fight competative was clever and made sense

I liked that too.

Stick
7th January 07, 02:51 AM
What I heard was that T was going too easy on him, and Sly wanted it to look more real so he started egging him on. I think the term he used rhymed with "trigger".

I truly do pity the fool who uses a racial slur against Mr. T.

He needed medical attention during Rocky IV against Dolph "Ivan Drago" Lundgren, not against Mr. T. Dolph Lundgren is a large, capable martial artist (compared to other action stars), not a short angry man.

Steve
7th January 07, 02:56 AM
Fo shizzle. Dolph's got a master's degree in chemical engineering and is an accomplished black belt in Kyokushin.

If I remember correctly.

DAYoung
7th January 07, 06:58 AM
Fo shizzle. Dolph's got a master's degree in chemical engineering and is an accomplished black belt in Kyokushin.

If I remember correctly.

Dolph Lundgren is 195 cm (6 ft 5 in) and weighs approximately 107 kg (237 lb). He speaks four languages: Swedish, English, German and partly French. He holds a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Kyokushin Karate and won the European full-contact karate championships in 1980 and 1981 and a heavyweight tournament in Australia in 1982 ...He was also a member of the Swedish Kyokushin Karate knockdown team for the 1979 World Open Tournament arranged by the Kyokushin Karate Organization. - http://www.answers.com/topic/dolph-lundgren

it also mentions he won a Fulbright Scholarship to MIT (shows he's no idiot), and was educated at the University of Sydney.

Lights Out
9th January 07, 03:53 AM
Dolph Lundgren is 195 cm (6 ft 5 in) and weighs approximately 107 kg (237 lb). He speaks four languages: Swedish, English, German and partly French. He holds a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Kyokushin Karate and won the European full-contact karate championships in 1980 and 1981 and a heavyweight tournament in Australia in 1982 ...He was also a member of the Swedish Kyokushin Karate knockdown team for the 1979 World Open Tournament arranged by the Kyokushin Karate Organization. - http://www.answers.com/topic/dolph-lundgren

it also mentions he won a Fulbright Scholarship to MIT (shows he's no idiot), and was educated at the University of Sydney.

Shame he can't act for shit...

Oh well, nobody's perfect.

DAYoung
9th January 07, 04:24 AM
I think he's an exceptional actor. I loved him in Hamlet.

Oh wait. That was Kenneth Branagh.

jill666
9th January 07, 08:12 AM
I think he's an exceptional actor. I loved him in Hamlet.

Oh wait. That was Kenneth Branagh.

See, if you'd said Mel Gibson that might have been funny.

Shawarma
9th January 07, 08:15 AM
Nah, Mel Gibson never played Hamlet. He was great in Fiddler on the Roof though.

jill666
9th January 07, 12:06 PM
Now THAT was freakin' funny.

Actually he did play the Dane opposite Helena Bonham-Carter. It was a little strange.

DAYoung
9th January 07, 07:30 PM
See, if you'd said Mel Gibson that might have been funny.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/816622/2/istockphoto_816622_cute_eagle.jpg

Judah Maccabee
18th January 07, 10:59 PM
He was goofy in Johnny Mnemonic (Lundgren), but apparently, they filmed some awesome scenes with him doing speeches and revivals and stuff, but that got cut out to avoid offending the religious right in America.