PDA

View Full Version : Review: Iraq For Sale, The War Profiteers - the movie

patfromlogan
7th December 06, 12:10 PM
Much of this many of us know to a degree, but not to the extent that this movie shows in such specific detail; horrifyng disgusting details. And they are given in a dry, calm mater-of-fact manner, Unlike Fahrenheit 9/11, director Robert Greenwald doesn't slam dunk his opinions. His movie is responsibly objective, and nonpartisan. He lets other do the talking, or in several places the crying. One image that haunts me is the water safety guy who, in testing the wash water in Iraq used by US troops, found most of it contaminated with parasites. He breaks down crying while he's talking about the diseases and parasites that the troops will be taking back to America, unknowing and unwitting dupes to corporate greed. When he breaks down on camera weeping that "I went over there to help them,"
Jesus H Fking Christ, if that doesn't move you...

ps I had omebic dysentery in Vietnam and in Mexico and later giardia, so maybe it moves me more than some. Some people will have no idea of he pain suffered. Like right now my buddy who went around the world has a gut aches and has lost weight and the drs can't even figgure out what it is. But it's the same old story: Agent Orange, Gulf War Disease, Down Winders.

a quote that sez it better than I:
"In ďIraq for Sale: The War Profiteers,Ē Mr. Greenwald compiles a horrifying catalog of greed, corruption and incompetence among private contractors in Iraq, focusing primarily on Halliburton, Blackwater Security Consulting and CACI International. Leading off with the infamous torture and murder of four Blackwater employees in Falluja in 2004 ó men whose families contend were callously placed in harmís way ó the movie goes on to trace connections between the contractors and the Republican Party, assert the buying of influence and explore what it says are questionable accounting systems that encourage exorbitant waste of taxpayer money. And thatís just the first 30 minutes."

The degree of coruption is amazing. The future of our nation is at risk. At the end of the dvd the director and staff are seen making endless calls to Haliburton, Kellogg Brown & Root, CACI, and Blackwater. And gets nowhere. I'd have added this comment:

The stock prices for corporations rose with the smoke from the car bombs: Lockheed Martin up from $52 to $75 between July 2003 and July 2006;
over the span of the same three years, Boeing up from $33 to $77;
ExxonMobil up from $36 to $65;
Chevron up from $36 to $66;
Halliburton up from $22 to $74;"
-Lewis Lapham, from his editorial in the September, 2006 issue of Harper's.

http://iraqforsale.org/reviews.php has all the reviews linked. The abc link is good.

patfromlogan
17th January 07, 09:15 PM
No responses at all? No one saw this video? Oh well...
http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd3815/wicklow-mountains-sheep-58.3.jpg

WarPhalange
18th January 07, 01:12 AM
Who cares if the stock prices are going up? The dollar is going down. Maybe not at the same rate, but all it means that all other businesses are getting hurt.

Quikfeet509
18th January 07, 03:24 PM
I'd chime in Pat but this movie is still in my damn movie rental queue [long wait]. Hopefully it will come in before it is outlawed.

Quikfeet509
12th March 07, 11:04 PM
This movie should piss just about everyone off...unless they don't give a fuck about their pocketbooks or those in the military. My best friend passed on the opportunity to watch it when he was on leave from Afganville, so it sat in my player for a week before I got around to watching it. Glad he didn't have to see it.

What is even more pathetic is that right now on the news I am seeing about Halliburton's move in order to MAKE MORE FUCKING MONEY!

Time to start shooting people. These assclowns are worthless but what is even more sad is that nobody really gives a fuck that they companies like Halliburton just raped the taxpayers. And if there was a fucking god, Penis Cheney would have a stroke right this fucking minute.

DAYoung
13th March 07, 03:25 AM
I think the Iraq war is entrepreneurial.

You communists mightn't agree, but then YOU NEED MONEY TO FINANCE YOUR LATTE AND CHARDONNAY.

Maybe you should all live in Stalinist Russia.

Quikfeet509
13th March 07, 11:07 AM
I think the Iraq war is entrepreneurial.

You communists mightn't agree, but then YOU NEED MONEY TO FINANCE YOUR LATTE AND CHARDONNAY.

Maybe you should all live in Stalinist Russia.

We would require much less to finance the war in Iraq if contractors like Halliburton weren't getting open-ended contracts, no-bid contracts, or no-competition contracts. It really doesn't make much sense to pay a company so much money that they can hire contractors to perform the same infrastructure jobs that people in the military do at 3-4X the pay rate of the soldiers. My best friend is a captain in the army. He told me that some of the people in Afganville that serve him food make as much as he does.

If the military had a bigger budget - which would still be cheaper than paying the contracting companies - then they could pay more and have better retention of qualified people. There would even be money left over for everyone to get a daily latte.

Fuck chardonnay.

I recall reading something that stated that conservatives drink more chardonnay, lattes, and brie than liberals...

DAYoung
13th March 07, 04:13 PM
So now you're against the free market.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST DIG UP KEYNES AND SEND HIM TO IRAQ, HIPPY.

Quikfeet509
13th March 07, 04:49 PM
So now you're against the free market.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD JUST DIG UP KEYNES AND SEND HIM TO IRAQ, HIPPY.

I know you are just taking a piss (I think that means what I think it does), but giving Halliburton no-bid and no-competition contracts violates the free market...but it makes some people a lot of money.

But since I'm a hippy, I'm more supportive of "fair trade".

Keynes is reference to Keynesian economic theory, right? I thought that had more to do with the government employing people during a recession and then cutting back federal aid when the economy heats up...

DAYoung
13th March 07, 04:59 PM
Stop nitpicking.

As Jefferson said: "Nitpickers, however truthful, are the enemies of freedom."

Quikfeet509
13th March 07, 05:04 PM
Stop nitpicking.

As Jefferson said: "Nitpickers, however truthful, are the enemies of freedom."

Wow. If Jefferson was alive today, he'd probably have his own show on Fox News.

Wait, that's not true. He's too qualified.

DAYoung
13th March 07, 05:06 PM
I wish that quote were real.

Imagine the applications.

I mean, it alone would keep the Republicans in power for a generation.