PDA

View Full Version : 6 Minutes of IEDs; What Does it do to Your Will to Fight?

Stick
5th December 06, 06:56 PM
"Hearts and minds", that, apparently, is what America has to win in the WoT.

What do the terrorists have to win? Our hearts and minds are pretty much out of their reach, so what do they go for?

The will to fight, that's what they have to break. It was broken in Vietnam, it'll probably break here.

Back in the 60's American confidence and patriotic fervor was undermined by the news in print and on one of 4 or 5 TV channels; now, now the enemy itself can pump its propaganda into American homes with no interference from pesky journalist middle-men. Today, America's enemies can reach out and scare the American voter with youtube and google video. Middle-class soccer-moms can get chain mailed images, videos, and slogans from any AK47 owning bomb-builder with a modem.

Here's a posting by someone called arabiaa on youtube.

Americans Must see

not me who kill them so dont say to me what you to say to them ,I want show Americans what Happening in real iraq ,,all this Soldiers Died Because Bush want Oil wells and helping isreal

سنخوض معارك لامعهـم وسنمضي جموعا نردعهم
ونعــيد الحـق المغتصــب وبــكل القـــوة ندفعــــــــهم
بسـلاح الحـق البتــــاري سنحــــرر ارض الاحــــــــرار
ونعيـد الطهر الي القدس من بعد الــــذل وذا العــاري
وسنمضي ندك معاقلهم بـــــــــدوي دام يقلقـــــهم
وسنمحـوا العـار بايديــنا وبكــــل القــــوة نردعــــهم
لـن نرضى بجـزء محتـــلا لـــن نتـــرك شـــبرا لــــذل
ستمـور الارض وتحرقهم فـي الارض براكـين تغلـي

http://iraqirabita.org
http://www.iraqirabita.org/...

This old video ,there other but looks dont Allowed ...

Ox_p5-7e6CE

Now, to me, it's pretty clear that this video will negativly affect the morale of a good portion of American voters; We haven't trusted our government for decades, bombs are scary, how many young men and women died in that video, maybe it is all about the oil?!

For me, it's sad to think of how many deaths and mutilations there are in this video. It's depressing to think of young men and women coming home missing parts or simply in a box. This does not however evoke a desire to retreat, this makes me mad. This video makes me want Zarqawi dead.... which he is, so damn.

If the American idea of "shock and awe" failed to intimidate the guys making IEDs and putting videos up on the internet now, what the hell makes them think that their home brewed shrapnel bombs are going to scare us into submission? Seriously, these guys weren't impressed by thousand pound bunker busters and smart bombs, why the hell should I be impressed by a pipe bomb wrapped in nails?

How does this affect you?

ICY
5th December 06, 07:02 PM
Why is there no "Makes me want to join the freedom fighters" option?

Stick
5th December 06, 07:04 PM
Didn't occur to me, but I'll notify NSA of your preference.

Shawarma
5th December 06, 07:28 PM
Angers me. Both because it's an exceptionally cowardly and impersonal way of fighting your enemy, but also because the American army is being pressured by such bitch-tactics to the point where the secretary of defense publicly states that the US isn't winning. Dammit, it should not be possible for the US army to lose to these people, popular insurgency or not. I will be intensely pissed off if the Americans leave in anything vaguely resembling defeat.

To answer your questions: The rebels aren't too clever, don't understand the psychology of their enemy and thus don't have very effective means of propagandizing. Americans don't watch Al-Jazeera either, so just getting their message *unedited* to the common American is difficult. As it is now, you have to either open your badly spelled spam promising visions of slaughter rather than just deleting it and actively type in "IED Attacks" in the youtube search engine. So no, these videos don't have much of an impact on the American public. They're excellent as recruiting tools, though.

The most chilling clip is the one with the red arrow pointing to the IED. There's something pretty horrible about watching unsuspecting people drive right into their doom. But doesn't it look like there were a few civilian vehicles that got zapped too?

Cracky should join the freedom fighters. He'd get to play the starring role in one of those youtube videos very quickly.

ICY
5th December 06, 07:41 PM
Didn't occur to me, but I'll notify NSA of your preference.

*Dons tinfoil hat*

*Hides in basement*

Osiris
5th December 06, 08:38 PM
These particular vids don't affect me at all. And lets not get confused. The will to fight isn't the issue here. The issue here is American will to watch OTHER PEOPLE fight.

WarPhalange
5th December 06, 09:48 PM
Angers me. Both because it's an exceptionally cowardly and impersonal way of fighting your enemy, but also because the American army is being pressured by such bitch-tactics to the point where the secretary of defense publicly states that the US isn't winning. Dammit, it should not be possible for the US army to lose to these people, popular insurgency or not. I will be intensely pissed off if the Americans leave in anything vaguely resembling defeat.

To answer your questions: The rebels aren't too clever, don't understand the psychology of their enemy and thus don't have very effective means of propagandizing. Americans don't watch Al-Jazeera either, so just getting their message *unedited* to the common American is difficult. As it is now, you have to either open your badly spelled spam promising visions of slaughter rather than just deleting it and actively type in "IED Attacks" in the youtube search engine. So no, these videos don't have much of an impact on the American public. They're excellent as recruiting tools, though.

The most chilling clip is the one with the red arrow pointing to the IED. There's something pretty horrible about watching unsuspecting people drive right into their doom. But doesn't it look like there were a few civilian vehicles that got zapped too?

Cracky should join the freedom fighters. He'd get to play the starring role in one of those youtube videos very quickly.

This is why we're going to lose. "Dem rag heads be stoopid! How we not bork their heads!?"

They know more than you think. That's why we're losing a war that we "planned" for and they didn't.

American arrogance is going to cost us the war. It's what started the war in the first place. No, no, I don't mean 9/11 and Afghanistan. I mean this shit we're in now.

Steve
6th December 06, 01:22 AM
Unfortunately, the vid doesn't change my views on anything about the WoT.

The war is just plain stupidity and as Poop Loops said, the American administration is retarded to think that we could possibly change the minds of a totally different culture. Esp while thinking that they wouldn't try (and succeed) to defend themselves any way they could.

DAYoung
6th December 06, 03:53 AM
Pathetic and disgusting. It's like the Marquis de Sade's writings: there's the initial shock of the rawness, and then the sad tedium of one violent debasement after another. It takes a certain kind of sickness to find this stuff enlivening - it doesn't say much for the mindset of the Iraqi fighters, or their sympathisers. Perhaps soldiers get off on this - I certainly don't.

As for its political significance: absolutely nothing. It might affect American morale, but I doubt it. They either feel the losses and injuries of their troops, or they don't. If anything, this'll just piss them off, and make them hate the Iraqis with more vehemence. This, in turn, is just more of the same.

Shawarma
6th December 06, 07:18 AM
This is why we're going to lose. "Dem rag heads be stoopid! How we not bork their heads!?"

American arrogance is going to cost us the war. It's what started the war in the first place. No, no, I don't mean 9/11 and Afghanistan. I mean this shit we're in now.
The rebels ARE pretty damn stupid. But it's not their stupidity that annoys me, it's that the most ridiculously expensive and powerful military force in the world STILL can't do shit about people without any kind of fancy hardware mining roads and blowing their troops to hell. It's downright frustrating and painful to read about, and as far as I can see, there's no solution to stopping the attacks short of genocide, which would meant discarding any kind of moral high ground the US has so far claimed. This is an ugly and pointless war which will drain the US for years to come.

Osiris
6th December 06, 07:32 AM
I like how when it was "shock and awe", everyone thought people getting blown up helplessly was an awesome spectacle.

Shawarma
6th December 06, 07:35 AM
Klling people with bombs and missiles is more socially acceptable than mining roads, for some reason.

ICY
6th December 06, 09:08 AM
Honestly, watching videos like that just reminds me that one day, inevitably, America will lose in Iraq, and hopeful that one day, the Empire will fall entirely. I think the freedom fighters are no better than the American military, but not in any way worse, either.

No mercy for mercenaries.

No sympathy for soldiers.

Hedgehogey
6th December 06, 10:17 AM
x7xGWqOlSMI

TM
6th December 06, 10:40 AM
We're now experiancing blowback from WWI. Our great grandchildren will be experiancing blowback from this retarded debackle.

Stick
6th December 06, 10:44 AM
That felt very Soviet.

Oh, and fuck W. for ever saying "Bring it on".

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself"
"Today is a day which will live in infamy"
"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"
"Bring it on."

Ugh.

ICY
6th December 06, 12:18 PM
most awesome video ever

*Breaks into tearful rendition of The Internationale*

Oh, and fuck W. for ever saying "Bring it on".

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

But really, they had nothing to fear but FDR steering the US into an unnecessary war with Japan.

"Today is a day which will live in infamy"

"because today is the day the Japs finally had enough of our racist bullshit foreign policy and slapped us in the face"

Oh wait, I forgot FDR was a coniving POS who could never just say what he meant.

"Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"

And what did they actually DO after he said that? Public service? End poverty through charity? LOL!

"Bring it on."

That GWB's empty bullshit doesn't sound as clever doesn't make it much worse.

Osiris
6th December 06, 01:35 PM
That second vid was fucking awesome. [email protected] "bring it on" That must be the single dumbest comment ever made by a president. They brought and now the US is getting raped up the ass. Way to go. I think its time the Western powers rethought warfare. At this point, between the Hezbollah debacle and the Iraq debacle, its pretty clear; No, you are no occupying shit.

Neildo
6th December 06, 01:57 PM
There's no "Makes me...want to play SOCOM" Option.