PDA

View Full Version : Human Strength Augmenting Robotic Exoskeleton in Action

Stick
5th November 06, 06:59 AM
I've been wanting video of this thing for a long, long time.

I can't wait to see the military version ten years down the line.

But I wonder, "ten times what he normally lifts"? So a pretty strong man should be able to do over a thousand pounds, yes?

Fuck, I can't wait to see the super-hero version ^_^

ICY
5th November 06, 07:21 AM
No. A strong man's bones would break under 1000 lbs of pressure, methinks. The thing is still depending on your skeletal strength.

However, this bodes well for my "Starship Troopers (from the BOOK damnit) come to life within my lifetime and fucking own everything in site" idea, eventually.

Stick
5th November 06, 07:39 AM
Surely a version can be built that you "walk into" whereby your skeletal system is fully supported and you're not taking the weight of these loads entirely on your legs- wait it's already making it so you're not taking the entire weight, isn't it?

I think maybe the good doctor might be having a little trouble with translation and that being able to lift ten times your normal eight is something of an exaggeration. Even then it was never specified in what range of motion you'd be tne times as strong: bench press, clean and jerk, squats, curls?

I want one damnit.

Iscariot
5th November 06, 07:43 AM
So this thing can actually anticpate and make you move where it wants........?

And I saw the words Cyberdyne written on it.......

This will end badly.

Though shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind - The Orange Catholic Bible.

ICY
5th November 06, 07:46 AM
Dai, you could make one the way you suggest, but I don't think it's there yet.

Iscariot
5th November 06, 07:49 AM
Dai, you could make one the way you suggest, but I don't think it's there yet.
Dai just wants a Powerloader because he has a big Sigourney Weaver fetish. :P

Stick
5th November 06, 08:12 AM

Yeah that strikes me as a terrible idea; the exoskeleton has no input from stimuli like sight and sound. It should respond immediately to the controller's actions, cause falling down the stairs or accidentally walking in front of a bus in that thing would suck a great deal..... well untill it's powerful enough to stop the buss.

And I honestly don't really like Sigourney Weaver.

Odacon
5th November 06, 12:33 PM
I think this is great, it could help a lot of people suffering from paralysis etc.

Phrost
5th November 06, 01:32 PM
Fuck that, jumping 50' in the air to rain down paintball death upon people is this thing's true purpose.

Odacon
5th November 06, 05:53 PM
Yes there's that also. Powered armor MMA anyone?

Keith
5th November 06, 10:53 PM
Though shalt not make a machine in the likeness of the human mind - The Orange Catholic Bible.
It's still completely dependant on human input, and therefore does not violate the Great Convention.

Like most powerful inventions, this thing has great potential for both use and abuse.

Iscariot
5th November 06, 11:15 PM
It's still completely dependant on human input, and therefore does not violate the Great Convention.

Like most powerful inventions, this thing has great potential for both use and abuse.
The bloody thing can move itself and it's user all by itself, it's not a great leap. I'd say borderline, but send in the Sardaukar just to be safe.

Keith
6th November 06, 01:42 AM
I still don't think it's that threatening, but I'm always down for unleashing the Sardaukar and subjugating another system. I'll dispatch a courier to the Bashar at once!

Truculent Sheep
6th November 06, 07:48 AM
As long as I have something to wear the next time I'm cleansing a derelict spaceship full of Genestealers, I'm all for it. Otherwise my Stormbolter's recoil will give me RSI.

Iscariot
6th November 06, 08:28 AM
As long as I have something to wear the next time I'm cleansing a derelict spaceship full of Genestealers, I'm all for it. Otherwise my Stormbolter's recoil will give me RSI.
You should be neg repped to hell for a Space Hulk reference.

Kayne
6th November 06, 09:26 PM
Power armour! Yes!

Sirc
6th November 06, 09:54 PM
HOLY SHIT!

Hydraulic assisted Jumping here I come. Running speeds increased? Arm mounted weaponry? This is the greatest thing ever. Thank God for powersuit Anime influencing genius Japanese guys. And at $20,000 I'm gonna start saving for this. $20,000 is not that much for what this thing could do.

Steve
6th November 06, 11:54 PM
HOLY SHIT! (snip) $20,000 is not that much for what this thing could do.

Sirc, I'm seriously tired of your posts about masturbation. You'd get hurt, if not electrocuted.

Settle for 'human' powered.

Sirc
7th November 06, 12:14 AM
Sirc, I'm seriously tired of your posts about masturbation. You'd get hurt, if not electrocuted.

Settle for 'human' powered.

Actually I was planning on fisting your mom. :fist:

Steve
7th November 06, 12:21 AM
In that case, it would be an even match.

Her aversion to perverts vs your assisted strength at + 90%.

polishillusion
11th November 06, 06:14 PM
i cant wait for this shit to go commercial~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Go Go Power Rangers mother fuckers.

bob
12th November 06, 01:37 AM
From what the doc was saying, the way it works sounds like a simple EMG biofeedback sensor (Electromyography, myo- meaning muscle). It's actually very simple.

These things have been around for decades, you can buy one for a hundred bucks or so. All it does is detect the electrical potential that a muscle cell generates when it contracts.

Several problems with this

- one, there's always going to be a lag while it detects what your muscle is doing and reacts to it. So you'd be reacting slower and, when you factor in the need to integrate several muscle groups together, much less co-ordinated.
- two, the best way to detect is by sticking tiny needle-like electrodes into the muscle itself. You'd have to have quite a few of these suckers in there for a fully functioning suit and you'd be sore for days afterwards. You can do it with surface electrodes but it's not nearly as accurate.
- three, you need activity to begin with, which limits its application to a lot of conditions, like spinal cord injuries for instance.

bad credit
12th November 06, 04:48 PM
Wow, just think of the possibilites; heavier body armor, mini guns, more ammo, food, water, med supplies, and you could actually still move with it. Of course, they'd be expensive as hell, so infantry units would probably only have a squad or two of these apiece, but they'd be great force multipliers.

Sun Wukong
18th November 06, 04:53 AM

And I saw the words Cyberdyne written on it.......

This will end badly.

The devil you say.

It will only be a matter of time before our skulls are being crushed under the heels of our cyborg masters.

But, I'm not worried about it, because it will only be a little while before their skulls are crushed under the heels of their robot masters. Everything works itself out eventually.