PDA

View Full Version : Famous Punk Club CBGB's Closes its Doors…

Olorin
16th October 06, 02:22 AM
http://www.bennytour.com/new_york/newyork_june_97/images/cbgb.jpg

BY KEVIN AMORIM
Newsday Staff Writer

October 11, 2006
Punk rock's most diabolical toilet will never flush again - at least not in Manhattan.

By this time next week, CBGB, the Lower East Side dive that brought live music to the Bowery 33 years ago and birthed the U.S. punk and new-wave music scenes, will be as lifeless as Johnny Thunders. Or Jerry Nolan. Or ____________ (insert name of favorite dead punk star here). It's a real heartbreaker - we're not kidding. Little Steven Van Zandt, who spearheaded the fight to save CB's last year, isn't giving interviews about it; his press person said he is, in fact, "too heartbroken."

The club's official cause of death will be listed as "rent dispute"; a lengthy disagreement between CBGB and its landlord, the nonprofit homeless aid group Bowery Residents' Committee, could not be resolved.

Hilly Kristal, the venue's owner, chooses to remember the good times instead of the impending end.

"It was something new, something coming together," Kristal, 74, said last week, recalling the dawn of the punk era, which his club nurtured by giving groups such as Television, the Ramones, Blondie, Talking Heads and countless others a place to play. "As hard as we worked, it was work for pleasure."

And the pleasure is all Patti Smith's to play CBGB's final show on Sunday. The last act, however, belongs to the movers. Kristal, who is fighting lung cancer, will vacate the tiny space (about 165 feet long and 25 feet wide) by the end of this month.

Kristal vows to take what he can from the Bowery to Las Vegas, where he has been heavily courted and welcomed with open arms and checkbooks. The fixtures, urinals and that infamous, elevated, out-in-the-open throne at the end of the men's restroom will all be stripped from the venue (capacity almost 300) and hopefully disinfected.

"The end has been a long time coming," said Tom Erdelyi, known to the world by his nom de punk of Tommy Ramone, the Ramones' first drummer and only surviving original member. "It meant a lot to me and the Ramones. It was the perfect place. It's very sad. I'm sure that once it's gone, there's going to be a big hole in what once was."

By "big hole," Erdelyi isn't talking about that scary damn toilet. But the place, with all its band stickers and graffiti, did have an aroma. In kiddie parlance, it could best be described as scent of pee-pee, poo-poo and throw-ups.

That was half the fun though, right?

"New York used to be called 'Fun City' before it was 'The Big Apple,'" said Councilman Alan J. Gerson, a Democrat whose district includes the club. "This loss is a trend. New York is losing its live entertainment spots, its cultural identity."

Still, Kristal plans on moving from Fun City to Sin City. "We're going to try to keep things going," he said. "Allan Pepper from the Bottom Line just called. He said he's thinking of me."

CBGB, the Noo Yawk version, is survived by the memories of thousands of deafening late nights, smelly and sweat-drenched T-shirts and beat-up combat boots.

The club is preceded in death by Johnny, Joey and Dee Dee Ramone, and countless other heaven-bound rock and rollers; and by the many clubs that marched to the beat of Clem Burke - including Coney Island High, Luna Lounge and, most recently, The Continental, which shut down last month.

In lieu of flowers, please crank up your favorite American punk-rock album - the eponymous first Ramones album is a good choice. Or perhaps "Young, Loud & Snotty" by the Dead Boys. Rock out for a minute or two, then go back to your regularly scheduled lives.

And please don't forget to flush.

http://www.newsday.com/features/printedition/ny-2know4926595oct11,0,6945871.story?track=mostemaile dlink

Steve
16th October 06, 02:49 AM
I wish I cared.

ICY
16th October 06, 06:08 AM
I heard about this, not because I wanted to, but because the only media I've had for the last 3 weeks is CBC radio, and they have a show on there about punk (and other music that's almost as bad).

Good riddance I say, and really...you're a conservative baptist with Dirty Harry as your avatar...the irony.

Sun Wukong
16th October 06, 08:19 PM
I love punk personally, and CBGB's was the only place that would let alot of punk bands play when they first got started.

I should clarify, I like the Punk Genre. I was never a huge fan of The Sex Pistols. I like bands that were more along the lines of The Ramones.

Not that it matters, it's kinda fitting that CBGB's would shut down since the punk movement is either dead, labeled as "Alternative" or in a very deep hibernation these days.

Actually, I can't believe that ICY actually can find a station that cater's the punk.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th October 06, 08:25 PM
The reason you didn't like The Sex Pistols is because they fucking suck and Sid Vicious was a faggot.

Olorin
16th October 06, 08:27 PM
and really...you're a conservative baptist with Dirty Harry as your avatar...the irony.

What’s your point?

Sid Vicious was a faggot.

He loved Nancy. :guitar:

Sun Wukong
16th October 06, 08:36 PM
The reason you didn't like The Sex Pistols is because they fucking suck and Sid Vicious was a faggot.

At least he had the decency to commit suicide for what he did. God damn heroin.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th October 06, 08:38 PM
It's not so much Sid Vicious as the retarded personality cult that sprung up around him. Thus, he's in a similar category as Kurt Cobain (though he was a douchebag enough on his own) and that dead guy from Sublime.

Olorin
16th October 06, 08:42 PM
Not that it matters, it's kinda fitting that CBGB's would shut down since the punk movement is either dead, labeled as "Alternative" or in a very deep hibernation these days.

They are trying to open back up in Las Vegas. I cannot think of anything less punk than to open a brand spanking new CBGB’s in off all places Las Vegas. They might as well move to Branson Missouri.

ICY
17th October 06, 04:59 AM
Actually, I can't believe that ICY actually can find a station that cater's the punk.

LOL...the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation...it runs Canada's national public radio and television. On CBC-Radio there are no ads and there is culture...something lacking on private radio.

Sun Wukong
26th October 06, 03:35 AM
They are trying to open back up in Las Vegas. I cannot think of anything less punk than to open a brand spanking new CBGB’s in off all places Las Vegas. They might as well move to Branson Missouri.

What the fuck? Is there any place on earth that is less punk than Las Vegas? I mean, it's the land of selling out in every imaginable way. It's pretty to look at I guess, but how soul-less can you get? Then again, I live in the Bay Area so...

Stick
26th October 06, 05:50 AM
CBGB in Las Vegas is like a Jimmy Dean sausage plant in Mecca: WTF?

T3hJudoChop
26th October 06, 10:26 AM
See punk is all about opposites. CBGB Las Vegas is so not punk it's punk.

I can't wait to hear how CBGB booked Celine Dion for a month long engagement.

CBGB is the new Moulin Rouge.

TM
31st October 06, 11:31 AM
Good riddance to an unflushable toilet. The music was sometimes OK but the place itself should have been condemmed decades ago.

T3hJudoChop
31st October 06, 11:43 AM
I thought CBGB had some of the best acoustics. Crappy bands sounded pretty good in that place.

Shawarma
31st October 06, 03:22 PM
Good riddance to an unflushable toilet. The music was sometimes OK but the place itself should have been condemmed decades ago.
That's punk, man.