PDA

View Full Version : Aurora Borealis

Steve
13th October 06, 10:10 PM
I would love to see the Northern Lights some day....

What really stood out to me tho in regards to this video, was how there are stationary 'stars.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIXs6Sh0DKs

WarPhalange
14th October 06, 12:29 AM
What do you mean stationary stars?

Steve
14th October 06, 12:40 AM
What do you mean stationary stars?

The points of light in the sky that don't move.

The stars obviously move across the field of view but then there are a bunch that don't...

Either they are geosynchronous orbiting satellites, space junk, or?

Iscariot
14th October 06, 07:04 AM
You could supposedly see the Northern Lights as far south as where I live about 30 years ago, this was of course before light pollution went off the fucking deep end.

WarPhalange
14th October 06, 12:57 PM
The points of light in the sky that don't move.

The stars obviously move across the field of view but then there are a bunch that don't...

Either they are geosynchronous orbiting satellites, space junk, or?

Either an optical illusion or space junk. Stars don't travel in geosynchronous orbits...

ICY
17th October 06, 05:12 AM
I've seen'em...kind of like a puddle of gas in the sky, IMO, and no more fascinating.

DAYoung
17th October 06, 05:54 AM
Beautiful. Thanks, Steve.

Hey ICY, I hear they look amazing through the shimmering water of a toilet bowl.

TM
17th October 06, 10:32 AM
They're awesome here in Vermont. Makes the Who's laser light show look like kids with flashlights.

Neildo
17th October 06, 11:07 AM
When I worked in Edmonton, i had a gig out in the middle of nowhere watching a warehouse for Clarke transport. (It was really cool. Big enough to fit in a dozen box cars in, and I got to drive a train.)
Anyways, one night i was out patrolling the yard, and I looked up in time to see some Aurora Borealis. It looked like a shimmering blue/purple/green dragon slithering across the sky. Really fucking cool, wished I had a camera to capture it.