PDA

View Full Version : Dexter: Watch the First Episode Online

Stick
1st October 06, 09:21 PM
Go on over to Showtime.com, you'll see a prompt asking for a password, that's "sneakpeek". (http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/sneakpeek/home.do?source=m80)

This show fascinates me. Dexter works days as a forensics expert, blood spatter, and nights he hunts and kills people he believes deserves death, other killers. Our "hero" is creepy, charming, interesting- pretty much what people say of their neighbors when they find out he's been collecting heads for years. His girlfriend, played by Julie Benz who some might recognize as Darla from Bufy and Angel, is big baggage handling wreck of a single mom. His foster sister- he himself was an adopted child- works vice and is trying to stumble her way out of the hooker outfits and onto the homocide squad; they have an interesting relationship.

The episode flashes back several times to Dexter's childhood, giving insight into what made him what he is- a really, really creepy Punisher perhaps- and what did it seems to be his foster father, a cop who recognized Dexter's sociopathy for what it is and apparently trained him to kill those that have it coming.

More and more TV episodes are being made available online legally, I like this. Frankly, if TV studios would just go ahead and insert the commercial breaks into this sort of an on-line offering and make their shows' episode libraries available on demmand I'd probably stop with the piracy, I don't mind commercials. Who knows, in a few years I may not even need basic cable to legally catch all the shows I want- here's hoping.

Till then I think by hook or by crook I'll find a way to watch this series, it intrigues me.

MaverickZ
1st October 06, 09:52 PM
damn you! i was hoping for Dexter's Lab

Stick
1st October 06, 09:54 PM
This is better.

Mr. Jones
1st October 06, 10:08 PM
I actually hate shows like this because they catergorize serial killers horribly horribly wrong.

WarPhalange
1st October 06, 10:10 PM
damn you! i was hoping for Dexter's Lab

Same.

Steve
1st October 06, 10:33 PM
Just got to the part where the dad gives his son an idea to channel his urges (in a flash back)...

Pretty cool, Dai. Thanks for the link!

Mr. Jones
1st October 06, 10:35 PM
^^^That's why I hate shows like this.

Osiris
1st October 06, 10:50 PM
This is fucking cool. Best premier episode Ive seen in a while.

Steve
1st October 06, 10:56 PM
This is fucking cool. Best premier episode Ive seen in a while.

Agreed.

The ending is awesome.

Stick
1st October 06, 10:57 PM
I actually hate shows like this because they catergorize serial killers horribly horribly wrong.

Not sure I follow; serial killers are overwhelmingly played as creepy and evil and not at all likeable. This seems to be a departure from that- not that he's exactly likeable-, he's not the villain of the week for some crappy CSI or Law & Order franchise crap, this is his show, a show about a serial killer.

How exactly should TV- the mdeium that unashamedly regularly portrays cops and soldiers as bad-ass, heartless killing machines who don't think twice about pulling the trigger- portray a serial killer? Particularly, how should a fictional show about a serial killer be approached that would actually make it worth watching to a chunk of the populace large enough to keep the series afloat?

Mr. Jones
1st October 06, 11:02 PM
You have a point. Watching a serial killer on a show have sex with then eat a dead body wouldn't have a lot of viewers.

Stick
1st October 06, 11:06 PM
Ask crime scene investigators, cops, lawyers what they think of CSI and how it skews jury perception of the sort of evidence they think they'll be seeing in a trial.

Hell, when was the last time you saw a martial artist, the martial arts, or martial arts competition in a way that wasn't horribly, horribly wrong; it's overwhelmingly Hollywood psuedo-mystic crap that no human without wires and safety equipment could do.

Steve
1st October 06, 11:14 PM
It seems like it will be quite interesting...

A serial killer who works for the cops catching serial killers (and the odd 'regular' killer) discovers a serial killer that he looks up to for his 'skills.' He's challenged by said serial killer to a duel of sorts that the protagonist serial killer heartily acepts.

Doing that while juggling working for the cops (and pretending to be normal) = cool tv series.

Mr. Jones
1st October 06, 11:32 PM
You do realize sfe that most serial killers were considered totally normal when people who knew them were interviewed by the news and law enforcement. They were totally shocked that they were serial killers.

Steve
1st October 06, 11:38 PM
You do realize sfe that most serial killers were considered totally normal when people who knew them were interviewed by the news and law enforcement. They were totally shocked that they were serial killers.

You do realize that this is a TV show we're talking about and not real life?

Edit: Mr. Jones, have you actually watched the episode? He really is trying to be 'normal.'

Mr. Jones
1st October 06, 11:59 PM
Yeah and I was talking to Dai Tenchi earlier of how it screws with people's perceptions. Anyway as you were.

Stick
2nd October 06, 12:14 AM
Jones, you don't honestly think this show is going to create a public enamored of real life serial killers, do you?

Osiris
2nd October 06, 12:21 AM
How is this show messing up perceptions? Most serial killers lead incredibly ironic lives.

AAAhmed46
2nd October 06, 01:03 AM
I cant see it, only in the united states can you view it.

Sounds cool. I mean he doesn't exactly kill normal people, just killers.

So what? He's like the punisher.

Stick
3rd October 06, 09:24 PM
Something just flashed in my head as I watched this again; Dexter might kill or hurt his girlfriend, Rita. Not that he's going to pick her as a target or anything, but after their date, in the car when he's telling her how the blood draining killer is an artist and his hand drops to her thigh- thinking about the way that guy kills got him hot and he started to bring her into that. He seemed concerned when she left the car, he thought "what have I done now, and why can't I get that neat stack of body parts out of my head" and he said "why did I touch her that way". Whether the thought of chopped up bodies is jsut what he needs to get it up and perform, be "normal" with her, or whether he needs more than the thought- that he can't have sex with her so much as kill her- remains to be seen, either way ::shudder::

Just a thought.

Steve
3rd October 06, 11:36 PM
Something just flashed in my head as I watched this again; Dexter might kill or hurt his girlfriend, Rita. Not that he's going to pick her as a target or anything, but after their date, in the car when he's telling her how the blood draining killer is an artist and his hand drops to her thigh- thinking about the way that guy kills got him hot and he started to bring her into that. He seemed concerned when she left the car, he thought "what have I done now, and why can't I get that neat stack of body parts out of my head" and he said "why did I touch her that way". Whether the thought of chopped up bodies is jsut what he needs to get it up and perform, be "normal" with her, or whether he needs more than the thought- that he can't have sex with her so much as kill her- remains to be seen, either way ::shudder::

Just a thought.

Yeah, I had thought about the first part of what you wrote, that he might need to think about the perfection of committing the perfect killing in order to get it up.

Maybe he'll have to let her in on that he's a killer (since she's actively pursuing him now)? That could be interesting too.

I would think that it could turn into a 'repeating' story line if every girl he likes (if you can call it liking) he had to kill. That is, unless he finds a female serial killer to date that is just as obsessed as he is...

AAAhmed46
4th October 06, 12:37 PM
Potential depth of this series is really deep......

Stick
10th October 06, 04:05 AM
The second episode was just as solid. Yet another show I must watch ^_^

I don't believe we've been shown the blood drainer at all- he needs a better name-, it's possibly someone from Dexter's past or even his life now, but I can't see it as being any of the characters we've seen.... well maybe the other forensics dork, Masuka, but I seriously doubt it.

Dexter's prey this week was considerably less cut and dry deserving of death. At first glance Dexter's victim appears to have just killed a teenager in a drunk driving accident- pedestrian, he hit and ran-, but Dexter sees through the guy's play at sympathy and regret in court (he just walked into the courtroom after giving his professional testimny in another case). Dexter gets close and does a little digging, turns out the guy has killed many people in DUI crashes, everytime he has an accident he plays it p in court and leaves town doesn't really put the effort in at AA, a real repeat offender, threat to society.

Now.... did he desere to get chopped up? I honestly don't know. The guy knowingly and willingly endangered the public over and over and over even after his lifestyle had been the direct cause of death for complete strangers.

That aside, Dexter's still having problems with Rita, getting clsoe and all. At first it seems she wants to get more physical, but once he finally gets into the swing of thigns- it takes hi a long fucking time- she shuts down: mmmmmm, trauma. Not sure at all whether Dexter really does want to have sex sith her, whether he's ever had it; at one moment he seems afraid to touch, but then when he gets into it he seems to really fall in.

I'm not writing off the idea that Rita may meet an unfortunate end.

Traditional Tom
10th October 06, 03:42 PM
The second episode was just as solid. Yet another show I must watch ^_^

I don't believe we've been shown the blood drainer at all- he needs a better name-, it's possibly someone from Dexter's past or even his life now, but I can't see it as being any of the characters we've seen.... well maybe the other forensics dork, Masuka, but I seriously doubt it.

Dexter's prey this week was considerably less cut and dry deserving of death. At first glance Dexter's victim appears to have just killed a teenager in a drunk driving accident- pedestrian, he hit and ran-, but Dexter sees through the guy's play at sympathy and regret in court (he just walked into the courtroom after giving his professional testimny in another case). Dexter gets close and does a little digging, turns out the guy has killed many people in DUI crashes, everytime he has an accident he plays it p in court and leaves town doesn't really put the effort in at AA, a real repeat offender, threat to society.

Now.... did he desere to get chopped up? I honestly don't know. The guy knowingly and willingly endangered the public over and over and over even after his lifestyle had been the direct cause of death for complete strangers.

That aside, Dexter's still having problems with Rita, getting clsoe and all. At first it seems she wants to get more physical, but once he finally gets into the swing of thigns- it takes hi a long fucking time- she shuts down: mmmmmm, trauma. Not sure at all whether Dexter really does want to have sex sith her, whether he's ever had it; at one moment he seems afraid to touch, but then when he gets into it he seems to really fall in.

I'm not writing off the idea that Rita may meet an unfortunate end.

Every person that has even a slight appearance is a possible suspect for the part of "the blood drainer". The guy Dexter nicknamed "Sasquatch" after he accidentally bumped into him could be. Personally I hope you're right about the "from the past" thing since it would make it more interesting.

I don't see how that guy wasn't deserving of death. Assuredly he was full of regret, but that was the reason for the episode name "Crocodile", for Crocodile Tears. I suppose you could claim that it wasn't as black and white as the first one, but only because the guy (appeared to) express remorse for what he did.

As regards Rita, I don't think she's in any danger of being murdered. Dexter seems to have his own code of ethics, twisted as they may be. As for them getting intimate, I got the impression that Dexter clumsily groped her so she would feel uncomfortable and they wouldn't have to proceed. Either that or he's just a complete retard when it comes to fooling around.

Osiris
10th October 06, 03:53 PM
That sleazy ass grope was intentional. It wasn't even a caress. He just up and grabbed a breast.

AAAhmed46
10th October 06, 08:48 PM
I STILL haven't seen this series.

Is it on torrent yet?

Osiris
10th October 06, 10:26 PM
Of course.

Steve
10th October 06, 11:28 PM
Interesting, will give my thoughts shortly :).

Steve
11th October 06, 11:49 PM
I liked the second episode a lot.

Points that stuck out to me:

First, I wish I spoke Spanish.

Second, I'm curious about the promotion of Dex's sister. It has obvious shady undertones to it.

Other than that, it seemed like a continuation of the first episode's path, nothing too off beat from where it was headed.

Stick
12th October 06, 03:09 PM
Episode 3 is out on the torrents now, it shakes stuff up a bit.

Steve
13th October 06, 01:42 AM
Watching the 3rd episode as I write this.......

TASHA YAR!!!!!!!!

*ahem* back to the show.

Steve
13th October 06, 02:05 AM
Awesome episode.

Traditional Tom
13th October 06, 08:08 PM
Episode 3 - JUDO FLIP

That's what it should be called anyways, since that was an awesome scene.

Steve
13th October 06, 08:50 PM
Episode 3 - JUDO FLIP

That's what it should be called anyways, since that was an awesome scene.

I'm glad to see that you contributed more than I did as to what happened in episode 3.

Makes me feel the neg rep you laid on me for my post is really deserved.

I even had a geek reference with my Tasha Yar comment, how's that not good enough?

Traditional Tom
13th October 06, 11:07 PM
Actually considering your posts, I did.
I'm glad you also feel it was deserved. It's not good enough because it appears to be a strain for you to put more than two sentences together.

EDIT
Additionally I was going to sleep on it and write my thoughts. Kind of like what you did, except better. Can I top this?

(24 hours later)

Only time will tell.

Steve
13th October 06, 11:30 PM
Actually considering your posts, I did.
I'm also glad you feel it was deserved. It's not good enough because it appears to be a strain for you to put more than two sentences together.

Hmmmmm, really?

A serial killer who works for the cops catching serial killers (and the odd 'regular' killer) discovers a serial killer that he looks up to for his 'skills.' He's challenged by said serial killer to a duel of sorts that the protagonist serial killer heartily acepts.

Doing that while juggling working for the cops (and pretending to be normal) = cool tv series.

Originally Posted by Dai Tenshi

Just a thought.

Yeah, I had thought about the first part of what you wrote, that he might need to think about the perfection of committing the perfect killing in order to get it up.

Maybe he'll have to let her in on that he's a killer (since she's actively pursuing him now)? That could be interesting too.

I would think that it could turn into a 'repeating' story line if every girl he likes (if you can call it liking) he had to kill. That is, unless he finds a female serial killer to date that is just as obsessed as he is...

Second, I'm curious about the promotion of Dex's sister. It has obvious shady undertones to it.

Other than that, it seemed like a continuation of the first episode's path, nothing too off beat from where it was headed.

The fact that it took you a day to "give your thoughts on it"

I gave my thoughts 24 hours to late for you? I didn't realize that you were waiting, my bad.

as well as your complete lack of contribution on the third episode. Give thoughts and comments next time you useless bastard - TTom

Watching the 3rd episode as I write this.......

TASHA YAR!!!!!!!!

*ahem* back to the show.

Awesome episode.

Need I repeat: Tasha Yar!!! vs. JUDO FLIP??? Which is more interesting (wait, that's a cheap shot since this is Sociocide and NOT Bullshido)?

And then there is who has posted the most on this thread:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/shutup.jpg

I think that I've contributed more than enough on this thread to cover what you're complaining about. There's more to life than TV, I'm sure we can agree on that at least.

Edit: Or are you just anal retentive?

Traditional Tom
14th October 06, 12:20 AM
You sir, truly are a master debator.

I thought the post you used to prove me wrong regarind your two-sentence pump chumpness was awesome.

1 sentence

A serial killer who works for the cops catching serial killers (and the odd 'regular' killer) discovers a serial killer that he looks up to for his 'skills.' 1 He's challenged by said serial killer to a duel of sorts that the protagonist serial killer heartily acepts. 2 sentences

Doing that while juggling working for the cops (and pretending to be normal) = cool tv series. 1 sentence

I'll tell you this though sfe. Every single post of yours I've actually read I've given a neg-rep.
As regards your stat, quantity does not equal quality. Let's review some of those posts.

Agreed. 0.2

The ending is awesome. 0.7

As you can see, this post almost managed to equal one whole sentence.
Before that magnificant post we had this diamond in the rough.

Just got to the part where the dad gives his son an idea to channel his urges (in a flash back)...

Pretty cool, Dai. Thanks for the link!

Two whole sentences! Though that was the number in the combined post, and not an actual paragraph or anything. It still put your other post to shame.

You do realize that this is a TV show we're talking about and not real life?

Edit: Mr. Jones, have you actually watched the episode? He really is trying to be 'normal.'

Brilliant! Another two sentences in this post! Despite the fact that Dexter is not actually *trying* to be normal and is actually more concerned with *acting* normal, you really hit the mark with this insightful post!

This post isn't quite up to par with the rest of them. In fact if I could and if I actually cared enough, I would give you another neg for that stupid smiley face.

The fact that it took you a day to "give your thoughts on it" as well as your complete lack of contribution on the third episode. Give thoughts and comments next time you useless bastard

Seeing as how all my criticisms were valid I would hope you grow from this experience and realize that "posting more" does not make you a great contributor to any thread.

In conclusion, the very idea that there is life outside of television is absurd. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Lastly, am I anal retentive? I will have to claim I am not, for I do not currently retain anything in my anus.

Good night.

Steve
14th October 06, 12:35 AM
Get a grip, it's the interwebs! Like I watched any of the episodes to begin with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexter_%28TV_series%29

YOU ARE ANAL RETENTIVE!

I'll work on my paragraphs for ya, since you can't stand single sentences.

Edit: You are avoiding my superior Tasha Yar ref vs. your Judo ref.

AAAhmed46
14th October 06, 01:09 AM
Well....consensus?

Judo flip in ep3 WAS awsome.

And that this is a good show SO WHY ARGUE DAMN IT!!!!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF HELIO!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
14th October 06, 01:17 AM
Well....consensus?

Judo flip in ep3 WAS awsome.

And that this is a good show SO WHY ARGUE DAMN IT!!!!!!!

FOR THE LOVE OF HELIO!!!!!!!!!!

You're pouring salt on me ('I'm helping!' How's that for a geek quote?).

You've never seen ST:TNG have you?

Traditional Tom
14th October 06, 03:53 PM
Actually "Judo Flip" is also a reference to the lyrics in the opening theme of "The Boondocks", which is an even nerdier (and therefore better) reference then your paltry ST:TNG quote.

So go crawl back underneath whatever rotting foliage you came from, you self-proclaimed slug.

Steve
14th October 06, 04:01 PM
All right, you win.

You are more of a nerd than I am.

Traditional Tom
14th October 06, 05:57 PM
Sure?

Next time your diaper gets in a twist, PM me. As it is you've derailed this thread worse than the North Haverbrook Monorail. Pussy.

Steve
14th October 06, 07:57 PM
Ok.

*rolls over and exposes belly with submissive look in his eyes*

Stick
14th October 06, 11:52 PM
You two are like a guaranteed thread killer.

Steve
15th October 06, 12:33 AM
Just until the next episode comes out.

There aren't many people posting that have intrest in the show. How else am I gonna spend my time while I wait?

Stick
17th October 06, 02:32 AM
I just read the book.

I know what's gonna happen, neener-neener-neener :-P

Steve
17th October 06, 02:50 AM
I just read the book.

I know what's gonna happen, neener-neener-neener :-P

?????

Cheater.

Stick
25th October 06, 02:43 AM
Finally got my hands on episode 4.

Heh, Dexter got head, and surprisingly enough he seemed to like it- he acknowledged it as being better than the easy quiet moments alone with Rita he'd come to appreciate in his internal monologue.

Speaking of Rita, she had a nice little moment, rescuing the crying neighbor dog and taking it to a family that would love him. Her neighbor was over-the-top bitchtacular. It's worth noting in the books though that Cody kills the dog... that Cody in fact enjoys killing things (fishing trip) and is very much the way Dexter was as a child.

At the end, when he refuses to kill a gift wrapped Tucci, Dexter gave another bit of himself away in his internal monologue; he doesn't just spare Tucci because Harry would not want it, Dexter spares Tucci because Dexter doesn't want it. He really can't kill people who don't deserve it.

Angel got a bit more character this episode, good comedic stuff with Dexter that later played out as some actual drama between him and his wife- who if you'll notice he's called several times in previous episodes. I like the guy.

And Dokes got used hard.

Steve
25th October 06, 02:48 AM
The Book: Darkly Dreaming Dexter (http://www.amazon.com/Darkly-Dreaming-Dexter-Jeff-Lindsay/dp/1400095913/sr=8-1/qid=1161762353/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9386742-3275342?ie=UTF8&s=books)

I'll watch the episode tomorrow.

Stick
25th October 06, 02:55 AM
I downloaded the audio books and am halfway through the second, but honestly I think I may just go pick them up in paperback tomorrow.

AAAhmed46
25th October 06, 02:57 AM
Is this series based off the book or will it cover the book?

Steve
25th October 06, 03:00 AM
Both!

AAAhmed46
25th October 06, 03:03 AM
How thick is each book?

Stick
25th October 06, 03:07 AM
Based on the book.

The TV series grealy expands on what's in the book, fleshes out some of the characters overlooked in the books. Also, the story itself is expanded in order to last a TV season, things have been added and changed.

Most interesing of all for me is that Dexter on TV is starting to divulge a littl from Dexter in the books. Granted I may be attributing too much to a few lines of dialogue, and in the book his internal monologue takes up so much more of the story- it's written in the first person-, but just as an example Dexter in this most recent episode acknlowedges in his head that he enjoys sex with Rita while in the book he engages in it many times but never once thinks of it as anything but undiginified and necessary to maintainning his disguise.

I like that they're turning out to be so different. While I'm sure I have spoiled the overall arch of the story and what happens to some of these characters it's clear that they're different enough to warrant digesting both.

They're relatively short reads, not a great judge but each audio book is less than ten hours and that's short (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is like 25-30). Though these may be abridged readings.... in which case I really do need to get the books and they may not be as different from the tv series as I've been led to believe. Doubt it though, amazon lists both as 304 pages- that sounds about right.

Steve
25th October 06, 03:17 AM
Hmmm.

Like how a manga version and the anime version are different?

Interesting.

AAAhmed46
25th October 06, 02:51 PM
Well this is a good difference.

This is an awsome series.

Steve
25th October 06, 11:58 PM
Halloween episode...

Watching it right now.

I'll be sure to say more than 5 words for ya TT.

Steve
26th October 06, 01:08 AM
Episode 4:

Fucking awesome episode!

I would love to go over everything that is shown in E4, but so much is covered it's hard put it into a single post.

Best thing to do would be watch it yourself and then post comments/qeustions individually for review. Seriously, so much character development is in E4 that the show jumps up to a new level.

1: Dex is being 'stalked' (for lack of a better term) by the Ice Truck Killer.

2: It has something to do with his father who 'made' him.

3: Dex didn't kill anyone this episode. That in itself makes this episode 'special'.

4: Tons of character developement in regards to the police force. Everyone seems a bit more human/tied to the show now.

5: Dex got a blow job. And seemed to like it.

Thoughts?

Stick
26th October 06, 01:22 AM
Whe Laguerta called up Tucci's mom to tell her that he wasn't dead I just about smacked the screen; she is so amazingly lucky that guy was found alive, cause that was one of the dumbest things she could've done. Seriously, a lab tech comes in and says he figures Tucci's still alive- that is not enough to go on to get her hopes up like that. She could've let it go till they found Tucci dead or alive and then either give ma the surprise of her life or let her handle what she had already prepared herself for; getting her hopes up like that could've ended very, very badly and that's what I expected as soon as that woman picked up the phone.

Steve
26th October 06, 01:39 AM
ABSOLUTLEY! I felt the same way!!

What a stupid move after screwing things up to begin with.

Steve
8th November 06, 02:07 AM
Saw episode 5.

But no one seems to care about Dexter anymore...

Tho the unplanned double kill was interesting.

Stick
8th November 06, 02:28 AM
I'm keeping up with i, but yeah, no one has said anything. Episode 6 is great; Dexter dealing with the possibility of getting caught is interesting.

Steve
8th November 06, 02:30 AM
I thought he might be starting on that road after seeing 5...

I'll have to look for 6.

Traditional Tom
9th November 06, 02:33 PM
Episode 6 was spectacular. I would probably vote it to be the best overall episode so far this season. Though I'm not sure if anything in the series will ever top the initial confrontation between the black cop and Dexter.

Osiris
10th November 06, 03:10 PM
Perhaps Dexter SHOULD LOCK HIS FUCKING DOOR?

Stick
10th November 06, 03:15 PM
He does, what he needs to do is set traps.

I alomst got the feeling from the end of the last episode that he had done something along those lines, or at the very made it harder to get in. I think up untill now he's been way too relaxed about the fact that this guy seems to be coming and going from his apartment at will, hopefully Dexter will buckle his ass down and not allow anything like that again.

Seriously, I'd be setting ankle-biters.

Osiris
10th November 06, 03:27 PM
I'm hoping its somehow explained. Even if its him and he doesn't know it, he should still have a problem with a psycho killer loose in his house.

Steve
17th November 06, 11:41 PM
Just finished the episode. As everyone has said, it was awesome.

Esp the nice touch of the police sketch of Jesus at the end.

Steve
18th November 06, 05:31 AM
GAWD! After watching episode 7, the 'killer' is obvious!

If only they'd let other writers give them a hand to help keep it in the dark!

Stick
19th November 06, 12:08 PM
It's obvious?

Who do you think it obviously is?

Warning, I've read the book, I know who it is.

I loved that last episode. Obviously that dork hacked the Miami PD and took their files on the ice-truck killer so he could take credit. He even decided to join in the fun, go real copy-cat. When he sat down across from Dexter and said "the fuck are you" Dexter's smile was fucking priceless.

Dexter's growing dissappointment witht he idea that the ice truck killer had been found was great, he was so sad.

Rita's husband, Paul, yeah he's gonna fuck'n die. I'm not saying this because he dies in the book, because he's not even in the book.... I can just feel in my bones that this fucker is gonna get chopped.

Steve
19th November 06, 12:16 PM
I'm calling the Prosthetics Doc.

Stick
19th November 06, 12:47 PM
Ah-ha, not the answer I expected. I thought you were gonna say it was Dex himself, and then I would've LoL'd.

Steve
19th November 06, 01:30 PM
k?

Stick
19th November 06, 05:17 PM
K indeed.

Osiris
19th November 06, 05:36 PM
I got spoiled already and the answer is utterly retarded.

Steve
19th November 06, 05:43 PM
So it's agreed, Sociocide needs spoiler tags.

Yes, off topic, but true.

Stick
23rd November 06, 09:44 PM
I just watched the latest episode and was actually surprised. It never occurred to me that they'd change the way the killer was introduced; it's still who it was in the book, he just got a lot more screen time.

Damn.

I thought it was a pretty good reveal, though honestly they didn't ahve to show us his cold storage room, that was like "the audience has a certain percentage of idiots that aren't going to get it unless we hammer it into their heads".

Oh, and on a certain level I feel sort of stupid.

Kayne
24th November 06, 01:18 AM
So it was the doc, right? Or was the whole 'putting parts together' thing a red herring? They just kinda slapped us over the head with it, so maybe it was too obvious. But then I guess they can't be too subtle, eh?

Steve
24th November 06, 01:38 AM
I just watched the latest episode and was actually surprised. It never occurred to me that they'd change the way the killer was introduced; it's still who it was in the book, he just got a lot more screen time.

Damn.

I thought it was a pretty good reveal, though honestly they didn't ahve to show us his cold storage room, that was like "the audience has a certain percentage of idiots that aren't going to get it unless we hammer it into their heads".

Oh, and on a certain level I feel sort of stupid.

I like this episode a lot. Funny how things got worked out for Dex and his girlfriend.

The episode did make me think that they are making Dex's 'rival' a lot more clever than he needed to be. I mean, it's nice that he's got all these little surprises lined up for Dex, but he just seems too perfect.

Also, I totally called who the 'rival' is. Go me.

Stick
24th November 06, 08:20 AM
It ain't over yet.

In retrospect, I should've become suspicious when he said he was adopted.

Steve
24th November 06, 09:08 PM
True enough.

Is it just me, or do I find it kinda weird that Dex and his girlfriends ex look like they could be brothers? It kinda annoys me how much they look alike.

Kayne
26th November 06, 06:50 AM
Ep. 8. RNC, FTW!

Steve
26th November 06, 06:58 AM
Yup.

Stick
26th November 06, 02:10 PM
Yeah, that was pretty freaking sweet, I think I'll have to make a Dexter RNC GIF.

Steve
26th November 06, 02:28 PM
I support you in that endeavor.

Osiris
26th November 06, 06:20 PM
Dexter is annoying sloppy. For fucks sakes, WEAR A MASK. LOCK YOUR DOOR. STALKING YOUR VICTIMS IN BIG BLACK GLASSES AND A BLACK HOODY IN BROAD DAYLIGHT IS NOT INCONSPICUOUS.

Stick
26th November 06, 07:23 PM
But the ninja gear would stand out.

Interestingly enough, sometimes he is masked, sometimes he isn't; remember in the very first episode he took out Jawarski while wearing a plastic mask.

Osiris
26th November 06, 07:37 PM
A ski mask does not stand out. You carry it and then pull it out before a homicide. Then you put it away. He spares lives sometimes and often runs around in places in which he can be seen before the actual killing. Ski mask.

Stick
26th November 06, 08:28 PM
People forget and overlook the plain looking guy who may just as well be moving about; people pay special attention to the actions of a man wearing a ski mask.

Osiris
26th November 06, 09:08 PM
Lets say someone walks in on him making a kill in the semipublic places he can often be found. Like in the human trafficking case. Skimask or no? FUCKING SKI MASK.

Stick
26th November 06, 10:04 PM
That junk yard was not semi-public, it was a gated and locked private yard; Dexter made the mistake of assuming he knew where everyone was in that large space.

Osiris
27th November 06, 12:59 AM
He also turned a large number of immigrants loose. And he stalked Jeremy or whatever in what seemed to be an arcade of sorts. And he grabbed the doctor in his own office. Good thing no one ever shows up unexpectedly in AN OFFICE.

Stick
27th November 06, 11:18 AM
Episode 9 is great, really takes the story well away from the book and puts a lot more character into the ice-truck killer; in the book, the killer's reveal felt really rushed and he had little to no characterization aside from being nucking futs.

I love that he went back to kill grandma.

Traditional Tom
4th December 06, 11:38 PM
Wow - Episode 10 was pretty goddamn awesome.

More is revealed about Dexter's past, Paul is "taken care of".

Dexter's face after he smashed Paul's already battered head with an ironing pan was priceless. Kind of a "Woops, I hope mom doesn't find out".

Seeing him freak out at the crime scene was pretty cool too. This episode just had a ton of good moments. The police are drawing ever-so-slowly closer to leads concerning the actual identity of the ITK. If he isn't especially careful in the coming future, he's going to get caught.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question is this -

The ITK; if Dexter discovers his identity will he kill him? Or will they try to be "criminal buddies" or something like that. I'm just curious because Dexter isn't some sort of "Punisher" superhero. He doesn't fight the forces of evil. He's a fucked up fucker who feels the need to kill and follows "Harry's code" (whatever his name is) as the guideline towards fulfilling that need.

So he doesn't "have" to kill the ITK. But assuming this series runs for another season I'm guessing they're going to off him one way or another.

Stick
5th December 06, 12:00 AM
Episode 10 was indeed great.

Dexter handling Paul, not the way I figured it'd go down, and I have no idea why it never occurred to me that Dexter might not kill him. Watching Dexter lose it while listening to Paul and just snapping with the frying pan, that was fucking priceless.

Rudy, the ITK, creeps me out a little more. I suppose Angel got real lucky with finding the amputee hooker, but damn is he even luckier to be alive.

How Deb is going to cope with the inevitable reveal, I have no idea- in the book she was in no way connected to the guy. I suppose the compensation is that- well, spoiler- that when Rudy tries to get Dex to kill her with him, and Dex refuses, Deb will finally be able to bond with Dexter seeing as he won't have to try and hide what he is from her.... still not sure that's gonna make up for what Rudy's doing and will do to her.

Stick
9th December 06, 08:28 PM
Oh yeah, and I just felt like putting it out there.

Doakes wants Deb bad. Poor guy.

SuperGuido
9th December 06, 11:24 PM
I'm riveted. This series is fantastic.

Stick
11th December 06, 04:00 PM
Rudy's RNC is sloppier than Dexter's.

Maybe that's cause they've got Rudy choking out flimsy little actresses while Dex got to slap it on a man of comporable size.

All the same, Deb needs to work on her jits.

Oh, and that episode kicked all kinds of ass. Can't wait to see the finale.

Steve
11th December 06, 06:51 PM
Is it getting pretty close to the end?

I have yet to see the newest one, but yeah, they've been getting much better as things come along.

Stick
12th December 06, 12:21 AM
I figure the next episode has to be the season finale.

Not sure how long it will be before the second season will get to us, but I know it's been picked up- Showtime knows they've got a good thing.

Steve
12th December 06, 12:28 AM
Ah, cool!

Oh, and I'm watching 11 now, you are so right!

Rudy's RNC was actually quite horrible! Girl shoulda been choking on that like mad (preasure on the wind pipe)!

Steve
12th December 06, 01:45 AM
Finished it.

Wow, that was an awesome episode...

Dex is getting ready to kick all kinds of ass!

Perhaps I need to pick up the book...

Traditional Tom
19th December 06, 09:56 PM
Finished watching the last episode. It was fairly awesome. Though I don't think I appreciated it as much as the other episodes I'd watched simply because I was (and am) tired.

THE ICE CREAM TRUCK KILLER IS DEXTER'S BROTHER. THEY WERE BOTH FOUND IN THE CONTAINER WITH DEXTER'S MOM CHOPPED UP. ONLY DEXTER WAS RESCUED BY HARRY - HIS OLDER BROTHER WENT ON INTO A MENTAL INSTITUTION. THAT'S HOW HE KNEW TO SEARCH DEXTER'S HOUSE AND DISCOVER HE WAS A MURDERER LIKE HIMSELF IN THE FIRST EPISODE.

Oh yeah - spoiler alert.

I was fairly proud of myself for connecting that Rudy (Mosa?) was Dexter's brother the minute the mother was shown having multi-coloured fingernails. Unfortunately as they revealed it a split-second after I said it out-loud, it took away from the accomplishment. Oh well.

I'm seriously looking forward to the second season. Dexter is closer than ever to being found out for who and what he is. His girlfriend discovering the shoe as well as the black cop's encounter with him at the docks will make this next season veeeery good.

Anyways - spectacular first season of the series. I'd like to thank DT for introducing it to me.

Stick
19th December 06, 11:53 PM
I'm just glad I found it.

The season finale was indeed spectacular.

Dex and Doakes' "lab geek my ass" fight was fucking priceless.

Did anyone notice how Dex sort of stuck his tongue out when he had Doakes by the throat and against the wall? What the hell was that? Was he mocking Doakes? Concentrating? Seriously, putting your tongue between your teeth in a fight is massive bad juju. But it was flipp'n sweet

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/vlcsnap-1285646.jpg

Hell, this face here it seems pretty clear Dex wanted to fucking kill him.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/vlcsnap-1285693.jpg

These two are gonna tangle again, and it's gonna be fucking good.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/vlcsnap-1286656.jpg

And damn, Deb is fucked up for life. There's a part of the book ending I was hoping for- for the record, the series pretty much completely rewrote it all, barely alike-, and that is that Deb overheard Dex and Bryan's conversation, got let in on Dexter's secret, accepted it, and in the next book their relationship changed and got a little closer seeing as she could finally see Dexter for what he was.

They way they wrote it though, that just isn't possible. If she finds out how much Rudy was communicating with Dexter, how much he with held, how he is in part responsible for what happened to her- I don't know if she could forgive him. It's clear she loves him very much, in spite of his obvious excentricities; her telling Doakes to fuck off for harassing Dexter was great.

And Dexter's interaction with Rudy, with Deb laid out and ready to be butchered, man. Now, in the book, Dex is much more conflicted about killing Deb, he feels betrayaedby Harry, by his mother for dying- who he finds Deb sort of ressembles- and there is much more "is he really going to fucking kill her" in there. But when Dex says "I'm very fond of her" all quiet like, it seems pretty clear that Dex feels a lot more than he's willing to admit.

Again with the book ending; in the book Laguerta and Dex run off and find Deb and Bryan at the docks, in the same cargo container. Laguerta shoots Bryan, but not before he stabs her. Laguerta dies, Deb learns Dexter's secret, and Bryan gets away.

I can honestly say I am glad they just chucked the book out the window.

While we'd already been shown that Dex cares for Deb, watching him kill Rudy- "for the safety of my sister"- was another great moment. Dexter threw away the only person in his world that really understands him to protect Deb; he sacrificed of himself- his own brother, the only person he could really connect to- to protect the innocent. Harry probably would be proud.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/vlcsnap-1291713.jpg

Rudy did indeed get pwned.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/tenshirisu/vlcsnap-1292315.jpg

Steve
20th December 06, 11:40 PM
Awesome, Dai. You covered it all!

Thanks again for giving us the heads up on the series.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Comet again.

Doritosaurus Chex
21st December 06, 10:35 AM
After thinking about Paul planting the seeds of doubt about Dexter, it reminded me of the South Park episode where Kenny was kept on life support while Stan, Kyle, and Cartman were arguing over his right to die.

Paul was right, but for the wrong reasons. While Dexter was wrong, but for the right reasons.

Sun Wukong
28th December 06, 02:08 AM
I didn't like episode one at all, he kept referring to how much he didn't feel emotions. The repetition killed my interest, but after watching episode two I feel like the writers are on the right track to making it a better show.

Steve
28th December 06, 03:24 AM
I can see what you mean, but that emphasis on his lack of emotion really pans out (in many ways).

Steve
19th March 07, 03:14 AM
Fantastic show.

I was curious about the second season and I found this while just looking around:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/images/dexter.jpgSEASON 2
Cerone: [Next season will focus on] Dexter's search for meaning. Who am I? What that comes down to is the question of good and evil. What is his purpose? That's going to be our guiding light this season.
- Everybody from the cast will be back next season. Lee, who plays Masuka, will return as a regular.
- The second season will not be based on the second book, Dearly Departed Dexter, instead, the production will rely on their own story arcs. This was good news for King, whose character Doakes gets all of his limbs cut off along with his nose, ears and tongue in the novel. "It would be really hard to act that."

Moderator Kristin Veitch made one more plea to the producers to reveal something meaty about Season Two but was rebuffed by Phillips: "If we told you, Dexter would have to kill you."

From here. (http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2007/03/paley_blood_wil.html) It's not from Showtime, but Showtime hasn't said anything for months.

The word 'arc' only makes me think of animes and manga and how the TV series is a based on a book. So just an arc to then come back to Doakes getting cut up (and back on track bookwise, sorta)?

Anyways, anyone hear any different/other news?

Stick
18th June 07, 05:43 PM
Another bit of Dexter news from the folks over at ign.com

Dexter Makes Friends
The serial killer has a new ally in Season 2.

June 15, 2007 - Jaime Murray, an English actress best known in America for a role on Hustle, will be joining the cast of Dexter. According the The Hollywood Reporter, Murray will portray Lila, an artist and former addict who befriends secret vigilante serial killer Dexter and ultimately becomes his close ally. The Reporter describes Lila as "wild, unconventional, smart and daring and someone who plays by her own rules." Murray will appear in 10 episodes of Season 2 of Dexter, which debuts September 30th.

Showtime will be pairing Dexter with another returning drama this fall, Brotherhood, which will air at 10:00 pm Sundays, after Dexter at 9:00.

link (http://tv.ign.com/articles/796/796924p1.html)

frumpleswift
18th June 07, 05:59 PM
And I was hoping you meant Dexter's Laboratory. Shame.

Stick
18th June 07, 06:13 PM
This Dexter is vastly and unquestionably superior in every imaginable way, no discussion.

frumpleswift
18th June 07, 06:14 PM
Almost certainly...but it is still not good enough to make me want Showtime.

Stick
18th June 07, 06:16 PM
Pfffft, what you think I have Showtime?

Steve
19th June 07, 11:10 PM
September 30th, eh?

Well, I've waited this long...