PDA

View Full Version : Fearless: Another review.

Sirc
19th September 06, 06:10 PM
So I procured Fearless a few days ago and finished watching it.

I've got to say one thing, kudos to Jet Li going out like this. I am so glad that he has realized he's getting too old or whatever his reason is and is going to stop making MARTIAL ARTS MOVIES. Unlike Jackie Chan who has gone from one of the greatest Chop Socky, Action, fighting movie guys, to a complete dufus. This movie isn't Jet Li's best by any means, but it was really good. The fight scenes were really great and the story was pretty solid. The score was excellent and the cinematogrophy was great. Fight choreography was spectacular, probably one of the best ones I've seen from his movies thus far. And the acting wasn't that bad either.

No real complaints, some parts kind of dragged on a little, but all in all, it was an awesome movie. I'd say 8/10 for most of it and some parts were 7.5/10.

Neildo
19th September 06, 06:12 PM
The Medallion, Tuxedo....FOR SHAME JACKIE.

I should see this. I might even (gasp) pay for it.

bad credit
20th September 06, 12:07 AM
So WTF is the deal with a bunch of the fights being cut out of the US release? Like his battle with a MT fighter. I think I'll wait for the uncut DVD.

Osiris
20th September 06, 12:18 AM
I didn't see a thai fight in my bootleg. Those were cut from the international versions too. Just didn't make the movie.

bad credit
20th September 06, 12:25 AM
Well, fuckstix.

Sirc
20th September 06, 12:36 AM
It's mostly because the movie itself is pretty long and fighting a Muay Thai guy before Muay Thai was invented would be kind of weird, no?

WarPhalange
20th September 06, 12:49 AM
Bullshit. MTers have round kicks powerful enough to rip the spacetime fabric. They simply go back in time.

AAAhmed46
20th September 06, 03:54 PM
Bullshit. MTers have round kicks powerful enough to rip the spacetime fabric. They simply go back in time.

Oh yeah?

Well kyokushin people can not only rip time space with thier roundhouses, they can stop time space.

BEAT THAT MUAY THAI!

Osiris
20th September 06, 03:58 PM
It's mostly because the movie itself is pretty long and fighting a Muay Thai guy before Muay Thai was invented would be kind of weird, no?

Eh? Thai fighting is pretty old. I'm pretty sure there was a muay ----- around during that time that would've fit.

AAAhmed46
20th September 06, 03:59 PM
So Hua Yuan Ja ever actually fight a thai fighter?

Shawarma
20th September 06, 04:09 PM
MT most certainly existed and was competitive too at the time of Fearless. I even think that the ring variety of MT existed, although it might have resembled Muay Boran more than it does today.

Sirc
21st September 06, 02:12 AM
O rly? I know nothing of the history but just made an uneducated guess. But I don't know, the MT fight scene kind of sucked anyway and didn't make much sense. And here's why:

Highlight to read:
He went off to some random village somewhere and became this hermitish person living a peaceful and untouched life. It wouldn't make sense that this MT guy just happened upon him out of nowhere.

WarPhalange
21st September 06, 02:13 AM
Oh yeah?

Well kyokushin people can not only rip time space with thier roundhouses, they can stop time space.

BEAT THAT MUAY THAI!

Karate was invented by farmers who needed a new way to defend against rice.

Muay Thai was created when a King was thrown into a pit and had to fight 40 ogres at once.

Sirc
21st September 06, 02:20 AM
Karate was invented by farmers who needed a new way to defend against rice.

Muay Thai was created when a King was thrown into a pit and had to fight 40 ogres at once.

Hey now. Cambodians are ugly, but I wouldn't call them ogres.

bad credit
21st September 06, 03:01 AM
If I remember my history right, and by history I mean the Master of the Flying Guillotine movie, MT used to be called Siamese Boxing. Hell, the country used to be called Siam, they didn't start putting Thailand on maps until, what, the 70's?

In other news, have you all heard about the coup? I've been praying that nobody gets hurt and things work out there.

Alex
23rd September 06, 05:08 AM
yeah i really liked this movie but theres a bit of a lull in the middle. a fight scene there to break it up would have been nice (and i assume thats why they had the MT fight there, dunno why they took it out and left in all the wandering in the hills shit)

Sirc, this film is set in the late 1800s isnt it? MT had been around a fair while by then. although god knows what the fuck he was doing near thailand. I really liked the way he and the karate guy interacted. very cool.

Sirc
23rd September 06, 12:32 PM
yeah i really liked this movie but theres a bit of a lull in the middle. a fight scene there to break it up would have been nice (and i assume thats why they had the MT fight there, dunno why they took it out and left in all the wandering in the hills shit)

Sirc, this film is set in the late 1800s isnt it? MT had been around a fair while by then. although god knows what the fuck he was doing near thailand. I really liked the way he and the karate guy interacted. very cool.

Probably, I don't know my East Asian history as I wish I did. Though I don't see the possibility of him being near Thailand being all that impossible. I mean the Hmong folk traveled down south to the Thailand without much of a hitch from Southern China.

Ronin.74
24th September 06, 01:16 PM
I saw this movie yesterday and thought it was great. The fight scenes were entertaining and well choreographed and it had a decent story put together. I would still like to see a full version of the film with all edited scenes put back in.

As far as him fighting the MT fighter, it would mostly depend on where in China he had gone to get away from his former life. South West China does share borders with Vietnam, Laos, and Myanmar (Burma), but China does not share a direct border with Thailand. I do know from personal experience that there are people of Northern Thai descent that live in the South western Chinese province of YunNan. So if, according to the story, he was in the Southwestern part of the country it would be plausible that he could have encountered a Thai Boxer, or possibly a Burmese boxer.

What I found interesting in the film is how the Japanese characters were handled. The Japanese fighter was shown as honorable and having respect for his fellow MAist, while the Japanese businessman was shown as an evil, greedy, corrupt murderer. I also liked how the Japanese fighter at the end showed that he had no respect for his own countryman because of how he rigged everything to make Huo Yuan Jia lose. It kind of let the Japanese save face in this case. I actually expected every Japanese character (as well as all other foreign characters) to be painted as the devil in this film.

kungfujew
24th September 06, 02:25 PM
The handling of the Japanese characters was very similar to their portrayal in Fist of Legend, with the nuanced characters of the old Sensei and the spectacled local functionary. Even the swaggering master of the Shanghai karate school (basically the same character as the swordsman in Fearless) was disgusted and ashamed when he discovered that his fight with Huo Yuan Jia was rigged.

Sirc
24th September 06, 02:47 PM
For everyone who went and watched this in the theatres, was it dubbed or subtitled?

AAAhmed46
24th September 06, 03:33 PM
I pirated it, so it was in sub-titles.

Ronin.74
24th September 06, 04:38 PM
Fortunately it was sub-titled. I hate it when they dub films.

AAAhmed46
24th September 06, 04:45 PM
So did Hua Yuan Ja actually ever fight a karate loser?