PDA

View Full Version : Models flunk BMI, get Spain fashion boot

Teh El Macho
8th September 06, 04:23 PM
'bout fucking time. I hope this become a trend. If I'm going to see a model, she should at least have some meat on her bones dammit!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060908/ap_on_en_ot/spain_thin_models_1

Zendetta
8th September 06, 04:26 PM
awesome.

Kiko
8th September 06, 06:13 PM
Huzzah!

If this woman (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/08/nurse.intruder.ap/index.html) had been a stick bird model, she'd be dead!

Truculent Sheep
8th September 06, 07:29 PM
Huzzah!

If this woman (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/08/nurse.intruder.ap/index.html) had been a stick bird model, she'd be dead!

In Britain, she'd have been done for murder and would have probably had to pay compensation to the arsehole's family. Why? Apparently it stops us living by 'The Law Of The Jungle'. So that's alright, then...

Kiko
9th September 06, 06:40 AM
No self defense of one's home, eh? A man's home is no longer his castle there.

Truculent Sheep
9th September 06, 10:51 AM
No self defense of one's home, eh? A man's home is no longer his castle there.

No - our job is to fund the state, but not necessarily get fuck all in return from it. Rule Brittania!

WarPhalange
9th September 06, 12:54 PM
'bout fucking time. I hope this become a trend. If I'm going to see a model, she should at least have some meat on her bones dammit!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060908/ap_on_en_ot/spain_thin_models_1

It's about fucking time. I seriously thought this thread was going to be about them being too fat. A welcome surprise. Seriously, I could break most of those women in half. And I'm a pansy.

Zendetta
10th September 06, 11:06 PM
THis thread needs to mutate into a thread of hot girls-with-enough-meat on their bones.

But then I just know somebody will taint it with pix of morbidly obese lingerie models.

WarPhalange
11th September 06, 01:17 AM
Fuck, you're always one step ahead of me.

Truculent Sheep
11th September 06, 01:19 PM
THis thread needs to mutate into a thread of hot girls-with-enough-meat on their bones.

But then I just know somebody will taint it with pix of morbidly obese lingerie models.

Tony Blair seems to have married one...

(She's the one on the right...)

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1288/553/400/blair_perving_at_teenage_girls_arse.jpg

Thar she blows!!!

WarPhalange
11th September 06, 08:37 PM
That's a fat 404 error.

Kiko
15th September 06, 07:14 AM
Stick bird so pretty! (http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20060915/2006_09_14t101012_298x450_us_italy_models.jpg?x=22 8&y=345&sig=M1GD1ZdL9XhE6mwuslhn4w--)

WarPhalange
15th September 06, 01:59 PM
I get it now. The leader (Shah? I forget their title) of Iran is saying that the Holocaust never happend. He's saying it was just a big super model convention.

Lights Out
15th September 06, 02:16 PM
Some of the top models have refused to be weighted for the Cibeles show.

WarPhalange
15th September 06, 05:03 PM
You should never ask a woman's weight, fool.

Kiko
15th September 06, 05:10 PM
I thought it was age. I would think models would be PROUD of how little they weigh.

Ninjarina
15th September 06, 05:38 PM
The fashion world is owned by gay men and as so, they dictate what will be shown and who gives a shit what anyone else thinks? A healthy woman's body doesn't display clothing well as it may be harder to fit curves (breasts, hips, ass) and creates wrinkling; she's better off being a walking hanger. Most runway clothing, especially couture, is not designed as "ready-to-wear" (i.e. most of the stuff you see at the mall) so the model is better off being a blank canvas for the clothes; that's pretty much her job description when you think about it.

WarPhalange
15th September 06, 07:41 PM
I thought it was age. I would think models would be PROUD of how little they weigh.

How many do you think are content with their bodies?

Kiko
15th September 06, 07:52 PM
How many women or how many models, PL?

Given that Ninjarina is probably right, it doesn't matter whether models are content. They're display props. I can't imagine it's easy to keep a body like that without severely terrible eating habits or worse sort of other stuff.

Women's self esteem is tied into lots of things, including body image. No one is ever content, but the goal is to be comfortable, I'd guess. It amazes me that we have so many at the extreme ends of obesity and anorexic. I just read that in homes where Mom is either on a diet or has mentioned stuff about weight watching at all, the daughters are more likely to end up with eating disorders. I'm not just talking teens - these are grade school kids. It's disgusting.

WarPhalange
16th September 06, 12:45 AM
How many of those models?

I know that for sports, only the MVP's/champions are content, and even they keep training so as to not lose their edge.

Diets are shitty anyway. Healthy eating is what should be enforced. If you tell them "eat healthy food in good portions and exercise", they won't have much room to screw up.

Lights Out
16th September 06, 07:23 AM
What I really don't understand is why teenage girls fixate so much on show models.

I mean, look at the surveys made in male magazine, you rarely see a show model in the "most desirable" list. Usually, altrought slim, those women are not as skinny as show models.

Shawarma
16th September 06, 07:56 AM
Because teenage girls are FUCKED UP!

Kiko
16th September 06, 08:08 AM
What I really don't understand is why teenage girls fixate so much on show models.

I mean, look at the surveys made in male magazine, you rarely see a show model in the "most desirable" list. Usually, altrought slim, those women are not as skinny as show models.

Because teenage (and most females in general) girls don't read men's magazines, they pay attention to the drivel in magazines, ads (aimed at them so they buy more stuff, not so they'll be well adjusted people) and maternal advice/opinions - which are more often than not influenced by the same magazines/ads. Oh, and there's the brilliant effect of peer pressure which comes from other less than brilliant female teens.

Which is the same thing Shawarma just said, with a bit more explanation.

Lights Out
16th September 06, 08:13 AM
In short, women are crazy.

Yeah, knew that.

Kiko
16th September 06, 08:16 AM
We're predisposed to it and all that. Those wacky hormones!

Perhaps there should be additional courses taught in schools at elementary levels. Consumerism and marketing stuff for kids. I've already covered mine. Whatever.

Lights Out
16th September 06, 10:21 AM
That would be a good idea.

Something like "Mass media society education", or something like that.

Kiko
16th September 06, 01:54 PM
It would be, wouldn't it? Yet another thing that parents could teach their kids, but either don't know it themselves, or don't take the time.

WarPhalange
16th September 06, 02:22 PM
While we're at it, we should reform the entire education system.

My sister is currently in 10th grade. 2 more years and she has to decide on a career or go to college with one in mind.

The problem? All she's ever done has been math, history, english, and barely touched a bit of science. Oh, and PE. I remember graduating high-school and thinking "damn, I'm lucky that I actually have a bit of intelligence, or else I'd be fucked right now" because high-school did shit all to prepare me for life.

There need to be courses or classes where they try out as much different shit as possible. From a business class (economics?) to a programming class, to teaching lower grade students, etc, so the kids get a taste of what's out there.

Kiko
16th September 06, 02:43 PM
While we're at it, we should reform the entire education system.
My sister is currently in 10th grade. 2 more years and she has to decide on a career or go to college with one in mind.

The education system isn't the problem, UNLESS you actually expect it to prepare anyone for joining the workforce or deciding on a what to do with their lives. On one hand there's too much pressure on kids to become high paid professionals with no real consideration of whether they're interested in the field. On the other hand there's the ones who can barely read enough so that fast food places have cash registers with color coded picture buttons on them.

I have a question that probably deserves another thread. But PL I do think it's unfair to expect teens to make such a decision even if they're exposed to everything you suggest. It is a good idea though. More real life training. Yes, I know, that school and education is more of teaching kids/people how to learn than what they've learned and certainly not about what they retain. How much of what you learned in school is really used in your job?

Lights Out
16th September 06, 07:06 PM
A quick on-topic note, at least five models have been kicked out for haven a BMI lower than 18.

WarPhalange
16th September 06, 10:44 PM
The education system isn't the problem, UNLESS you actually expect it to prepare anyone for joining the workforce or deciding on a what to do with their lives. On one hand there's too much pressure on kids to become high paid professionals with no real consideration of whether they're interested in the field. On the other hand there's the ones who can barely read enough so that fast food places have cash registers with color coded picture buttons on them.

I have a question that probably deserves another thread. But PL I do think it's unfair to expect teens to make such a decision even if they're exposed to everything you suggest. It is a good idea though. More real life training. Yes, I know, that school and education is more of teaching kids/people how to learn than what they've learned and certainly not about what they retain. How much of what you learned in school is really used in your job?

I'm not saying we teach them stuff like economics or whatever. Just give them a taste so they know more less what it's about. For example, science class. It fucking sucks. They don't teach SHIT about science. They do the motions without teaching them why they are doing it. Until I decided to major in physics and learned science on my own, I hadn't had a clue what it was even though I had been reading astronomy books since I was 7. The method is what they should teach. None of that "there are 8 planets in the solar system. This is called H20, the speed of light is fuck, I don't even remember" yadda yadda.

They need to teach them what the principles of science are. Approach everything skeptically. Require proof for everything. Be open minded, etc.

Moving on, you do the same for things like economics. Have everybody have a "business" or whatever and have the kids exchange "money" and "services". I was so bored in 6th grade that a friend an I created our own money (each our own) and we exchanged it for things like borrowing an eraser or whatever. We got in trouble and it got confiscated later because we were deemed too "materialistic" or whatever. The guy was an asshole, though, so I didn't really care. Do a short unit on computer programming. Kids will pick up something like Java fast. More importantly, it will make them learn abstractly. Did you know that many adults cannot even think abstractly? That's just shameful. And you lose the ability to learn that after a certain age. A short music unit, like my brother is doing now. Pick up an instrument, any instrument. Some art, everything.

Also, find some way to implement the math they are learning. I know how to do some crazy math now, but have never actually had to use it before. Therefore learning it is worthless, boring, and tedious. If you make the kids use it, they will understand the value of it more. Word problems don't cut it.

The fact is, you can't know what's out there in the world if someone doesn't show you. I was a fucking nerd in high school. Why? Because nobody showed me how cool wrestling was. Nobody showed me how awesome musical instruments were. Or lifting weights, or a plethora of other activities. Yeah, my parents may be to blame for that (my dad is a lazy ass. I told him to sign my brother up (at age 13) for some sports, and my dad said "it's too late for that now" as in he's too old.), but school isn't exactly doing anything to help. I had a chance to do all those things, but I had no incentive to try them out in the first place. I suspect I'm not alone. For every person who is like ICY and will try anything, there is someone like me who will not try anything. Either because of shyness, or laziness, or just because they don't know. So a class where they are forced to do it can show them how cool something is. Or, how badly they were mistaken about it (i.e. if someone wants to be a singer or actor in the future or something, but they haven't done anything about it yet).

Anyway, rant over. I had to get this off my chest.

DAYoung
17th September 06, 03:53 AM
http://employees.oneonta.edu/farberas/arth/Images/110images/sl20_images/Ingres/Ingres_turkish-bath.jpg

Zendetta
17th September 06, 02:54 PM
W00t!

Zaftiq orgy FTW.