PDA

View Full Version : The Protector

riddle
3rd September 06, 03:33 PM
Yo anyone stoked about this new Tony Jaa movie coming out in the states? I saw a preview for it the other day and i cant wait to go see this movie, its gonna be insane. Anyone else looking forward to seein the protector?

Osiris
3rd September 06, 03:44 PM
I know I was. Last year.

Neildo
3rd September 06, 03:56 PM
I haven't seen it yet (No home PC for downloading) so I'll pay to see it in theatres.

ThaiBoxerShorts
3rd September 06, 04:01 PM
Oh, it's just Tom Yum Goong with an English title. Damn. I thought we were getting a new Tony Jaa movie.

Neildo
3rd September 06, 04:24 PM
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1388074/

Looks like there's a new one being made now, probably wont be done until next year, which means it probably won't be in north american theatres until 2008.

:(

Oh well.

Shawarma
3rd September 06, 05:07 PM
TYG had the worst plot of any movie in the history of chop-socky. It was a really cool movie though, especially the one-take 5 minute fight scene where Jaa runs up several flights of stairs and kicks ass like Atilla the Hun.

Osiris
3rd September 06, 05:12 PM
I like the part when they leave the temple, then, for no apparant reason, decide to turn around in the middle of the night to rush back, RIGHT as a capoeirsta was doing cool poses in the sprinkler system. Awful, but so awesome.

Neildo
3rd September 06, 05:22 PM
awfully awesome?

Or

awesomely awful?

Osiris
3rd September 06, 05:29 PM
Both. Its a horrible movie, and some of the fight scenes even fail, but damn, when it gets into gear, its classic. Jaa vs a Capoeirista is an excellent fight and then when he fights like 80 guys.

ThaiBoxerShorts
3rd September 06, 05:31 PM
Awesome despite being awful.

The fight scenes are better than Ong Bak. The fight against the capoeira guy is one of the greatest scenes in the history of martial arts movies. But the plot... Well, Ong Bak's plot wasn't great, but at least it made fucking sense.

Shawarma
3rd September 06, 05:45 PM
"DID YOU TAKE MY ELEPHANT!?"

"Take your WHAT?"

"YOU TOOK MY ELEPHANT, DIDN'T YOU? YOU BASTARD, WHERE IS MY ELEPHANT!?"

"Dude, I have no idea what you're even talking abou..."

"FLYING KNEE!"

There you have it, all the dialogue in TYG summarized in one post.

ThaiBoxerShorts
3rd September 06, 05:50 PM
And now, Ong Bak:

"DID YOU TAKE MY BUDDHA STATUE HEAD!?"

"Take your WHAT?"

"YOU TOOK MY BUDDHA STATUE HEAD, DIDN'T YOU? YOU BASTARD, WHERE IS MY BUDDHA STATUE HEAD!?"

"FLYING KNEE!"

DAYoung
3rd September 06, 05:54 PM
I want to see the Surrealist version:

"DID YOU TAKE MY FLYING KNEE?"

"Tenzin Norgay. Gherkin."

"YOU TOOK MY FLYING KNEE! GIVE IT TO ME, LOBSTER!"

"The flying cow drinks absinthe. Also: testicles."

"AAARGHHHHH. LINT REMOVAL!!!"

Kiko
4th September 06, 06:39 AM
STOP! Granola is painful nasally!

sogekihei
6th September 06, 03:01 PM
I saw it earlier this year after one of my friends downloaded it and I thought that some of the fight scenes were really good....well seeing as the plot is kind of stupid, the fight scenes compensate for it. The is one scene where he takes on about 50 guys in black suites (kinda like the Smith fight in the matrix). That fight was very well coreographed.

kungfujew
6th September 06, 03:05 PM
I want to see the Surrealist version:

"DID YOU TAKE MY FLYING KNEE?"

"Tenzin Norgay. Gherkin."

"YOU TOOK MY FLYING KNEE! GIVE IT TO ME, LOBSTER!"

"AAARGHHHHH. LINT REMOVAL!!!"

Playing tonight at the Arts Cinema Gallery: An Andelusian Flying Knee, by Tonydore Jaali.

Osiris
6th September 06, 03:31 PM
The is one scene where he takes on about 50 guys in black suites (kinda like the Smith fight in the matrix).

No. Not at all. Don't ever compare Jaa to such crap again.

AAAhmed46
9th September 06, 12:18 AM
And now, Ong Bak:

"DID YOU TAKE MY BUDDHA STATUE HEAD!?"

"Take your WHAT?"

"YOU TOOK MY BUDDHA STATUE HEAD, DIDN'T YOU? YOU BASTARD, WHERE IS MY BUDDHA STATUE HEAD!?"

"FLYING KNEE!"

HAHAHAHA!

AWsome.

Yiktin Voxbane
9th September 06, 10:47 PM
Nothing says love, like a veiwing of Kung-fu Hustle , the knife scene is awesome in ways we dont even have ways of describing.

Steve
9th September 06, 11:35 PM
Nothing says love, like a veiwing of Kung-fu Hustle , the knife scene is awesome in ways we dont even have ways of describing.

No, nothing says love like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecRoyNzhGvg

Zendetta
10th September 06, 02:28 PM

I had some EXCELLENT absinthe the night before last. THe buzz from that stuff is strange.

In other news: word is the Protector was significantly shortened for its American release - to the point where it makes dramatically less sense than it did before.

I think my favorite scene in Ong Bak is the Tuk Tuk explosion.

Speaking of TIMELESS MARTIAL ARTS CLASSSICS: last night me and my crew got wicked stoned and watched Circle of Iron last night. Yes, David Carradine is still a douche. THe movie is still so fucking awesome it hurts.

Neildo
10th September 06, 02:35 PM
So the concensus is, spend my money on munchies, and download this bitch?

Fuckers, shortening the NA release.

Isn't Quentin Tarantino the money man for this shit? I don't think he'd want to shorten it, but you never know...hollywood makes people stupid apparently.

Zendetta
10th September 06, 05:11 PM
stoopid round eyes have short attention span.

Steve
11th September 06, 12:20 AM
In other news: word is the Protector was significantly shortened for its American release - to the point where it makes dramatically less sense than it did before.

Yeah. My friend saw a downloaded version of the film and mentioned a 20 min fight scene with no cuts (impressive!), vs a 5 min scene (mentioned, I think above).

Who knows what else they might of cut out.

Jaric
11th September 06, 10:12 AM
This movie was a piece of shit. I watched it last night and it looks like the fight coreographer was goddamned steven segal.

Shawarma
11th September 06, 10:35 AM
^^^^^^^^Obviously a sexual deviant.

Osiris
11th September 06, 11:26 AM
This movie was a piece of shit. I watched it last night and it looks like the fight coreographer was goddamned steven segal.

You suck. Please die.

Jaric
13th September 06, 10:36 AM
Have you even seen the goddamned film? 90% of the movie was him breaking limbs as people ran at him with arms and legs outstretched. Then the last 10% is him WITH FUCKING ELEPHANT BONES tied to his forearms kill people...retarded....

Man the more MT I learn the more his films looking nothing fucking like MT...
Like that stance he does...what the fuck is that?

Osiris
13th September 06, 10:51 AM
Have you even seen the goddamned film? 90% of the movie was him breaking limbs as people ran at him with arms and legs outstretched. Then the last 10% is him WITH FUCKING ELEPHANT BONES tied to his forearms kill people...retarded....

Awesome.

Man the more MT I learn the more his films looking nothing fucking like MT...
Like that stance he does...what the fuck is that?

It resembles muay thai to a reasonable extent, seeing as its a fucking movie. Look at the old styles and you'll see crap like that. Don't know where that stance came from, but the striking techniques that aren't obviously wushu make sense as stylized thai.

Jaric
14th September 06, 09:21 AM
If you think tying elephant bones to your arms and slashing peoples tendons with elephant bone shards is cool well then you sir are an idiot and you should please die.

Osiris
14th September 06, 09:42 AM
ITS A KUNG FU MOVIE. If it didn't have the most flamboyantly dumb bullshit possible, I wouldn't go.

Shawarma
14th September 06, 09:46 AM
Admit it, Jaric, you're just pissed off because this kung fu movie didn't feature Van Damme's butt cheeks.

Jaric
14th September 06, 02:03 PM
Hey man I agree Kung Fu films are good for a laugh, but this one sucked. You just people just think that since its associated with MT its all cool to say its the best martial art film ever. Yout fucking posers jumping on the fucking bandwagon....now I gotta go to MT class...then to BJJ after....

Diggler McFeely
14th September 06, 07:45 PM
I no longer get worked up about upcoming movies. Most of them turn out to be huge disappointments or just plain pieces of shit.

Osiris
14th September 06, 10:39 PM
Hey man I agree Kung Fu films are good for a laugh, but this one sucked. You just people just think that since its associated with MT its all cool to say its the best martial art film ever. Yout fucking posers jumping on the fucking bandwagon....now I gotta go to MT class...then to BJJ after....

Im also a huge fan of most Asian movies worth their salt. No thai bias. I wouldn't say this is the best KF movie ever, but its the best one on a long time, just like ong bak.

Stick
14th September 06, 10:46 PM
Check this out, should be up untill Monday the 18th, the audio review from Ebert & Roeper at the Movies featuring Roeper and his guest critic while Ebert heals up, Tyler.

Scroll on down, The Protector is at the bottom of the list, just click the audio icon (http://tvplex.go.com/buenavista/ebertandroeper/today.html)..... Listen to the whole thing, trust me, it's worth it, you'll know when you hear it.