PDA

View Full Version : Assassination of G. W. Bush film controversy

Dark Helmet
1st September 06, 05:19 PM
British film courts controversy by fabricating Bush assassination

A controversial British film that fabricates the assassination of U.S. President George Bush will screen at the Toronto International Film Festival and air on a BBC channel later this fall.

The film Death of a President, produced by Gabriel Range, Simon Finch and Ed Guiney, combines real news and documentary footage with acted scenes to create the story.

The 90-minute film takes the form of a fictional documentary looking back at the assassination of Bush in October 2007 in Chicago.

In the film, Bush is confronted by a massive demonstration against the Iraq war when he arrives in Chicago and is gunned down by a sniper as he leaves a speech.

The hunt for the killer focuses on a Syrian-born man, Jamal Abu Zikri, giving an opportunity to explore issues of the political climate in the U.S. amid the war on terror.

Actors play fictional secret service agents and aides who recall the shooting in interviews recorded for the retrospective documentary.

TIFF reviewer Noah Cowan calls the film "dangerous and breathtakingly original," and says Range does a masterful job of integrating the real and the fictional, using special effects.

On the TIFF program, which starts Sept. 7, the film is referred to as D.O.A.P.

Peter Dale, head of More4, the BBC digital channel airing the film Oct. 9, called it a "thought-provoking critique" of contemporary U.S. political realities.

"It's an extraordinarily gripping and powerful piece of work, a drama constructed like a documentary that looks back at the assassination of George Bush as the starting point for a very gripping detective story," he said.

Dale acknowledged that the film describes an unwelcome scenario and could be considered provocative.

"I'm sure that there will be people who will be upset by it, but when you watch it you realize what a sophisticated piece of work it is," he said.

Range and Finch have done two similar projects for BBC2, both of them critiques of Britain's body politic that combined real footage with fictional disaster story.

The Day Britain Stopped shows a complete failure of U.K. transit systems after a rail strike and plane crash coincide. The Man Who Broke Britain posits a Britain in financial turmoil after oil prices peak and a shady trader loses millions for a major bank.

See yah at the movies.

kungfujew
1st September 06, 05:23 PM
Holy shit. Yeah I read about this. This could never be done in the US, understandably. I hope it actually sees theatres...

Dark Helmet
1st September 06, 05:29 PM
I would certainly watch it. Iím Canadian so I have no qualms.

Besides I personally enjoy these 'what if' type movies and people should see it as such.

WarPhalange
1st September 06, 05:33 PM
This could never be done in the US, understandably. I hope it actually sees theatres...

Wait, what? Don't we have Freedom of Speech or something like that?

kungfujew
1st September 06, 05:34 PM
I would certainly watch it. Iím Canadian so I have no qualms.

Besides I personally enjoy these 'what if' type movies and people should see it as such.

Hell I might have to go to Canadia just to watch it... got extra room in your theatres (what with the wild moose running amock) for a few displaced Americans?

Dark Helmet
1st September 06, 05:37 PM
Hell I might have to go to Canadia just to watch it... got extra room in your theatres (what with the wild moose running amock) for a few displaced Americans?
We have very large theaters here on the count of so many of people's husky's bring them inside intead of leaving outside with the sled.

Shawarma
1st September 06, 05:39 PM
Who gives a fuck. Did anybody bitch and moan when Forsyth had a terrorist attempt to assasinate Charles de Gaulle in Day of the Jackal? If this is going to be like the entire Kurtlar Vadisi outrage again, even though nobody had seen the fucking movie, Imma get pissed off.

Dark Helmet
1st September 06, 06:45 PM
Kurtlar Vadisi ????

Shawarma
1st September 06, 07:06 PM
Turkish movie. Basically Rambo with Evil Babyeating Americans instead of Evil Babyeating Russians. Everybody up in arms howling and wailing about how HORRIBLE and EVIL the movie was and how it was a great empowerment to terrorists worldwide. Nobody ever saw it.

I saw the movie. It was Super-patriotic Turkish bullshit, not Jihadiist bullshit. Was highly disappointed by the knee-jerk reaction of Americans who just read about it.

Neildo
1st September 06, 07:26 PM
You forgot about Tito. WTF?!?!?!

edit: Holy shit, gary Busey and Billy Zane were in it too? Damn, I wanna see this now.

Shawarma
1st September 06, 07:32 PM
Tito Ortiz was not an EVIL AMERICAHATING MUSLIM-LOVING TRAITOR NIGGER like people were whining about. Tito Ortiz portrayed the only non-assholic American in the movie. He even had lines, dubbed into Turkish.

kungfujew
1st September 06, 07:38 PM
Gary Busey was the Jewish doctor who harvested Iraqi children's organs.

Shawarma
1st September 06, 07:42 PM
Yeah. He was beyond hilarious. I wonder if he'll ever get work in Hollywood again?

Neildo
1st September 06, 07:50 PM
Who cares. Busey's awesome without hollywood.

Steve
1st September 06, 10:47 PM
British film courts controversy by fabricating Bush assassination(snip)

I'm glad that I live close to the boarder, if it's not shown here I really could just drive up and watch it.

Not that I need much reason to visit Vancouver anyway.

WarPhalange
1st September 06, 11:00 PM
It's called bit torrent. You could probably download that mutherfucker in a day max.

Steve
1st September 06, 11:02 PM
It's called bit torrent. You could probably download that mutherfucker in a day max.

Actually, I'd like to contribute my $ by seeing it in a theater.

WarPhalange
1st September 06, 11:07 PM
Wait, you think that any significant part of your money is going towards the movie?

Steve
1st September 06, 11:13 PM
Wait, you think that any significant part of your money is going towards the movie?

I would think that some of the money would go to the creator of the movie (how ever small that might be).

If not, supporting Canada's economy is smart in case I need to move there in the future.

WarPhalange
2nd September 06, 01:20 AM
I hear $7 can feed a whole family over there.

Steve
2nd September 06, 01:25 AM
I hear $7 can feed a whole family over there.

Only if the mother is still breast feeding.

WarPhalange
2nd September 06, 02:27 AM
Luckily that's still legal over there.

DAYoung
2nd September 06, 03:51 AM
I'm glad that I live close to the boarder, if it's not shown here I really could just drive up and watch it.

See, this is what I miss, living in Australia. No country is in driving range.

WarPhalange
2nd September 06, 03:52 AM
And yet you're still plauged by illegal immigrants, aren't you?

DAYoung
2nd September 06, 03:55 AM
And yet you're still plauged by illegal immigrants, aren't you?

Apparently. At least, that's what the Government and the white nationalists say - and neither of these organisations has ever lied to me (http://www.truthoverboard.com/story1.html) before.

bob
2nd September 06, 04:14 AM
It's kinda amazing that the first reaction of most of the Americans on this forum was; "that film will never be shown here."

I guess any potential distributor would have to factor in the possibility that the fiction would become reality.

What a great country. I wish I lived somewhere where politicians lived in constant fear of assassination (instead of parading around smugly in sponsored tracksuits.)

DAYoung
2nd September 06, 05:24 AM
It's kinda amazing that the first reaction of most of the Americans on this forum was; "that film will never be shown here."

I guess any potential distributor would have to factor in the possibility that the fiction would become reality.

What a great country. I wish I lived somewhere where politicians lived in constant fear of assassination (instead of parading around smugly in sponsored tracksuits.)

Even if we did live in a country where pollies were culled, it'd probably be the Left-wing ones.

bob
2nd September 06, 07:21 AM
Even if we did live in a country where pollies were culled, it'd probably be the Left-wing ones.

Didn't know we had any.

DAYoung
2nd September 06, 07:58 AM
Didn't know we had any.

We don't.

But if we did...

..........................http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/special_fx/bullet_hole_03_sm.gif

.....http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/special_fx/bullet_hole_03_sm.gif

...............http://www.matthawkins.co.uk/special_fx/bullet_hole_03_sm.gif

ICY
2nd September 06, 08:02 AM
Fucking awesome.

Mind you, this will never be in theatres in my area, not because of censorship, but because I live in Buttfuck, Nowhere and the theatres only have commercially viable poo.

Truculent Sheep
2nd September 06, 08:10 AM
Looks like Channel 4 is attention-whoring again...

Honestly, you'll never meet a more aloof, pretensious and arrogant pack of Hoxton fuckwits with over-priced houses. Except possinly at the Guardian. Ironically, they earn their ad revenue by churning out crap like Big Brother for the masses they look down on, but that's the UK 'meeja' for you.

I can remember when Channel 4 used to show all sorts of odd European and Canadian art cartoons - it was more fun then.

DAYoung
2nd September 06, 08:15 AM
Looks like Channel 4 is attention-whoring again...

Honestly, you'll never meet a more aloof, pretensious and arrogant pack of Hoxton fuckwits with over-priced houses. Except possinly at the Guardian. Ironically, they earn their ad revenue by churning out crap like Big Brother for the masses they look down on, but that's the UK 'meeja' for you.

I can remember when Channel 4 used to show all sorts of odd European and Canadian art cartoons - it was more fun then.

Rupert Murdoch is very upset that you're so disillusioned. He has sent some gentlemen to your house to help you regain your faith in the fourth estate.