PDA

View Full Version : Moon Knight

OZZ
22nd August 06, 08:19 PM
Just wondering if anyone besides myself was reading the new Moon Knight Series. It is up to issue #4 now and I have to say I am quite liking it so far.
The new writing team has made the character much more edgy and the book has a nice dark feel to it. The art is quite good and I think the storyline will stand up over time. The'final' fight between him and Bushmaster is pretty brutal.
I have always like Moon Knight as a character, but found his other series to be a bit lacking. The edginess of this new series changes that and I reccommend it .

Phrost
22nd August 06, 09:20 PM
I read the comic as a kid. I always liked him better than Batman.

Truculent Sheep
23rd August 06, 10:51 AM
In '88, I read a really good issue of MK. It featured him going to a Carribean island and trying to bust some drug dealers. In doing so, he falls in love with a policewoman, who is also a drug addict, and has had her child taken into care. In the end, they prevail, but she dies tragically... Remarkably bleak and adult for a Comic Code book, when all is said.

It was oddly affecting for an 11 year old like me too. Then again, I was really getting off on all the X-Men-style angst in Transformers at the time, so there you go.

OZZ
23rd August 06, 01:31 PM
I read the comic as a kid. I always liked him better than Batman.
If you liked it then, you will like the new series twice as much. You should check it out.
Funny you mention Batman, because this new series has a nice dark feel to it that is similiar to what you find in many of the well- written Batman books.

Naszir
24th August 06, 03:30 AM
The book is a very dark, and to me well written, story. Moon Knight's origin was always funny to me and this book has played that up.

Phrost
24th August 06, 07:54 AM
It is it in graphic novel format?

OZZ
24th August 06, 10:35 AM
No.

JimmyTheHutt
24th August 06, 02:02 PM
If you liked it then, you will like the new series twice as much. You should check it out.
Funny you mention Batman, because this new series has a nice dark feel to it that is similiar to what you find in many of the well- written Batman books.

While I am enjoying it to an extent, it seems overly pendantic and seems to lift far too much from the The Dark Knight Returns. On the plus side, they are doing a marvelous job of painting the guy as a complete nutball.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

OZZ
21st January 07, 09:17 PM

Just to update..the first 6 issues of the new series are now available in Graphic Novel format.

Shawarma
22nd January 07, 11:03 AM
I love the term "Graphic Novel." A word invented for the sole purpose so that adults don't have to feel ashamed they're reading comic books.

bad credit
23rd January 07, 12:36 AM
I checked it out the other day. Moonie beats my favorite villian Taskmaster by taking multiple crossbow bolts and living, thereby intimidating Tasky. Gay. You fail again Marvel, just like everytime you revamp (no pun intended) the Blade comic.

Time travelling in issue 2 to team up with Doom's pregnant gypsy witch mother against an army of vamps? WTF? Yeah, that shit woulda been great for the Blade movies. Assholes.

Oh, and Tony Stark as the villian of Civil War? Anybody remeber the Armor Wars? Tony would never act this way. I just know that a year from now it'll all be Kang time travelling and mind controlling Iron Man. Seriously, FUCK YOU Marvel.

Shawarma
23rd January 07, 01:02 PM
LOL at you expecting quality storylines in a recent marvel comic book,

OZZ
23rd January 07, 04:13 PM
I checked it out the other day. Moonie beats my favorite villian Taskmaster by taking multiple crossbow bolts and living, thereby intimidating Tasky. Gay. You fail again Marvel, just like everytime you revamp (no pun intended) the Blade comic.

Time travelling in issue 2 to team up with Doom's pregnant gypsy witch mother against an army of vamps? WTF? Yeah, that shit woulda been great for the Blade movies. Assholes.

Oh, and Tony Stark as the villian of Civil War? Anybody remeber the Armor Wars? Tony would never act this way. I just know that a year from now it'll all be Kang time travelling and mind controlling Iron Man. Seriously, FUCK YOU Marvel.

Yeah, Marvel sure lost it somewhere along the line. I like the Moon Knight series, but that bit with Taskmaster was a bit weird. They sure painted him to be a loser in that story, I always thought he was cooler then that.
Oh well, I'll give it a couple more issues and if it continues to slide I'll drop it.
Have you read the thread entitled "Another Reason To Hate New Comic Books" I started a while back? Similiar grievances to your own ..that also apply to the DC Universe.
What a damn shame. Comics used to be great.

bad credit
31st January 07, 04:33 AM
I miss Crystal Comic's Eagle by Neil Vokes.

OZZ
29th March 07, 10:13 AM
For those interested in the whole Captain America saga..the latest issue of Moon Knight features the final meeting between Cap and Marc Spector.
Cap tells him what he really thinks of him.

Neildo
29th March 07, 10:56 AM
izzat #9?

OZZ
29th March 07, 11:41 AM
izzat #9?

Neildo
29th March 07, 11:56 AM
Aw, you got my hopes up.

I already have a scan :p
http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Moon_Knight_008_008.jpg (http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/Moon_Knight_008_008.jpg)

PizDoff
16th April 07, 04:51 PM
No you di-nt!!!

So browsing this thread shows people with brains seem to like it, where can I get a copy?

OZZ
16th April 07, 10:01 PM
In Toronto you can go to the Silver Snail..one of the best hobby stores in the city;
367 Queen st. west...

Artful Dentures
16th April 07, 11:13 PM
In Toronto you can go to the Silver Snail..one of the best hobby stores in the city;
367 Queen st. west...

I have a bag in my basement containing many of my comics I bought as a kid - All from the Silver Snail

Including 2 copies of Moon Knight 1

- also the Dazzler :( (common she was hot!)

The Warlord - DC comic that kicked ass

2 out of three of the first Wolverine series

X factor 1

my most valuable is on of the original Star Wars comics ($50 when I checked)

Does anyone but me hate how they ink comics now with computers?

They all look the same.

Silver Snail - I loved that place! Bought all my orignal D & D stuff their

(22 years ago - Holy Fuck!)

Neildo
17th April 07, 10:24 AM
Yeah, the computer inks on the glossy paper makes it cost twice as much as newsprint and old-style printers. That's why i hate it.

WarPhalange
17th April 07, 08:39 PM
I love the term "Graphic Novel." A word invented for the sole purpose so that adults don't have to feel ashamed they're reading comic books.

I thought "comic book" was like one issue, and "graphic novel" was a bunch of them put together?

Shawarma
18th April 07, 10:06 AM
Don't think so. Sin City comics are referred to as Graphic Novels, and they were ever only issued like that, as far as I know.

OZZ
18th April 07, 04:35 PM
Actually, graphic novels are supposed to be comics in hard bound covers with adult themes and mature subject matter.
The Dark Knight Returns is widely considered to be the first true graphic novel. But the term is being flung around in many different ways now..mainly for marketing purposes.

Neildo
18th April 07, 04:57 PM
No ads in GN's either.

I thought "comic book" was like one issue, and "graphic novel" was a bunch of them put together?

Those are called TPB. (Trade paperback)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_paperback_%28comics%29

OZZ
28th April 07, 07:30 PM
Issue # 9 was pretty cool. Features Moon Knight squaring off with one of the only characters who may be loonier than him (maybe..) a gent called Midnite.
The issue also leaves off with Spector leaping from his helicopter amidst the chaos of Civil War onto a rooftop already occupied by Frank Castle aka The Punisher.
Next ish could be very interesting.

AAAhmed46
29th April 07, 07:28 PM
Can anyone give me a background on Moon knight? Id wikipedia him up but wiki doesn't give one the idea of a charecters persona.

Osiris
29th April 07, 10:24 PM
Features Moon Knight squaring off with one of the only characters who may be loonier than him (maybe..) a gent called Midnite.

I thought you were gonna say Iron Man.

OZZ
30th April 07, 11:22 AM
Can anyone give me a background on Moon knight? Id wikipedia him up but wiki doesn't give one the idea of a charecters persona.

In a nutshell:
Marc Spector, former spec ops, former mercenary. Given powers that coincide with the rising of the full moon by Konshu (a god from South American Mythos, I believe) that included increased strength and stamina, night vision. He was something of a 'super -hero' in one sense of the word in certain story lines. But the line between hero and vigilante/psychopath has been very hazy - especially as of late.
Was thought to have died, but only broke his back and became addicted to painkillers and depressed. Now functioning at pretty much full capacity physically, but suffering from psychotic episodes and wracked with self doubt. He is operating much as a vigilante at the current time, with no real goals to speak of.
It should be noted that Spector no longer has the powers given to him by Konshu. They have been taken away from him, perhaps as punishment?
First Appearance: Werewolf BY Night #32
There is a lot more to it..but that will get you started, anyways.

Naszir
1st May 07, 12:16 AM
In a nutshell:
Marc Spector, former spec ops, former mercenary. Given powers that coincide with the rising of the full moon by Konshu (a god from South American Mythos, I believe)

According to the story Khonshu is the Egyptian god of the Moon and depending on the writer vengeance. He was also a West Coast Avenger for a bit. His powers were dependent upon the writers at the time. Some played up the mystic connection while others made him a no guns version of the Punisher or Marvel's answer to Batman.

OZZ
14th August 08, 12:52 PM
If anyone is reading this series or interested i the character..Issue # 20 just came out and it seems the book is getting good again. Absolutely fantastic art..#20 was a Giant -Size which featured a reprint of Moon Knight's 1st apperance way back in Werewolf By Night # 32 , or somewhere around there..
Anyways, I revived the thread because I thought it was worth bringing to people's attention that they may be going to kill off Marc Spector in the next issue.
Not 100% sure..but anything is possible in the modern Marvel Universe nowadays. They killed Cap, Sabretooth bit the dust, the Hulk had a son and half the goddamn heroes in the Marvel Universe are Skrulls so who knows what the hell can happen.
The art in that last issue is really great, and the story is pretty cool too.
Moon Knight, as Naszir pointed out, is like Marvel's Batman in the present stories. But he is completely crazy , not just a little disturbed like the Dark Knight.

Artful Dentures
14th August 08, 05:59 PM
Now all we need is a redo of .....

The Warlord!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/58/Warlord67.png/250px-Warlord67.png

Neildo
14th August 08, 11:40 PM
thanks for the heads up ozz. i'm gonna go be an asshole now and go download the scanz. yeeheehee.

Sun Wukong
15th August 08, 01:58 AM
i don't really like the new moon knight stuff. he's too batshit crazy and it looks like the writer's have taken it as an excuse to make extremely nonsensical story lines.

Scrapper
15th August 08, 10:19 AM
They are keeping the plots frentic, that's for sure. I'm liking it though. Deodato did teh art last issue and his shit is always good.

I don't think they're gonna kill spector, I think they are getting rid of the Bushman/Khonshu/imaginary friend bit is all. Marc will continue to be Moon Knight without the religious aspect.

That is my thought on it anyway.

EuropIan
15th August 08, 10:41 AM
I always thought Moon Knight had an awesome costume.

Going to check it out.

Sirc
27th August 08, 01:41 AM

Wow. Just... wow.

So... Genius McSmarty. Did you actually think there isn't a difference between a "graphic novel" and a "comic book." Really?

Please God, tell me you actually believe this.

Shawarma
27th August 08, 06:12 AM
Interesting. Someone actually took offense at this. Surprising, even when that someone is SirC.

What is the difference? They look like comic books to me.

Sirc
27th August 08, 01:25 PM
Interesting. Someone actually took offense at this. Surprising, even when that someone is SirC.

What is the difference? They look like comic books to me.

No please, go on with your idiocy. I want to know why you think there isn't a difference. Your bullshit has been detected and I'm bringing down the hammer of fallacy on you.

OZZ
27th August 08, 01:53 PM
Take your argument to another thread you little whiners..this is for people who want to talk about the Moon Knight series.

Shawarma
27th August 08, 02:01 PM
Wasn't aware there was an argument. Really, I don't see the difference other than in naming, and SirC refuses to extrapolate. Can't say I really care enough to make it a debate.

Sirc
27th August 08, 02:13 PM
Wasn't aware there was an argument. Really, I don't see the difference other than in naming, and SirC refuses to extrapolate. Can't say I really care enough to make it a debate.

No but you care enough to try to ride the, "I'm a cranky bitch" wagon to post how much better you are because you apparently, don't read.

I'll explain:

You see, A graphic novel is a collection of a story that just so happens that the story is told with pictures and word bubbles. They're usually bound together and roughly about 100ish pages or more long. Lots of literary novels have been translated to graphic form to give it a different perspective. The narration is turned into story boards and dialogue into word bubbles. But it doesn't go one way, a lot of graphic novels have been turned into literary novels as well, taking the story and bringing it all down on paper in words.

A comic book isn't a graphic novel because it's not a complete story. It's literally a piece of a story. It'd be like if you took A book and ripped out a couple of pages and called it a novel. A comic book isn't bound to anything else except for the little excerpt. Unlike Graphic Novels, comic books are usually serial in nature and you cannot get the full story just by reading the single comic book. Graphic novels have the entirety of the story in one go.

That is not to say that a collection of comics thrown together for a single story arc is a graphic novel. That is a trade paperback. For universes like Marvel or DC, there can't be a graphic novel since the universe ties in with so many different stories. So they put them in trade paperbacks. A graphic novel is as it's term. A whole novel told primarily with storyboards and art.

Shawarma
27th August 08, 02:17 PM
So, a LONG comic.

Sirc
27th August 08, 02:25 PM
No.

That's like saying an SUV is just a big sports coupe.

polishillusion
27th August 08, 03:19 PM
No please, go on with your idiocy. I want to know why you think there isn't a difference. Your bullshit has been detected and I'm bringing down the hammer of fallacy on you.

Just like when you lost your staff position on sociocide, but refuse to take the tag out of your profile? That kind of hammer of fallacy. I tremble.

Sirc
27th August 08, 03:24 PM
Just like when you lost your staff position on sociocide, but refuse to take the tag out of your profile? That kind of hammer of fallacy. I tremble.

What? I'm still a moderaotr, I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

polishillusion
27th August 08, 03:27 PM
What? I'm still a moderaotr, I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Yeah, you are the best moderaotr ever.

Fail hammer.

Sirc
27th August 08, 03:33 PM
You're really really trying now. You've lost it.